20240419_123624 (resized).jpg
20240419_123607 (resized).jpg
20240419_123503 (resized).jpg
20240419_123438 (resized).jpg
20240418_151220 (resized).jpg
20240418_151930 (resized).jpg
20240418_142010 (resized).jpg
438922685_10161016172280211_6004500180515248965_n (resized).jpg
There are 5,470 posts in this topic. You are on page 75 of 110.
#3701 11 months ago
Quoted from orangegsx:

Happy you aren't giving up, bummed I couldn't buy your playfield lamp boards!
Hope you keep grinding and finish up soon.

gone too far and spent too much too stop now .

just a matter of not getting overwhelmed with all the LITTLE stuff that still has too be done now that all the BIG stuff is taken cared of.

#3702 11 months ago

It was very fake, I messaged them and got asked if I had cash app and to send the payment right away, when I asked for more pictures and they sent pictures of a different playfield. The profile looked very suspicious as well.

1 month later
#3703 10 months ago

Still here. got distracted trying too track down two pc's that suddenly developed issues. and been playing games more than building them. I STILL plan on getting this finished this year.barely 15% left on this thing to get done.

I do think I want too get that rotis mentioned a few pages back first, though. I'm not quite at the point where I can do without one though.

1 week later
#3704 9 months ago

Finally decided to get my TAF finished up.

Cabinet is drilled and fitted and tested for proper fit.

Top carriage bolts inset to keep the cloud topper from cracking and breaking when its bolted down:
bac view (resized).jpgbac view (resized).jpgfront view (resized).jpgfront view (resized).jpginset bolts heads (resized).jpginset bolts heads (resized).jpg

Ready for prime, paint and decals.

Im going to powder coat the armor.

The CPR "gold" playfield I bought has a terrible clear coat on it.

Ill re-clear it properly.

So a bit of paint here and there, then ASSEMBLY !!

#3705 9 months ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

Finally decided to get my TAF finished up.
Cabinet is drilled and fitted and tested for proper fit.
Top carriage bolts inset to keep the cloud topper from cracking and breaking when its bolted down:
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]
Ready for prime, paint and decals.
Im going to powder coat the armor.
The CPR "gold" playfield I bought has a terrible clear coat on it.
Ill re-clear it properly.
So a bit of paint here and there, then ASSEMBLY !!

Very well done Thing! You’re really on the ball!

#3706 9 months ago
Quoted from dmacy:

Very well done Thing! You’re really on the ball!

No fair... I only get 'slow down, thing' .

I keep going back and forth on what I Want to finish first. now after working on two different pcs, I'm getting the urge to getting the wiring all finished in the back.

#3707 9 months ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

No fair... I only get 'slow down, thing' .
I keep going back and forth on what I Want to finish first. now after working on two different pcs, I'm getting the urge to getting the wiring all finished in the back.

Ill post again when the cabinet is painted, stenciled and decaled.

I have a set of mirror blades I would like to use.

Im thinking they would be good on this TAF resto.

They didnt fit on my Funhouse resto, the cab was too narrow,

Do mirror blades fit good on TAF?

#3708 9 months ago

Ill post again when the cabinet is painted, stenciled and decaled.
I have a set of mirror blades I would like to use.
Im thinking they would be good on this TAF resto.
They didnt fit on my Funhouse resto, the cab was too narrow,
Do mirror blades fit good on TAF?

My thought process on this is simple : "Does having it look purty out weigh having EVERYTHING in your space reflected back at you along with lights times 2?' that's the obvious problem with mirrored surfaces. also, keeping them finger print clean.

this is the problem with me and ADHD/OCD. I look at this mess of wires, and I get overwhelmed. my eye gets distracted and even If I try too tackle it by section, I keep thinking i'm going too miss something. I think what I'm going too half too do is focus on the big stuff first. Things Motor and Magnet as step one. and try and go down it that way. IF I can get that working, move too the next one.

Pinside_forum_7571442_3385748 (resized).jpgPinside_forum_7571442_3385748 (resized).jpg
#3709 9 months ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

My thought process on this is simple : "Does having it look purty out weigh having EVERYTHING in your space reflected back at you along with lights times 2?' that's the obvious problem with mirrored surfaces. also, keeping them finger print clean.
this is the problem with me and ADHD/OCD. I look at this mess of wires, and I get overwhelmed. my eye gets distracted and even If I try too tackle it by section, I keep thinking i'm going too miss something. I think what I'm going too half too do is focus on the big stuff first. Things Motor and Magnet as step one. and try and go down it that way. IF I can get that working, move too the next one.
[quoted image]

Since I have to clear coat a couple playfields, it will be 6 weeks until I can populate the TAF.

So, I have a bit of time to paint, stencil and populate the cabinet.

I like to get the game running in the cabinet before I start on the playfield.

Populating the playfield is actually much easier than the cabinet work and only takes a couple weeks for me if I have all the parts on hand.

With shipping parts that I didnt realize I needed it can take a month.

I think I can finish the game 90 days from now.

My game will be "for sale" as soon as its done.

1 week later
#3710 9 months ago

now you're just braggin' ;o)

long overdue final wiring started. first, will be tackling the jets. they are the easiest too spot in this mess of wires. wish the underside looked a little cleaner.

359841882_10160537685795211_3715224182208440761_n (resized).jpg359841882_10160537685795211_3715224182208440761_n (resized).jpg
#3711 9 months ago

before I start soldering...does it matter wich tab it gets attached too?

#3712 9 months ago

For the coils? Not on this title. Flippers they need to be wired a certain way.

#3713 9 months ago
Quoted from dmacy:

For the coils? Not on this title. Flippers they need to be wired a certain way.

That's a good thing. It'll make this phase go much faster.
Get the coils done first, remaining lights done second.

1 week later
#3714 9 months ago

one week later, sore arm troubles finally went away and I can move it normally again. never lift heavy things by yourself, even if no one is around. lesson learned.

hopefully tommorow I can start soldering the solenoids.. starting with the jet bumpers. will work my way across and up... going to thing magnet, book case motor, thing motor. and then down and over..

#3715 9 months ago

I finally had time to re-clear my "Gold" CPR playfield. It had just too many defects:

Inserts raised, inserts low, tape marks in the clear, overspray, orange peel etc.

The ball wouldn't roll in a straight line over the mansion and greed inserts.

Its nothing that cant be sanded out and re-cleared.

So, Im catching up!
taf playfield done (resized).jpgtaf playfield done (resized).jpg

It took 4 coats of clear, sanded down flat each coat, to get it flat.

Final coat, block sanded, flattened, polished and buffed in my temporary polishing booth !

Paint is too soft right now to put a "true" mirror sheen on it. I'll do that in 6 weeks and inspect the final die back.

Its good enough, now we wait 6 weeks for reassembly.

Time to work on the cabinet!

#3716 9 months ago

For now its "wall art" in Pinballgoddess music room.
wall art (resized).jpgwall art (resized).jpg

P2K clear always puts a slight bow as it shrinks.

A bow is ok, twists however need special care for a couple months.

Hard oak rails from Reese Rails will easily flatten it later.

#3717 9 months ago

I can hear the compliments now...'your wall art better not wreck my trophy art!, or scratch the walls!' ;o)

One bad soldering job done, about 30 more too go. I'm afraid too test these things. if something malfunctions, is there a quick way to stop the test/damage?

362273573_10160559490515211_8894175292337852636_n (resized).jpg362273573_10160559490515211_8894175292337852636_n (resized).jpg
#3718 9 months ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

One bad soldering job done,

You could sit at a bench with scrap parts and wire and develop your skills more and then move onto the machine. Maybe a half hour to become good at flowing solder.

Quoted from Shredder565:

is there a quick way to stop the test/damage?

Circuit breaker at wall, fuses, fire extinguisher.

LTG : )

#3719 9 months ago
Quoted from LTG:

Circuit breaker at wall, fuses, fire extinguisher.

now that's funny !

#3720 9 months ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

I can hear the compliments now...'your wall art better not wreck my trophy art!, or scratch the walls!' ;o)
One bad soldering job done, about 30 more too go. I'm afraid too test these things. if something malfunctions, is there a quick way to stop the test/damage?
[quoted image]

Helps to make a good mechanical connection first before you solder. Strip enough wire to wrap it through and around the coil lug first then add solder. Both joints there could use some more solder flowed.

#3721 9 months ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

[quoted image]

2 things:

#1) Your soldering needs to be better.

The wire DOES NOT have to go through the hole in the coil lug. It just has to be fully soldered on about a 1/4" of wire. You can do it if you wish, but its NOT altogether necessary.

You "currently" have cold joints that will crack loose and fail due to vibration. Adding melted insulation to the joint will cause it to fail.
"Tin" the wire ends before trying to solder to the coil lug. "Tin" the coil lugs with some fresh solder.

This way, the solder will melt at the same temperature, on BOTH SIDES of the joint.

Add a little solder to the cleaned tip of the iron before making up the joint. The liquid solder will help with the heat transfer, you will make up the joint faster.

If the solder wont FLOW right, add a little flux to the cooled connection with a q-tip, try again.

The 2 freshly "tinned" connections should bond together with little or no extra solder (other than the little solder you put on the tip before you started to make up the joint). Be quick enough that you DONT melt the wire insulation.
If you continuously burn insulation or the flux burns dark or black, your temperature is TOO HIGH.

Clean off burnt flux with rubbing alcohol and a cotton ball or wad of paper towel.

Make up some practice wires:

Cut 6 pieces of scrap wire, 4" long, and strip off 3/8" of insulation from each side of your practice wires.

Twist each of the 12 bare ends of the wires with fingers to keep them from fraying out. Do NOT attach wires together yet.

Flux the bare wire end with paste flux (just dip the ends into the pot). "Tin" the wire ends with melted solder via the soldering iron and a roll of solder.

Apply the solder to the iron in a big drip and then apply it to the fluxed wire.

The end result should be shiny and well coated with NO burnt or melted insulation and no badly burnt flux.

Keep practicing until you are confident and have good results. Adjust your temperature and speed of movement as needed.

Keep the soldering iron tip CLEAN with a wet sponge or a copper scrubbing pad.

Any bad joints, just snip then off and try again.

After you have all 6 wires "tinned", solder the "tinned" ends together into a circle. This will teach you temperature control and how to solder a wire in the "real" world.

This was how we learned in High School.

#2) How do test things one at a time:

My method is to use Molex connectors.

AFTER you have successfully soldered the wires to the coils, move back about 3" from the coil and cut both wires.
Strip off 1/4" of insulation from all 4 wire ends.

Add female pins the the HARNESS wire ends, Add MALE pins to the coil wire ends.

Slide the ends into the correct connector housings.
Keep track of the wire colors and match them as you go.

If there are 2 wires on a lug:

Again, 3 or 4" back from the coil:

Working on one pair of wires at a time:

Strip the insulation 3/8" and twist them together on the HARNESS SIDE.
The molex pin will accommodate 2 wires, crimp a Female pin on the twisted end of the pair of wires.

Do this for each pair of wires. One pair at a time so that you dont mis-wire a pair.

The coil side only needs one wire per pair now.

There is no point in twisting the wires together on the coil lug side, the connection is already made at the female harness pin.

You can just snip off the extra unnecessary wire from the coil lug.

Molex each and every coil. Plug them in individually and test them one at a time.

Most of the coils are 2 lugs.

Use 2 circuit .093 connectors and pins.

The flippers use 3 circuit connectors but the same .093 pins.

If unsure about Molexing, use your scrap wire and crimp pins onto it until you are confident.

I use this crimper and like it a lot:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00OMM4YUY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_image

It works on all crimped connections in a game, both .062 and .093

It will also crimp barrel connectors in a pinch.

The cheapest place to get connectors and pins is Newark Electronics.

Part numbers can be GLEANED from the old Great Plains Electronics website while its still up:

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/categories.asp?cat=35

#3722 9 months ago

Molexing is not a bad idea. extra work, but saftey during the testing phase when I get too it.

Sadly, we never learned soldering in high school. all we had was wood shop. I still think it'll be a little easier soldering with a rotis so it's facing down instead of sideways, so until then, I'll look up some youtube videos and try the practice wire method. we've got enough of it in the back too get around too it.

#3723 9 months ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

Molexing is not a bad idea. extra work, but saftey during the testing phase when I get too it.
Sadly, we never learned soldering in high school. all we had was wood shop. I still think it'll be a little easier soldering with a rotis so it's facing down instead of sideways, so until then, I'll look up some youtube videos and try the practice wire method. we've got enough of it in the back too get around too it.

I molexed my entire game before I pulled it apart. It took a day and a half, taking my time.
Time well spent as now all I have to do is plug things back together....NO SOLDERING ! ! ! ! !

Practise your soldering, its an important skill thats easy to learn. I laid out some beginner exercises for you.

Another good exercise it making little men or simple sculptures by soldering shaped or formed paperclips together.
It tough because if you get it too hot it falls apart and you use flux.

Again, this was beginner exercises from High School electronics in the 70's.

It worked then, and should work now...

My teacher was a crusty old guy, retired from the navy. They really know their stuff!

You always have to start somewhere or sometime, why not now?

#3724 9 months ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

Molexing is not a bad idea

Actually, Molexing a game is one of the BEST things you can do.

Down the road as the game needs service or cleaning, is EXTREMELY simple to just unplug a mech from the game and work on it on your workbench.

At this point, I NEVER solder anything inside a game unless its absolutely necessary.

I molex the wires, then pull out the mech complete.

I even molex switches using mini-fit jr connectors if they are tough to access. Especially EOS switches.

I even molex lamps if there is a whole run of them, like on the GI strings and pop-bumpers.

This technique is now widely used by the better restoration guys and "new" modern games as they come out.

It dramatically speeds up assembly and troubleshooting.

#3725 9 months ago

Another painstaking step is to label EVERYTHING !

I use a P-Touch, the labels are solvent proof and dont fall off or wash off even in my sonic cleaner

One of my TAF harnesses:
taf harness (resized).jpgtaf harness (resized).jpg

In the old days I just marked the connections with a Sharpie.

But it washes off way too easy.

1 week later
#3726 8 months ago

as my machine stands there mocking me, about 85-90% complete... I FINALLY got out too lowes and bought a 9volt battery. I can confirm the back box lights do indeed work. so it would hopefully seem too be a fuse issue.

#3727 8 months ago

further update. I lifted the board up today, just too double check that ALL where working, and it only looked like they all where in the dark. about half the non flashers where working and a little less on the flasher side.

so, decided too practice my soldering here. will salvage what lights I can with the de solder-er and start from scratch. testing two lights at a time before moving on too the next too.

it's been a while since I did this part. but what size wire do we need again for these suckers?

365288089_10160586124230211_928190672639788239_n (resized).jpg365288089_10160586124230211_928190672639788239_n (resized).jpg
#3728 8 months ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

it's been a while since I did this part. but what size wire do we need again for these suckers?

Personally hate the wire ... just replaced all the GI sockets on my Earthshaker and went with proper coated wiring .

#3729 8 months ago

I remember when searching pictures, that's how one user did his, and thought that was the way it was supposed too go. wonder if the non coated wire was causing a short somewhere.

#3730 8 months ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

r if the non coated wire was causing a short somewhere.

Shouldn't if done properly...
For me it's a matter of esthetics.

#3731 8 months ago
Quoted from transprtr4u:

Personally hate the wire ... just replaced all the GI sockets on my Earthshaker and went with proper coated wiring .

What did you use to anchor the wire?

Staples always looked cheap to me, and are difficult to manage down the road.

Im thinking of using something else.

In theory you dont need to anchor the wires if they are insulated.

#3732 8 months ago

Staples always looked cheap to me, and are difficult to manage down the road.
Im thinking of using something else.
In theory you dont need to anchor the wires if they are insulated.

How about these?

https://www.pinballlife.com/cable-clamp-14-diameter.html

#3733 8 months ago

It also makes the board look like swiss cheese. nice too know.

decided too use a few of my extra sockets on some. Also, found a melted bulb... could be one problem.

366615677_10160586357425211_5741597975706310076_n (resized).jpg366615677_10160586357425211_5741597975706310076_n (resized).jpg366802808_10160586352090211_4934110765322893444_n (resized).jpg366802808_10160586352090211_4934110765322893444_n (resized).jpg366826624_10160586352145211_4996973303719997468_n (resized).jpg366826624_10160586352145211_4996973303719997468_n (resized).jpg
#3734 8 months ago

I did use staples.. would be way to many clamps .. although there are some options at home depot for cable -wire management.

20230730_160710.jpg20230730_160710.jpg
#3735 8 months ago

Here's mine. I duplicated what was done at the factory.

The bare wire is for the bulbs that flash. You don't need to use bare wire, you can use insulated. I did it just to duplicate what was there as I wanted my game to look like the original, and to make it easier to see which bulbs were supposed to flash.

P1010108 (Large) (resized).JPGP1010108 (Large) (resized).JPG
#3736 8 months ago

Nice work !

#3737 8 months ago
Quoted from stangbat:

Here's mine. I duplicated what was done at the factory.
The bare wire is for the bulbs that flash. You don't need to use bare wire, you can use insulated. I did it just to duplicate what was there as I wanted my game to look like the original, and to make it easier to see which bulbs were supposed to flash.
[quoted image]

just ordered a bunch of wire. let the fixups begin.

#3738 8 months ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

just ordered a bunch of wire. let the fixups begin.

If you want a higher resolution photo, let me know. I cut the size down on the one I posted.

#3739 8 months ago
Quoted from stangbat:

If you want a higher resolution photo, let me know. I cut the size down on the one I posted.

Beautiful clean work!

I like the use of regular "staple in" sockets in place of the NLA IDC ones, as well as them being bayonet instead of crap wedge style.

How are the regular sockets held in place?

I see staples on the GI ones, just like factory.

#3740 8 months ago

Beautiful clean work!
How are the regular sockets held in place?

I'm not sure what you mean. They are all stapled bayonet sockets being held in by staples. It is hard to see at the resolution I posted and the solder covers some of them up.

Another note, to make it clear, mine that I posted is a duplicate of the factory. Only difference is it doesn't have the 555 IDC sockets that you can't get any more. The routing of the wires, the wire colors, even the zip ties are how it was done from the factory.

#3741 8 months ago
Quoted from stangbat:

The routing of the wires, the wire colors, even the zip ties are how it was done from the factory.

This is the way.

#3742 8 months ago
Quoted from stangbat:

I'm not sure what you mean. They are all stapled bayonet sockets being held in by staples. It is hard to see at the resolution I posted and the solder covers some of them up.
Another note, to make it clear, mine that I posted is a duplicate of the factory. Only difference is it doesn't have the 555 IDC sockets that you can't get any more. The routing of the wires, the wire colors, even the zip ties are how it was done from the factory.

Gotcha, I just didnt see the staples.

#3743 8 months ago

extra sockets came in. this time they have a place for the screw.I didn't like the idea of stapling 'em down and mixing in with the wire.
wire is slower shipping. gets here thursday. hoping for better results. and if the soldering turns out nicer, I can go back too the flashers and solenoids and get the underside done, hopefully.

367711289_10160594121175211_2770007176232763100_n (resized).jpg367711289_10160594121175211_2770007176232763100_n (resized).jpg
#3744 8 months ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

extra sockets came in. this time they have a place for the screw.I didn't like the idea of stapling 'em down and mixing in with the wire.
wire is slower shipping. gets here thursday. hoping for better results. and if the soldering turns out nicer, I can go back too the flashers and solenoids and get the underside done, hopefully.
[quoted image]

Did you sneeze on it?

#3745 8 months ago
Quoted from radium:

Did you sneeze on it?

Tears of joy from being so close to completion!

#3746 8 months ago

or sweat ?

#3747 8 months ago

If you zoom in it’s not liquid but holes?

#3748 8 months ago

Frito fingers.

#3749 8 months ago
Quoted from russdx:

If you zoom in it’s not liquid but holes?

tears of staples removed...

#3750 8 months ago

4 done today. wire arrived early. also, wire dangerous and pokie thingy! owie!

367706519_10160596209380211_5304946548948155395_n (resized).jpg367706519_10160596209380211_5304946548948155395_n (resized).jpg367717632_10160596209370211_12575729848569677_n (resized).jpg367717632_10160596209370211_12575729848569677_n (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 320.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 28.99
Playfield - Protection
Lee's Parts

$ 19.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 27.99
Rubber/Silicone
Comet Pinball

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 29.99
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 35.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 1,059.00
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 5,470 posts in this topic. You are on page 75 of 110.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/addams-family-scratch-build/page/75 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.