432998129_10160980877730211_4586007768747512630_n (resized).jpg
433115797_10160979285280211_9147692147964404894_n (resized).jpg
Pic (resized).jpg
433013169_10160978973710211_7789564014506332086_n (resized).jpg
20240323_173327 (resized).jpg
Pinside_forum_8090030_3824987 (resized).jpg
433103342_10160972333530211_8202075379404947117_n (resized).jpg
434059052_10160970987190211_5554921945062633802_n (resized).jpg

There are 5,378 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 108.
#351 4 years ago

Build the underside of the playfield first.

Youre on the fence about which dmd you want when you should be worried about the mechs and a harness.

And to ryan1234 this isnt about armchair quarterbacking, I kept my mouth shut until he said he got an increased credit line to fund the playfield. Im not saying he doesnt have the ability to build it, I am suggesting he not go into further debt over it.

#352 4 years ago
Quoted from newtoit:

Build the underside of the playfield first.
Youre on the fence about which dmd you want when you should be worried about the mechs and a harness.
And to ryan1234 this isnt about armchair quarterbacking, I kept my mouth shut until he said he got an increased credit line to fund the playfield. Im not saying he doesnt have the ability to build it, I am suggesting he not go into further debt over it.

I agree, if he decides he wants to stop the project, it will be difficult to not take a loss on all the parts to sell them off. Not to mention that its difficult for almost anyone that finances entertainment to pay it off before the NEXT project comes about.

#353 4 years ago
Quoted from newtoit:

Im not saying he doesnt have the ability to build it, I am suggesting he not go into further debt over it.

Not going to go into debt over it. i always pay my bills on time and only buy when I get things taken care of. I know how to manage finances .

I was just happy to increase the credit line so I have a little more lee way for bigger parts.

should a complete playfield happen to pop up for under $3,000, I can afford it now to help with some parts.

#354 4 years ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

should a complete playfield happen to pop up

So much for the scratch build.

#355 4 years ago

Jennifer laughs....(giggle).

#356 4 years ago
Quoted from yellowghost:

I admire this guy for trying but I believe it won't end well.

I have to agree. All of the folks that have done "scratch builds" didn't do them as their first foray into pinball. I want you to succeed and accomplish this, but the video you posted to show your technical prowess with you cutting on a roller cart was certainly not convincing.

#357 4 years ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

just checked out to see how many of the playfields where left out of curiosity. not only are the golds gone, but the other two are all gone as well.

Are you only referring to CPR playfields? Mirco appears to have plenty of his TAF playfields in stock. I'd personally have opted for the glitter variant of Mirco's playfields. I've seen one of those in person and it looks super cool.

#358 4 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

I have to agree. All of the folks that have done "scratch builds" didn't do them as their first foray into pinball. I want you to succeed and accomplish this, but the video you posted to show your technical prowess with you cutting on a roller cart was certainly not convincing.

1- that wasn't me cutting

2- that wasn't meant to be a professional build. just a fun side project.

And even with that, the project still came out just as I hoped it would and got years of use out of it until arcade 1up came along...

#359 4 years ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

1- that wasn't me cutting
2- that wasn't meant to be a professional build. just a fun side project.
And even with that, the project still came out just as I hoped it would and got years of use out of it until arcade 1up came along...

Fair enough. Good luck!

#360 4 years ago

Shredder
If you feel like coming to Trumbull to get it, you can borrow my rotisserie. It’s one like vids

Bob

I could also meet you in White Plains during the day

#362 4 years ago
Quoted from BobLangelius:

Shredder
If you feel like coming to Trumbull to get it, you can borrow my rotisserie. It’s one like vids
Bob
I could also meet you in White Plains during the day

I appreciate the offer.

White plains isn't too bad aride. IF I decide to get one, it'll be the LAST peice purchased when assembly is set to begin. I don't see that happening for a while.

I just bought the LAST part for the month. Decals. That's it for January Buying.

A few weeks of saving...and around the 21st, the next round of stuff will get bought. The transformer from here, the Color DMD, some flippers, the plastics set, a ramp, some scoops, and some electronic boards. as well as the topper.

Looks like my cabinet might get here in a few weeks too . will be a thing of beauty. and my playfield gets here monday.

#363 4 years ago

Decals can be quite intimidating the first time, and not a lot of good usable information on the subject since it is a skill based experience thing... I would however highly recommend RapidTac on a painted/sealed cab.

#364 4 years ago
Quoted from Passave:

Decals can be quite intimidating the first time, and not a lot of good usable information on the subject since it is a skill based experience thing... I would however highly recommend RapidTac on a painted/sealed cab.

VP was kind enough to offer to put them on, so they are going shipped directly to the pro's .

#365 4 years ago

Shredder565
Don't worry about wire ramp. If you can't find it in the future, I can help about repro.
An example here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ij-williams-you-cheat-dr-jones-club/page/90#post-5060442

#366 4 years ago
Quoted from Davi:

shredder565
Don't worry about wire ramp. If you can't find it in the future, I can help about repro.
An example here:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/ij-williams-you-cheat-dr-jones-club/page/90#post-5060442

I was using this part down time to go through the manual to help familairize myself with part names and locations and to see just how much assembly some stuff needs to be required.

Just for ha has, I see a few people have had the wire ramps reproduced.

If the price is reasonable, I'd be interested in the future, heh.

#367 4 years ago

So, I can start playing now, right? where do I put the coin on this thing ;o)

One of two of the last January buy parts arriving today.

83097519_10157621903675211_8411879812141940736_n (resized).jpg83097519_10157621903675211_8411879812141940736_n (resized).jpg
#368 4 years ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

So, I can start playing now, right? where do I put the coin on this thing ;o)
One of two of the last January buy parts arriving today.[quoted image]

Yup pretty much, looks like your in the home stretch! pretty playfield! You’re keeping your eyes out for unobtainium parts In the mean time right?

#369 4 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

Yup pretty much, looks like your in the home stretch! pretty playfield! You’re keeping your eyes out for unobtainium parts In the mean time right?

trying too. although parts I think are rare turns out not to be so much. I just havn't found 'em yet.
would be nice to have a list of what folks think are rare to start with .

Look at what arrived yesterday. the last of the january buy parts. some scoops and knock three times

83045975_10157624757845211_3121286251651530752_n (resized).jpg83045975_10157624757845211_3121286251651530752_n (resized).jpg
#370 4 years ago

I would be hunting for lamp boards, pf loom, all the various metal work like ball guides and ramp brackets etc....

#371 4 years ago

By the time you get to the end of this project, You will have the pick of all the parts you need from donor machines that just got old, and parted out beings it it such a high production machine over on E/pay...literally everything, multiple times over(except the wire I am guessing)...But while you wait Marco alone has 51 pages of new parts available.

#372 4 years ago

Decals should arrive at virtua pin tomorrow. if tracking is right. thanks for that!

Can't wait to see how this thing looks . will be well worth the wait.

Middle of February, I will secure the transformer, and a new main ramp. End of February, the Color DMD. a complete set of Targets and Plastics. and the Thing cover DMD cover.

#373 4 years ago

Don’t forget the tnuts once those are in you can start adding a few posts here and there and start on the pops, oh and the pf rails have you sourced those yet?

#374 4 years ago
Quoted from russdx:

Don’t forget the tnuts once those are in you can start adding a few posts here and there and start on the pops, oh and the pf rails have you sourced those yet?

I've found a few bigger items on the list.

Not rare, apparently, but I've found complete flipper assemblies, for instance. One Ball Guide.

I guess I can also order the posts and the t Nuts, although I REALLY don't want to start assembling things until I've at least got 50% of it found. And I'm for sure not touching anything until I see how it properly gets installed....especially if any extra drilling needs be done. I only get one shot most likely to make everything fit right and I don't want to screw it up.

#375 4 years ago

looking up TNut info. it appears I need 8-32 and 6-32 sizes..
https://www.amazon.com/Stainless-8-32x1-Thread-Barrel-Length/dp/B079329C2R/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1
is this right for 8-32? seems there are more of these than the 6-32

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#376 4 years ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

amazon.com link »

Yes but still need both anyways

#377 4 years ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

amazon.com link »

Oddly, not just any t-nut will do.
Some have fit into recesses.

There are 4 or 5 different flange sizes.

So, Marco or pinball life, they post the outer flange diameters.

#378 4 years ago

Jason Wilson that owns game galaxy in Nashville TN just listed a addams parts lot for sale. You should yell at him

#379 4 years ago
Quoted from woody76:

Jason Wilson that owns game galaxy in Nashville TN just listed a addams parts lot for sale. You should yell at him

did a few hours ago and sadly taken .

I found a 6-32 t nut over a t marco. Will double check the proper settings before getting some.

Decals arrived safley at Virtua Pin. Will probably wind up getting a THING Speaker cover from them too..

#380 4 years ago

OK, so here is where we stand with the wire. My Wire Guy at the office saw the pinball images I saved and said the following. Apparently his company deals with a company that makes stuff like that. All he needs is either a schematic, or wire lengths, color codes, and connectors, and apparently these people can make something like that for me.

Now, if I where to send him info to get an exact copy of what is in these builds, what would he need sent over?

If we can get him to make one, and the prototype turns out good, maybe I can get him to do a small run if others need one and like the result.

#381 4 years ago

I'm not aware of any templates available....i think you will have to provide him with an original harness he can work with or if someone has the time to make a template/drawing of original harness and hand that over to him.

#382 4 years ago
Quoted from Stretch7:

I'm not aware of any templates available....i think you will have to provide him with an original harness he can work with or if someone has the time to make a template/drawing of original harness and hand that over to him.

If someone wants to provide one, I will more than gladly send it over and pay for the cost of the prototype. as I said, if it turns out good, and the pro's here like it, I can do a run of, say 20 if the price is not too hi...

it would also need to have the precise gauge of wire/length, the precise end connectors mentioned on each end listed as well, of course in this design/build job

#383 4 years ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

OK, so here is where we stand with the wire. My Wire Guy at the office saw the pinball images I saved and said the following. Apparently his company deals with a company that makes stuff like that. All he needs is either a schematic, or wire lengths, color codes, and connectors, and apparently these people can make something like that for me.
Now, if I where to send him info to get an exact copy of what is in these builds, what would he need sent over?
If we can get him to make one, and the prototype turns out good, maybe I can get him to do a small run if others need one and like the result.

As someone who has quoted wire harnesses, you won't get anyone to build it in a professional setting.

#384 4 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

As someone who has quoted wire harnesses, you won't get anyone to build it in a professional setting.

Yeah I find it extremely unlikely as well.

Quoted from Shredder565:

If someone wants to provide one, I will more than gladly send it over and pay for the cost of the prototype.

You could possibly template it yourself using the schematics and matrixes in the manual, though it would be incredibly time consuming without a reference game. I think the best route to go would be to provide them the wire gauge, length, and color list from a few pages back so you can potentially get all the correct wire to build the harness with.

#385 4 years ago

Unobtanium parts when I did mine;
PF wiring harness (obviously)
Metal bracket for 'Vault' red and green light plastic + wiring harness.
Plastic for 'Thing' ramp red and green light + wiring harness
Correct lower cabinet harness (there are some subtle differences because of the knocker position)
PF Light boards (especially the mansion one)
All ball guides (especially the large orbit that goes from top right over to mid left of the pf)
All wire ball guides (the little V shaped one up near the Thing scoop would be a bitch to make)
The lower part of the 'Thing' box base (last I checked)
Timber side rails and guides
P/f backboard
"Kick Bear on centre ramp.." ramp plastic metal brackets
bookcase opto sensor boards and also lenses
Wiring harness for bookcase assembly
Wiring harness for bookcase opto board's
Wiring harness for Thing hand
Wiring harness for main ramp assembly
Additional flipper driver board
Telephone plastic mounting brackets
Thing hand opto pcb

This is all off the top of my head to some extent, and looking over old scratch build photo's.
Its the little things that catch you out, just when you think you are getting close to having everything needed.

I finished my scratch build, machine looks fantastic. Would never do it again though...

#386 4 years ago
Quoted from atrainn:

Yeah I find it extremely unlikely as well.

You could possibly template it yourself using the schematics and matrixes in the manual, though it would be incredibly time consuming without a reference game. I think the best route to go would be to provide them the wire gauge, length, and color list from a few pages back so you can potentially get all the correct wire to build the harness with.

Just done. I copied and pasted the list, and I sent over a photo of the wire harness..saying it was a few joined together to make one. I wanted him to forward the list and photo over to the company to see how gung ho they'd be about the project. hopefully it won't take too long to get a response back.

#387 4 years ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

Just done. I copied and pasted the list, and I sent over a photo of the wire harness..saying it was a few joined together to make one. I wanted him to forward the list and photo over to the company to see how gung ho they'd be about the project. hopefully it won't take too long to get a response back.

There are three playfield harnesses. One is switches, one is lamps and the other is flashers and coils.

#388 4 years ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

The wiring harness is the least of your concerns.

Its the hard assemblies and metal formed parts that have to be fabricated.

#389 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

The wiring harness is the least of your concerns.
Its the hard assemblies and metal formed parts that have to be fabricated.

Yep, I know. but if I can get a replica done, it's another big hurdle out of the way.
and one less big part to worry about!

#390 4 years ago

If anyone has a harness for taf, I could make copies. Nobody has spare harness' laying around tho

#391 4 years ago

Transformer just purchased from a pinside member.

last purchase till the cabinet gets here. time to save up a little again . hopefully all the super big items out of the way first.

#392 4 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

If anyone has a harness for taf, I could make copies. Nobody has spare harness' laying around tho

what we need to find is something like this
pinball graveyard
https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcRl4qga139qfRzle0D_mrLjxG5JxaInPSm82uRiVE4d8KtuZGpX

#393 4 years ago

I couldn't agree more. You just know there are a few really trashed TAF's out there. It's a matter of finding them.

#394 4 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I couldn't agree more. You just know there are a few really trashed TAF's out there. It's a matter of finding them.

They are definitely out there. Here was mine pre-rebuild

20180730_144553 (resized).jpg20180730_144553 (resized).jpg

#395 4 years ago

A little bit of polish and away you go.

#396 4 years ago
Quoted from metahugh:

They are definitely out there. Here was mine pre-rebuild
[quoted image]

Good candidate for novus2 and some wax.

#397 4 years ago

You silly boys keep talking like someone is just going to whip up a wire harness...Even if you could find someone to do it more than likely it would be a big waste of time/money on this project, simply because it is scratch built with no reference the wire will come up short as per original, And the IDC connectors hve actual blades for displacing insulation, so after tweaking that around for two days or whatever to make it fit You have compromised the integrity of the wire...Making wire is actually very easy, MEK and fuel dye (1oz/.25ml) will do a couple hundred feet of pretty much any color or combination found on that machine.

#398 4 years ago

Well, at the very least, at least I should have all the wire I need, or a good amount to start with if he can at least come through on that end.
The Wire guy always comes on wensday, so we'll see what he has to say today.

brand new shiny transformer has arrived! heavier than I thought it'd be. the arcade one didn't weigh that much IIRC.

No more part buying until late Feb.

will be buying afew things then.I found a bottom part of the thing box thanks to a link sent. that's on the list too now.

#399 4 years ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

Well, at the very least, at least I should have all the wire I need, or a good amount to start with if he can at least come through on that end.
The Wire guy always comes on wensday, so we'll see what he has to say today.
brand new shiny transformer has arrived! heavier than I thought it'd be. the arcade one didn't weigh that much IIRC.
No more part buying until late Feb.
will be buying afew things then.I found a bottom part of the thing box thanks to a link sent. that's on the list too now.

Yeah they are proper linear power supplies none of this modern day noisy switch mode rubbish

#400 4 years ago

What parts are you still looking for?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
26,000 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
$ 26.99
Playfield - Other
Lee's Parts
Other
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 38.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Various novelties
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 49.99
11,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Decals
$ 180.00
Cabinet Parts
Starcade Amusement
Cabinet parts
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep
Under cabinet
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens
Toys/Add-ons
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie
Other
Boards
Slap Save Creations
Boards
$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser
Pinball Machine
10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms
Other
$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive
There are 5,378 posts in this topic. You are on page 8 of 108.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/addams-family-scratch-build/page/8?hl=davi and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.