20240418_151930 (resized).jpg
20240418_142010 (resized).jpg
438922685_10161016172280211_6004500180515248965_n (resized).jpg
438935641_10161016172310211_884505193556236161_n (resized).jpg
439014279_10161016172265211_7954450884413445341_n (resized).jpg
20240418_131921 (1) (resized).jpg
20240418_131941 (resized).jpg
20240418_131950 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CLEllison.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#31 4 years ago

The first HUGE barrier you have without a donor - no wiring harness and good luck locating one which makes your project DOA
Secondly there are a few parts that appear to be out of stock every where - so you'd be up the creek there too
Trying to find a fairly clapped out TAF isn't tough, but finding one that isn't over priced for what it is .... is.
Generally all after market play fields suck to a certain degree. No dimples, mis-dimpled, off set holes drilled or no holes drilled. clear coat mediocre if not suckville.
Donor machine will likely need every single moving piece, coil sleeves, coil stops etc replaced/rebuilt.
You can have a factory spec'd cab made - have it painted black then you can add a set of Rad Cals

ROUGH estimate:
Based off a $5K TAF, ordering a new cabinet, new playfield clear coated, all parts rebuilt you're looking ~$10k if you do the playfield swap yourself. Add a couple grand if you pay someone else.

Pro's - everything is brand new and "should" hold it's restored value for several years to come (Unless CGC does a remake)
Cons - now you're in the TAFG price range or you could spend about $2K less to buy a super nice one that's ready to play.

1 week later
#150 4 years ago
Quoted from Electronmagic:

Besides decals, what other choice would he have?

Value won't be affected one iota by using decals. His other choice would be Rad Cals which I think are way cooler than using decals and equivalently priced.

1 week later
#245 4 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

What playfield are you ordering? A Mirco? Or a CPR Silver/Bronze? I've thought about selling my CPR Gold, but I'd probably regret it someday.

Both have their own set of issues. I have a friend who does restoration swaps for a living and he actually tells people he charges extra for CPR swaps. a friendly suggestion, if you plan on keeping it then send it to HEP to get properly drilled and nutted. And personally if I was going to do that step I'd have him clear coat it as well but only if I WAS SURE it would eventually be used because you'll likely never get your investment back out of it as a barren playfield.

7 months later
#1342 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Speakers:
https://flipperfidelity.com/williams-bally-complete-replacement-speaker-system-for-wpc89-machines/
Pinball pro speakers are cheaper and sound good, but i prefer flipper fidelity on high end builds.

There's literally no point of this speaker system in Addams. I actually bought my TAF from the owner of one of the speaker suppliers here and he told me not to waste the money. He could've made made money but chose to be honest.

2 months later
#1436 3 years ago

The only complaint I have is the unlit LED's are quite visible and it's super annoying to me. Waiting for Comet to come out with a tint shield designed specifically for this display. Using a normal tint shield sucks because it causes a double image "mirror" unless you bend down looking squarely at the display. Makes you feel like you're drunk when you look at it.

2 years later
#3874 7 months ago

Nothing gives you a new set of eyes like a 6 pack will!
Just kidding, I've done that .... wow ... never again.

1 week later
#3903 6 months ago

I get exhausted watching this process, I can't imagine what you've been going through. Pretty sure I was a bit of a nay sayer when you started this and I happily stand corrected

On a side note .... if you have a list of every part you've ordered for the topside and bottom side it would be cool if you posted it here. And if it isn't too personal, what's your total cost? I've been toying with the idea of building one and selling my current one. I'm speculating a person can buy a cabinet and the rest and assemble for ~$8K, (includes professional clear coat) and turn around and sell my current one for $10K.

#3907 6 months ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

well, this is going to be fun

Well, don't feel bad. I made the mistake of leaving things box laying in the bottom loose and my electric screw driver standing straight up.... aaaaand lowered the playfield. Yeah, I bent shit up and had switch issues. If it was fine before then it should be easy enough for you to find what is likely a bent diode grounding out or a broken solder joint. And thank you for the itemized list. I'm shocked I was about a grand off!

#3923 6 months ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

I'm REALLY REALLY hoping I don't have to replace another board.

It's about figuring out what is bad on the board. See if either of these help you nail down what.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/addams-family-down-for-the-count
https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Check_fuses_F114_and_F115_message

1 week later
#3970 6 months ago

At some point everyone has reached the "just want this over with" phase. You're so close, but slow down and adopt the mentality that if it doesn't look factory it's not good enough. This has been a ton of work which also increases the possibility of mistakes. If it were me, when I got the boards back and everything plugged in, BEFORE I threw power to it I'd break out the ole DMM and check for any potential continuity between the positive side lug and ground on every single underside component. New doesn't always mean good.

And a side note, since this is a scratch build - both "THING" lights require diodes on em. Those things can get raging hot so ensure you use whatever the hard plastic isolation tubing is called.

#3986 6 months ago

It'd been a long time so I cracked mine open. Indeed there is one cable not used. It looks like yours is correct as is.
Not sure why homepin added the header and RD did not.

20231013_085717 (resized).jpg20231013_085717 (resized).jpg
#4056 6 months ago

Hmmm, the switch/diode suggestion is odd (for me). I just replaced my start button assembly with one from pinballlife - neither of which had a diode on the cherry switch. Needless to say I don't get errors and yet it works just fine?

#4065 6 months ago
Quoted from Walamab:

Just making sure you saw that you need to remove the diode from the start button switch. There is a diode on the coin door interface board that serves that function.

And THAT is why I brought it up!

If this is truly the case, then just put the white wire on the common?

Yep!

1 week later
#4170 5 months ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

when I press the start button, a solenoid in the jet area will fire, but it only does it once :/.
what's left?

Go into switch edge test menu mode. Verify what is or is not registering. Press the start button multiple times and see if anything else registers with it. While you're in the menu bang on the playfield and see if anything else engages.

2 weeks later
#4364 5 months ago
Quoted from Davi:

Your patience is one of the greatest virtue of this thread.
You are amazing.

It takes a big set of brassy danglies to take on something this big not really knowing what they're doing.
I think everyone wants to see this poor sap win a round for once. I know I'm rootin for him!

2 weeks later
#4479 4 months ago

Not superior, as its all about game play. But even that is subjective.

Superior category does for sure exist. Even the playfield manufacturers have admitted the clear job they do is inferior to what Kruzman and others can do. It takes time that they simply cannot afford to invest on the product. If I ever get the bug to do a full resto on my TAF, bet your ass it'll have Kruzman glass!
Hah - very Dr Suess of me (Good business slogan for Ron - "bet your ass it's Kruzman glass"

I highly advise anyone that hasn't played on a professionally clear coated table - DON'T! It simply makes everything else feel subpar. It's crazy how the tonal change of a ball drop goes from a normal "thunk" to a muted "thud".

Anyway OP you keep going man! Super excited for you!

2 weeks later
#4644 4 months ago

I'm here for the moral support. Keep going man, that sweet ass finish line is in sight!

2 months later
#5295 36 days ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

wish there WAS a she around to say that

If there was a she around, there probably wouldn't be a machine in front of you.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 320.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 28.99
Playfield - Protection
Lee's Parts

$ 19.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 27.99
Rubber/Silicone
Comet Pinball

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 29.99
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 35.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 1,059.00
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CLEllison.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/addams-family-scratch-build?tu=CLEllison and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.