20240419_123624 (resized).jpg
20240419_123607 (resized).jpg
20240419_123503 (resized).jpg
20240419_123438 (resized).jpg
20240418_151220 (resized).jpg
20240418_151930 (resized).jpg
20240418_142010 (resized).jpg
438922685_10161016172280211_6004500180515248965_n (resized).jpg
There are 5,470 posts in this topic. You are on page 64 of 110.
#3151 1 year ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

This thread has some good solid info and pictures of specific TAF backbox wiring:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/addams-family-backbox-wiring-help
You are not the only one who has had to inspect and go over every single wire in their game.

reading through it now, went by this picture, double checked all my connectors. not one looks like that, with those color wires, or looks like the one posted above. it DOES seem to be missing.

I have sent off a note to the wire builder, and will see what the reply says.

37edbab8da113dee082115f5b1980f9217c8a8f4 (resized).jpg37edbab8da113dee082115f5b1980f9217c8a8f4 (resized).jpg
#3152 1 year ago

And based on THIS one, My wire setup for 121 is different.

this is the one posted above, this is mine.
it looks like the white blue and violet wires are going into the same port as the white brown/brown wires.

309937b4530165ba55f19b2bf74edcfeedb81bac (resized).jpg309937b4530165ba55f19b2bf74edcfeedb81bac (resized).jpg85d1ca77a27a54f6cfb5ff9fdb7cdbb621782dc1 (resized).jpg85d1ca77a27a54f6cfb5ff9fdb7cdbb621782dc1 (resized).jpg
#3154 1 year ago
Quoted from LTG:

120 is a GI string

yes. Both #16 (the missing cut red/yellow wire) and the GI's don't seem to want to work now. I am testing the fuse set blocks in a bit. for the latter.
Every single other lamp on the board works perfectly (minus non hooked up flashers.)

#3155 1 year ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

it looks like the white blue and violet wires are going into the same port as the white brown/brown wires.[quoted image][quoted image]

in post 3152 The lower picture is NOT from a TAF, disregard it. Someone posted the wrong picture.

The pictures in the thread I mentioned ARE specifically for TAF.

#3156 1 year ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

reading through it now, went by this picture, double checked all my connectors. not one looks like that, with those color wires, or looks like the one posted above. it DOES seem to be missing.
[quoted image]

This picture in post 3151 is from a TAF.
Your wires on J-121 look correct in the connector.

#3157 1 year ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

it looks like the white blue and violet wires are going into the same port as the white brown/brown wires.

[quoted image][quoted image]

I will get to addressing some of the other issues that have been raised this morning. There's a few different posts of a few different issues that need to be sorted out.

First up though, is this second image in the post (image removed as quoted but the reference to the post is there). It is correct in that it represents J120/J121. It is INCORRECT in that (I'm fairly confident) it is NOT from The Addams Family. Reason: J115 contains the BLACK Panduit (higher current carrying capacity). This was used in machines built after The Addams Family. It's possible that Williams switch from the original YEL/YEL-WHT as the transformer secondary for GI to the newer multi-color harness during production of The Addams Family. I don't know for sure.

Given that the image has indications it is not from The Addams Family you should NOT trust which wires are connected in J120/J121.

Reference: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/addams-family-scratch-build/page/62#post-7171040

The wire colors are consistent. Consistently inserted in PAIRS. The colors of the pairs varies between machines. When I see that image, it doesn't seem correct. Too many different pairs in both J120/J121. Each string contains a absolute maximum of 20 bulbs per string (20 * 0.25A = 5A). That's maximum. They should typically have no more than 16 which is 80% of the 5A fuse. I don't see a problem with your J121. There are two pairs of GI string wires - BRN/WHT-BRN and VIO/WHT-VIO.

Try using the GI test (T.6) to illuminate individual strings. The text on the display should also indicate WHERE the string is located.

#3158 1 year ago

Quick update before I Read the other replies. I got the meter out, to ME, it looked like at least one fuse was blown. I got a second opinion, turns out TWO fuses where blown. 106 and 110. Replaced those from my spares, and BOOM, the right side playfield GI's work. Still no real luck on the left side (White/Brown). but it's progress.

#3159 1 year ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

the one for #16 is the one that is NOT working. this one also has the three blues. What I would assume, is that one of these blues needs to be connected to the cut wire for that one to work.

You should only see three wires connected to a single point under very special circumstances. This is not normal. Examples of these circumstances are GI power distribution point (where the GI feed comes from the harness) and tieback diode wire connection on a solenoid lug.

What blue wire? I assume you mean RED-BLU wire. Lamp 16 is higher up on the playfield. I don't see a relevant image of the wiring around the lamp. You should be looking for YEL-BRN and RED-BLU wires.

Quoted from Shredder565:

I only have two connectors on my light socket setup. one for 121 and one for 138. no 120.

You should try not to conflate GI and controlled lamps (lamp matrix). They are distinct circuits operating completely differently. GI is J120/J121. Controlled lamps are J133/J134/J135 and J136/J137/J138. They may both be contained in a single "lamp harness" but they are electrically distinct.

Quoted from Shredder565:

Also, there IS no connector for 120 that I can see. 121 is there, but not 120. and I checked the others and their labels and all are running to the right spot.

Quoted from Shredder565:

What I was trying to say above, is that I do Not see a cable labeled 120 on my wires for the lights. not one on the switches setup, and the solenoids don't have those color wires, but I looked anyway. I See a 122, but no 120. I half expect a post to say, check again, you must have missed it somewhere. I even looked at all the other wires on the backbox board, no 120.

Quoted from Shredder565:

The wire harness builder will probably say there is nothing wrong with the harness that was built. I think you mentioned this harness came from someone located in Alberta. That person knows what he's doing.

The reason the other connector is not present is because that connector services the backbox ("insert") GI. You will have to make this if you have not already done so (or acquired it from someone else). This will have the other GI wire pairs. There should be NO flasher wires going to the backbox. This is a Lawlor game. Lawlor used BLINKERS not flashers. Blinkers are 455 or 545 bulbs. Flashers are 89 or 906 bulbs.

#3160 1 year ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

Quick update before I Read the other replies. I got the meter out, to ME, it looked like at least one fuse was blown. I got a second opinion, turns out TWO fuses where blown. 106 and 110. Replaced those from my spares, and BOOM, the right side playfield GI's work. Still no real luck on the left side (White/Brown). but it's progress.

Fuse 110 is specifically the GI wire white/brown.

Check the fuse with an ohmmeter and check for shorts on the white/brown wiring.

A short to ground will keep blowing fuses. Check your wiring carefully on that circuit.

#3161 1 year ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

turns out TWO fuses where blown. 106 and 110.

These are the only two fuses that should blow out of F106-F110 - at the moment. You have only connected BRN/WHT-BRN and VIO/WHT-VIO. F110 is the BRN string. F106 is the VIO string.

#3162 1 year ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

These are the only two fuses that should blow out of F106-F110 - at the moment. You have only connected BRN/WHT-BRN and VIO/WHT-VIO. F110 is the BRN string. F106 is the VIO string.

OK,. double update. I only hooked up ONE light two each set of wires just as a test. The light on the Brown/White/Right Side of the playfield turns on, the light on the Brown/White Top Side of the playfield turns on. THe light on the Blue/Violet top side turns on, the light on the BOTTOM side of Blue/Violet does not.
will read the other replies now.

#3163 1 year ago

and, just to keep things from getting confusing. this is #16 that had the three blue (watch, one will not be blue) wires attached to it and two yellow's. the one right next to it with the same wire string works fine.

IMG_0030 (resized).jpgIMG_0030 (resized).jpg
#3164 1 year ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

and, just to keep things from getting confusing. this is #16 that had the three blue (watch, one will not be blue) wires attached to it and two yellow's. the one right next to it with the same wire string works fine.

Ok. I can tell that you are NOT using the tests (particularly single lamp test) to verify your wiring. I am betting that you are either not using the test and watching attract mode or using the all lamp test and just seeing the pretty lights. Verification of correctness does not work like this.

Here's what I suggest you do before you start doing any more wiring of the controlled lamps.

1. Print out the lamp location page of the manual.
  2. Enter single lamp test.
  3. Step through EACH lamp ONE AT A TIME and check the lamp that lights on the playfield against the lamp location in the lamp location page that you printed out.
  4. Put a mark (permanent marker if you want) and X out each one that works.
  5. After you're done cycling through the single lamp test you will know exactly where you stand and what works and what does not work.
  6. If you disconnect and re-wire anything then you should re-perform this test to establish your new baseline - if you want to be sure.

Once again ... here's the lamp location page ... with special annotating / highlighting marker only available from DumbAss(tm).

00_taf_lamp_locations.jpg00_taf_lamp_locations.jpg

Here's what you have wired ... verified against the lamp location chart.

01_taf_individual_lamps.jpg01_taf_individual_lamps.jpg

It looks to me like you've wired lamp 17 with the wire for lamp 16 and you're left with wires you can't figure out for lamp 16 and presumably want to connect the wires for lamp 17 to lamp 16. You could've discovered this if you did the single lamp test - which is why I don't think you've ever done it even though it has been mentioned several times before.

You need to:

1. Disconnect the two RED-BLU wires from lamp 17.
  2. Connect those two RED-BLU wires to lamp 16.
  3. Take two RED-VIO wires from the three cluster that you have and connect them to lamp 17.
  4. Take the other single RED-VIO wire and (presumably) connect it to lamp 27 (in the vicinity).
  5. Verify that lamp 16 and lamp 17 have a YEL-BRN wire (or YEL jumper) connected to them.

Again ... I am working from the manual and your provided images. If you find a discrepancy then you will need to either make a judgement call based on what you see in front of you or post an image and ask for help.

If you are ever stopped as to what RED-XXX wire you are dealing with then do as I previously stated - test for continuity with the connector in J133/J134/J135 to determine what the stripe / trace color is. The order in that connector is known and you can deduce the color from the order.

EDIT: Pardon the "SW" in the image. I had done so many of them for the switches that this was an "autopilot" type. Of course, they should be "LMP".

#3165 1 year ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

Print out the lamp location page of the manual.
Enter single lamp test.
Step through EACH lamp ONE AT A TIME and check the lamp that lights on the playfield against the lamp location in the lamp location page that you printed out.
Put a mark (permanent marker if you want) and X out each one that works.
After you're done cycling through the single lamp test you will know exactly where you stand and what works and what does not work.
If you disconnect and re-wire anything then you should re-perform this test to establish your new baseline - if you want to be sure.

This^

Matt.

#3166 1 year ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

You could've discovered this if you did the single lamp test

Scratch-build homebrewer here, seconding this statement (or thirding, or fourthing?). I can't stress enough how easy it is to find and fix wiring issues when you step through each lamp individually.

#3167 1 year ago

I’d like to nominate dumbass and pinballinreno for the most patient humans on the planet.

#3168 1 year ago
Quoted from BobLangelius:

I’d like to nominate dumbass and pinballinreno for the most patient humans on the planet.

#3169 1 year ago
Quoted from BobLangelius:

except for the fact where I mentioned earlier that I ran through the two tests and everything looked right to me. this conveniently got ignored for a snarky comment.

So, I ran through the tests AGAIN, and AGAIN, on lamp 16, 7 lights lit, including cousin it. but not lamp 16. Lamp 27 is on a board connector, so I couldn't insert that extra wire into the board without taking it apart. and all the wires that had the red/blue where doubled up. so I didn't think inserting a third one was a good idea.

What I DID notice this time, is that the cousin it Lights where DIMMED, but ONLY during the test. when they ran the normal game, they where super bright like everything else. The other board on the top that was blinking during #16 in test mode was ALSO super bright. not sure if that is a problem or not...but that would be my first question.

#3170 1 year ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

except for the fact where I mentioned earlier that I ran through the two tests and everything looked right to me. this conveniently got ignored for a snarky comment.
So, I ran through the tests AGAIN, and AGAIN, on lamp 16, 7 lights lit, including cousin it. but not lamp 16. Lamp 27 is on a board connector, so I couldn't insert that extra wire into the board without taking it apart. and all the wires that had the red/blue where doubled up. so I didn't think inserting a third one was a good idea.
What I DID notice this time, is that the cousin it Lights where DIMMED, but ONLY during the test. when they ran the normal game, they where super bright like everything else. The other board on the top that was blinking during #16 in test mode was ALSO super bright. not sure if that is a problem or not...but that would be my first question.

Are you saying that in "single lamp test" for number 16 that you have 7 lamps lit? To be clear, in single lamp test, only ONE lamp should be lit for each number.

#3171 1 year ago
Quoted from setzkor:

Are you saying that in "single lamp test" for number 16 that you have 7 lamps lit? To be clear, in single lamp test, only ONE lamp should be lit for each number.

and equally, just so we are clear, here's the video. doing t-8

#3172 1 year ago

Well now the question is which lamps are on? I would assume that they would line up to a row or column in the matrix but after watching the video and doing some guessing it doesn't look like this is the case. There could be a backwards diode and/or wrong wires somewhere in the series of lamps that is lit.

#3173 1 year ago
Quoted from slag:

Well now the question is which lamps are on? I would assume that they would line up to a row or column in the matrix but after watching the video and doing some guessing it doesn't look like this is the case. There could be a backwards diode and/or wrong wires somewhere in the series of lamps that is lit.

I'll check the diodes right now. Also found out that white/brown GI wires DEF has a short in it. it blew my new fuse insert. so have to track that down next.
On the bright side, All the swamp switches are back to working properly, and 75/78 are also working properly. need a slightly bigger disconnect to get 16/17/18 hooked up right, and that SHOULD fix ALL the switch problems into working mode. one less thing to worry about.

#3174 1 year ago

OK, ONE diode was backwards. since I'm out and won't get a restock until friday, I cut that one for now. light doesn't work now, but everying minus white/brown GI and #16 does. went back to single lamp test and no go, still doing multiple lights.

#3175 1 year ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

OK, ONE diode was backwards. since I'm out and won't get a restock until friday, I cut that one for now. light doesn't work now, but everying minus white/brown GI and #16 does. went back to single lamp test and no go, still doing multiple lights.

In single lamp test only one lamp will light up (as selected) as you go thru each step of the test, if its all correct.

As you go thru each lamp, is there a time when only one lamp is lit, or are all lamps lit on each step all of the time?

The lamp matrix is very similar the the switch matrix.

Rows and columns are used and the lamp matrix chart shows this, as well as wire colors for each individual lamp.

It uses diodes to isolate each lamp separately.

If a diode is backwards you will get mulitple lamps lit.

If all the diodes are backwards you will get all lamps lit all the time.

Please look at the lamp matrix chart starting in the upper left corner, and verify the wire color and diode.

In this case its thing multiball:

yellow brown (column wire) to red brown (row wire), diode banded side to the red brown.

The top of the chart shows the diode direction.

All banded sides of the diodes go to the red-xxx color wires

If you need a "known good working" picture,of this particular lamp, one can be provided.

Follow the column down to the bottom and then start at the top again until you have looked at all the lamps.

Verify each wire color and diode as you go thru the chart.

Mark each one on the chart as you go so as to not get confused.

This exercise will only take 15 mins or so.

#3176 1 year ago

I checked the chart before I checked the diodes. The Striped side of the Diode goes to the Red Wire. only one of the lamps had that part wrong. But I'm wondering if I mis understood something and trying to find a clear picture of someone's light setup so I can confirm it. as someone posted earlier, just because something is working one place, doesn't mean it's wrong in another....

It will be a major d'oh moment if it was. and I officially change my nickname to dumbass jr.

#3177 1 year ago

As you go thru each lamp, is there a time when only one lamp is lit, or are all lamps lit on each step all of the time?

This is what I want to know

#3178 1 year ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

I checked the chart before I checked the diodes. The Striped side of the Diode goes to the Red Wire. only one of the lamps had that part wrong. But I'm wondering if I mis understood something and trying to find a clear picture of someone's light setup so I can confirm it. as someone posted earlier, just because something is working one place, doesn't mean it's wrong in another....
It will be a major d'oh moment if it was. and I officially change my nickname to dumbass jr.

Go thru the exercise I outlined above.

And please answer my question:

At any time during the "single lamp test" (as you step thru the indicted lamps), does a single lamp light up?

Or do all lamps light up all the time in every single step?

This is crucial information.

#3179 1 year ago
Quoted from slag:

This is what I want to know

nope, every time, at least 5 or so lamps are lit each setting.

Also, confirmed I did not mess up the diode install. I thought from images that the non striped end did not get connected to the side the yellow wire is on. from the pictures I can see, it does seem like my setup is right.

#3180 1 year ago

Go thru the exercise I outlined above.
And please answer my question:
At any time during the "single lamp test" (as you step thru the indicted lamps), does a single lamp light up?
Or do all lamps light up all the time in every single step?
This is crucial information.

Sorry, was browsing pictures....answered below. It's different lamps each time. For example, the ones in the video do not light up when the next lamp is highlighted in the cycle. but yes, alot of lamps come on in each cycle. not all at once, just a few. I can post another video if it helps going through all of them.

I am getting my color blind free guy in now and double checking each one again.

#3181 1 year ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

nope, every time, at least 5 or so lamps are lit each setting.
Also, confirmed I did not mess up the diode install. I thought from images that the non striped end did not get connected to the side the yellow wire is on. from the pictures I can see, it does seem like my setup is right.

Break down the errors.

If its 4 or 5 lamps and not "all lamps" this is ok.

Chose the first test and write down all of the lamps that light up. And report back

since its rows and columns this is important information.

Knowing which lamps are on will indicate where the problem is, in that specific test, by examining the affected lamp locations on the matrix chart.

Each test is seperate, you can go thru and fix the problems one by one.

Simply put, if its not a mis-wired or backwards diode, its a mis-wired wire on a socket.

If a socket is mis-wired, either a diode or a wire, 4 or 5 lamps will light up in that particular test.

The good news is that the problem is likely on (or near, per the matrix chart) one of the 4 or 5 lighted lamps in each step of the test.

#3182 1 year ago

Break down the errors.
If its 4 or 5 lamps and not "all lamps" this is ok.
Chose the first test and write down all of the lamps that light up. And report back
since its rows and columns this is important information.
Knowing which lamps are on will indicate where the problem is in that specific test.
Each test is seperate, you can go thru and fix the problems one by one.
Simply put, if its not a mis-wired or backwards diode, its a mis-wired wire on a socket.
If a socket is mis-wired, either a diode or a wire, 4 or 5 lamps will light up in that particular test.
The good news is that the problem is likely on one of the 4 or 5 lighted lamps in the test.

OK, that was interesting. with the table flipped around, I could see things MUCH more clearly. It may have changed when I clipped the backwards diode, but THIS time, there WAS a time when only a single lamp was lit. and there was also a time when no lamps where lit, but that could have been a cabinet light. I wanted a steady picture as possible, so I placed it on a chair and didn't get a shot of the screen, but you can tell by the dings which one it's on.

Finally got the GD thing to copy off the iphone and it's processing now. link coming shortly.

#3183 1 year ago

First thing I see is you must have wiring shorts between Yellow - Brown, Yellow - Red, and Yellow - Orange.

With the machine off, your multimeter will probably show continuity between these 3 wires.

#3184 1 year ago

Several lamps (R, second E and D in GREED for instance) seem to be shorted in a partially on state even when supposedly not energized. That may also be worth looking at...

#3185 1 year ago
Quoted from setzkor:

Several lamps (R, second E and D in GREED for instance) seem to be shorted in a partially on state even when supposedly not energized. That may also be worth looking at...
[quoted image]

I thought that was lamp 45 - mamushku. I checked that earlier.

#3186 1 year ago
Quoted from setzkor:

Could the one wrong diode have messed things up this badly, or can that be ruled out?

On the bright side, all switches work now, minus two, and I hope to have that problem solved in a minute with a de solder and a test. followed a white wire back, realized it only connected to two switches and nowhere else, so going to jumper it to the nearest color wire in the string of rows/columns and hope that solves that issue. maybe it'll finally get 76, left trough and the kicker all working properly. and I can put that one in the books.

#3187 1 year ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

Could the one wrong diode have messed things up this badly, or can that be ruled out?
On the bright side, all switches work now, minus two, and I hope to have that problem solved in a minute with a de solder and a test. followed a white wire back, realized it only connected to two switches and nowhere else, so going to jumper it to the nearest color wire in the string of rows/columns and hope that solves that issue. maybe it'll finally get 76, left trough and the kicker all working properly. and I can put that one in the books.

You know that people have explained how to check the matrix to make sure that you are connecting these wires to the right spots? Why not do that before soldering to a random spot that may or may not be correct?

#3188 1 year ago
Quoted from frisbez:

You know that people have explained how to check the matrix to make sure that you are connecting these wires to the right spots? Why not do that before soldering to a random spot that may or may not be correct?

The last paragraph was talking about the switches. And On THAT side of things, I can FINALLY say that ALL SWITCHES WORK. hot god damn. The wiring may still look a bit messy, but at least ALL the switches are working. Left, Center and Right Trough Switches work now. Outhole Works. 76/75/78 FINALLY all work.
Done on that set.

I can at least go to bed happy on that note.

#3189 1 year ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

Here's another snarky comment for you: just because it looks right to you does not mean it is right (correct). The only thing that matters is that it is correct according to the lamp location diagram which is what the software is using as its map for where the lamps are located and wired. The videos you have posted show that it is clearly NOT correct.

Yes ... that might seem like tough love but you've been messing around with this for days and, honestly, you're no closer to the target. This is not a personal attack. It just looks to me likely you're throwing stuff at the wall and seeing what sticks (trying different things and seeing what works). You have to be systematic to get this working. You can't just do random things. There's too much room for error. As I have said previously, there are many ways to (electrically) wire this INCORRECTLY. There is only one way to (electrically) wire this correctly.

We all want you to get to "lamp nirvana" but you have to slow down and work through things systematically.

Quoted from Shredder565:

Stop looking around at everything and focus on ONE thing at a time. Another complicating factor you have here is the use of LED bulbs. If you are using standard bulbs instead of non-ghosting bulbs you may get ghosting that will confuse you. The errant lamp illumination seen in your video is definitely NOT ghosting. It's incorrect wiring. Ghosting is a dim light and best seen in person.

Quoted from Shredder565:

since I'm out and won't get a restock until friday, I cut that one for now.

Just spend the $20 and buy 1,000 of these. You will NEVER run out again. At the rate you're burning through these you will need them.

Quoted from Shredder565:

light doesn't work now, but everying minus white/brown GI and #16 does. went back to single lamp test and no go, still doing multiple lights.

Focus on ONE thing at a time. You are getting yourself in knots. Again ... SLOW DOWN. Either choose to work on the GI or the controlled lamps. Not both. When you work on both and post about both (in the same post), it's just going to confuse you or the reader or both. Then when the reader posts a reply, is it a reply to the GI or the controlled lamps?

Quoted from Shredder565:

You don't need a picture from someone else (although these are readily available everywhere). There is really only one way to wire this up correctly.

A 3-lug bayonet socket has two conducting terminals and one inert (isolated) terminal. One of the conducting terminals is directly connected to the socket body. The other conducting terminal is directly connected to the center of the socket (isolated from the body). The isolated terminal is insulated (sandwiched) between the two conducting terminals.

• One conducting terminal takes the YEL-XXX wire.
  • The other conducting terminal takes the NON-BANDED end of the diode.
  • The non-conducting terminal takes both the BANDED end of the diode and the RED-XXX wire.

Here is how that relates to an image you have posted.

00_taf_lamp_socket_bayonet_3_lug.jpg00_taf_lamp_socket_bayonet_3_lug.jpg

• One conducting terminal takes the YEL-XXX wire (YEL arrow).
  • The other conducting terminal takes the NON-BANDED end of the diode (BLK/WHT arrow).
  • The non-conducting terminal takes both the BANDED end of the diode and the RED-XXX wire (RED arrow).

This is how it relates to the lamp matrix wiring diagram.

01_taf_lamp_matrix_wiring_diagram.jpg01_taf_lamp_matrix_wiring_diagram.jpg

• The YEL-XXX wire is shown with the YEL arrow.
  • The NON-BANDED end of the diode is shown with the MAGENTA arrow.
  • The BANDED end of the diode and the RED-XXX wire is shown with the RED arrow.

Another thing people often forget is that there is a diode on a lamp board. You have to learn to "think different" and see that just because the wires with insulation terminate in a connector doesn't mean that the current stops there. The current continues to flow through the lamp board. The lamp board is still part of the circuit. Take the lamp boards out and verify the diodes are correctly oriented on these boards.

02_taf_lamp_board.jpg02_taf_lamp_board.jpg

In my opinion ... I would ...

• Disconnect ALL the individual lamp sockets (bayonet) wires to reach a baseline. Make sure to keep the like colored wires connected together (either twisted or use a wire nut).
  • Run the single lamp test and verify all the lamp boards are correctly wired. If you've got that wired correctly only a single lamp should be illuminated for each lamp. These boards should be correct so this gives you a good baseline.
  • Now wire ONE LAMP and only one lamp (bayonet).
  • Run the single lamp test again. Verify everything works correctly. You still have a good baseline.
  • Proceed to the next ONE LAMP. Do the same verification.
  • Once you feel confident that you understand what you're doing (and WHY it works) then start doing multiples if you want. If you start doing multiples before getting one correct you will just introduce so many errors that you won't be able to figure anything out.

That's my advice. Take it or leave it. It's your machine. You can build it and wire it however you want.

#3190 1 year ago

Since you didnt do exercise 1 as I recommended, or due to your lack of expertise didnt see anything.

Here is another one:

Unplug and remove the mansion board and inspect carefully this board for backwards diodes.

Remove and check all of the other lamp boards the same way.

This is a good place to start as these lamp boards are "fixed" in that they are pre-wired from the provided harness.

If the boards are EXACTLY perfect, this will rule out half of the circuitry.

#3191 1 year ago

Since you didnt do exercise 1 as I recommended, or due to your lack of expertise didnt see anything.
Here is another one:

I went looking for my guy and he was gone for the day. it'll have to wait for tomorrow.

I did read the bottom of one post, didn't check out the whole thing yet. so, I JUST got around to cutting off all the bayonet wires. NOW it looks like one lamp at a time comes on. However, as I think someone else posted, SOME look dim during the tests.

I will remove the boards next and follow your above post. but after that, I'm done for the day. We'll see if I feel like going back at it tomorrow. and if I do, I'll go to slag's post first and see what those results are.

#3192 1 year ago

I agree with DumbAss above.

Your result is all over the place after a lot of bad work.

Clip off all the wires to the lamps and start over.

The next time:

Build and install the lamp wires by a single column from the matrix chart.

Start with column 1 and install the 8 lamps one at a time.

When done, run the single lamp test and check that each lamp runs indiviually in that column.

When certain that column 1 is perfect start wiring colum 2, and so on.

It seems like a lot of work, but really its nothing that cant be accomplished in a couiple hours.

Please make sure you use DumbAss example on wiring each lamp socket.

He is correct on this as well as everything else.

Be certain that the wire colors EXACTLY match on each and every lamp socket.

You can verify the wire integrity of the column wire at each lamp socket as you go with an ohm meter.

You can also check the path of the column wire all the way to the connector at the backbox to insure its good.

The column wire is HALF of the wires in the column and is easy to check as you go.

The other side of the lamp sockets have specific wire colors and go to specific pins on board in the backbox.

Insure that these are correct or the wrong lamp will light up in single lamp test. This will be apparent as the screen will display the lamp description that does not match what you see on the playfield.

#3193 1 year ago

Be certain that the wire colors EXACTLY match on each and every lamp socket.

As you have mentioned you are color blind, it may be worth the effort to label each wire with it's color when you have a color seeing assistant. It is a lot of work up front, but knowing for sure the wire color code will help you know where to put the wire. Unfortunately, without knowing the wire color code I think sometimes you are guessing where the wire goes based on it's location in the harness. This can lead to issues that are hard to diagnose.

#3194 1 year ago
Quoted from setzkor:

As you have mentioned you are color blind, it may be worth the effort to label each wire with it's color when you have a color seeing assistant. It is a lot of work up front, but knowing for sure the wire color code will help you know where to put the wire. Unfortunately, without knowing the wire color code I think sometimes you are guessing where the wire goes based on it's location in the harness. This can lead to issues that are hard to diagnose.

I am also color blind, but its not that big of a deal as all the wire colors look different anyway.

The key is knowing what represents a specific color as listed vs what I see.

I used to enlist the help of others when solving problems, but they often cant tell what a color is either. They tend to be no help at all.

As an example:

I hold up a yellow wire and ask, "what color is this?"
The answer varies between yellow-orange, or yellow green or orangey yellow, but definitely not yellow.

With all the variations of paint color, hue, fading and dirt, the listed colors are really only a guide and the colors are different enough that its easy to differentiate between them.

So, color blindness doesnt really matter at all.

#3195 1 year ago

I'm also color blind. My meter is my friend and goto when working on something, if I'm unsure of which wire I'm working with. You have to go slow and methodical. I can't imagine doing this project and not having an understanding of how to use a meter....

#3196 1 year ago
Quoted from chillme:

I can't imagine doing this project and not having an understanding of how to use a meter

It's not rocket science though.

Put it on continuity (beep) mode.
One probe on one end of the wire/connector, the other probe on the other end of the wire/connector.

If it beeps it has continuity (is continuous) if it doesn't beep there is a 'break' in the wire somewhere.

Not directed @ you chillme, just a Public Service Announcement

Matt.

#3197 1 year ago

Going to go radio silent in a bit to give this thread a bit of a break. but thanks to a few very patient DM's (you get a life time supply of beer)....here is an update. even covering old stuff that might have gotten mentioned before.

- cut every yellow/red GI wire.
- flipped over every PCB board to do a single lamp test.
-noticed it did work better. but some lights where not working. Two lights on Greed where out. Only two lights on Mansion where now Working, the rest out. and the one next to greed with the three lights (forget at the moment which one it is), one light worked, two are out.
-after much back and forth with the winner of life time beer....I finally got around to doing the following.

-tested the diodes with an ohm meter. Looked up a YT help video just to know what setting to put the thing on. All diodes came back with a reading of 6.3-6.8 and the other side was 1 or 0...
-tested the boards with a 9 volt battery. Non working Lights all lit up with the 9v on all three boards with problems. So at least we know the boards are OK.
-On Monday, I will see if we can test the connectivity from connector to board. Not sure if something could be bad there...but worth checking.

As for GI lights, some POSITIVE Progress to report.
ALL the White/Blue GI lights ARE WORKING. I did blow a fuse on that set of lights hooking up lamp five on the top, but I must have gotten the two prongs reversed. after it was tested with a 9v Battery and confirmed working, I put it back in, made extra sure all the prongs where going in the proper direction to all the lights, and boom. the 5th light worked. GI White/blue DONE.
-White/Brown. ALL the lights on the top of the playfield, five to be exact ARE WORKING FINE. The ones on the bottom left of the Playfield are not. I tested all those lamps in their sockets with the 9V and they work. Just out of curiosity, I ran a long wire from the top White/Brown lines to a single bottom light and yes, it worked that way. But, since that's not the way it's supposed to go, that got taken off. On Wednesday, I will test continuity on those bottom lights, with the Bottom String of White/Brown wires and see what's up.

I truly hope I have not put any of you in therapy or given you a nervous twitch when thinking of pinball in the last week or so. but with this old dog, it takes a while to learn new ways of doing things. sometimes the old ways are tough to unlearn, even beaten over the head multiple times, and anxiety at the fear of making a mistake doesn't help .. Currently scouring the internet for knowledge in this down time. we'll see what's found. Also glad all the switches are finally working and finished.

#3198 1 year ago

I will leave you with this meditative image from my new mavic pro 3, facing NYC waaay off south.

DJI_0003.MP4_snapshot_03.10.048 (resized).jpgDJI_0003.MP4_snapshot_03.10.048 (resized).jpg
1 week later
#3199 1 year ago

considering my birthday is on halloween, a little sad video.... make of it what you will. but it does make me wonder.

There will be good progress to report hopefully soon. but if that gets done, I'm taking a break till december or january.

1 week later
#3200 1 year ago

URGENT ALERT. THE GREMLIN HAS BEEN TRACKED OWN AND DESTROYED! YOU CAN REST EASY NOW, SOLDIER!

OK. So. We found the problem for light #16. The Wire just circled back in on itself. it wasn't connected to the main matrix and that is why it wasn't working.
After that, it was figuring out the single lamp test issue.

I KNEW the Diodes where right. I KNEW the red wire was going to the proper prong. I KNEW the lights worked with the 9V Battery test.
There WAS one last thing I hadn't tried, however.

Took off the House PCB. Heated up the Old Soldering Iron... just in CASE the solder was touching on the pin connector.....and I didn't think they where.....I removed all the solder on the bottom of the PCB pins.

BAM. THAT fixed the PCB multi light up issue.

Then it was discovered that a burnt looking pin was the problem with the lamp sockets. I had ordered 5 new lamp sockets from Action Pinball, to replace the Flasher I accidentally put in where a CI should have been. When THAT worked with one, I used the other 4 new ones on the remaining sockets. Boom. THOSE worked, and thankfully AP has the diode pre soldered in, so you know it's right.

Ordered about 14 more spares and light Nirvana reached.

So, to sum it up. Switches all work. General Illumination All Works. Controlled Lights all light up in single lamp mode like they are supposed too, and THAT all works.

I am taking a month long break in November, maybe December, and then we will plow our way through the rest. starting with the scary sounding part, the Solenoids. MAYBE we can get this frigger working by February, and everyone can earn a well deserved rest.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 35.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
$ 26.99
Playfield - Other
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.99
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

There are 5,470 posts in this topic. You are on page 64 of 110.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/addams-family-scratch-build/page/64 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.