20240418_151930 (resized).jpg
20240418_142010 (resized).jpg
438922685_10161016172280211_6004500180515248965_n (resized).jpg
438935641_10161016172310211_884505193556236161_n (resized).jpg
439014279_10161016172265211_7954450884413445341_n (resized).jpg
20240418_131921 (1) (resized).jpg
20240418_131941 (resized).jpg
20240418_131950 (resized).jpg
There are 5,461 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 110.
#201 4 years ago

4k? Doesn't that vpin place sell a flat pack for $99? The rest of the odds and ends can't be more than $200, and I'm stretching to say it would cost that much. I picked up a used sys 11 head with parts that could sub into a wpc for $20.
This has to be sarcasm

#202 4 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

Loose wires become a mess quickly - not as easy as it sounds. Possible - sure. Def less $$ if not replicating color coded wires per original but extra work and diligence. Fun? Probably not too much.

Bundle them as you go. Zip tie the finished wiring, use stand offs with wire holders. Include wiring tags before the connectors. Write out your tags before wiring so you aren't trying to remember the tag->component mapping in the middle of the work.
I tend to be pathologically disorganized, so I recognize the problem and build work habits around it.

#203 4 years ago
Quoted from ThatOneDude:

4k? Doesn't that vpin place sell a flat pack for $99? The rest of the odds and ends can't be more than $200, and I'm stretching to say it would cost that much. I picked up a used sys 11 head with parts that could sub into a wpc for $20.
This has to be sarcasm

Maybe he is including $3700 in power tools?

#204 4 years ago
Quoted from Williampinball:

Sweet did you get all 5 of them

With Proper colors no less .

Really hoping to get the playfield this weekend...and some more parts in february, including the transformer.

#205 4 years ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

With Proper colors no less .
Really hoping to get the playfield this weekend...and some more parts in february, including the transformer.

Sweet bud your doing everything very well ,hope the best can't wait too see it going together

#206 4 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

I'd guess more like $12k. You can't put a price on the satisfaction of completing something like this though. I think he'll succeed.

It’s going to cost a lot more than $12k

#207 4 years ago

Now that my conscience is clear and I have warned you about losing your shirt on this insane endeavor, I feel like I can fully enjoy the glory of this thread. Thank you for attempting such an insane project in public.......why am I thanking you, because we have all thought about it, but didn’t have the balls (pinballs) to do it! This thread should be epic!! Please post as many picture as possible! I am already hooked!

#208 4 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

Now that my conscience is clear and I have warned you about losing your shirt on this insane endeavor, I feel like I can fully enjoy the glory of this thread. Thank you for attempting such an insane project in public.......why am I thanking you, because we have all thought about it, but didn’t have the balls (pinballs) to do it! This thread should be epic!! Please post as many picture as possible! I am already hooked!

My hat too him as I am very good at restoring pins for inside too outside but I don't think I would try this hope this goes well

#209 4 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

Only if it gets completed, and I don't have a project with about 1/3rd the parts sitting around, with a rather complete looking outer facade but nothing on the inside

hell, I love the game so much even that would be cool to have ;o).

#210 4 years ago

With around 4k I would certainly expect more than some cheap wooden box.. I would start with dried and cured Wisconsin maple, and milled oak, chrome, nickel plate everything, make all custom hardware (that can't be bought from your favorite vendors) make a custom stainless mirror for the oak light board, dye mil spec wire to have appropriate traces and colors, give it a paint job to die for, buff and polish everything till it shines just like the hood of a new Ferrari, and screenprint the back, But that's just me, and certainly would start with a reference machine, sorry for bad pics, I am new here and dont quite have a grasp on that yet...Btw, I am a girl. (Wink)
Screenshot_20191221-235006_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20191221-235006_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20191221-235025_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20191221-235025_Gallery (resized).jpg

#211 4 years ago
Quoted from Passave:

With around 4k I would certainly expect more than some cheap wooden box.. I would start with dried and cured Wisconsin maple, and milled oak, chrome, nickel plate everything, make all custom hardware (that can't be bought from your favorite vendors) make a custom stainless mirror for the oak light board, dye mil spec wire to have appropriate traces and colors, give it a paint job to die for, buff and polish everything till it shines just like the hood of a new Farri, and screenprint the back, But that's just me, and certainly would start with a reference machine, sorry for bad pics, I am new here and dont quite have a grasp on that yet...Btw, I am a girl. (Wink)
[quoted image][quoted image]

Wow your really going all out ,this must be your best game you like a lot

#212 4 years ago
Quoted from Passave:

With around 4k I would certainly expect more than some cheap wooden box.. I would start with dried and cured Wisconsin maple, and milled oak, chrome, nickel plate everything, make all custom hardware (that can't be bought from your favorite vendors) make a custom stainless mirror for the oak light board, dye mil spec wire to have appropriate traces and colors, give it a paint job to die for, buff and polish everything till it shines just like the hood of a new Ferrari, and screenprint the back, But that's just me, and certainly would start with a reference machine, sorry for bad pics, I am new here and dont quite have a grasp on that yet...Btw, I am a girl. (Wink)
[quoted image][quoted image]

Are you sure that putting a backplane on the light board isn't going to cause problems and short out all the lights? I'm thinking that's what may happen if you staple both legs of each lamp socket to it. I don't think I've seen anyone use a backplane on the light board before.

Also, that open electrical panel in the background looks a little concerning.

Otherwise, the backbox looks pretty nice

#213 4 years ago
Quoted from Passave:

Btw, I am a girl

My apologies for an unwarranted assumption.
That's an impressive backbox. You should create a thread for your work.

#214 4 years ago

ForceFlow, clever, not many people would draw that conclusion from that mirror, it is stainless however, and with the high carbon content is actually a poor conductor and the IDC connectors were changed over to solder lugs just to combat that problem, (all is good)....This is not about me however, point is I just didn't want to see the OP get any false hopes on building a cheap dream machine a piece at a time. They are very precise expensive and require a lot of different skill sets.

#215 4 years ago

When the new pf turns up the first job will most likely be to hammer in the t nuts, but there are usually 2 different sizes so will need to use the correct t nut in the correct hole Which might be hard without a ref. Hopefully some one can say what goes where.

#216 4 years ago
Quoted from russdx:

When the new pf turns up the first job will most likely be to hammer in the t nuts, but there are usually 2 different sizes so will need to use the correct t nut in the correct hole Which might be hard without a ref. Hopefully some one can say what goes where.

Yep, one of the first videos I saw, that was the first thing they did. So that'll at least be the first thing I do

And to the other poster, don't worry, I know this won't be cheap .

#217 4 years ago

I don’t think Adams uses braid GI so that’s one step you can skip

#218 4 years ago
Quoted from russdx:

I don’t think Adams uses braid GI so that’s one step you can skip

That's a ground strap, All machines need that... The GI is dyed 600v mil spec.

Screenshot_20191218-161512_Gallery (resized).jpgScreenshot_20191218-161512_Gallery (resized).jpg
#219 4 years ago
Quoted from Passave:

That's a ground strap, All machines need that... The GI is dyed 600v mil spec.[quoted image]

You really need your own thread to showcase this build...It looks great

#220 4 years ago

The clear pop bumper is the one thats cut off to fit.

#221 4 years ago

The third step is to find someone close to you that owns a TAF and doesn't mind to have the hood popped for pics. No matter how many photos that you see on line, there will come a point where you have to check out one, close up. When visiting this person always bring a case of beer or a bottle of spirits or a dozen shiny pinballs or equivalent.
Wally

#222 4 years ago

here is a hot ridded pins TAF with a few photos of the finished game - good to add to the collection for your project

http://hotroddedpins.com/examples-1#/addams-family-black-2012

#223 4 years ago

also here is a guy doing a 7 part restoration of TAF, though I doubt he should drilling out some of those holes in the playfield - double check here when you get to that stage.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrZB72rsf672laK0DLzAFbg

#224 4 years ago
Quoted from Passave:

That's a ground strap, All machines need that... The GI is dyed 600v mil spec.[quoted image]

This machine your building will be one of a kind for sure you should open up a new tread for what your doing and keep the pics coming for sure and great job keep up the great work

#225 4 years ago

I good donor gAme just popped up in market

#226 4 years ago
Quoted from Electronmagic:

Besides decals, what other choice would he have?

Make a mask and paint it. It would look a lot better.

#227 4 years ago

If I where to buy a Rotisserie, how much are they and what is a good place to go too?

#228 4 years ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

If I where to buy a Rotisserie, how much are they and what is a good place to go too?

Just build one out of pipe.

Vid's quick and dirty guide thread.

Its easy and inexpensive.

I built 2 of them.

#229 4 years ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

I bought one like this off ebay and sold it when I was done. Ended up out about $50 for "renting" it for 6 months.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/77-PINTIS

#231 4 years ago

building one does seem like a cheaper solution . i'll add that to the list when the time comes

#232 4 years ago

I built skypilots and am still using it.. another option although it takes a bit more footprint

#234 4 years ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

building one does seem like a cheaper solution . i'll add that to the list when the time comes

Have you got anything else coming in as for parts u need

#235 4 years ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

Just borrow one from a local Pinsider near you. It would help if you have your location on your user name too. My rotisserie was out on loan for about 2 years to a local Pinsider and just came back. I now need to do 2 playfield swaps before it is available to be loaned out again. I am sure you have someone local to you that can loan theirs out.

#236 4 years ago

Mirrored backglass ... yay

Stupid computer issues set the playfield ordering back a week or two. hoping that is next.

81358624_10157560171330211_2074212356333764608_o (resized).jpg81358624_10157560171330211_2074212356333764608_o (resized).jpg
#237 4 years ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

Mirrored backglass ... yay
Stupid computer issues set the playfield ordering back a week or two. hoping that is next.[quoted image]

1 or 2 more parts and your done

#238 4 years ago
Quoted from russdx:

1 or 2 more parts and your done

shouldn't cost more than $200's a piece... I'll be playing pinball by the weekend!

#239 4 years ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

shouldn't cost more than $200's a piece... I'll be playing pinball by the weekend!

So, have you started sourcing wire for your harness?

#240 4 years ago
Quoted from ryanbrooks:

So, have you started sourcing wire for your harness?

Not yet.

The wiring will be the last peices I'll worry about.

I want to get the playfield first by end of January.

February will see order of transformer, Color DMD, THING speaker panel, Complete Plastics Set...Thing Hand and Bear Ramp.

after that, we'll have to see what is available left. probably some scoops, chair bracket...chair..etc.

#241 4 years ago

I still think your crazy. You need to at least start with an used wired Addams playfield or someone out there who parted one out years ago and you can just purchase the box of playfield parts.

#242 4 years ago
Quoted from Tommy-dog:

I still think your crazy. You need to at least start with an used wired Addams playfield or someone out there who parted one out years ago and you can just purchase the box of playfield parts.

Agreed, plus 2 used wiring harnesses, most definitely

#243 4 years ago

This thread is sad. This poor guy won't listen to reason, and is going to dump a ton of money into this only to end up with a pile of parts that he will never get his money back on.

Just stop now and buy a nice used Addams.

#244 4 years ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

Not yet.
The wiring will be the last peices I'll worry about.
I want to get the playfield first by end of January.
February will see order of transformer, Color DMD, THING speaker panel, Complete Plastics Set...Thing Hand and Bear Ramp.
after that, we'll have to see what is available left. probably some scoops, chair bracket...chair..etc.

What playfield are you ordering? A Mirco? Or a CPR Silver/Bronze? I've thought about selling my CPR Gold, but I'd probably regret it someday.

#245 4 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

What playfield are you ordering? A Mirco? Or a CPR Silver/Bronze? I've thought about selling my CPR Gold, but I'd probably regret it someday.

Both have their own set of issues. I have a friend who does restoration swaps for a living and he actually tells people he charges extra for CPR swaps. a friendly suggestion, if you plan on keeping it then send it to HEP to get properly drilled and nutted. And personally if I was going to do that step I'd have him clear coat it as well but only if I WAS SURE it would eventually be used because you'll likely never get your investment back out of it as a barren playfield.

#246 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

Both have their own set of issues. I have a friend who does restoration swaps for a living and he actually tells people he charges extra for CPR swaps. a friendly suggestion, if you plan on keeping it then send it to HEP to get properly drilled and nutted. And personally if I was going to do that step I'd have him clear coat it as well but only if I WAS SURE it would eventually be used because you'll likely never get your investment back out of it as a barren playfield.

I'd leave that up to the buyer if I sold it. I had 2. Sold one last March for $952 shipped, which was pretty much exactly what I paid for it after shipping costs.

I thought HEP said he wasn't doing playfields anymore in the WH20 thread. I was thinking Kruzman if I was planning to use it.

#247 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

Both have their own set of issues. ... to get properly drilled and nutted.

This is true of most if not all reproduction playfields. The dimples are never 100% correct and usually a lot of holes are missing. If you use the reproduction playfield as is with the incorrect/shifted dimple holes, the game will not play correctly.

#248 4 years ago
Quoted from CLEllison:

Unless Otherwise I shouldn't, I was going to go with the middle option, Silver.
https://classicplayfields.com/shop/pinball-playfields/taf/

The only other one was a $1,000 marco specialties, IIRC...

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/36-20017

obviously more expensive. I think there was a $1,000 option floating around out there too..but If I can save $300's..again, is there any reason I shouldn't get the CPR one?

#249 4 years ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

Unless Otherwise I shouldn't, I was going to go with the middle option, Silver.
https://classicplayfields.com/shop/pinball-playfields/taf/
The only other one was a $1,000 marco specialties, IIRC...
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/36-20017
obviously more expensive. I think there was a $1,000 option floating around out there too..but If I can save $300's..again, is there any reason I shouldn't get the CPR one?

CPR would be fine. I've installed a couple of them and unlike what some say here about missing holes, etc., I can't remember having any issues.

#250 4 years ago

Used wire is a bad idea, Those IDCs not only displaced (cut) the insulation but also compromised strands of the wire making it quite unreliable even as new.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 35.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 35.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
$ 26.99
Playfield - Other
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.99
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

There are 5,461 posts in this topic. You are on page 5 of 110.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/addams-family-scratch-build/page/5?hl=pinless and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.