• Latest reply 2 years ago by LTG
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
#1 9 years ago

When the ball goes down the left ramp to the left flipper the flipper does not fire automatically like it should. The DMD screen shows that Thing should flip the left flipper but, I think, it used to announce that it was going to happen and I am not hearing that. Not positive about the announcement.
Would this be a board problem or mechanical problem?

#2 9 years ago

Check the opto there.

#3 9 years ago

Power off. Reseat ribbon cable from fliptronics board to CPU, both ends.

If that doesn't do it. Then go to Utilities and hit new location. See if it relearns the shot in about ten games or so.

LTG : )™

#4 9 years ago

Check all the switches... entrance to bear ramp, top of bear ramp, opto above thing flipper.

Report back.

#5 9 years ago

If the opto is working when the ball passes buy you will hear( gurgling)and see the swamp activate if thats not happenin make sure the opto is aligned .

#6 9 years ago

This happened to me to, but my situation may be a little more obscure. The rivet on the leftmost GRAVE stand up became loose and allowed the target to "lean" into the thing opto, shorting it. Thing would not flip and the swamp would activate randomly. Fixed the leaning target and all was right again.

#7 9 years ago

Go into your switch test and make sure that opto is working. Just run your finger or ball by the hole leading out of the popbumpers (above the small flipper). The opto may have been knocked out of place behind the "G" in grave.

#8 9 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Power off. Reseat ribbon cable from fliptronics board to CPU, both ends.
If that doesn't do it. Then go to Utilities and hit new location. See if it relearns the shot in about ten games or so.
LTG : )™

Thing was flipping so would I still need to do this step?

Quoted from dantebean:

Go into your switch test and make sure that opto is working. Just run your finger or ball by the hole leading out of the popbumpers (above the small flipper). The opto may have been knocked out of place behind the "G" in grave.

Went to switch edge test and not getting any response from opto behind the "G". Wiring looks good. Bad opto?

#9 9 years ago

Check the other side (sender) then.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from t2:

Went to switch edge test and not getting any response from opto behind the "G". Wiring looks good. Bad opto?

Not necessarily. Pull the opto connector and remove the optos. Reflow the solder pad connections and clean the optos with q-tip to get any black dust off. Reinstall making sure the optos can see each other thru the lane guides and test again.

#11 9 years ago

Found the opto bracket behind the "G" broken and the opto slipped down far enough to not be aligned with hole. In my dark basement and my shitty eyes it looked fine until I started to remove.
Any quick fix for these and do they sell just the plastic bracket?

Thanks for all the input, love to play, lost at trouble shooting and repair. You guys are the best!

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

Not necessarily. Pull the opto connector and remove the optos. Reflow the solder pad connections and clean the optos with q-tip to get any black dust off. Reinstall making sure the optos can see each other thru the lane guides and test again.

A pair of new optos are like $3 or something. If you're going to take everything apart and get out the soldering iron, why not just replace them. They'll go bad anyway eventually, right?

Edit - they're a little more expensive than I thought. $5 each from Marco without the plastic mount.

#13 9 years ago
Quoted from t2:

Found the opto bracket behind the "G" broken and the opto slipped down far enough to not be aligned with hole. In my dark basement and my shitty eyes it looked fine until I started to remove.
Any quick fix for these and do they sell just the plastic bracket?
Thanks for all the input, love to play, lost at trouble shooting and repair. You guys are the best!

Are you talking about this? http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-8506-1

#14 9 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

A pair of new optos are like $3 or something. If you're going to take everything apart and get out the soldering iron, why not just replace them. They'll go bad anyway eventually, right?

That's up to you, but it's not how I do repairs. I don't replace stuff unless it needs to be replaced whether its $3 or not.

If you see his response above you'll see opto replacement wasn't necessary at all.

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from schudel5:

That's up to you, but it's not how I do repairs. I don't replace stuff unless it need to be replaced whether its $3 or not.
If you see his response above you'll see opto replacement wasn't necessary at all.

That's a good point. I thought maybe my suggestion was more newbie friendly.

I went through this same issue with mine, took it all apart, re-flowed, put it all back together, and had the same issues. Had to order the part and do the whole thing all over again. If I had just replaced it the first time, I would have only had to do the work once instead of twice.

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from ryanwanger:

That's a good point. I thought maybe my suggestion was more newbie friendly.
I went through this same issue with mine, took it all apart, re-flowed, put it all back together, and had the same issues. Had to order the part and do the whole thing all over again. If I had just replaced it I would have only had to do the work once instead of twice.

I get that. But it can go the other way too. Buy the parts and replace and it still doesn't work. Then find out it was another connector.

There are ways of using your cell phone to test both the transmitter and receiver, but I wasn't going to suggest that just yet until he did the simple stuff first...

#17 9 years ago

Yes that's it but black. Glad I didn't place my new order yet would hate to pay shipping for only that piece.

Thanks again for all the the help!!!

#18 9 years ago

Mine would move every couple weeks so about a year ago I put this rubber around it ,never had a problem since

image.jpgimage.jpg
#19 9 years ago

PL has good pricing for these for a pair at $7:

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=167

Or just $4 for the receiver:

http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=169

7 years later
#20 2 years ago

I am having a similar issue with my Addams Family. The Thing flipper has stopped automatically flipping. It use to announce "let's go Thing" Then it would flip and make it most of the time. I have tried the recommended things to try that is stated in this thread. I have tried resetting cables, resetting it to new location, tried resetting to factory settings, checked the optos in test mode. It seems to recognize the ball passing thru the optos in the test. Everything else seems to be working. Is there an easy way to test the optos? I see that Marcos has them. I may just go ahead and change out the transmitter and the receiver. Is there anything else to try first? It's been a while since this issued has been addressed. Does anyone have any ideas? Thanks!

#21 2 years ago
Quoted from garyh999:

Does anyone have any ideas?

Once you do the new location, it takes at least 10 games to learn the shot.

LTG : )

#22 2 years ago

Thanks for the response LTG. I failed to mention that this seemed to start after I installed Cloud Topper lights. Or maybe that's just when I noticed it quit working. I doubled checked to make sure every connector is oriented correctly. I also recently installed the Color DMD. The Color DMD and the Cloud Topper both plug into J-116. Is it possible that there is too much load on J-116 and it's affecting the Thing automatically flipping? The Thing flipper is not even trying to flip automatically. I'll still give it 10 games or more.

#23 2 years ago
Quoted from garyh999:

Is it possible that there is too much load on J-116

Bingo. Unplug power to the color DMD. Play a bunch of games blind, see if things improve.

LTG : )

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 67.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 320.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 1,059.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 35.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 26.99
Playfield - Other
Lee's Parts

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/addams-family-thing-not-flipping and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.