Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Yellowdog
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

#1 9 years ago

I am having a recurring nightmare of an issue with my Addams Family lower right flipper. The symptoms are that it will lock in the up position in game mode. It appears to just be the holding current windings and not the strong current windings that remain energized.

So far, I have:
- replaced the coil
- replaced both diodes on the coil
- swapped a Fliptronics II board in
- replaced all of the transistors for the lower right flipper on the Fliptronics I board
- verified all the resistors and diodes for the lower right flipper on the Fliptronics I board
- verified the EOS switch

The last one is where I started to tear my hair out. When I put the game into switch test mode, the flippers all work 100%. They flip and return as expected. If I put the game into game mode, the lower right flipper locks up on the first press of the flipper button.

When I have swapped Fliptronics II boards in, it has almost always worked for a while. Then the stick up occurs again. When I swap the original Fliptronics I board back in, it almost always works for a while. I have checked and all the connectors are good. No broken wires. Switch test looks good.

If anyone has ever seen this and wants to share the fix, I would be most appreciative. I am about to the end of patience with this issue.

Thanks,

ken

#2 9 years ago

First: Play until the flipper sticks up. Immediately switch machine OFF. Does flipper stay up or fall?

#3 9 years ago

Swap flipper button leaf switches and see if problem moves.

LTG : )™

#4 9 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

First: Play until the flipper sticks up. Immediately switch machine OFF. Does flipper stay up or fall?

This way you determine if it is mechanical or electrical issue. If it stays up, replace the nylon bushing that houses the flipper bat. If it drops, continue searching for an electrical issue.

#5 9 years ago

Flipper falls when powered off.

If I press on it lightly when it is stuck up I can feel the coil is energized.

ken

#6 9 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Swap flipper button leaf switches and see if problem moves.

To add to this when the flipper is stuck, look at the cabinet leaf switches and see if they are stuck together.

#7 9 years ago

OK, so now you know it's electrical, not physical binding.

I agree with the above. Start up a game with the glass off. Take the ball out of the shooter lane. Gently raise the playfield and prop it on the kickstand. Flip the flipper while inspecting the switch the cabinet button pushes closed and make sure when you let out on the switch, that the contacts separate.

I want to say there's three blades there, with a center blade that has two contact points. Check the other side for reference.

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from cody_chunn:

that the contacts separate.

And there isn't anything shorting the fiberboard spacers between the blades.

#9 9 years ago

I'll try to take a look at it tonight. I know it registers the EOS when I manually move it in the switch test. I don't recall if it is a single or double switch though.

Thanks for the suggestions. Keep 'em coming.

ken

#10 9 years ago

I am pretty sure its a double switch (working from memory)

#11 9 years ago

The flipper switches are double switches. The EOS switch is a single.

Well, it seems to be fixed now. I finally just pulled the EOS switch and replaced it. When I looked at the old one, somebody had used sandpaper on it and it had cratered one side, so it was mostly making contact some of the time. As I am writing this, I realize I should have taken pictures of the bad switch as a poster child for why you don't use sandpaper on switches.

It wasn't as quick a decision as it sounds from the above. I tried verifying connectivity by hooking my multi-meter to it and manually flipping it. I put it into voltage mode and clipped it to the solenoid. What really killed me was when I had the meter on the coil it refused to lock on at first. In hindsight, what I had done while manually closing the switch was to slightly adjust the switch to allow new areas to contact each other. Eventually it failed and the voltage stayed on. While it was locked on, I lifted the playfield to verify that the switch was closed. When I touched it, the coil released. That was when I decided I didn't have anything to lose by replacing it.

Next time, I will just replace the switch. But all in all, I am much more knowledgeable in the ways of the flipper. So I have that going for me.

Thanks for all the help. It encouraged me to keep trudging along until it got resolved. Next up Whitewater and the two flipper reset!

ken

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 84.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

$ 159.00
$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.99
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

16,000 (OBO)
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

30,000 (OBO)
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 67.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 27.99
Rubber/Silicone
Comet Pinball

$ 1,159.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 1,159.00
$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/addams-lower-right-flipper and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.