(Topic ID: 317571)

Addams: What connector(s) for power to 7 opto board?

By EvanDickson

1 year ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20220704_172931118~2 (resized).jpg

#1 1 year ago

My 7 opto board seems to have about 0.4V DC between J3-1 and J3-3. I think this is the source of my switch issues. I can't find anything in the manual or schematics that ties J3 of the 7 opto board back to something on the power board. Can anyone tell me what connector(s) on the power board (assuming power comes direct from there) provide the 12V to J3 of the 7 opto?

Solution:
The 12V and ground wires were pulled out of connectors in the backbox. Took an educated guess that I could wire them in to J118 with like colored wires that were supplying the correct voltage, and it was correct.

#2 1 year ago

In the lower left corner of your power board are four little connectors.

Three of them are identical, and someone could have plugged your opto power into J116, J117, or J118.

Check to make sure J119 is plugged in while you are there.

The 12v you are looking for is supplied from J112 in the extreme upper left corner of the power driver board. It goes through Fuse 116, (top left corner of the power board), LED 7 is it's indicator that you have power, and you can check the voltage at TP1.

It's terribly common to miss plugging in J112 when working on the power driver board.

#3 1 year ago
Quoted from PinRetail:

In the lower left corner of your power board are four little connectors.
Three of them are identical, and someone could have plugged your opto power into J116, J117, or J118.
Check to make sure J119 is plugged in while you are there.
The 12v you are looking for is supplied from J112 in the extreme upper left corner of the power driver board. It goes through Fuse 116, (top left corner of the power board), LED 7 is it's indicator that you have power, and you can check the voltage at TP1.
It's terribly common to miss plugging in J112 when working on the power driver board.

Interesting. LED 7 is lit. I have 13.86V at TP 1, which is in spec. J116, 117, 118 and 119 are all plugged in, as is J112. Fuse 116 is good, tested with multimeter out of circuit. Everything is snug, and jiggling / unplugging and replugging did not help.

I wonder if the 7 opto board is just fried. It seems unlikely, it's a pretty simple board.

I guess I'll first repin all those connectors and reflow the headers. If that doesn't work, I'll order a new board.

Thanks for the info!

#4 1 year ago

Capacitor likes to leak on the board.

1 week later
#5 1 year ago

I'm getting closer. I've realized there were two pulled wires hiding in the back. These two wires are continuous to the 7 opto board 12V and ground. Not sure which connector they belong to. I suspect j118 because it has 2 similar colored wires (grey/yellow, black), but have posted in the Addams thread to get someone to verify for me. I'd hate to connect them based on assumption and short something else out. Will close this thread as resolved once I get confirmation.
IMG_20220704_172931118~2 (resized).jpgIMG_20220704_172931118~2 (resized).jpg

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/addams-what-connectors-for-power-to-7-opto-board and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.