20240419_123624 (resized).jpg
20240419_123607 (resized).jpg
20240419_123503 (resized).jpg
20240419_123438 (resized).jpg
20240418_151220 (resized).jpg
20240418_151930 (resized).jpg
20240418_142010 (resized).jpg
438922685_10161016172280211_6004500180515248965_n (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ricochet.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#8 4 years ago

Buy a project machine. Decide what big components you are going to replace (cab/playfield/etc...) and work it over time.

I don’t have a ton of disposable income ... so I’ve been slowly getting what I need for my Indy (since 2011)... and I’m finally putting it together.

You learn so much by just tearing it down it’s hard to explain. I thought I had it all covered but as I started to really dig in there was what felt like 2x more things I needed. Definitely death by a thousand cuts type of experience.

My next one will be an Addams. Can’t wait.

1 month later
#328 4 years ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

what size hole saw do I need? also, what type are the lights?
maybe this is one part i can start with .

5/8” hole for the lamp sockets. Those IDC lamp sockets are kind of a pain to source. If you find a source ... I’d be interested as well.

#329 4 years ago

Actually you wouldn’t have to use the IDC sockets if you are rolling your own... you could use a bayonet style socket and secure them with a 3/8 screw (like playfied GI sockets). The IDC is more for production efficiency. It all depends how authentic you want to be.

#332 4 years ago

Hmm... slightly different than what’s used on WPC but prob ok. The GI socket on WPC is a natural color. Later models of WPC used a black socket with an integrated diode for flasher bulbs.

#334 4 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

These are the exact sockets in the TAF. I ordered 100 when I did mine. I sold a few, but probably have enough for one more light board, maybe two.
https://www.pinballspareparts.com.au/24-8817.html

Yup!

1 month later
#482 4 years ago

I would not use any sort of twist drill to do this work!!! It requires a bit of finesse.

Ron Kruzman sells a nice dremel/glue install kit for dealing with cleaning clear coat out of the mounting holes of a playfield.

Seriously if you hit this with run of the mill twist drill bits you will regret it.

#485 4 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

No offense, but I do it all the time. The best thing to have is a set that goes in 1/64th increments. I have two. The one pictured is my rough set. I have another for finer finishing work like on playfields.
The key is to not remove too much at one time. I find the bit that just fits the hole, then use the next largest. I continue this way until I've got the hole I want.
Again, the key is the bit size. You want one with 64's.[quoted image]

None taken Bryan... You have a method here that works and you are very good at what you do. You are absolutely right by going in small increments.

#513 4 years ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

would these work?
I can put 'em in the next order with the remaining posts.
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-12359-3

Hes talking about the wooden rails that are mounted along the edges of the playfield itself...

You can get stock stuff and cut it yourself:
https://www.pinballlife.com/black-vinyl-wrapped-wood-rail-for-playfield-edges-1-18-x-12.html

But personally I would go with Reese Rails as suggested as they come cut and drilled properly ready to go (and made of solid oak... and coated nicely with black lacquer):
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/oak-replacement-playfield-rails-wh2o-and-taf-ready-to-ship-or-york

#520 4 years ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

I've been trying to look up info on how to install the pop bumper tops, but my google search skills suck. I'm only installing stuff that I know 100% for sure how to figure out. like the posts. I can only install the ones like these that I have clear images from other builds for. I'm trying to find good shots of the rest.[quoted image]

When I did (still doing) my IJ ... I didn't do much on the top (with the exception of the pop bumpers) until the mechs were in place underneath. Everyone has their own methods and depending upon what parts you have and the game itself... sort of dictates the order. I found myself getting ahead of things a couple of times and had to remove stuff because I wasn't intimately aware of the proper order of assembly. Pops are kind of a pain because they are mount on both sides of the board so I did those first. There are a few videos on youtube on pops.

#528 4 years ago

These: https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/237-5957-00
There are 3 per pop ... they hold the coil bracket in place under the playfield.

#566 4 years ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

theo ther question, what type of nut is usually used to lock the bolts into place?
The ones I have are clearly not proper, as they will come loose over time with serious play and not the same ones posted in the video above. I want to order a bunch of those too.

“nyloc” nuts ... they have a nylon insert in them to keep them locked.

#568 4 years ago

Not KEP that was my error, not sure why I typed that. You need nylon insert lock nuts

#661 4 years ago

Yes. They only have bare copper wire, nothing tinned. They do have a TON of color options though!

#663 4 years ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

So, would that wire be good for a harness?

It’s automotive grade wire. The insulation is quite a bit thicker... and it’s bare copper. Most electronic equipment (like pinball machines/amusement equipment) uses tinned copper wire. It provides a layer of protection against oxidation and corrosion. I wouldn’t use it... doesn’t mean it won’t work.

#665 4 years ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

So, does that look OK for the swamp parts?
Last main piece I have to attach. Not sure if it should be covering the rail hole or not...but according to the picture, that seems mostly right.[quoted image]

Welp this is one of those order is important things (no pun intended with “thing”). You’re going to have to remove that part to install the rail.

#667 4 years ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

That's OK. No problem there. just so long as it's in the OK General location .
At least by the time I'm done (If I ever get done) building this thing, I'll have a better understanding of how it all goes together .

Yes you will for certain. On my first tear down and rebuild I made a few sequence errors ... but as long as you don’t get too far ahead of yourself ... they are correctable.

#674 4 years ago

Take a break from installation... and spend a ton of time studying restorations and documentation. It will pay off. I mean study... every day.

#677 4 years ago
Quoted from ThatOneDude:

What about this stuff?
https://www.sherco-auto.com/striped-tracer-wire.html
Type III Class K tinned copper
Marine grade stuff

Yup that’s good wire ... just I don’t see anything smaller than 18AWG... maybe I missed something

2 weeks later
#720 4 years ago

Welp you've made the decision to use what you had available, they will function just fine... but technically they are these type:

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/4106-01042-20

... hardware in many cases can be substituted, but it all depends upon how authentic you wan't to remain to the original.

#730 4 years ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

yeah, I stupidly figured that out about halfway through when i noticed the first crack. even if I was going slow..

TaylorVA pre drills his rails for the correct screws

#733 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Yep, predrilled for tne #6
Fortunately cracks in oak are very easily fixed eith a little titbond and a clamp

You are absolutely correct the cracks need to be fixed and fixed this way.

1 week later
#799 4 years ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

been trying for the last hour . eventually I decided to see if it would go in without the plastic and no go. maybe I got the wrong size shaft? Roll pin 3/32" x 5/8" 20A-8716-2
thing is mostly built. two screws short to attach. and not sure if I have those wires on the right side before I solder. can't finish it util I get the hand, and magnet parts.
[quoted image]

Roll pins can be finicky. Be sure to look at the shaft, usually one side of the roll pin hole of the shaft is tapered a bit and the other side is not. Don't try to drive the pin into hole that is not tapered. The taper is in there so that the roll pin will easily compress as it goes in.

#806 4 years ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

tried a hammer, a wrench, the butt of a screw driver..... even with slight force didn't seem to work.. but it also wasn't secured to anything so I had to hold the pin mount while banging...

Roll pin punch...

rollpinpunch (resized).jpgrollpinpunch (resized).jpg
#828 4 years ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

I know I keep on saying it, but what the hell. hopefully THIS will be the last order for the month..placed tommorow.
Will then have a mostly complete Thing done. although the book case is still missing some parts as is thing.
Addams Family Playfield Plastic Set 31-1664-COMP (41 Pc) - IPB - PPS-31-1664-COMP
$169.00 $169.00
Bookcase Cover 03-8621 Addams Family - PPS-03-8621
$6.00 $6.00
Addams Family Thing Hand NOT DECORATED - PPS-03-8644
$40.00 $40.00
Total: $215.00
Spacer Spool for #8 Screws
Spacer Spool for #8 Screws Quantity
Quantity
$1.95
$29.25
1" Square Blue Rubber Pad With Adhesive Backing
SKU: 23-6629
⋮ SAVE TO WISH LIST
1" Square Blue Rubber Pad With Adhesive Backing Quantity
Quantity
$1.50
Williams/Bally Magnet Coil 20-9247
SKU: 20-9247_coil

You will be buying crap right up until the very end. It’s going to be at least an order of magnitude (probably more) greater than what you think.

#833 4 years ago

Would it make more sense to buy the complete assembles rather than rebuild components? I mean...unless you already have the brackets and coils? ...

https://www.pinballlife.com/full-flipper-assembly-for-williamsbally-machines-from-021992-to-101998.html

1 week later
#894 3 years ago

I'm not seeing any washers under your nylock nuts that are against the wood? Its a little thing ... but just wanted to let you know ... there usually are washers there.

1 week later
#947 3 years ago

Parts list is your friend. You need to populate those PCBs with the .156 headers and diodes before you screw them down (with the spacers installed).

03-8022-1 #6 spacer .541"

#949 3 years ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

yep, I knew I had to populate them first. But I wanted to make sure I had the proper spots for them first while I waited for parts to be ordered
does this spacer look right?
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-8022-1

yes... but you could find an alternative as long as the height is correct and it will fit a #6 screw. The nice thing about the original part is that it clips into the PCB and stays there so you can pre-build it or remove it from the play field without the spacers falling off. The holes in your PCBs are a bit larger than the #6 screw to accommodate for the clip on the standoff.

#1001 3 years ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

So, I am pretty s ure these two posts go here.
but how do they attach to the siderail there?
[quoted image][quoted image]

Pretty sure its a 8-32 stud plate...
A-12258-2 8-32 stud plt assy

studplate (resized).pngstudplate (resized).png
#1008 3 years ago

I can’t believe it but this thread is motivating me to attempt this myself. I’ll likely CNC the cabinet myself... Really the only thing that is a huge demotivator is the wiring... it’s not that it can’t be done... I’m just not interested in doing it...I would want it exact to OEM.

I appreciate Shredder565 ‘s zeal... it’s contagious

#1010 3 years ago
Quoted from AaronZOOM:

I also cannot believe you'd attempt something like this so soon after the completion of your last monumental project. Ambition level 100.

Right now ...it’s a thought. I got the CNC lined up ... Need to look at what other tools I need.

#1013 3 years ago
Quoted from sk8ersublime:

Local Pinsider with a CNC????!!! interesting.....

Ya don't need to have all tools and toys... ya just need to have the friends that have them

#1020 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Your soldering is ok.
Familiarize yourself with the schematcs.

... and the parts list.

Sorry to sound preachy but you should spend a sh*t ton of time with your nose in the books on this. Since you don't have a machine to reference... its going to be your only other reference material that describes how things are connected. Pictures are great but they only get you so far. Having a solid grasp of how things are wired... is going to be necessary... especially once you start connecting things up and really populating the underside of that playfield.

#1028 3 years ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

I am not the best solderer so how does that look?
I used up the last of my diodes so will have to order more. I guess they where out of stock and only had 15 to send.
[quoted image]

Soldering quality is a combination of experience, equipment and materials.

- What kind of solder are you using?
- What kind of soldering iron are you using... is it temperature regulated or not?
- Keep your tip cleaned and tinned.
- Before applying solder you need to heat up the point that you will be applying the solder.
- Don't apply the solder to the tip of the iron but to the pad and lead on the PCB.

It looks like your solder is may be bubbling too much... which could mean you've got some less than ideal solder.

#1031 3 years ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

-Alpha Fry Rosin Core made in mexico amazon.com link »
A Weller unit. 300W max found on amazon. amazon.com link »
not sure on the quality....

Quality solder makes a big difference (especially the quality of its rosin)... consider this brand:
https://www.amazon.com/KESTER-SOLDER-32117-24-6040-0027-Diameter/dp/B00068IJPO/ref=sr_1_2

Also... that link does not point to a 300W iron. It points to a 40W/80W station. The only 300W Weller I see is the big 'ol Weller trigger handled gun... that would not be the correct tool for the job.

#1034 3 years ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

Solder added to the cart. it says 300W Max on the side. not sure if that is what it is or not . again, not an solder expert
I've only done it once before with R2 and that was for his lights and sound.

As long as its not the soldering iron that looks like a handgun... with a trigger. You are probably ok. That 40/80W station is fine for what you need.

#1039 3 years ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

Nope, it was definitely the one in the link I provided above .
https://www.mcmaster.com/rosin-flux-core-solder
any of these solders do?
I need to order more screws from them anyway and it can get here tomorrow . might as well order from the same place.

Not sure what brand they are distributing. I've always used Kester ... so I can't comment. It's probably fine. 60/40 blend... I would keep the diameter between .05x and .03x. I prefer it on the lighter gauge ... but that's just my preference.

#1043 3 years ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

ordered. getting here tomorrow.
still can't believe I went through 100 hex screws already and still need more.

It never ends... until you are playing it. I ended up with a tackle box full of all the common stuff.. just stocked up on all of it when I did my restoration. You will nickel and dime yourself to death otherwise. When you comb through the parts list and look at all the different fasteners its mind boggling. Spend some time and stock up on the high volume commonly used items.

1 week later
#1084 3 years ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

one thing i almost forgot about from a few pages back.[quoted image]

You often need to correct the leads on the LED assemblies, they can get tweaked in handling... its common, just fix it manually.

#1085 3 years ago

I was looking at your pic from above... I noticed something that may just be an anomaly in the photo... but it looks like the metal guide is not actually aligned correctly?

mountinghole (resized).pngmountinghole (resized).png
#1087 3 years ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

I was oddly looking at that myself the other day and I hope it's just an illusion. I'll check again when I flip it back around. as for now...
let there be light![quoted image]

... as long as you are putting the screws into the dimples you should be fine... if something doesn't line up don't just drive it in... everything should line up.

#1096 3 years ago
Quoted from Walamab:

Beware of the dimpling on CPR play-fields. They aren't always in the right place to make the mechanics and lighting work correctly. Many are but I would recommend test fitting first and drilling/fastening where the part fits best. Just my 2 cents.
Great job so far!!!

Good to know! I just made an assumption here that they would be correct... and it would be also informative to know what ones are off... especially for someone with no experience with them.

#1109 3 years ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

The 555 bulb in it's twist socket will not fit. correct.
The 44 bulb in the socket for the smaller black connector will not go in that black socket. it only fits in the metal one. The black socket itself fits just fine. only the larger black socket for the 555 will not fit. and the manual states a 44 bulb should go in those two spots.

Those two spots are not for a 44 bulb... they are for a 555 bulb. Is the PCB mis-aligned so the bulb is actually hitting wood?

1 month later
#1275 3 years ago

Bummer. Yeah the screen printed back glass is thicker than standard glass + translite film... so the standard trim doesn’t fit well

... but you already figured that out.

Sorry man... that’s a chunk of change.

You’ve got a great spirit!!!

10 months later
#2301 2 years ago

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 35.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA
$ 26.99
Playfield - Other
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.99
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ricochet.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/addams-family-scratch-build?tu=ricochet and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.