View topic image gallery

20160818_123407_(resized).jpg
Capture1_(resized).PNG
2_(resized).PNG
20160726_035918_(resized).jpg
20160723_165345_(resized).jpg
20160723_165458_(resized).jpg
#1 7 years ago

Hi, I'm very new to owning a pinball machine and am learning alot as I go, but my tech knowledge is still very slim at best.

I'm having problems with the thing (skillshot) kickout hole on my Addams Family pinball machine, the plunger is firing but will not manage to push the ball out, so the ball just falls back in until thing comes out of his box to bypass the problem.
This first started happening around a month ago, and it seemed to me that changing the position of the plunger would solve the problem, so i removed the coil unit and replaced it with a washer under the screw in bracket nearest to the kickout hole, so lowering the plunger position and this worked for a week or two, then the problem began again, and nothing I've attempted has solved the issue.

I have tried attaching the plunger unit with and without the washer, I've tried bending the metal screw in bracket to change the plunger angle, and I have taken the coil unit apart, cleaned the plunger and sleeve ( didn't lube it as things I've read always state not to ) but none of this has worked.

Can anyone please help?
I'm hoping its just my limited knowledge, and this will be an easy problem to the expertise on here!

Many thanks.

#2 7 years ago

Photos of mechanism would help a lot. Above and below playfield if you can.

#3 7 years ago

A picture of the unit would be helpful. I'm assuming it has never worked correctly since you owned it? If everything is original (coil, mount, etc), then the angle should be fine. It's it missing or glancing the ball when it hits? Or is it weak and just not using enough force? I'm assuming the bracket that holds the unit to the play-field is secured and not loose? The coil sits snug in the bracket?

Without having all the information, I would look at the following: Test the coil, and make sure it's resistance is correct (look on Pinside on how to test). You could have a weak coil. The plunger tip could also be worn down, or not moving well (binding) in the coil sleeve. Or the whole mech could be loose, causing you to loose energy when hitting the ball......

I would start there...............

#4 7 years ago

It did work fine until a month or so ago, and I've had the machine since February. I wouldn't be surprised if the screw holes that connect the unit to the underside of the playfield could be getting a bit loose.
Would it be advisable to use wood filler to fill in the holes and remake the screw holes to see if that is the issue? Or is wood filler not strong enough for the job?

Thanks for the replies ?

#5 7 years ago

Also check to see if the welds have broken on your scoop. Mine did (curved part above the playfield!). Provided enough "slop" that the ball rattled coming out of the scoop and did exactly what yours is.

Before modifying holds...check to make sure the scoop is sitting tight (not wobbling) and that the sides and main part of the scoop's welds are all still holding. You shouldn't be able to move it or any part of it, so that the coils power goes directly in the ball.

#6 7 years ago
Quoted from Ratiganpin:

It did work fine until a month or so ago, and I've had the machine since February. I wouldn't be surprised if the screw holes that connect the unit to the underside of the playfield could be getting a bit loose.
Would it be advisable to use wood filler to fill in the holes and remake the screw holes to see if that is the issue? Or is wood filler not strong enough for the job?
Thanks for the replies ?

That is why some very experienced techs were asking you to post pictures. At least then they know what they are looking at and you would be very surprised what some of these guys can figure out from a few pictures.

#7 7 years ago

Thanks for all the advice, I will see about taking and uploading some pictures when i get the chance

#8 7 years ago

Hi again, sorry for the delay with pictures, difficult to find time between my work shifts at the moment.

Don't know if these pictures will help much though. My guess is still that the position for the whole unit is wrong, as the plunger hits the ball slightly up the side rather than underneath, but this is the position that solidly screwing the unit in gives. As I said before, I have considered filling in the screw holes with wood filler and repositioning the whole unit, does this sound like a reasonable thing to try?

Thanks again all.

20160723_165458_(resized).jpg20160723_165458_(resized).jpg

20160723_165345_(resized).jpg20160723_165345_(resized).jpg

#9 7 years ago

The alignment on the plunger is incorrect. Relative to the photo it is too far to the right. It should be centered in the notch and coming out at about a 45% angle if you move the lever by hand.

Loosen the mounting screws and try to get a better alignment on the hole. I would also check the solenoid mechanism for slop. Push the lever up with your finger so you can imagine where it is hitting the pinball. Or just put a pinball in the hole and then manually move the lever.

I don't have access to my TAF at the moment, but the plunger doesn't look right. I thought it was a piece of metal with a right angle bend at the end. Someone else can jump in on this I'm sure.

#10 7 years ago

Thanks for the reply. I don't seem to have a problem changing the position side to side, but it seems to me that the plunger needs to come down a bit lower to hit the ball more squarely , or the whole unit needs to move in so that the plunger moves further into the hole to be positioned at the deepest underside of the ball. I have to wait until Monday now to get some decent time to look at it again.

#11 7 years ago

By the way, just re-read my last post and realized it makes it sound like the problem was solved. I still have the problem, but meant that i can move the plunger to different angles side to side with no success to fix the issue, and it seems that the plunger position needs to move further into the hole to be more directly under the ball to push it out successfully.

Can anyone verify if the thing kickout plunger on my machine looks different from normal, as terryb suggested could be a possibility? The end of the plunger just has a clear rubber cover with a hole in the end.

Thanks again to all.

#12 7 years ago

I looked at my TAF both pre and post restore. From the pictures, it does not look like yours is mounted incorrectly. Mine looks the same, and works every time. You really can't move it further forward or it will impact the switch. I'm thinking it's possibly good.

Again, back to what i stated before:
- Check to ensure it is snug. Look for excessive play. is the mount loose? Or the coil not tight in the mech?
- I don't rule out a weak coil. Check it. Takes 5 minutes. Inside has guides on how to measure resistance of a coil
- Or the tip of the mech (ball shooter) is worn or broken. It's made of nylon. It's possible a piece broke off.

I'm leaning away from a mounting angle problem. This used to work, and would not stop suddenly due to it's angle. Has to be something above.

#13 7 years ago
Quoted from BrianZ:

Or the tip of the mech (ball shooter) is worn or broken. It's made of nylon. It's possible a piece broke off.

This is my guess. Replacing the plunger is always my last resort, but somehow always seems to be the correct fix.

Sounds like the tip of your plunger has been wearing down, and you've been keeping it alive with small adjustments, but now it's too short to hit the ball hard enough.

#14 7 years ago

Thanks for the advice guys. I've just used a multimeter on the coil. Used ohm 200 setting. It goes all over the place to start with and then settles on 20.1 minimum.

Is it possible to get replacement plungers and plunger tips for the thing kickout?

#15 7 years ago

This is a closer pic of the plunger tip. This is how it's always been since buying the machine back in February.

20160726_035918_(resized).jpg20160726_035918_(resized).jpg

#16 7 years ago

You just need to buy the whole plunger: http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-15371

(That is assuming that I read the manual correctly...which I believe labels this area as the "eject assembly" on page 2-38, and then has a diagram of it on page 2-22.)

#17 7 years ago

Hey thanks for that, I've just ordered the plunger assembly from Marcos, will probably be a few weeks before it arrives.

I'll be ecstatic if it turns out to be as simple a fix as that! I always tend to think its going to be something far more complicated.

#18 7 years ago

Let us know how it turns out.

#19 7 years ago

Will do.

#20 7 years ago

Had the exact problem with my TAF. Check the coil number. Manual says its a A-15368 "pink". When I got mine it had a stronger coil in it probably because the previous owner had the same problem. After replacing it for the correct size some months later it stopped popping out. Adjusted the mechanism many times and got it to work. After that I found it would not pop out if the flippers were up. This clued me on. After much checking I finally changed the solenoid IDC plug and header pins on the driver board and haven't had a problem since. A high resistance joint in the connector causing less voltage to get to coil when fired. The coil voltage was fine when it was at rest.

#21 7 years ago

Hi all, just to say sorry for the delay in replying, but i'm still waiting for the plunger rod part to arrive. Once it turns up I'll take it apart again and see if that sorts the problem or not. Thanks for the tip DSBDBB, I really hope the problem isn't the same as you encountered, as I think I will be out of my depth in that case.

#22 7 years ago

From my experience the manual states that it's a 30-2000 but the game had a 27-1200. I replaced it to a 30-2000 (as per the manual) and it wasn't nearly strong enough to kick the ball out. I replaced it back to the 27-1200 and everything worked correctly.

#23 7 years ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

From my experience the manual states that it's a 30-2000 but the game had a 27-1200. I replaced it to a 30-2000 (as per the manual) and it wasn't nearly strong enough to kick the ball out. I replaced it back to the 27-1200 and everything worked correctly.

Yes, sounds like this could be right. Sorry, I stated mechanism number. Mine had the 27-1200 as well which is white. The one pictured above is blue. I wonder what strength it is? If it is stronger than both of these then I think you may have a problem elsewhere.

#24 7 years ago
Quoted from DSBDBB:

Yes, sounds like this could be right. Sorry, I stated mechanism number. Mine had the 27-1200 as well which is white. The one pictured above is blue. I wonder what strength it is? If it is stronger than both of these then I think you may have a problem elsewhere.

Only OEM flipper coils had a real color scheme - you can't base other coils types based on color, unfortunately.

#25 7 years ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

I've always seen an 27-1200. At least on the 3 machines I have seen. My manual showed a 27-1200 (maybe there was a past miss-print)

#26 7 years ago
Quoted from DSBDBB:

I cant make out in the picture, but it looks like an original Williams label. Blue on Addams like this was a 26-1500. Believed that coil is normally used on the ramp gate.

Op maybe get us a better pic of the coil? I would have thought a 26-1500 would have had enough zip.

#27 7 years ago

Interesting, my manual defiantly states the 30-2000. Maybe they changed it in the factory but didn't get to updating the manual for a while.

2_(resized).PNG2_(resized).PNG

Capture1_(resized).PNGCapture1_(resized).PNG

#28 7 years ago

Yes, my manual states 30-2000 aswell. Still awaiting the plunger part to before arrive before taking it apart again.

#29 7 years ago

Hi all. Received the plunger assembly, but although it appeared to be minimally longer than the old one, the same problem is still present.

The coil is always thumping strongly when on test mode but drop a ball into the kickout hole and all it does is jolt the ball too weakly to push it out of the hole.

I've added another picture of the coil, clearly not what the manual states, but this has been working fine for the 4 months or so I've had the machine before the problem started.

20160818_123407_(resized).jpg20160818_123407_(resized).jpg

#30 7 years ago

I think this is a critical piece of info:

Don C.

Quoted from Ratiganpin:The coil is always thumping strongly when on test mode but drop a ball into the kickout hole and all it does is jolt the ball too weakly to push it out of the hole.

I am going to weigh in here, but I am no expert. I'm going to get a lot of the details wrong. I recall from Clay's guide that the older Williams' systems used a different signal source for game and test. I'm thinking this may be the case with WPC. In other words, the signal to energize the coil in the game mode (kinda) starts at the switch, then to the row and column drivers, probably some buffering and then a PIA to put a signal on the address bus, then that gets read by the game software as a call for a solenoid kick. Then a signal goes to the solenoid PIA, then buffers, predriver and driver. The test path signal comes from software in the ROMs and probably gets on to the bus near the ROMs. So the OP's comment about the difference in kick strength means that the difference the two paths is more on the switch side of the circuitry. I suspect that the ROMs might be dicey; with the test path working OK, but the strength (actually, the "On" time) of the signal may be corrupted and too short.

Could you borrow some games ROMs from another Pinsider or maybe get new ones burned?

Could someone who really understands the working of the WPC system take a look at my idea and see if there is any sense to it, or maybe it will trigger someone to find the real solution.

Maybe start a new thread or rename this one as "Need Help From a WPC Expert - AF Issue"

Anyway, good luck, I'm sure you'll get this fixed.

#31 7 years ago

Strange. If this were a flipper, I'd be suggesting that the coil is only firing to the "hold" circuit and not the full power circuit. It's certainly acting that way.

Reading back through, I see you've tested the coil's resistance, but have you put a volt meter on it to see how many volts it's actually getting?

Let's look in other places that are connected to that circuit, too. Trace the wire, with the help of the manual, to where ever it also goes and make sure that it's properly and fully soldered. Also check to make sure that those locations are properly grounded(earthed). A flasher circuit(which is what powers that coil) typically uses a ground trigger for the "on" signal.

It's time to start thinking outside the box….

#32 7 years ago

If I am correct the strength of that coil is somewhere in between the 30-2000 in the manual and the 27-1200 which appears to be normally installed in the machine.

First I would change the coil to the stronger 27-1200 to get it back to factory. This may solve the issue but the problem is the 28-1500 coil worked previously. If you have the correct voltage at the coil at rest I think it is potentially a bad joint in a connector on the driver board. If this is the case you will get the correct voltage at rest but a dip in voltage to the coil when fired. Very hard to check this because it happens so quickly. Check for tarnishing on the driver board pins where the solenoids plug in. Reseating the connector may also help temporarily.

Bad joints tend to get worse over time!

#33 7 years ago

I just tried a little experiment out of curiosity, I attached a piece of rubber to the end of the old kickout plunger rod, extending the length by about 1cm to see if the force was still weak even with the extra length.

I suspected that the longer length would stop the switch from activating when the ball fell into the hole, but I was proved wrong, and the switch still activates perfectly and the rod pushes the ball back out perfectly and effectively with good power behind it.

I seem to remember that when I first looked at the plunger rod quite a while ago, i noticed the rubber cover tip that you can see in the picture i posted further back had been pushed further up on the plunger rod, so that only half was on the rod and the other half was acting as extra length, but as you can see, this is too thin to really act as an extension, so I suspect the last owner has had this problem.

The extension I have made is stronger, but still a only a temporary ' bodge ' as it were, so i will see how long this lasts.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 1,059.00
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 84.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 27.99
Rubber/Silicone
Comet Pinball

$ 140.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 28.99
Playfield - Protection
Lee's Parts

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 1,159.00
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 180.00
$ 67.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 320.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
$ 159.00
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/addams-family-taf-thing-kickout-skillshot-issue and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.