• Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

B6D36F5A-3A75-4F46-834C-72A2D231A7DC (resized).jpeg
9967D06F-6CE2-4AE5-952E-7CB5F2D33BC9 (resized).jpeg
A7DBC3CD-98A1-4144-B2AD-9EE8B16B2E35 (resized).jpeg

#1 3 years ago

In the planning for my game room I knew I wanted a wall-mounted CD jukebox (which doesn’t come with its own speakers). We have Sonos in the game room and throughout the house so adding Sonos to the jukebox seemed like the way to go.

I wanted to share an overview here in case someone else wants to do the same. I couldn’t find any info online, so maybe this will help someone in the future.

My juke is a Rowe CD100 wallphono. Storm model but this should likely work for any of the Rowes of this era.

- Before I mounted the unit I removed the amp (no longer needed since the juke itself wouldn’t be driving any speakers) and the bill collector for the DBA. This freed up critical space.

- In the space where the amp was, I mounted a backboard behind the cabinet. I used the screw holes for the amp. I left open space on the bottom corner to feed in the power cord (more on that below).

- I mounted a Sonos Port to the backboard. This is an unfortunately over priced device that lets you take any audio input and make it a source for your Sonos system. I plugged the RCA outs from the volume leveler into the Port.

- I use Kasa smart plugs throughout the game room so Alexa can turn on any game. The Port and the Juke both need power so I went Kasa smart plug -> extension cord -> “Y” extension cord splitter -> Sonos Port & Juke. The cables are zip tied in the space where the bill collector was. This way, when the smart plug is turned on the juke & Sonos Port turn on together.

- And that’s it from the hardware side. On the software side, the Sonos app has an excellent setting for the Sonos Port where you can make it that whenever the Port gets audio in, it starts playing on one or more Sonos devices. That way, when someone picks a song, it automatically turns on the Sonos speakers in the game room and starts playing.

A lot of trial and error along the way but I’m quite happy with the result!

A7DBC3CD-98A1-4144-B2AD-9EE8B16B2E35 (resized).jpegA7DBC3CD-98A1-4144-B2AD-9EE8B16B2E35 (resized).jpeg9967D06F-6CE2-4AE5-952E-7CB5F2D33BC9 (resized).jpeg9967D06F-6CE2-4AE5-952E-7CB5F2D33BC9 (resized).jpegB6D36F5A-3A75-4F46-834C-72A2D231A7DC (resized).jpegB6D36F5A-3A75-4F46-834C-72A2D231A7DC (resized).jpeg
#2 3 years ago

Cool.
What's Sonos?

#3 3 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

Cool.
What's Sonos?

It's what put RCA out of business.

#4 3 years ago

I have Sonos Play 5 in my game room too. Smart plugs to turn on 60% of my games. Alexa echo to play Amazon prime music to Game room (Sonos). And wife to bring me a drink.

#5 3 years ago
Quoted from RCA1:

Cool.
What's Sonos?

It’s a cloud-based distributed audio system. You can play audio (Spotify, Apple Music, podcasts, turn tables, jukeboxes, etc) throughout your house wirelessly.

Audio quality is better than a lot of gear but far from audiophile quality.

But it’s pretty easy to get music going in sync throughout your house or play different things in each room.

#6 3 years ago

Very nice job!

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/added-sonos-to-jukebox-pics-inside?hl=scootss and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.