20240406_101524 (resized).jpg
20240406_101512 (resized).jpg
20240406_101457 (resized).jpg
IMG_1033 - Copy (resized).jpeg
swiss cheese (resized).jpg
434977739_10160996941205211_7635654324432512187_n (resized).jpg
434968772_10160996941220211_6866425814742476146_n (resized).jpg
edited (resized).jpg
There are 5,442 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 109.
#1 4 years ago

Howdy...

first post here...

Not new to the fan Build stuff.

I've built an all Metal RC 1 r2D2 from parts found online. I've built a C3P0 1. and just finished a 1 KITT Dash electronics install (still missing a few parts).

But, I'm looking for a new project for 2020. and after seeing a few playfield builds online, I feel like Building a mostly new Addams Family from scratch is something I can do.

So, barring this thing getting a re release (arcade 1up or someone else) in 2020 or beyond.... here is what I plan to get sometime next year.

a Cabinet... this is the first one I've found that seems new. https://virtuapin.net/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=136

Artwork and 'cloud' top... -https://www.pinball.co.uk/game-specific-parts/addams-family-gold/cabinet-artwork-set-addams-family/

a Playfield.. - https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/36-20017 and DMD setup....as well as DMD Border...

And a Back Glass https://classicplayfields.com/shop/pinball-backglasses/taf-backglass/

I would at least like to get a machine LOOKING like the machine...so as to inspire me to keep going. and get most of the expensive parts first and out of the way.

From what I've seen on youtube, assembling the playfield mostly requires alot of drilling and screwing. Easy enough so long as I know exactly where everything has to go and what size drill bits to use. hopefully covered in the instruction manual.

I think the ONLY thing I will have an annoying time with, even if I find one in tact, is the wiring harness. even an intact harness looks like a complicated mess...and I'll be shocked if I ever get the thing properly wired up. But, at least if I can get everything else assembled, and looking like a real pinball machine, I figure the wiring harness will be the least problematic thing to worry about in the end. a nd the last thing I do.

This will be a fun project for all of 2020 I think. And a miracle if I ever get the whole thing done.
My last arcade project was a custom machine that was meant to be portable. so I could drag it in front of any tv I had around....and had an old jrock video converter attached to it for VGA connection hookup. with the advent of Arcade 1up, i no longer need that anymore. but I doubt Arcade 1up will ever do pinball recreations... sothis seems like a logical next project .

What I could REALLY use to help start things off, is a part list. every part I need to buy in a handy dandy check off item list. I know I'll need ramps, bumpers, flippers, kickouts, thing, thing box, electric chair, etc.....the OCD in me likes to have things itemized so I don't miss anything

thanks for any help

#2 4 years ago

Get a manual for a start. Parts and numbers in there.

LTG : )

#3 4 years ago

Make one extra of everything . I want to do this too.

#5 4 years ago

first part orders -

Manual.
ball shooter
Start Button.

Let the madness begin Hoping by this time next year it will be close to looking like a game

#6 4 years ago

A video arcade game is pretty simple compared to a pinball machine.

FYI, it will probably cost somewhere around $12k-$18k+. You will probably have to manufacture a number of parts that are not available.

There have been a couple of examples of scratch builds with AFM and MM games you could use for guidance, or at least to gauge what you might expect to face.

Honestly, I wouldn't recommend it. Instead, you can get a nice TAF for around $6k-$7k, or a project for around $5k.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/building-an-addams-family-from-scratchcrazy
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cost-of-building-90-s-pins-vs-buying

#7 4 years ago

The Playfield Harness is what would turn me off about building ad TAF

I’ve owned 4 and a 5th will come ... in time

But I would never attempt a build as parts as mentioned by ForceFlow

The bookcase and things assembly for starters are key and about 500/750$ per assembly if you can find one

I will follow you if you log this build in a thread and applaud you for the effort

Happy Holidays

#8 4 years ago

Buy a project machine. Decide what big components you are going to replace (cab/playfield/etc...) and work it over time.

I don’t have a ton of disposable income ... so I’ve been slowly getting what I need for my Indy (since 2011)... and I’m finally putting it together.

You learn so much by just tearing it down it’s hard to explain. I thought I had it all covered but as I started to really dig in there was what felt like 2x more things I needed. Definitely death by a thousand cuts type of experience.

My next one will be an Addams. Can’t wait.

#9 4 years ago

I guess I always could buy a project machine. I still havn't 100% commited yet...but I'm about 85% close to it. I'd like to see how much I can get done new..and then worry about how much I have to source.

but yeah, the wiring harness, either new, home made, or sourced, looks like a total pain to assemble either way. and will probably be my least favorite part. but at least if I attempt it from scratch, if the proper cables, already terminated, exist....it might make it a little less painful.

#10 4 years ago

Im in the process of this as well but i have a head start as i have mostly populated playfield to start.
I built a few cabs years back that i have sold but i have my test cab that i first built and will be using that, its good but was just made with some unfinished plywood in certain places.
I will be building my own wire harnessses(all except playfield), light boards, speaker panels so if you plan on doing this and need something let me know.
I do plan on building a few more cabs in near future but probably just cheaper for you to go through virtual pins.

#11 4 years ago

look for a water damaged part out or something, get a harness that way. also a guy always posts part out stuff from europe on here someplace ive seen and you can pm him and ask for stuff. few years back i had empty t zone, addams and white water cabs. i think i still have some of the small boards that were located near the coin door and i have a couple transformers and other stuff. would have to see if the transformer # is a match.
i might have some other cab parts too.

#12 4 years ago

I can only wish I had the skills to pull something like that off

#13 4 years ago

[img]https://scontent.fewr1-2.fna.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/10629574_10152751287760211_5263150426889998713_n.jpg?_nc_cat=111&_nc_ohc=q9lXKCMDfl0AQlA1ExUBK6hYFMlBfKIBeWpY1NrqpvTKxLOfJYvRKMfWg&_nc_ht=scontent.fewr1-2.fna&oh=a20b36c25467dddfa5644a718e366bb4&oe=5EB346C3[/img]

An older picture of My home built R2 (With parts from astromech). the Crow was bought pre built online, I didn't do that one . R2 cost a bout $8,000 and is all metal. So if I can do TAF for that or less...I'd consider it a steal

#14 4 years ago

Well, I commited.

I ordered the cabinet above.

I think what I will try and do is get the cabinet looking right first.. and THEN concentrate on the playfield, which seems to require the most work. I plan to order a B/W DMD, the speaker artwork, the back glass, and the overlays next. at the very least I can start with a complete looking outer cabinet. the playfield will be ordered next year.

Is there no reason why I shouldn't go with an $800 version over a $1200 version? TaF, along with ST TNG are my all time favorite pins. so if by some miracle I can get this thing working and playable, no matter the cost, it will be well worth it.

#15 4 years ago

if you need a transformer 5610-12835 , i have a brand new one.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

FYI, it will probably cost somewhere around $12k-$18k+. You will probably have to manufacture a number of parts that are not available.

Add another 5000$ for the donor machine.

#17 4 years ago

I take it there is no way I can transfer my Wizards of WOR one to TAF? the old arcade cab is coming apart and it still works heh.

If not, I may just take up that offer .

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

I take it there is no way I can transfer my Wizards of WOR one to TAF?

No. Each boardset generation typically has its own transformer with the necessary voltages and designed for the proper current draw.

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from bssbllr:

Add another 5000$ for the donor machine.

Actually, a donor machine would reduce the price. That was my scratch build estimate (ie, starting with nothing).

However, WPC projects are hard to find these days on the cheap since everyone wants them.

#20 4 years ago

I'm rooting for you on this!

I'm also hoping CGC sees this tread and notices that people are willing to spend $12k for a new TAF, plus all the labor. A brand new LE at $8k would be a steal

#21 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Actually, a donor machine would reduce the price. That was my scratch build estimate (ie, starting with nothing).

Yeah I was thinking a donor machine for all the parts he can’t and won’t be able to find.

#22 4 years ago

I was actually hoping for an anniversary TAF to be run, even if it was an annoying limited quality. But, barring that, this seems like my best option.

#23 4 years ago

Some got big balls but yours are Huge. I am following and wishing much success.

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from bssbllr:

Some got big balls but yours are Huge. I am following and wishing much success.

I am also very bored . I NEED projects to keep me entertained, and this seems much easier than working my KITT dash into a fully functional car. The goal is to have a mostly complete cabinet done by April. and a as new as I can get it playfield done by this time next december. I know that will obviously take longer.

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

No. Each boardset generation typically has its own transformer with the necessary voltages and designed for the proper current draw.

I was betting on that being the case, but it never hurts to ask .

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

I am also very bored . I NEED projects to keep me entertained, and this seems much easier than working my KITT dash into a fully functional car. The goal is to have a mostly complete cabinet done by April. and a as new as I can get it playfield done by this time next december. I know that will obviously take longer.

I here you on the boredom but then money plays a role in the projects I can do lol. It sounds like you can accomplish this goal I have faith. It sounds fun actually I love projects.

#27 4 years ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

I am also very bored . I NEED projects to keep me entertained

I have a few project games that need repairs if you're bored

Honestly, in this day in age, I find it very hard to believe someone could possibly be bored.

#28 4 years ago

It's the hundreds of tiny little custom parts that will string you and the looms/lamp boards. Although there was a thread on here where a dude actually made his own lamp boards / loom which was impressive.

Might be easier to find a doner cab for all those unique parts you can't find on the shelf. I can assure you there are hundreds! of them in that game.

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I find it very hard to believe someone could possibly be bored.

My boredom started when I could no longer perform my job after a terminal illness diagnose and I became on a fixed income. So no funds. I am doing little projects around the house that don’t require a lot of money or man power. It helps but soon they will run out then what ? More boredom. Lol

#30 4 years ago
Quoted from bssbllr:

My boredom started when I could no longer perform my job after a terminal illness diagnose and I became on a fixed income. So no funds. I am doing little projects around the house that don’t require a lot of money or man power. It helps but soon they will run out then what ? More boredom. Lol

MY boredom states from the fact that all my friends are married. and at this point it feels like I'll be forever single. So, once I go home, I have nothing to do, unless I play the same old Video games over and over again, or watch the same old movies. Hence, I like having projects around to keep my mind busy... and OCD/Anxiety at bay

#31 4 years ago

The first HUGE barrier you have without a donor - no wiring harness and good luck locating one which makes your project DOA
Secondly there are a few parts that appear to be out of stock every where - so you'd be up the creek there too
Trying to find a fairly clapped out TAF isn't tough, but finding one that isn't over priced for what it is .... is.
Generally all after market play fields suck to a certain degree. No dimples, mis-dimpled, off set holes drilled or no holes drilled. clear coat mediocre if not suckville.
Donor machine will likely need every single moving piece, coil sleeves, coil stops etc replaced/rebuilt.
You can have a factory spec'd cab made - have it painted black then you can add a set of Rad Cals

ROUGH estimate:
Based off a $5K TAF, ordering a new cabinet, new playfield clear coated, all parts rebuilt you're looking ~$10k if you do the playfield swap yourself. Add a couple grand if you pay someone else.

Pro's - everything is brand new and "should" hold it's restored value for several years to come (Unless CGC does a remake)
Cons - now you're in the TAFG price range or you could spend about $2K less to buy a super nice one that's ready to play.

#32 4 years ago

Personally, I was holding off for a remake. I would love to buy a brand new machine, either full size, or the smaller more modern pinball size. But, since it didn't seem like that was going to happen, I'd much rather go the 'new' route.

I also want to know how everything all goes together. from the bottom up. If something goes wrong, it'll make it easier to trouble shoot if it ever gets fully working.

I also don't plan on selling it when it's done/if it gets done. This machine was played EVERY summer until they got rid of it at Barnacle Bills in the Jersey Shore...so it has special meaning to me. so whatever it costs, I'm keeping it around.

and as stated before, when you live alone, and still live at home, only paying for what you use, you tend to have the funds to spend on passion projects (one upside for not having the joy of a family of your own, I guess). so, even if it takes me 3 years (like with R2), I'm willing to save up to get it done right.

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

I have a few project games that need repairs if you're bored
Honestly, in this day in age, I find it very hard to believe someone could possibly be bored.

Retire and you will get bored once your to do list is done. My list was done in 2 weeks.

#34 4 years ago

Hey 565
First step is to download the TAF Parts List and Manual from the IPDB.
Wally

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from wallybgood:

First step is to download the TAF Parts List and Manual from the IPDB.

Quoted from Shredder565:

first part orders -
Manual.
ball shooter
Start Button.

He’s got you covered.

Quoted from LTG:

Get a manual for a start. Parts and numbers in there.

LTG had him covered on that, post #2 and post #4

#36 4 years ago

Cabinet ordered
-Back Glass ordered
-Manual ordered
-Plunger ordered
- start button ordered

In January,
-Power Supply from user on here
-Play Field
-Coin Door
-Decals

Are there any good resources around to try and setup a complete cabinet, minus playfield? It feels like it should be straightforward enough...but some pictures and wording might help

#37 4 years ago

Look at HEP restoration threads and various other restoration threads. Those will have lots of photos.

#38 4 years ago

I found two.

It looks like I'll need 4 or 5 boards for the backboard. I'm assuming one houses the roms. one probably does sound, another lights. Lots of info to look up on there. Arcades only have one jamma board to deal with.

The Lamp Board looks easy enough to setup. once I find the parts. It looks like in the cabinet bottom, I'll need the transformer, the 'plug attachment' sitting near the plunger, cables for the start button, cables for the plug to the wall, cables to run up the back box (including a loom that I have on my Proton pack to cover them up)......all in all, the Cabinet itself seems straight forward enough.

Just have to be careful to do it right the first time and make sure I find all the proper install photos I can before I attempt it.

#39 4 years ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

It looks like I'll need 4 or 5 boards for the backboard. I'm assuming one houses the roms. one probably does sound, another lights. Lots of info to look up on there. Arcades only have one jamma board to deal with.

Probably the main board that has security chip and switch matrix , driver board , sound board , dmd board and Fliptronic 1 board.

In The cabinet you will have coin door board ,tilt mechanism ,speaker And flipper switches.

#40 4 years ago

Honestly, building a game from scratch really shouldn't be your first foray into pinball. You really should at least try repairing one first to gain some hands-on familiarity with the boards, parts, and the theory of operation. That could help prevent some costly mistakes/errors from happening if you wire things up incorrectly.

#41 4 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Honestly, building a game from scratch really shouldn't be your first foray into pinball. You really should at least try repairing one first to gain some hands-on familiarity with the boards, parts, and the theory of operation. That could help prevent some costly mistakes/errors from happening if you wire things up incorrectly.

Sometimes I learn best by just fordging in.

I taught myself how to do CGI/Animation work with no previous training.

R2 was a build with no previous training (and only one major mistake with painting the frame that caused some irrepairable damage).

While I agree with your statement, with this I plan to go SUPER SUPER slow and not rush into it. I plan to do all the easy looking stuff first like back glass and transformer install and plunger install and decals....and then try and research the rest of it.

I know it's not the best way to do it, but I ALWAYS amaze myself how good stuff looks when it's done. most noteably with R2. that moves via RMC, and I've never dealt with any RC stuff before that either.

#42 4 years ago

Great Plains electronics for connectors and pins. You’re going to do a lot. Buy quality a quality crimping tool and strippers. Practice before you dive in. If you’re going to do it, do a color DMD. It’s the same price as a regular DMD and controller PCB.

#44 4 years ago
Quoted from ryanbrooks:

Great Plains electronics for connectors and pins. You’re going to do a lot. Buy quality a quality crimping tool and strippers. Practice before you dive in. If you’re going to do it, do a color DMD. It’s the same price as a regular DMD and controller PCB.

When I was working on R2, I bought my first tool box and all high quality parts. including a crimper, stripper, solder iron, etc. so yeah, that one's taken care of already

I was looking into the Color DMD. While it looks nice, it doesn't look 'right' to me. all the machines I've ever seen had B and W DMD's and that's what I'm used too. Although it's not off the table yet.

#45 4 years ago
Quoted from Zitt:

Wiring harnesses can be done.
3rd Coast pinballdoes them by hand iirc. His thread: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-wire-and-harnesses#post-5053081

If you have a wiring diagram, it looks like something that you just need to go super slow at and take your time with. Even if it takes months and looks like a pain in the arse. I also work in an electricians office, so I have a warehouse of supplies at my disposal and wiring experts .

#46 4 years ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

When I was working on R2, I bought my first tool box and all high quality parts. including a crimper, stripper, solder iron, etc. so yeah, that one's taken care of already
I was looking into the Color DMD. While it looks nice, it doesn't look 'right' to me. all the machines I've ever seen had B and W DMD's and that's what I'm used too. Although it's not off the table yet.

You can set the color DMD to orange dots for the original look.

#47 4 years ago
Quoted from ryanbrooks:

You can set the color DMD to orange dots for the original look.

hmmm..maybe I will put it on the table then if you get the best of both.
to me, the classic play is the original 'B/W' but color is a nice option .

#48 4 years ago

Trust me; colordmd is the way to go. It may not look right to you; but every game I've ever seen looks more natural and authentic when a color dmd is doing color dots. Addams Family is no different.
OrangeDMD doesn't look right not this title at all. IMHO. too much art detail is lost.

#49 4 years ago

You are going to have a LOT of challenges with seemingly simple parts like ball guides. My TAF that I did a playfield swap was missing a very small ball guide. Completely unobtanium. Luckily Marco finally got some in stock. 90 days later. Have you priced a bookcase motor / assembly? This thing is going to be a money pit.

#50 4 years ago
Quoted from TheCnyPinGuy:

The bookcase and things assembly for starters are key and about 500/750$ per assembly if you can find one

Someone let him know. He’s forging ahead anyways. I admire his ambition.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 29.99
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
$ 140.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 27.99
Rubber/Silicone
Comet Pinball

$ 28.99
Playfield - Protection
Lee's Parts

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 1,159.00
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 1,059.00
26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 35.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 320.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

There are 5,442 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 109.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/addams-family-scratch-build?hl=rolpa and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.