Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

ball 3 (resized).JPG
ball 2 (resized).JPG
ball 1 (resized).JPG
empty trough (resized).JPG
#1 5 years ago

I thought I had this solved (see a couple other recent threads,) but I'm stumped again. Every time I try to start a game now, I get a Pinball Missing error and the game tries to search for the balls, which are all in place. I put the game in switch edge test, and each of the trough switches registers when I roll a ball over it, and they all show closed with the balls in place. I'm at a loss for what to do next.

#2 5 years ago

optics should show as open when ball is in place, shouldn't it?

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from wdennie:

optics should show as open when ball is in place, shouldn't it?

Addams doesn't use optos in the trough, just regular switches.

To the OP: You have 3 balls in there correct? Try the switch edge test again and make sure it registers ball trough switch 3 then 2 then 1 when rolling in the first ball. Watch the display and make sure each switch registers and the #1 switch indicator stays lit. The add ball 2 and then ball 3. Make sure all 3 indicators are lit for each ball. Make sure is says that they're ball tough switches. A bad, broken or missing diode on one of the trough switches (or anywhere else for that matter) can play all kinds of havoc. You think that's the ball trough switch you saw activate but it says "G" target or something else. So, make sure the trough switches are actually the ones actuating when the balls are rolled in.

#4 5 years ago

For clarity, top to bottom is trough empty, ball 1 in place, ball 2 in place, ball 3 in place:

empty trough (resized).JPGempty trough (resized).JPGball 1 (resized).JPGball 1 (resized).JPGball 2 (resized).JPGball 2 (resized).JPGball 3 (resized).JPGball 3 (resized).JPG
#5 5 years ago

And yes, each registers properly as I roll the balls in place.

#6 5 years ago

I would reproduce the issue naturally again and get into switch edges and see what the game is seeing - but don’t touch the trough at all, open the door and go to diagnostics.

#7 5 years ago

Good idea! Of course, this time, there was no pinball missing error. BUT the game served two balls. So...I put a screwdriver into the trough to hold balls two and three in place after the first was served. The ball 1 actuator is slightly bent out of position, so when ball 1 is launched, the actuator cannot get back to the open position. Now working on proper adjustment and will report back shortly. Thanks!

#8 5 years ago

Ok never mind. Sounds like you figured something out.

#9 5 years ago

Well, this is aggravating...I've reproduced the 'serve two balls problem' about a dozen times now. At first, it appeared that ball 2 was preventing the ball 1 actuator from coming to its open position. I corrected that. Then it appeared that the actuator itself was preventing it, and I made another minor adjustment to the actuator. With no ball in place, the switch arm that the actuator rests on now comes all the way up to the open position. However, it still serves two balls on ball 1. If I replace the second ball in the trough, I can complete a game normally. That is, the game doesn't serve a second ball on ball 2 or 3. Really odd.

#10 5 years ago

If those switches are old - I would simply replace them...

#11 5 years ago

Agreed, I'd order and replace with new switches for the trough, kickout, and plunger to rule out inconsistent issues. Flaky switches will drive you nuts.

#12 5 years ago

Thanks guys, I've got some switches around here somewhere...

1 week later
#13 5 years ago

Had to order switches, which will arrive today. In the meantime, I've been fiddling with the switches and took SLO-MO video of the action to see if it really was a physical problem with switch closure or timing. Thus, I repeated game startup multiple times. As I was doing so, I noted a message that flashes up for less than a second as the game boots up. Just before PRESS "ENTER" FOR TEST REPORT, I get a very quick - less than 1 second on screen - msg that says GND. SHORT ROW 1 IS STUCK CLOSED. No idea if this is related, but again, everything else seems to be working just fine. That is, the GND. SHORT messages flashes, then the boot sequence completes, and other than the two balls served on ball 1, everything else is 'normal.' If I put the second ball served back in the trough, I can complete a game, and everything I can activate seems to be working fine. Anyone ever seen anything like this?

Thanks!!

#14 5 years ago

OK time to install the new switches. I thought I'd test one more idea before doing so. My theory was that is may yet be a timing issue with the switches, so I blocked the second ball from rolling forward. Waited a beat, and then allowed it to roll into position, with ball 3 behind it. This time, the game did not launch a second ball. Power off, power on. Started a game. Only one ball served. Mind you, I have done nothing to the machine since the last post, other than think about what the problem might be if replacing switches doesn't correct it. Power off and on again. I did not see the GND. SHORT message pop up. So I played a game normally, or as normally as you can with no apron and the launch lane partially disassembled. Everything seems to be working as it should, even started a quick multi-ball. While I was cradling the ball with the left flipper, it suddenly failed and will not fire at all. Small THING flipper still fires, but my lower left flipper is dead. Honestly, I'm almost afraid to raise the playfield. Maybe if I just think about it a while, it will fix itself...

#15 5 years ago

All of the original problems returned once I reassembled the trough and reinstalled the apron. ***SIGH***

#16 5 years ago

New info - I was going through edge test on the Row 1 switches, as well as examining the switches and the White-Brown wire for obvious shorts. Not sure if this means anything, but when I get to the shooter lane switch and close it, it shows the switch closing , then flickers, and causes all 4 of the Bookcase Optos in the associated column to flicker. Never seen that before...Any thoughts?

#17 5 years ago

Nobody....?

#18 5 years ago
Quoted from bobnatlanta:

New info - I was going through edge test on the Row 1 switches, as well as examining the switches and the White-Brown wire for obvious shorts. Not sure if this means anything, but when I get to the shooter lane switch and close it, it shows the switch closing , then flickers, and causes all 4 of the Bookcase Optos in the associated column to flicker. Never seen that before...Any thoughts?

This sounds like either that switch or the wiring may be grounding out. You could try removing and cleaning that switch and closely inspect the wiring, see if some part of it may be rubbing against some metal somewhere.

2 years later
#19 2 years ago

Did you ever resolve the problem?

I am getting a similar problem on FT with a missing pinball error, and then two balls get served and both are auto launched.

I can sit down at a distance and watch an entire multi player game fully play out on its own.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 84.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

$ 35.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
$ 26.99
Playfield - Other
Lee's Parts

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1,059.00
€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 19.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/addams-pinball-missing-error?hl=wdennie and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.