(Topic ID: 176939)

Added new speakers to GNR- not impressed

By Haymaker

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider haymaker.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 7 years ago

After reading tons of posts about how aftermarket speakers really woke their games up I decided to give it a try myself. I was just going to do pinball pros or something but after more reading decided I could save some money putting together my own kit. I ordered these speakers: https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00BF6HWF4/ref=mp_s_a_1_1 and just got around to putting them in yesterday.

Well, I am not pleased with the sound. They don't sound any better than stock and I'd say if anything they sound worse because they seem to have a really scratchy sound to them. From what I read I was expecting a night and day difference, but man, it's certainly not.

Am I missing something? Did I do something wrong? Do these speakers just suck? I'm about ready to put the original speakers back in. I was so excited to have this GNR rock my socks off

#6 7 years ago

Lol what the heck? I see all these guys ranting and raving about how great speaker upgrades are and now everyone here says they suck! Pinsound board is something I'd like to get because I'm aware the stock "source" audio is not very high quality, but it won't be for a while until I pony up the cash. Seriously though I was at least hoping for some improvement. I'm going to pull it back apart again tonight and make sure I don't have some clearance issues or something. I did just pick up a powered sub today that I'll be putting on too and I'll keep my fingers crossed that that'll liven up the sound

#9 7 years ago

Lol I swear I don't have mod fever, but hell I guess I felt like I was missing out on a cheap easy way for good sound. I was happy enough with the factory speakers so now I feel even more foolish. Just makes me wonder how companies like flipper fidelity and PP can even stay in buisiness if it's so difficult to improve the sound even a little bit. I've dabbled with car and home audio for years so I figured I would have no problem adding pinball to the list. Lesson learned, thanks for the info guys

#32 7 years ago

Great info here. I might try another set of speakers in the future. I thought the fosgates would be pretty decent because I heard all these tales of guys using Pyle and other low end speakers with good results. Since the source audio is low quality a high end speaker wasn't needed. I got the fosgates because they are at least a somewhat reputable brand and I liked how they were coax but the tweeter didn't stick way out so I knew I wouldn't have clearance issues. Unfortunately the external sub I bought probably won't work because it uses an RCA jack vs regular speaker wire. I'm sure I could make it work but I figured I've cobbled enough together for now.

I can see some areas now where I've made mistakes and I might pursue going further soon and any other info is always appreciated!

#40 7 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

Ya mistake #1 is relying on brand because you are familiar with them. All about the speaker specs in this case

You're absolutely right, however I was paying attention to the specs, maybe just not realizing how important things like freq response and sensitivity were. Another thing I was thinking about was how I don't trust the advertised specs on the lower end speaker brands I see a lot of other guys using. Maybe that's where the aftermarket pin speaker companies have it figured out. They find found a budget speaker setup with the proper specs and rebrand them as their own.

Maybe I'm just trying to find the silver lining here but I feel like this thread has some of the most in depth pin speaker talk I've seen. Most of the threads/sites I read didn't get this technical. I like it!

#43 7 years ago

I've been lusting after a pinsound board since before I even got a GNR. Sadly I also need LEDs and a color DMD so it's gonna be a minute while I save my pennies! I guess I'm just building a foundation for when I do get the pinsound lol

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
6,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Chelsea, MI
$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 549.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Juz PINBALL Mods

Machine - For Sale
Franklin Square, NY
$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 45.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 49.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Lighting - Interactive
Professor Pinball

$ 18.95
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 24.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 25.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Richfield, MI
$ 28.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider haymaker.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/added-new-speakers-to-gnr-not-impressed?tu=haymaker and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.