20240418_151220 (resized).jpg
20240418_151930 (resized).jpg
20240418_142010 (resized).jpg
438922685_10161016172280211_6004500180515248965_n (resized).jpg
438935641_10161016172310211_884505193556236161_n (resized).jpg
439014279_10161016172265211_7954450884413445341_n (resized).jpg
20240418_131921 (1) (resized).jpg
20240418_131941 (resized).jpg
There are 5,468 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 110.
#251 4 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

This thread is sad. This poor guy won't listen to reason, and is going to dump a ton of money into this only to end up with a pile of parts that he will never get his money back on.

You know that there are groups of people doing this on a regular basis, right?

#252 4 years ago
Quoted from ThatOneDude:

You know that there are groups of people doing this on a regular basis, right?

Thought the same thing. Wallybgood is on his 6th I think...MM, CC, MB, AFM, SS and working on TAF?

Just because you think it's crazy doesn't mean it is for someone else.

#253 4 years ago

Honestly just buy an Addams and do a playfield swap with a new playfield. It will feel like you are building one from the ground up I promise.

#254 4 years ago
Quoted from Passave:

Used wire is a bad idea, Those IDCs not only displaced (cut) the insulation but also compromised strands of the wire making it quite unreliable even as new.

If you cut the wire at the IDC, the rest should be good as new.

#255 4 years ago

I think it's more surprising that nobody has come forward with a taf harness yet. I've found a demolition man, t2, and a judge dredd in my quest for wpc wire.

#256 4 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Thought the same thing. Wallybgood is on his 6th I think...MM, CC, MB, AFM, SS and working on TAF?
Just because you think it's crazy doesn't mean it is for someone else.

Some times I think that I might be a little bit crazy. Yep, done six already. (two MMs) Working on TAF. Maybe next winter's project.
Wally

#257 4 years ago
Quoted from Passave:

Used wire is a bad idea, Those IDCs not only displaced (cut) the insulation but also compromised strands of the wire making it quite unreliable even as new.

I wouldn’t think so, as long as every connection is ohmd out and badly dried out wire is cut out, he should be fine. That’s why I say to use 2 harnesses; plenty of extra correct original colors to splice in where needed.... but new wire would be preferable, But difficult to locate. Maybe not possible to locate.

Regardless, I would not start at all if a wiring harness were not located first. It would have been the first part I would have purchased; even if I only had it to copy with new wire

#258 4 years ago
Quoted from wallybgood:

Some times I think that I might be a little bit crazy. Yep, done six already. (two MMs) Working on TAF. Maybe next winter's project.
Wally

Curious —
Did you make your own harnesses? And Did you have experience with pins before you delved into the first one? How long are you averaging on a build?

#259 4 years ago

I wasted years looking for a Wpc harness, if at all it is some hacked junk missing wire, Like I said earlier it is not a harness it is multiple harnesses hooked together after the machine is built, as evidenced by the quality control tags on them...I just made wire over at BYOAC, (Jennifer's hot new pin) using MEK and fuel dye...It was easy, but very time consuming.

#260 4 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

Curious —
Did you make your own harnesses? And Did you have experience with pins before you delved into the first one? How long are you averaging on a build?

Hey M
Yep, made all the harnesses. Used a combination of re-purposed wire from other pins and new wire. Some wire I striped myself to get the correct code.
I did a Funhouse rebuild before my first scratch build. Found out during FH that I really enjoyed doing this.
Been averaging about a year for each pin but may go for months without touching it.
Love every aspect of building pins from scratch including searching for parts, deciphering parts lists/schematics/wiring diagrams/assy drawings, making NLA parts, making harnesses, woodworking, painting, ...........
More info in my "There's one more ...." listed in post# 55 of this thread.
Wally

#261 4 years ago
Quoted from wallybgood:

Hey M
Yep, made all the harnesses. Used a combination of re-purposed wire from other pins and new wire. Some wire I striped myself to get the correct code.
I did a Funhouse rebuild before my first scratch build. Found out during FH that I really enjoyed doing this.
Been averaging about a year for each pin but may go for months without touching it.
Love every aspect of building pins from scratch including searching for parts, deciphering parts lists/schematics/wiring diagrams/assy drawings, making NLA parts, making harnesses, woodworking, painting, ...........
More info in my "There's one more ...." listed in post# 55 of this thread.
Wally

Wow that’s impressive!! I love pinball but can’t imagine building those at that speed or dealing with scratch harnesses.

#262 4 years ago

I saw a cpr gold taf playfield for sale for $1200 Canadian a few months back. My buddy has 2 taf gold playfields and I'm sure would part with one of them. Shoot me a pm if interested.

#263 4 years ago

The pf breaks down into 3 separate harnesses on those wpc games. Coil / flasher, lamp and switch. Coil is quite simple but the lamp / switch ones would scare me as they are a matrix so wires are going in all directions in like a grid pattern. They only look half decent as all cable tired to getter. Not sure I’d know where to start without copying a reference one. Reading the schematic is easy, it’s transferring that into the real world wire lengths which I think would be difficult. Plus you got a mixture of single lamps / lamp boards. Although if your scratch building you would probably turn all into single lamps?

#264 4 years ago

If it’s hard to find the correct colors and or sizes of wire for these builds, buddy up with an operator that’s cleaning out his warehouse. 90’s era Willy drivers aren’t worth the time to scrap them. We pull the PCB, eBay it for $100 and toss the rest in the dumpster. All the wire colors and sizes are the same as a pin from the era. Also, especially look for 33” monitor cabinets. Guys like me hate them. They’re hard to move, expensive to fix, take up too much warehouse space and not worth shit. But they’re a treasure trove for the wire!

#266 4 years ago

Made me think of this..

#267 4 years ago

So, I'm wondering something. Even though I fully intend to do a real pinball...

Has anyone done a virtual playfield connected to a real top backboard? that would be the second best option. But I guess for that I'd need a wide body....so out of luck there ;o)...

just thinking about stuff while looking at images online

#268 4 years ago

That's not as crazy as it sounds, Build 2 machines side by side, your ordering the same parts pieces and clips anyway, and it does save time...I currently am doing 13 machines all at once, (5 pins, 6 arcade, 1 juke, and a megatouch)

#269 4 years ago

I've got 4 active projects. I swap between them as my interest changes and parts arrive. I'm shopping a Baywatch, almost done rebuilding a basketcase Blackout, working on my own version of Stranger Things and a playfield up build of a Scared Stiff(with custom controller boards running with a pinmame emulation). The OP's project seems tame compared to the sisyphean task I've set myself.
So, yes, if you just want a running pinball machine, buy one. If you just want to experience a rebuild, buy a busted one. But if your groove is big, crazy projects where you create something... well, I get it and I'm rooting for you.

#270 4 years ago

Those sound like some really, really fun projects, (and secretly Jenn is a little curious)

#271 4 years ago

I don’t think the wiring harness will be as bad as people think- sure it will take time, but it is far from impossible- even if you don’t use the exact color wire, it still comes back to known connections and devices. Hell- you could probably make it all out of the same color wire, just mark your connectors carefully. This is a very doable project.
It will not make you rich.... but will keep you busy.

#272 4 years ago
Quoted from ryan1234:

Hell- you could probably make it all out of the same color wire, just mark your connectors carefully. This is a very doable project.
It will not make you rich.... but will keep you busy.

What a nightmare this would be later on when problems arise and things need to be traced down. I don't recommend this.

#273 4 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

What a nightmare this would be later on when problems arise and things need to be traced down. I don't recommend this.

I couldn’t agree more. Especially for someone’s first project into pinball. Keep it simple.

#274 4 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Yep. If you're going to do it, do it right.

#275 4 years ago

Im having some stainless steel backbox backboard panels A-14092-2 made up for some of my own projects. Not sure of cost yet but if you need one let me know.
I also have a extra backbox bare light board.

#276 4 years ago

Since this is not a restoration wire could be changed a little, Automotive grade would be a good choice, typically there are 19 different combinations most of are the same as that game, the big difference would be the 22ga. Was not usually used in the automotive industry and opted for 24ga...This could actually be considered an upgrade on a pin since it is a little bigger, (but not enough to be a problem with connectors)...Bay area sells a wide variety of good quality in 10ft pieces (for like 2 bucks or whatever).

#277 4 years ago
Quoted from Passave:

Since this is not a restoration wire could be changed a little, Automotive grade would be a good choice, typically there are 19 different combinations most of are the same as that game, the big difference would be the 22ga. Was not usually used in the automotive industry and opted for 24ga...This could actually be considered an upgrade on a pin since it is a little bigger, (but not enough to be a problem with connectors)...Bay area sells a wide variety of good quality in 10ft pieces (for like 2 bucks or whatever).

24g is smaller not bigger than 22

#278 4 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

I agree it would be less than ideal, but sometimes you got to compromise.
I deal with huge industrial controls cabinets every day. Thousands of connections, very few different wire colors...
It is more about documentation of connections (which Adams has tons of documentation)
If I have the manual for a pinball machine that shows connection points, I rarely look at wire color...
I also rarely trust wire color- I do 100% trust testing conductivity.

#279 4 years ago
Quoted from ryan1234:

If I have the manual for a pinball machine that shows connection points, I rarely look at wire color...
I also rarely trust wire color- I do 100% trust testing conductivity.

Amen. I've used wire color to track down things before, but it was once out of many, many times(rewiring a drop target from scratch). Always double check the connection.

#280 4 years ago

Yes 24 is smaller than 22, you get the point though right?...Long day.

#281 4 years ago
Quoted from wallybgood:

Hey 565
First step is to download the TAF Parts List and Manual from the IPDB.
Wally

Get to know Wally. Send him flowers. Remember him at Christmas. If you actually dig deep into this project you will soon find out exactly why I am advising this.
Terry.

#282 4 years ago

This princess loves flowers too...Oh Yes please me too!

#283 4 years ago
Quoted from Passave:

This princess loves flowers too...Oh Yes please me too!

Things just got weird

#284 4 years ago
Quoted from Chosen_S:

Things just got weird

She spent $4000 on an empty backbox. She can buy her own flowers, but pleasing is best done in pairs.

#285 4 years ago

Well little harsh *(feigned indignation) ALMOST 4k, you do realize I built the cab too right?... That is a fun project however, and if the OP has even half that much fun building his AF he is hooked for life.(smooch, wink)...Giggle.

#286 4 years ago

Now now guys and girls play good in the sand box :)lol

#287 4 years ago

The OP is already talking about a vp now? I starting to think this project will never happen. He'll acquire a few parts and that's it. Seen it numerous times with expierenced pinheads stocking up parts and boards to build a Indy or TZ only to find one, then abandon plans on the build. I even sent him a lead on a cpr gold TAF playfield and crickets....Just my .02 cents.

#288 4 years ago
Quoted from dirkdiggler:

The OP is already talking about a vp now? I starting to think this project will never happen. He'll acquire a few parts and that's it. Seen it numerous times with expierenced pinheads stocking up parts and boards to build a Indy or TZ only to find one, then abandon plans on the build. I even sent him a lead on a cpr gold TAF playfield and crickets....Just my .02 cents.

Because I'm not doing a gold, sir. all original game parts. i'm not even going to get the gold rom

#289 4 years ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

Because I'm not doing a gold, sir. all original game parts. i'm not even going to get the gold rom

Gold is the quality of the playfield. It's not for the Gold version of the machine.

I put my gold up in the marketplace (it's not the one he was talking about). I think it's priced at what CPR sold golds for ($899 gold, $799 silver, $699 bronze)

#290 4 years ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

CPR has a playfield rating system, silver, gold etc., I believe he is referring that the one up for sale is a CPR gold not for an Addams gold edition

#291 4 years ago
Quoted from Jaybird815:

CPR has a playfield rating system, silver, gold etc., I believe he is referring that the one up for sale is a CPR gold not for an Addams gold edition

ahh, my mistake then. there are so many places to get playfields, and it looks like only that one has the gold/silver/ rating system. I just automatically assumed it was a Gold playfield.

I'm still getting my metal legs under me, so please 'bear' with me ;o)...
Besides, I won't be able to afford a playfield until at least next week. and that's assuming my giant Ecto1 figure from Sideshow doesn't charge on the 20th after a 6 month delay.

#292 4 years ago

I got a feeling i'll be watching this thread for a looooooooong time

#293 4 years ago
Quoted from russdx:

I got a feeling i'll be watching this thread for a looooooooong time

yep, years and will probably never happen.

#294 4 years ago

*Secretly I hope it lasts for like forevvvvver, Lot of good people, and skillsets here...Wait till we start in on making screen (Right Mr. Kelly?)...OP, on that note I would seriously look into those mefolna ( <Not spelled correctly) backbox screen warnings, I am here to say making screens from scratch is not something you might not want to wish upon yourself.

#295 4 years ago
Quoted from Passave:

*Secretly I hope it lasts for like forevvvvver, Lot of good people, and skillsets here...Wait till we start in on making screen (Right Mr. Kelly?)...OP, on that note I would seriously look into those mefolna ( <Not spelled correctly) backbox screen warnings, I am here to say making screens from scratch is not something you might not want to wish upon yourself.

No need to worry about the screens when the cabinet builder offers it as an option.

#296 4 years ago

Buying a cab with screen already on it?, OMG you just robbed this guy of the experience... However I would be curious at the CNC approach since generally speaking those are only within the 80% mark. That could in theory throw off dimensions of OEM parts and mounting holes...We shall see so very exciting!

#297 4 years ago
Quoted from Passave:

Buying a cab with screen already on it?, OMG you just robbed this guy of the experience... However I would be curious at the CNC approach since generally speaking those are only within the 80% mark. That could in theory throw off dimensions of OEM parts and mounting holes...We shall see so very exciting!

My VirtuaPin cabinet was fully assembled with all trimmings, screenings, etc. I did still have to drill the holes in the side for the brackets the playfield hinges rest on. I measured that about 10 times before I was confident I was drilling in the right spot. I also had to drill the three holes in the backbox for the topper lights and the holes in the bottom for the transformer. Other than that, it was just a matter of swapping stuff from the old cabinet to the new.

#298 4 years ago

Shredder, I hope you don’t get discouraged by the QWERTY toughguys talking trash about you. This is doable. Listen to people that have done this (Wally!) Just take your time, and like anything else associated with pinball, have fun! If I were doing this, once I had a playfield, I’d start wiring the bottom before I started populating it. It’s going to take some time to find all the parts, so wiring it (and making sure you find someone close with a reference machine) will keep you focused on the prize at the end.

#299 4 years ago

I try not too listen to naysayers.

It's entirely possible this may not get completed. May I direct your attention to KITT. An almost completed dash (I have since added the two monitors and fixed the position of some of the lights. .)

I just can't justify the money to buy a car to put it in..considering allth e work a used car would probably need.

A Pinball, however, I would play every day.
72121482_10157417647000211_6133084140431474688_o (resized).jpg72121482_10157417647000211_6133084140431474688_o (resized).jpg

As for wire, we have a wire sales guy here at work, Next time he shows up... I will give him the list posted here a while back and see what he might be able to round up.

#300 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballlife:

Get to know Wally. Send him flowers. Remember him at Christmas. If you actually dig deep into this project you will soon find out exactly why I am advising this.
Terry.

Wallybgood is accepting Old Style Beer in lieu of flowers.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 35.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 26.99
Playfield - Other
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.99
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

There are 5,468 posts in this topic. You are on page 6 of 110.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/addams-family-scratch-build/page/6?hl=pinless and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.