image-286.jpg
image-211.jpg
image-533.jpg
image-734.jpg
image-774.jpg
image-326.jpg
image-455.jpg
image-807.jpg
There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

Well I should say I finished adding them tonight. I started right after TPF when Melissa at Cointaker hooked me up with a great price on all of them! It took many hours to get them all installed and I'm quite pleased with the results. I still have to drop the PF back in and get a pic of all the GI and inserts lit up at once, but it's gonna look good.

image-807.jpgimage-807.jpg

I made about a dozen little custom wiring harnesses like this.

image-455.jpgimage-455.jpg

Each one just drops into the nearest hole in the PF and gets routed underneath to power.

image-326.jpgimage-326.jpg

I wanted it to be tidy and easily reversible.

image-734.jpgimage-734.jpg

This distribution block started out as a temp fix to get them powered. I'll probably just put wire terminals on the wires and leave it in place. From here they will be powered by an independent 12v switched power supply.

image-774.jpgimage-774.jpg

Hope you like!

#2 9 years ago

Well what can I say....it looks like you added 36 LED star posts to your machine; Mission acomplished.

#3 9 years ago

I'm somewhat of a purist but I.can appreciate the hard work and that you made it reversible.

#4 9 years ago

Where did you tap power for the block?

#5 9 years ago

Looks AMAZING !!

i need to do something similar for my Space Invaders.
just ordered color changing LED's for under the popcaps, and have new popcap tops, since the originals were burned from standard bulbs.

bought these light-up kits at TxPinFest to install in Joust, but haven't done it yet.
lots of unscrewing and wiring. going to be a weekend project for sure.

how's the entire pin look turned on? all the other lighting on too?

cheers,
bb

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from sed6:

Added 36 LED post lights tonight

Insane!

#7 9 years ago

Thatsa lota work.
I assume SI uses normal jeweled posts; and not the ribbed ones.

#8 9 years ago

It had the Beehive ones.

#9 9 years ago

Here are the posts. I'm going to add a switched outlet inside the cabinet and plug in a 12v wall wart power supply. They were all just powered by that 9v battery in the first pic.

image-533.jpgimage-533.jpg

#10 9 years ago

Did you hollow out a recess in the posts for the LEDs, or are the posts sitting on top of them?

#11 9 years ago

They just sit on top.

image-211.jpgimage-211.jpg

#12 9 years ago

um- no.
You are going to break the top of those LEDs when the ball strikes the post... or and the very least twist off the LEDs/break solder pads.

Those post LEDs are designed for the hollowed out "Behive" eluded to before.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

um- no.
You are going to break the top of those LEDs when the ball strikes the post... or and the very least twist off the LEDs/break solder pads.

alluded

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

um- no.

I've played dozens of games with half the posts lit and haven't had a problem. Plus I can't go replace them all on the chance that some many break. Let's just hope their proper use hasn't eluded me.

#15 9 years ago

Thanks for posting this. It is always great to get some ideas on what can be done with LED lighting in any game.

#16 9 years ago

They look great! Nice clean install job.

I'm actually looking to do the same thing to my Baby Pac-Man, but with blue lights as all the posts are blue. Hopefully they'll work for me. The machine isn't even running all the new LED's I put in it now. I don't know why they aren't working or what's wrong. I'm thinking of buying a whole new light board for it. We'll see.

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from Pinfidel:

They look great! Nice clean install job.
I'm actually looking to do the same thing to my Baby Pac-Man, but with blue lights as all the posts are blue. Hopefully they'll work for me. The machine isn't even running all the new LED's I put in it now. I don't know why they aren't working or what's wrong. I'm thinking of buying a whole new light board for it. We'll see.

The light board for Baby Pac is unique to that and Granny and The gators. Don't buy the Altek LED lamp driver for it. If you have lamps out check your connector.

#18 9 years ago

Years ago when I first showed up at PPE with this mod, using it for GI was my intention. It evolved rather quickly to what it is today.

Steve

#19 9 years ago

I do like the look of the lit posts, but not the connecting lugs and wires hanging outside at the posts base. IMHO they oughtta make them with the lugs to the buttom side for wire drill size holes contained within the posts footprint. thered just as easily be room for 2 3mm LED's, 2 tiny holes for their long solid wire legs to reach through, holes so small they dont de-structure anything.

not trying to be trollish to you at all, I'm critical about what THEY created and called underpost lamps.. all that stuff hanging outside a post sure isnt under it!

#20 9 years ago
Quoted from sed6:

They just sit on top.

When I first saw these LED posts on Robs table at expo a few years back, I thought they looked pretty cool. But when I noticed the board hanging out the bottom (as in that picture) I wasn't interested anymore. The PDI posts that put the LED bit entirely inside with just a wire coming out are so much nicer, IMHO.

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

The PDI posts that put the LED bit entirely inside with just a wire coming out are so much nicer, IMHO.

And what, 3x more expensive? I agree they look a lot better in most cases, but they are cost prohibitive for doing something ambitious like this. If you are just doing the slings I can see it. I have the CT ones installed on the slings of a couple of different games and I never notice the little boards sticking out.

#22 9 years ago

Thanks for all the feedback. It really was a labor of love. I'll say that the boards and wires simply disappear from sight once the plastics are installed and the game is turned on. Sure you can go looking for them and find them but none are noticeable when you're standing there playing.

#23 9 years ago

Looks pretty cool! Let us know how they hold up! I've only ever put on the slings and they burnt out kinda fast May have just gotten unlucky

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from zizzlemeplease:

...IMHO they oughtta make them with the lugs to the buttom side for wire drill size holes contained within the posts footprint. thered just as easily be room for 2 3mm LED's, 2 tiny holes for their long solid wire legs to reach through, holes so small they dont de-structure anything...

Good point and I thought about that too. Only problem I found was with reversibility. If the wires go thru the PF they must then be soldered to the lights while you're working above the PF. To remove them, for whatever reason, you'd have to desoldered them first. With my method I can create the mini harness at my workbench and then just literally drop them in place.

#25 9 years ago

I like it. Saw the Funhouse at TPF next to Chris and Melissa. It had them as well. Thinking about doing that to my Funhouse restoration.

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from jrivelli:

Looks pretty cool! Let us know how they hold up! I've only ever put on the slings and they burnt out kinda fast May have just gotten unlucky

I have had a set on the slings in my Judge Dredd that is on location for a few months now and still working fine. I have mine hooked to my coils and flash when the slings fire.

#27 9 years ago

Looks great sir. Thanks for posting this info and pics.

#28 9 years ago

How do these compare to Great Lake Modular post lights?

http://www.greatlakesmodular.com/products/pinball/spl_kit.html

I thought CT used to get these from GLM?

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from raddroxx:

I like it. Saw the Funhouse at TPF next to Chris and Melissa. It had them as well. Thinking about doing that to my Funhouse restoration.

I restored that funhouse for Chris and Melissa a few years ago. I love the looks of light up star posts. I plan on doing it to my baby pac as well.

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from Gov:

I have had a set on the slings in my Judge Dredd that is on location for a few months now and still working fine. I have mine hooked to my coils and flash when the slings fire.

Oh, cool. Flashing may be more helpful as mine were constantly on

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from iwantansi:

How do these compare to Great Lake Modular post lights?
I thought CT used to get these from GLM?

Those are $4 more per post! Cointaker being a very solid pinball company, I would go with them no question. I missed out on the 20% but these babies are going in my pin on the next sale.

#32 9 years ago

The extra $4 per post gets you a hand-built (by me personally, in the USA) star post light with ultra-highly color matched LEDs (probably the most expensive being used in the industry). It also gets you a star post light that both illuminates AND flashes at the same time. And flashes from not one, but TWO separate trigger sources (coils or flasher triggers) simultaneously without any additional hardware in most games.

It is (as far as I know) still the most advanced and versatile star post light on the market for anyone wanting to create the ultimate lighting experience, especially on the older SS games built before the use of flashers.

Yes, CT did distribute the original GLM star post light for a very brief period of time. After all, they did need a good template to copy from...

Oh, and to the OP, I would seriously consider using a dremel to remove the bottom ring and extra plastic so the LED's/solder joints aren't being compressed. FWIW.

#33 9 years ago

The "problem" you guys have with this design ... boards sticking out is really odd.
Would you rather have to drill into the PF to mount wires?
Would you rather have to dremel the post to get wires out?
Seems counter-intuitive to me... as most people want a reversible, bolt-on mod.

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from GLModular:

The extra $4 per post gets you a hand-built (by me personally, in the USA) star post light with ultra-highly color matched LEDs (probably the most expensive being used in the industry). It also gets you a star post light that both illuminates AND flashes at the same time. And flashes from not one, but TWO separate trigger sources (coils or flasher triggers) simultaneously without any additional hardware in most games.
It is (as far as I know) still the most advanced and versatile star post light on the market for anyone wanting to create the ultimate lighting experience, especially on the older SS games built before the use of flashers.
Yes, CT did distribute the original GLM star post light for a very brief period of time. After all, they did need a good template to copy from...
Oh, and to the OP, I would seriously consider using a dremel to remove the bottom ring and extra plastic so the LED's/solder joints aren't being compressed. FWIW.

$4 extra per post x 36 star posts = $144 extra? Star posts are 20¢ apiece. I can't justify that added expense. Also, are your leds made in USA? Just curious

#35 9 years ago
Quoted from raddroxx:

$4 extra per post x 36 star posts = $144 extra? Star posts are 20¢ apiece. I can't justify that added expense. Also, are your leds made in USA? Just curious

Yes, $144 could light the rest of the pin with LEDs. It might be hand made but is $144 worth it? Most LEDs are made in China but he may have some US maker (that's why the price would be almost double).

#36 9 years ago

Well if you don't mind drilling through your playfield, you should be able to do all 36 posts for under $8 with a DIY approach. Not everyone is going to go to that extreme though.

As for LED's (and most raw electronic parts), I doubt there are any made in the US except for exotic parts destined for military and industrial applications (Ultraviolet C band LEDs springs to mind). Not sure what kind of point you are trying to make here, it's been this way for decades.

#37 9 years ago

I've seen GLModular assembling these by hand at TPF in years past.
I don't think this is really relevant to the OPs original post. GL just came in to say his have a higher feature set than others on the market at a direct request from one of this threads comments. I don't think it was his intention to say the op should have used his.

I do find it concerning that others have ripped off his work with an inferior product. I guess imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

#38 9 years ago

Thanks, Zitt, you have read my intentions clear.

Honestly, when I put out the first commercially available LED star post light, I fully expected knockoffs to appear. I had no allusion otherwise. My goal is to just to stay ahead of the curve and make the best one I can.

Each star post light out there has advantages and disadvantages depending on the end application. There is no one single perfect product out there. Quite honestly, if the OP only wants to light up posts and do nothing else, then the CT one was probably the best choice.

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from GLModular:

I didn't research post lights prior to buying these at TPF (they were kind of an impulse or consolation purchase since I didn't find a $3k TSPP to buy). Do you have a link to yours?

I did though consider trimming them, but that won't work out well. I'd have to trim so much away for them to fit that they'd be standing on one skinny leg in the middle with no edge support to help when the ball strikes it. I also considered switching to a different style post, which I may do if these prove problematic.

Here my SI post is next to a new one I pulled off my Mustang. It's design will work well with post lights. So I'm thinking about buying another 40 or so sometime and doing the same to my Mustang Pro!

image-105.jpgimage-105.jpg

This post has been installed for a few week now. You can see it has slid back from ball impacts. I just loosened the nut and moved the post light back to match. Only one other post that has seen good use has moved, and it only half as much. Fingers crossed for continued luck.

image-286.jpgimage-286.jpg

#40 9 years ago
Quoted from GLModular:

The extra $4 per post gets you a hand-built (by me personally, in the USA)

My point is you are trying to make it seem that your product is made in the USA, when in fact it is just ASSEMBLED in the USA. Just sayin'.

#41 9 years ago

I don't feel bad for him that others are making them now and selling them for less, originally GLM took the idea from me and I wasn't flattered at all.

Steve

Quoted from Zitt:

I do find it concerning that others have ripped off his work with an inferior product. I guess imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

#42 9 years ago

handbuilt == assembled
just a different way of saying it.

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

I don't feel bad for him that others are making them now and selling them for less, originally GLM took the idea from me and I wasn't flattered at all.

*sigh* if anyone wants to bother reading old stuff from a year and a half ago (and it was old news then):

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/anyone-gotten-lighted-star-posts-to-activate-with-slings

But to recap:

Rally Play's Rally Girl, circa 1966. Yes, 1966. Nearly 50 years ago.

http://mirror2.ipdb.org/images/3599/image-12.jpg

Rally Play's Play Boy, circa 1967:

http://mirror2.ipdb.org/images/3601/image-6.jpg

Rally Play's West Club, circa 1967:

http://mirror2.ipdb.org/images/3601/image-13.jpg

I still remember when I finally got to see a West Club at PPE. Absolutely stunning game.

But somehow some people still believe they invented the internet...

Bild17b.jpgBild17b.jpg
Bild18.jpgBild18.jpg

#44 9 years ago

LOL, Bottom line is that I applied LED's to existing posts before anyone else did. You saw my mod and had them for sale at the next show. There's an old RGP thread that goes into it better than the Pinside link you posted.

Steve

#45 9 years ago
Quoted from sed6:

I didn't research post lights prior to buying these at TPF (they were kind of an impulse or consolation purchase since I didn't find a $3k TSPP to buy). Do you have a link to yours?

Sure:

I apologize, normally I would have been at TPF, but things didn't work out this year.

Quoted from sed6:

I did though consider trimming them, but that won't work out well. I'd have to trim so much away for them to fit that they'd be standing on one skinny leg in the middle with no edge support to help when the ball strikes it. I also considered switching to a different style post, which I may do if these prove problematic.

Here my SI post is next to a new one I pulled off my Mustang. It's design will work well with post lights. So I'm thinking about buying another 40 or so sometime and doing the same to my Mustang Pro!

If you aren't set on the concentric ring posts, then my advice would be to switch them for the standard style, as this will work best with the existing designs out there.

Quoted from sed6:

This post has been installed for a few week now. You can see it has slid back from ball impacts. I just loosened the nut and moved the post light back to match. Only one other post that has seen good use has moved, and it only half as much. Fingers crossed for continued luck.

You may have to fill the center shaft with something that will harden to prevent the post from moving. May be more trouble than it's worth. Also, the tabs are extremely close to the metal posts on the back side. This is a potential issue with both the CT and GLM designs.

The Pinball Decals one would be good for this kind of tight area, but I believe these are lit only, GI lamp run versions. No idea how well these would work mixed with others as they are a two LED design, not four.

#46 9 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

LOL, Bottom line is that I applied LED's to existing posts before anyone else did. You saw my mod and had them for sale at the next show. There's an old RGP thread that goes into it better than the Pinside link you posted.

Same info there as well.

See you Friday. Don't forget your wrist band this year!

#47 9 years ago
Quoted from GLModular:

But somehow some people still believe they invented the internet...

that was me

also built the world's first tag based browser to run on unix based internet.

#48 9 years ago
Quoted from blownfuse:

Steve

Where do you sell yours at currently? Looking to get a few and id support the original person

#49 9 years ago

I hear ya, thanks for the interest but when my plans to ramp up selling my LED post mod got shot down, I decided that I didn't want to compete with my own idea so I sold off all of the boards I had made, switched gears to another mod and got out of the way. All the mods I do now are for me, I don't sell or show off anything I make anymore ... sorry. If you really want that type of mod, you'll have to pick from one of the existing guys, they'll gladly take your money.

Steve

Quoted from jrivelli:

Where do you sell yours at currently? Looking to get a few and id support the original person

#50 9 years ago

http://www.pinballnews.com/shows/pagg2013/index.html

"Bay Area legend and Gottlieb System 80 guru Steve Charland, who brought his stunning Mars God of War with his own design of illuminated flipper mod."

Quoted from blownfuse:

All the mods I do now are for me, I don't sell or show off anything I make anymore

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-mod-illuminated-flipper-bats

Quoted from blownfuse:

Nothing new about it, been doing that LED mod for years and taking it to the PAGG show for 3 years. I'm surprised it took PPS so long to copy the idea.

Quoted from blownfuse:

I'm surprised it took PPS so long to copy the idea.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 149.95
Boards
Allteksystems

$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Lighting - Led
Pinballrom

$ 18.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

2,600 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Massapequa, NY
$ 5.00
Cabinet - Other
UpKick Pinball

2,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Li, NY
$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 9.00
Cabinet Parts
Third Coast Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 63 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/added-36-led-post-lights-tonight?hl=durzel and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.