• 21 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 months ago by Skippy2904
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 1 year ago

Machine boots and plays fine.

Except the Lower left flipper stays energized AFTER you press the flipper button. Upper flipper operates normally.

It is energized, not mechanical and falls when power removed. I've inspected the assembly and flipper buttons, nothing unusual.

Never worked on a Fliptronics 1 board before. Any hints here?

#2 1 year ago

If a flipper goes up when you turn on the machine, it's a transistor issue.

If it goes up and stays when in game play you push the flipper button and it stays up. First thing check is if the leaf blade switch is stuck closed ( or if a TAFG if the opto interrupter is working the opto right ) Second is check that both diodes are on the flipper coil, not broken, and soldered on tight.

LTG : )

#3 1 year ago

Leaf blade is good and unobstructed.
Had a broken Diode leg that I soldered back in place, no change. I may have broken this when checking them.
Swapped out a known good coil, no change.
Re seated all the connectors and ribbon cable on the fliptronics board. no change.

Any other ideas besides swapping out the board?
I've got a spare Fliptronics2 from a Judge Dredd (no optos) I'd be swapping in if that is compatible.

#4 1 year ago
Quoted from Black_Knight:

I've got a spare Fliptronics2 from a Judge Dredd (no optos) I'd be swapping in if that is compatible.

Won't work. Your game is the only Fliptronics 1.

Had a broken Diode leg

I'd replace it. 1N4004 or 1N4007

#5 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

Won't work. Your game is the only Fliptronics 1.

I'd replace it. 1N4004 or 1N4007

Replaced the whole coil w/diodes, scavenged it from the Dredd that I'm working on.

Funny that the pinballife replacement runs both 1&2. Just trying to figure out what this is before spending money on one. There isn't anything visibly bad on the flip board.

#6 1 year ago

Funny that the pinballife replacement runs both 1&2. Just trying to figure out what this is before spending money on one.

The board Pinball Life sells will work in all Fliptronics games. Addams which uses Fliptronics 1 and all the others that use Fliptronics 2. It's a dual board, works great.

#7 1 year ago

Turn the pin on. Without starting a game manually move the flipper to the up position. Does it stay? Start a game and do not hit a flipper button. Manually move the flipper to the up position. Does it stay?

#8 1 year ago
Quoted from The_Pump_House:

Turn the pin on. Without starting a game manually move the flipper to the up position. Does it stay? Start a game and do not hit a flipper button. Manually move the flipper to the up position. Does it stay?

As outlined in the first post, it is not mechanical.

It occurs after you press the flipper button, and releases when the power is removed.

The flipper moves freely when pushing the bat or pushing the plunger in manually.

#9 1 year ago

As outlined in the first post, it is not mechanical.
It occurs after you press the flipper button, and releases when the power is removed.
The flipper moves freely when pushing the bat or pushing the plunger in manually.

He was asking you to move the flipper during gameplay manually to determine if the hold winding was constantly energized. If you did this, it would help determine if there may be a transistor issue. The coils are double wound so the hold winding can be energized while the main high power is not

#10 1 year ago
Quoted from Jmckune:

He was asking you to move the flipper during gameplay manually to determine if the hold winding was constantly energized. If you did this, it would help determine if there may be a transistor issue. The coils are double wound so the hold winding can be energized while the main high power is not

#11 1 year ago

Bad transistor, should be easy to test with a multimeter to find the bad one.

Here is a link from ChrisHibler on how to test - https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/fliptronics-2-tip-102-resistorswhat-powers-what#post-5276200

#12 1 year ago
Quoted from Jmckune:

Exactly. Just wanting to see if the hold winding is always energized when it shouldn’t be which could point to a bad transistor or the hold winding having a path to ground from a short in the wire harness.

#13 1 year ago

The hold winding only energizes after using the flipper button.

I pulled the board this morning and all the transistor test good and identical across the 8 tip102s and the 4 Tip36.

At this point I'm going to order a new flipper board and hope for the best.

#14 1 year ago

Pretty sure mine tested pretty identical but I replaced the TIP102s for my upper flipper and the issue resolved.
Will be a lot cheaper to try that first.

#15 1 year ago

I pulled the board this morning and all the transistor test good and identical across the 8 tip102s and the 4 Tip36.

If a BJT tests "good" it is NOT necessarily good. If a BJT tests "bad" it is definitely bad.

I have a TIP102 that tests "good" but when installed instantly shorts collector to emitter.

#16 1 year ago

The hold winding only energizes after using the flipper button.
At this point I'm going to order a new flipper board and hope for the best.

Swap the left and right opto boards and see if the problem follows the board.

#17 1 year ago
Quoted from The_Pump_House:

Swap the left and right opto boards and see if the problem follows the board.

Addams doesn't have flipper button opto boards.

Addams Gold does.

8 months later
#18 1 year ago

Seeing the same issue on a friends TAF.

Press left button, flipper holds until powering off, or letting game go into ball search mode (coils firing) or by repeatedly pressing right hand flipper button. Transistors all test ok in the board.

Curiously, the right hand coil was sparking and on investigating, have found a second thin (low voltage holding coil?) wire loose. Moved it around and now the flipper fires up when rh button pressed but immediately drops. Doing this after the left flipper has been energised, causes the left flipper to drop.

Suspect 2 issues at play. Dodgy rh coil and a bad transistor.

Question - which tip102 transistor to replace for the lower left flipper to release? Q9 or Q10

Skippy2904

#19 1 year ago

First check that the coil diodes are good and properly connected.

#20 1 year ago

Lower Left Hold is 9
Lower Left Power is 10

1 month later
#21 11 months ago
Quoted from Skippy2904:

Seeing the same issue on a friends TAF.
Suspect 2 issues at play. Dodgy rh coil and a bad transistor.
Question - which tip102 transistor to replace for the lower left flipper to release? Q9 or Q10
Skippy2904

Can confirm that after changing both coils, the problem with the right hand flipper was fix. The low voltage winding wire was broken.

The fix for the left hand flipper (flipper energised) was traced after testing that U2 on the flipper board was ok, to Q9. Changing that fixed the flipper energising and staying held up.

Skippy2904

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 19.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 140.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 35.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 35.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

$ 29.99
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 29.95
€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 320.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/addams-flipper-energized?hl=papakilo and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.