• 14 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Dahawk007
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

Hi Fellow Pinball hero's!
Here is a question from the Netherlands (so sorry for poor english). I am the proud owner of an Addams Family Pinball Machine. Ran perfect for many years. Now, for some months there is a problem with the voices. They are all there and usually everything is fine at start-up. Then after the first game they are suddenly gone. Music still there but voices gone. Sometimes the voices are gone at the start and can only be brought back to life by running the test program for sound/voices and then they are back for maybe one game. I have checked all the fuses, replugged (flat)cables and CPU's. I have spend many evenings scanning the internet for tips and hints, applying them all. Including checking the base speaker that can prevent sounds running to other speakers. So, in the end I have this intermitting voice / no voice issue. Anybody recognizes this (maybe same issue with other machines). Tips and hints welcome because I really really really like to play the machine and with the voices of it just is less fun

Appreciate your time reading / helping !!!
Regards, Roland

#2 9 years ago

Check for cracked solder joints for the caps on the sound board.

#3 9 years ago

Seen this several times before and its usually the 55536 cvsd chip.

#4 9 years ago

Thanks for thinking with me on this one. Will start to work on this straight away tonight! Keep you posted!

#5 9 years ago

Solder joints for the caps all ok. Checked all other solder joints on boards, no issues. Flat cables detached and clicked back on. cannot find the 55536 cvxd chip (need new reading glasses probably) but since the problem is sometimes there and sometimes not I expect there is nothing permanently broken. Keep looking, more tomorrow

#6 9 years ago

Intermittent means connection issue generally. I'd reflow the caps and all header pins, and see what that does.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from kbliznick:

Seen this several times before and its usually the 55536 cvsd chip.

As I've already said seen this exactly before and its the cvsd chip. Check the schematic, sometimes its a 55564.

#8 9 years ago

I have a similar issue except I lose all audio in my machine after about 5 minutes. Do you think that same chip is the issue for me? I can't find an answer yet and Im new to pinball repair.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from kbliznick:

As I've already said seen this exactly before and its the cvsd chip. Check the schematic, sometimes its a 55564.

I'd had success in replacing these before when the sounds cut out altogether, but there is still music, but haven't (myself) heard of an intermittent issue being as a result of one of these. Good to know.

Kris is pretty good with issues, so I don’t doubt him, and between the two things here, you should find your answer I think.

#10 9 years ago

Great help all. You really helped me to regain faith that I WILL be able to repair this

#11 9 years ago

The CVSD is at U17, I think arcadechips.com carries them, not sure who else. I have seen this on several WPC sound boards and numerous system 11 boards. Speech is there at boot up and after 30-60 seconds disappears, turning the game on and off will immediately bring back the speech but it soon drops out again. Sometimes it drops out gradually over a 5-6 second span and the speech deteriorates as it does so, other times it just suddenly stops, but all usually within a minute of starting play.

This chip only produces speech or speechlike sounds (like Grand Lizard has no human speech call outs but the animal sounds are all produced with the speech chip), so unlikely that this is the culprit for Dahawks game. I would check the caps and ribbons like Atomicboy said and then maybe move on the the amps or pre-amps (op amps) or the RAM, ROM's and Processor chip. I listed them in what I believe to be the order of likelyhood.

#12 9 years ago

Excellent advise KLB! Your description of the symptoms is spot on. Could not describe better. Will get to work on all the tips and hints (in the right order) immediately. It's a sort of fun (Penny would say)

#13 9 years ago

Roland, sorry if I confused you but the list of other possible issues applies to Dahawks game, although that is normally how you would progress if swapping .u17 doesn't fix it.

#14 9 years ago

Thanks for the tips. I'll try what I can and see where I get

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 27.99
Rubber/Silicone
Comet Pinball

$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1,159.00
$ 35.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

$ 26.99
Playfield - Other
Lee's Parts

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 159.00
$ 28.99
Playfield - Protection
Lee's Parts

$ 35.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 84.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/addams-family-voices-no-voices and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.