20240406_101524 (resized).jpg
20240406_101512 (resized).jpg
20240406_101457 (resized).jpg
IMG_1033 - Copy (resized).jpeg
swiss cheese (resized).jpg
434977739_10160996941205211_7635654324432512187_n (resized).jpg
434968772_10160996941220211_6866425814742476146_n (resized).jpg
edited (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinball_hawk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1789 3 years ago

Interesting thread. Just referencing it because i am gonna build my own #TAFG at some point with gold rails, trim, and legs. gold pinballs too. i have been talking with other members about this in private, but i also wonder how much the transformer goes for. any help with transformer pricing so i can source it for my build, or any ideas on how to make one would be appreciated. this thread has shown me its possible. great community to be found by everyone who has gone through the thread at some point.

#1791 3 years ago
Quoted from JimWilks:

The key here is a proper soldering iron. It needs to be sized to the purpose. Too small and you won't get enough heat for this application. Too large and you will leave some burn marks.

i agree that the right iron for the job is something required. an auto solder feeding attachment would be nice but that's a convenience

#1793 3 years ago

nice. hopefully you have an led kit you enjoy. personally when i build, i will use cointaker leds. they were the kit i got for my machine, but since im doing custom im thinking chair gets bayonet bubs just to make the leds look better

#1795 3 years ago
Quoted from JimWilks:

This project, particularly on the playfield will require a lot of soldering.

yes, indeed. i have seen the underside of a taf. gonna build my own gold version, but irts for personal reasons

#1807 3 years ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

how do this look?[quoted image]

looking good, just do it well for wiring

#1818 3 years ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

and except for the missing boards/components, should have most everything needed to do that now. just a matter of finalizing the install.

what boards do you still need? for sound, the pinsound will be used. driving a dmd? use a suitable replacement. you also need a fliptronics board.

#1824 3 years ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

the top right has three rom chips, and the top one is there. the bottom two are missing :/.

https://mattsbasementarcade.com/product/the-addams-family-pinball-gold-rom-upgrade-set-u6-u15-u18-ballywilliams/ is what you will need for your machine

#1826 3 years ago

gold is mostly fun, but if you want original set good luck finding sound roms

#1827 3 years ago

Side note: i know gold is fun because i have watched a game get played on youtube. original sound roms are basically missing. if you want original, you need a pinsound as i know it

#1831 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

All of what you have said is basically incorrect for this game. He is not building a special collectors gold version.
ROMs are easy to get and available everywhere.

note im clueless. just saying. you can also turn off buy ins.

#1833 3 years ago
Quoted from Murphdom:

You must be killing yourself in shipping charges. Ordering a couple things at a time. It’s gotta be adding up by now.

agreed. just get all you need from a supplier at the same time.

#1872 3 years ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

of course! Just not to do steady work at odd angles. when you spend most of your days leaning over in front of a computer screen doing typing or 3D work, your dexterity gets kind of lost for hand to hand type construction.
I don't trust myself not to muscle spasm/cramp at odd angles and wreck something. the curse of not moving around much all day...video game skills not affected of course . although maybe a tad slower reaction than 20 years ago!

if your worried about proper feed solder, then get a solder feeder. i want one because i think its a nice to have

#1874 3 years ago

is the text on U4 upside down? if so then yes its correct.

#1898 3 years ago

you are looking good for backbox. from what i know, i think the metal plate is screwed in with the same style screwss as under the playfeild.

#1902 3 years ago

No! regular playfield screws will punch thru and ruin the finish outside.
You have to use the gold 3/8" playfield screws like for the light sockets.

ok, i didnt know, was just trying to help.

#1904 3 years ago

We learn as we go...

indeed. Pinball Decals is downsizing their range of products so yeah. i snagged a brass shooter rod assembly.

#1906 3 years ago

cable tv dvr box, grabbing that hard drive?

#1910 3 years ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

final cpu puzzle piece
[quoted image]

does the dmdlux have built in high power for good ol orange dmds/plasma fed dmds?

#1914 3 years ago

is it possible to get a controller that is built for colordmd support out of the box? im not gonna install a plasma dmd

#1916 3 years ago

Yes, this board does it.
Read the specs here:
https://www.pinsound.org/dmdlux/

so it has the connection to power the colourdmd? if so then i can just make my own cable to run to the dmd

#1976 3 years ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

Can I use the yellow wire and some of the lights I have for to make the topper lights?
or are those totally different?

topper lights are completely different, and fully flashers. you will need to look up the voltage.

1 week later
#1986 3 years ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

and I had to take it apart to do it
Question. do they make translite's in plastic? I don't want to break another one even if the glass one looked pretty
and hopefully after this week I can start focusing on the bottom of t he cabinet. with the interconnect board in place, what else am I missing?

i have seen some acyrlic options, but i dont klnow how you would find them.

#1989 3 years ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

the problem is, I don't want to break a new one. I still have the glass that came with the machine for the translite. so that is no problem. just no image for it.

buy a new image for it then/new translite sheet.

#2024 3 years ago

Much better!
The bolts you used for the latch look long. They should only protrude past the nut by a thread or 2.
Dremel them off with a cut-of wheel or use shorter screws.

makes sense. i think i saw some of my family's games with too liong screws, but i may be seeing things

#2026 3 years ago

Long bolts, hanging out, catch on things and can be very annoying. I like a clean look and build.

when your trying to service the cpu board, from experience with other family members the panel gets in the way. considering doing maybe a flush/wood embedded nut when i build. its fun reading this build to prepare for mine.

#2029 3 years ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

So, how does that look? I see how the top one works.. but not sure about the bottom one [quoted image][quoted image]

looks good. bottom one is kindof just a plate to just be there

1 week later
#2097 2 years ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

first thing I noticed when I put it back in . I guess I'll have to find flat head 3/8 screws.

those flat head should also be able to dig into wood to not stick up against the problem mentioned

1 week later
#2149 2 years ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

Wire Order 2 safe and sound . Mystery order coming up ).[quoted image]

i have an idea what it is buit i dont want to spoil it lol

#2159 2 years ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

My solution for this little sucker. it bugged the heck out of me that it looks like there should be a place for it [quoted image]

its meant to be there, just turned 90 degrees as i know there but vertical

and i never knew this machine series was in super hifh demand until i looked at my marketwatch email. (it was a special collectors edition gold, was sold when i saw the marketwatch email0

i also know this isnt a gold build but it means addams family is under higher demand. could probably talk to jima about it and work with them to build some machines up from the ground.

#2162 2 years ago

yeah. its an easy fix, this may be being hawked at by potential butyers but i know its your keeper. super easy fix, flat black with bondo inside the hole or something

#2167 2 years ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

long shot. anyone know the name of the wire with the red connection?
I need one about 3 times as long for the controller boards new location . unless I can find a way to hook a volume nob up to it .
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81GKfP8eZ5L._AC_SL1500_.jpg

what is this for? we are pinball pepole, and this is kindof an off topic thing

#2181 2 years ago

Did you get the special brackets for the speaker panel.
To keep it from falling forward ?

what he said is important ^

#2186 2 years ago

Thinking about the next steps, did you get a playfield apron yet?
They can be elusive.

i was considering just doing one custom, could work quite well, and makes it less elusive. maybe could do a nice backlit one.
but yeah, will be rare.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 29.99
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 35.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 35.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 26.99
Playfield - Other
Lee's Parts

$ 180.00
$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinball_hawk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/addams-family-scratch-build?tu=pinball_hawk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.