(Topic ID: 77943)

Added flipper fidelity speakers to my machines and now I'm missing sounds!

By Geoffery

10 years ago

Topic Stats

• 7 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 years ago by Geoffery
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

I added a flipper fidelity speaker kit to my Tron a while back and I thought I wasn't getting all of the sound any more. It turns out that some of the call outs or speech was just really really low. I hoped maybe my ears were just playing tricks on me, but now I installed a FF sub to my Star Trek and I'm getting the same problem. One example is when starting "Prime Directive", Spock reminds Kirk of the PD, and Kirk says something like "why do you think I'm running away in a disguise". You only hear part of what Kirk is saying, and even then, it's really low. With the stock sub in, you hear everything fine.

Did I do something wrong with the install or is this "normal"?

#2 10 years ago

In the menu you can increase the sound of the call outs. The same for the actual music. see if that helps

#3 10 years ago

That didn't help . I did a sound test in the menu and I can hear the test sounds just fine there. If it was one machine, I might think differently, but since it's happening in both machines after installing the FF sub, it's almost as if that is the culprit.

Also, after installing it in the ST machine, I had to turn the overall volume up to get the same sound level.

#4 10 years ago

1) Have you emailed/called Michale @ FF?
2) Have you tried adjusting the BackBox L-Pad for less bass as it directly effects the BB Speakers sound output level?
3) Have you emailed/called Michale @ FF?

With the L-Pad, BB & Woofer Speakers you will normally need to increase your volume setting over the cheap-a$$ stock speakers to get to the volume level you had before you installed them.

Pretty sure the above is covered in Michale's installation & set-up instructions.

Pin - K

http://www.kimballspinballs.com/products.html

#5 10 years ago

What kit did you get?

#6 10 years ago

Geoffery,

Your observation makes perfect sense.

Stern does not use a woofer in their games, instead they use a full range 8" speaker. This is producing some bass with a bunch of midrange and little treble. To get more and better bass, replacement systems (mine included) use a true woofer with a low-pass filter to get rid of anything but bass coming from this speaker. This is the reason some voice calls will reduce in volume. With the lack of full range 8", we must rely more on the back box speakers to take up the slack. In my systems these are running full range for this reason.

Here are some settings you can make to bring the voice calls back to the appropriate volume.

Under Feature Adjustments:
#39 Music Volume set to -20
#40 Speech Volume set to -25
Yes, these are negative numbers, they are backwards from conventional thinking.

This will bring them back to what we will call expected volume. Personally, I no longer use the l-pad supplied with the system. It is there for the owner that wants the most bass they can possibly have. Then I set the game volume at anywhere from 52-55 depending upon my mood. These with the settings above will yield a great user experience.

I am always available for questions. I will not post my number here, but it is at the end of all my installation instructions on my website under "Flipper U" and also now included on paper in my systems.

Michael

#7 10 years ago

Changing the music and speech fixed it right up. Thanks! I had tried raising them, didn't think to lower them .

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 5.00
Playfield - Plastics
UpKick Pinball

Lighting - Backbox
Lermods

11,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Nashville, TN
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Lee's Summit, MO
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

13,500 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Howard City, MI
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 79.99
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

arcade-cabinets.com

Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 110.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 24.95
$ 115.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/added-flipper-fidelity-speakers-to-my-machines-and-now-im-missing-sounds and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.