Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 65 posts
  • 39 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 11 years ago by HighSpeed1
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 11 years ago

Short answer yes

#52 11 years ago

Let me throw some more fuel on the fire... and (before I start) please note, I'm not going to hype my own TAF which I posted FS last week. But since I just mentioned it, I will also mention Mike's Black TAF which also looks very nice. In fact I'm hoping to play it this week if I have time.

The link provided by the OP described a mid-level shop-out, not a restoration. IMHO, for a machine priced at $7K, I'd want to play it first. Seriously, look for bargain airfare and then take a day off to go play it before committing to purchase.

You won't know how well it will play till you see for yourself. Better yet, you need something to compare it to, so play as many different examples as you can before you buy. For example, at Expo this week there were several TAF games available to play. They all felt different.

Now, here's an example of a really, really expensive TAF. Remember this FS post from May?
(Please note that I shortened it some, but it is still long.)

This is the best TAF you will see, hands down. This is a ground up
build from all new parts.

Pics are here: https://plus.google.com/photos/105394408854149779428/albums/5759564857659004001?authkey=CJ3Mwo3ru5fNeQ

We used a donor machine for some unique parts but most
parts are NOS. Includes so many unique things I will try to list what
I remember:

1 - New cabinet - clearcoated - looks like a piano it shines so much
2 - New NOS clearcoated playfield
3 - Black nickel chrome trim, lockdown bar, and legs
4 - PDI translucent plexiglass backboard with TAF specific items on
it. This is lit from behind with GI as well as specific feature
lights that light up certain items on the backboard that match game
play.
5 - All metal ramps and parts are polished smooth
6- New Rottendog DMD and power-driver boards.
7 - Custom lighting under the playfield and above using EL wire and
carefully placed spots
8 - Lights added in key places to brighten the dark areas of the game
so at least you can see where the ball is. The lighting is not over
done and the use of LEDs is very specific so the game still has a nice
dark feel.
9 - Flipper fidelity speaker system
10 - Gold roms
11 - all the typical mods, uncle fester with light up bulb, magnet fuses, LEDs in the pops and in some inserts, etc. Not over done on the toys.
12 - Repro translite. The only thing that I think should be replaced
with a great condition original when found or the new repros that are
being made.
13- The thing box is lit by EL from below and has the decals on it.
14- Thing was painted for detail down to his dirty fingernails.
15- The bookcase has the decals on it and was completely rebuilt.
16- The cloud topper has extra led flashers added and tied in for a
bigger effect.
17- There is a spotlight behind fester to light up the bookcase.
18- The bearkick sign is lit.
19- The swamp accelerators are installed.
20- Colored Cliffy posts installed.
21- The apron is clearcoated.
22- The flipper buttons are lit up.
23- The scoops is lit and the electric chair scoop has red and yellow
tied in for effect.
24- The Electric chair was painted for detail.
25- The speaker panel is new.
26- The speaker panel surrounds and lift channel are also black
nickle.
27- Cliffy protectors are all installed.
28- New clear ramp is installed.
29- New coin door.
30- New lock bar bracket.

Yes, all common, Williams assemblies were sourced and installed. Additionally, a private cache of NOS TAF parts such as the Thing mech, and various upper-playfield components were also incorporated in this build.

But what's my point? It's simple. Games in this condition just play better than shopped out players. BUT. Until you have played several, you won't know when you're playing the once you want.

#53 11 years ago

I would say about 5K +/-200. This is not HE look at the shooter lane and right side inlane there is visable wear. It does look like a very solid example but those have been going for 4800-5000 lately.

#54 11 years ago

Mines fairly nice and I only have $5500 on mine.

#55 11 years ago

I would nt pay $7000 for an Adams , but thats just me . All depends on the person how deep there pockets are ect .

I sold my MB for what i still think is stupid money and they've gone up even higher , so go figure .

#56 11 years ago
Quoted from davewtf:

He'd be better off buying any new in box stern.

I've decided to make this my first machine as I was attached to it as a kid. So I suppose I do give it a few extra points just because this is the only machine that I would buy right now. Also, beer is the greatest invention, even better than the wheel, inclined plane, or TAF.

#57 11 years ago

I would not pay 7k for that pin...regardless of condition.

#58 11 years ago

TAF is one of the greats. The sheer numbers made and its success on route backs it up. I think there were + 20 thousand made so its around in numbers , waiting to find one at a good price can be frustrating. I refuse to drop big money on any game that goes past new in box pricing and with the costs of the new Sterns I dont see many games I would drop 7~8 grand on period.

I wanted a TAF ( like everyone else) and looked for a long time until one popped up in my price range and distance to obtain. I shopped it and gave it the needed TLC and its a nice addition to my collection. I have not run into any adults than does not know the theme and that alone sparks interest. Unfortunately the pin market was invaded by a lot of flippers and some if not most titles are searched out and cleaned up like a used car lot and flipped for money. Its harder for a person that wants a title to find one at a reasonable price lately. I think the pin market pricing bubble will burst and the ones that will be hit the hardest are the guys that look at pins as an investment. I never , ever considered a coin op machine an investment but some have turned the market into that type of mindset. Be patient , save your money and be ready when a "deal" pops up.

I have purchased 2 NIB Sterns and I am done buying new games....or a 7 grand TAF.

1 week later
#59 11 years ago

Stay away from that Pinball Clinic guy in PA. I bought a High Speed from him, and it didn't have near the detail done to it that he said. He was sweating bullets when I looked at in person, basement was very dim with the lighting, had to ask him for a flashlight to examine the game. Looked good in the dark, I ended up going over it completely and finding many detailed things to address. Mechanically it was sound. He currently has a High Speed with a full playfield overlay priced too high.

#60 11 years ago

I bought my STTNG pin from Ron at Pinball Clinic as well. The pin looked great, but I recall having to get a repairman over to fix the pin shortly after I got it. I also could tell the DMD was used in another game due to some screen burn in that still could be seen after the pin was powered down (even though the advertisement stated it was new). I can't say it was his fault due to the mechanical failure because something could have shook loose during transportation. Plus, the lunkheads who delivered the pin was real jerks, even refusing to deliver the pin around to the back of my house where I had a walk out basement, instead dumping it on the driveway of my house. But it was the trucking service he suggested using. Heck, whenever I bought my pins from JJ that delivery was flawless, with the guy even wheeling the pins around to the back of the walk out and inside the mancave.

I just remember his customer service over the phone wasn't the best. He seemed agitated when I asked him about problems I had with the pin and I could tell he didn't want to waste anymore time with me. He eventually got a RS in stock and I called him to try to make a trade with him in regards to trading my STTNG pin (that he refurbished for me) for the RS, with me losing about $1000 bucks on the trade. He wouldn't give me the time of day on that one as well. Needless to say, he lost my business!

#61 11 years ago
Quoted from coz6:

Do not pull the trigger on this - they are fishing with this. They are trying to find a sucker for 7K don't be that person

Most pinball retailers fish for people who aren't that skilled at appraising a pins value. I've discussed pins with this particular retailer and he was offended that I was asking specific questions like:

- Are there any chipped inserts?
- Any playfield wear?
- Any fade on the decals?

Because he was asking so much $$, I thought all of these were valid questions. He quickly became frustrated with my line of questioning and made it clear he didn't want my business. This guy wants to deal with people who really want their new/shiny toy and don't know any better.

Nevertheless, if you are local to him and feel like checking it out in person, it may be more effective. I would never buy anything from him remotely. In general, I much prefer dealing with other collectors, who aren't in the hobby purely to make a buck.

#62 11 years ago

You are correct Snaroff. Most, not all, pinball retailers act like we insult them when we want to (kick a few tires) on a pin before we spend our hard earned cash on it. In fact, my last (5) pins came from fellow collectors on Pinside and my wife told me to make a promise to her that from now on when I buy a pin I get them from my buddies on Pinside because of the overall condition and price of the pins. Thanks Forbelsop and Coasterguy!!!

#63 11 years ago
Quoted from cal50:

Unfortunately the pin market was invaded by a lot of flippers and some if not most titles are searched out and cleaned up like a used car lot and flipped for money. Its harder for a person that wants a title to find one at a reasonable price lately.

I partly agree with this. Yes, it's EASY to find a 80's System 11 at a reasonable price. If you're looking for a solid 1992-1998 B/W title, that'll cost ya a lil' more.

D/E though - those you get cheap all day. After all those are junk

#64 11 years ago

I traded my excellent condition LOTR for a good condition TAF with a very nice cab. Too bad TAF has raised inserts. Anyway, the bargaining point was $3800. I still like the TAF more, though.

#65 11 years ago

I just have to laugh, he still has listed under his restorations tab what he does. Sanitized flipper buttons, coin door clean up, clean and polish legs, playfield touch-ups? My buttons were so gross, I replaced them, my playfield was touched up with peices of mylar to prevent further wear, my legs were painted silver to hide rust, I asked for new ones, while I was there, he refused. My coin door return slots had dried gum in them, needless to say I pulled the entire coin door assy stripped it, and re splatter painted it. The owners manual was a photocopy of only the diagnostics, and menu setup, the schematics were left out. I had to buy an original one online.
I bought a very nice sight unseen TAF out of California a year ago over Ebay, I inquired about it, he pulled it from the listing, and I bought it from him directly. Paid 3,500.00. The packing and shipping job was great. There were a few minor issues I had to address, which I expected. But for a sight unseen game I was very happy. I mainly found lots of burned out bulbs, 1 broken flipper, or coil platform, a few broken solder connections for wires. There are several TAF games on Ebay, and other sites, take your time and shop around. The good thing is there are so many NOS, and reproduction parts for this game still avail, including another release of the IPB playfield, that it's worth it to find one a little cheaper, that needs minor work.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 28.99
Playfield - Protection
Lee's Parts

$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 19.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 140.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 67.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 180.00
$ 84.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

There are 65 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/addams-family-worth-7000/page/2 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.