20240419_123624 (resized).jpg
20240419_123607 (resized).jpg
20240419_123503 (resized).jpg
20240419_123438 (resized).jpg
20240418_151220 (resized).jpg
20240418_151930 (resized).jpg
20240418_142010 (resized).jpg
438922685_10161016172280211_6004500180515248965_n (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ThatOneDude.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#52 4 years ago

If you are on Facebook, there is a closed group for WPC remake builds. Lots of the guys have made drawings and such of the unobtainable parts. wallybgood might be able to help you.

#83 4 years ago

Fyi I am building a scared stiff from a playfield. I'm using homebrew controllers based on OPP and pinmame for the ROMs. Over a year and a half or so, I've picked up every assembly that was individualized. The rest is generic or can be manufactured. It's not impossible.

#88 4 years ago
Quoted from wxforecaster:

In the middle of a TAF playfield swap. I wouldn't wish building this wiring harness on my worst enemy.

I think building it from scratch would be better than fixing an existing one.

#177 4 years ago

Just an idea. I opted to forgo the original WPC circuitry on mine. I used a modified Open Pinball Project(OPP) system to control the playfield and then used a Raspberry Pi 3(about to switch to the much more powerful Pi 4) with Pinmame to emulate the ROMs. I'm doing all of the coding myself, so it's going slow but steady. I've got the machine driving the DMD and the switches and solenoids are driven via I2C serial I/O chips from a Teensy 3.5. It's a similar setup to my homebrew game, with the Pinmame swapped for Mission Pinball Framework.
So, if you weren't keen on figuring out the wiring harness, there are options. My Scared Stiff wiring will look very different from a stock machine.

#179 4 years ago
Quoted from orangegsx:

I dunno maybe I’m crazy but the wiring harness doesn’t seem like that crazy of a thing to make.

I would agree. Pick a subsystem, wire one piece, make a note of it, on to the next.
I was simply offering a second route if the OP wanted it.

#201 4 years ago

4k? Doesn't that vpin place sell a flat pack for $99? The rest of the odds and ends can't be more than $200, and I'm stretching to say it would cost that much. I picked up a used sys 11 head with parts that could sub into a wpc for $20.
This has to be sarcasm

#202 4 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

Loose wires become a mess quickly - not as easy as it sounds. Possible - sure. Def less $$ if not replicating color coded wires per original but extra work and diligence. Fun? Probably not too much.

Bundle them as you go. Zip tie the finished wiring, use stand offs with wire holders. Include wiring tags before the connectors. Write out your tags before wiring so you aren't trying to remember the tag->component mapping in the middle of the work.
I tend to be pathologically disorganized, so I recognize the problem and build work habits around it.

#213 4 years ago
Quoted from Passave:

Btw, I am a girl

My apologies for an unwarranted assumption.
That's an impressive backbox. You should create a thread for your work.

1 week later
#251 4 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

This thread is sad. This poor guy won't listen to reason, and is going to dump a ton of money into this only to end up with a pile of parts that he will never get his money back on.

You know that there are groups of people doing this on a regular basis, right?

#269 4 years ago

I've got 4 active projects. I swap between them as my interest changes and parts arrive. I'm shopping a Baywatch, almost done rebuilding a basketcase Blackout, working on my own version of Stranger Things and a playfield up build of a Scared Stiff(with custom controller boards running with a pinmame emulation). The OP's project seems tame compared to the sisyphean task I've set myself.
So, yes, if you just want a running pinball machine, buy one. If you just want to experience a rebuild, buy a busted one. But if your groove is big, crazy projects where you create something... well, I get it and I'm rooting for you.

#279 4 years ago
Quoted from ryan1234:

If I have the manual for a pinball machine that shows connection points, I rarely look at wire color...
I also rarely trust wire color- I do 100% trust testing conductivity.

Amen. I've used wire color to track down things before, but it was once out of many, many times(rewiring a drop target from scratch). Always double check the connection.

#318 4 years ago

I assume that you are having them build a TAF cabinet with the backbox and decals, right? If not, you should. They can handle drilling all of the correct holes and assembling everything correctly.

#344 4 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

Why aren't you starting with the hard parts as suggested? You may not even be able to find them. Then what will you do?

How does that change things? He can always resell the parts, but if they go out of stock before he finds *hard part X*, he's stuck anyway. I started with a sweet Scared Stiff playfield and ended up with every mech(well, I have to make a coffin diverter, but aside from that...).

1 month later
#467 4 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

Illegal copy for your own use

Not at all. He's using licensed items, used items and self manufactured items to build a machine. He's not a manufacturer, and he's not marketing it as an original or remade version of anything.
It's akin to the various motorcycles that are Harley clones. You can build a motorcycle that is functionally identical to a Fatbob, and Harley would have zero to say. You could sell it, too, even hundreds of them in this case, as long as you aren't marketing them as Harley brand. That's the reason all of those Harley clone garages can be in business, and companies like S&S can make clone Evo parts.
In this case, the closest you could get would be a copyright claim on the ROM image. And if he uses an original WPC mpu or a licensed replacement, then he even avoids that. Even trademark claims would not likely stick if he were not party to the manufacture of items for sale. And I doubt that there are any patents on the particular pieces in AF.

#496 4 years ago

I built one out of a couple of sawhorses that I picked up for free. Took about $20 and an hour on top of that.

1 week later
#593 4 years ago

Have you seen the links I PM'd you? There are some caches of TAF parts on craigslist.

#659 4 years ago

Has anyone ordered from this site? https://4rcustomswire.com/t/18-gauge-gxl

#676 4 years ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

Yes. They only have bare copper wire, nothing tinned. They do have a TON of color options though!

What about this stuff?
https://www.sherco-auto.com/striped-tracer-wire.html

Type III Class K tinned copper
Marine grade stuff

#680 4 years ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

Yup that’s good wire ... just I don’t see anything smaller than 18AWG... maybe I missed something

They have a limited selection of 22 as well on that page.

3 weeks later
#766 4 years ago

It's inevitable, but also entirely able to be overcome. People are coming together to source these parts, having them made when there is no other option. It's not easy, per se, but it's also not impossible. Thanks to the hard work of people like wallybgood these scratch builds are becoming easier to implement.

#797 4 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

To do it right though seems like you’d be sitting down with the manual and cutting and soldering wires very methodically and carefully. Not sure how you’d get all the lengths.. overestimating and clipping excess later maybe? (If you do this shredder, keep in mind you need enough cable back to the boards to pull the pf out of the cab and to lift it vertical.

I would imagine that you start by getting a measurement from the connector to the first item in a circuit(a row and column) and get that working. Then, run the next row and column. That's 3 new items. Test, and move to the next layer. That's 5 new items. Continue until you are at 8x8. If you test each new layer of components as you go, you will minimize the number of tests while isolating the problems to a single new row/column combination. If you use your own colors, create your own matrix and keep it with the machine. Maybe laminate a note and put it in the machine to help any techs who might be working on it in the future.

As a side note, since my from scratch build is heavily customized at the controller level, I have to do this anyway.

#801 4 years ago
Quoted from wallybgood:

Hey, thanks, dude.

My pleasure. If not for your work on ball guides, I would be stuck until I get to get under the glass of another Scared Stiff to do a lot of measurement. Your contributions are invaluable.

#816 4 years ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

hopefully not bending..

You will indeed need to bend them. You'll want to set up a small brake and a slip roller if you have the money/space. Some of it can be done with a vise. A lot of the larger bends can be done by hand, if you are careful(roll it back and forth against a thick dowel rod, for example). It's better to approach the bend slowly rather than try to nail it on the first round.
Something to review: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/making-new-ball-guides-from-scratch-vids-guide

#835 4 years ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

before I place the order, which one of these is the right flipper rebuild kit?

Buy the whole assembly from pinball life, and get the right coil stop(there is a table on that page):
https://www.pinballlife.com/full-flipper-assembly-for-williamsbally-machines-from-021992-to-101998.html

#839 4 years ago

Yeah, as others have said, look at the manual to verify the coil. Eos should be there default one, iirc.

2 weeks later
#921 3 years ago
Quoted from Kawydud:

Link doesn't work, must be a group you have to join.

Send a message to wallybgood and he'll help you.

#942 3 years ago

Yes, you definitely need spacers for the boards.

#959 3 years ago

Use Mouser/Digikey/Jameco for common electronic devices(diodes, resistors, etc). Use the manual to find the specs, then order accordingly. In some cases, the replacement part is not completely clear or has been replaced with something better(MOSFETs and diodes come to mind). Ask around for those. Otherwise, it should be fairly straight forward.

#973 3 years ago

Nice work!

2 months later
#1274 3 years ago

That needs to go in the pinball horror pictures thread. Damn sorry to see it. At least it is widely available.

2 months later
#1408 3 years ago

If you want color but want to skip the colordmd, you're other option is this: http://vpuniverse.com/forums/files/file/5534-the-addams-family/

You'll have to buy or build a pin2dmd board and set it up.

1 week later
#1467 3 years ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

maybe one day,but not yet...sigh. short and beardless don't attract 'em

Never held me back. Granted, now I've got a sweet beard and I've been married for 25 years...so.....

#1471 3 years ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

always had a feeling I'd have better luck abroad than in the US. feel like women are a bit less picky abroad. If you look at US facebook husband photos, most are about a foot taller than the girl and bearded. ladies def have a type ;o).

I'm shorter than my wife. I'm sure that dating in the time of the plague isn't easy. Good luck, sir. We're rooting for you!

1 week later
#1494 3 years ago

sendcutsend is awesome. I had them cut a set of Scared Stiff guides.

3 weeks later
#1604 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Does anyone have a TAF playfield back panel or a template

I believe there are some floating around the WPC builders facebook group.

#1608 3 years ago

It was posted in the thread earlier:

It's invite only, so ping wallybgood

2 months later
#1698 3 years ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

Looks very sloppy. this may be a two person job. one to hold the wire in place and the other to staple it.

Use a small tack in the middle of the braid to hold it for stapling.Remove once it's stapled.

#1702 3 years ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

I've had a few staples go through the wire. doesn't that damage it's ability?

Only if it is actually severing the ground braid somehow. Otherwise, it's fine. Maybe a little ugly, but some of the wiring from the factory was ugly on occasion.

3 months later
#2255 2 years ago

Well, that's the factory setting sound, so you are getting a boot. Congrats!

You can start debugging the DMD here: https://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Display_problems

#2258 2 years ago
Quoted from Boat:

but for one thing it looks like it’s Mounted upside down

If it's upside down, then maybe the power and/or data cable are upside down.

#2260 2 years ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

I hope I didn't damage it when I accidentally knocked off 3 LED squares with a knife while trying to remove the glue.

Maybe I missed this happening. What do you mean by this? Like, you knocked out part of the display itself?

#2262 2 years ago

Ah. No, you will have dead pixels, but it shouldn't stop it from displaying. Try turning the cable from the AV board the other direction. It looks backwards to me.

https://www.colordmd.com/installation/ColorDMD%20LED%20Installation%20Instructions%20WPC%20WPC95%20Rev1.PDF

#2263 2 years ago

Also, you should be able to buy a new panel to fix that. Colordmd might have it. Otherwise, you'll have to hit up aliexpress.

#2268 2 years ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

just to be clear, which cable? all the ribbon cables can only be put in one way thanks to the tab they come with.

The long cable feeding back to the AV board. Check both ends. Check the voltage.

#2286 2 years ago

Congratulations!

#2289 2 years ago

Dude, relish the moment. Look at everyone who said it was crazy(yeah, it was, but it's a GOOD crazy). But you made it work. You aren't done yet, but you are SO close!

5 months later
#2509 2 years ago

Building any machine is a labor of love. When I run into trouble(I wired that diode backwards? Oh, shit...) and get grumpy, I click through threads like this to get my motivation flowing again.

9 months later
#3058 1 year ago

I would love a KITT. My name is Michael, so I would totally have it greet me every morning.

1 month later
#3254 1 year ago

I have a Johnny Mnemonic apron sitting around somewhere. Not sure if that's a fit or not.

1 week later
#3340 1 year ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

feel like the problem is with the cpu board. unplugged all the cables, and nothing started. still the same top d19 light on solid. plugged all the cables properly back in, replaced some fuses that looked like they could need it. nothing. same problem. makes a 'clicking' noise like it's trying to boot up, DMD has all gobbldy gook on it, and D19 still stays on. but middle light flashes as if it booted ok. LED 3 on the Power Driver board blinks faintly and doesn't stay on like I Think it's supposed to..
sigh. was in a happy mood.

Try replacing U11.

#3358 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

if you just dont want it, let me know.

This man beat me to it
Yeah, fix that thing. It will be good practice.

#3360 1 year ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

how would one go about trouble shooting it?

Start here: https://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Williams_WPC

You could easily fix it and either have a spare or sell it. At the very least, you gain some more skills and comfort in working on a machine at the board level. It's not rocket science, it's mostly just slow and steady deduction.

It might be a 30 minute soldering job. You could send it for repair, but you have already replaced it, so my strong recommendation is to use it to learn.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 35.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 26.99
Playfield - Other
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.99
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ThatOneDude.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/addams-family-scratch-build?tu=ThatOneDude and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.