20240418_131950 (resized).jpg
20240418_131748 (resized).jpg
20240418_132024 (resized).jpg
20240418_125859 (resized).jpg
20240418_130201 (resized).jpg
20240418_121801 (resized).jpg
20240418_121545 (resized).jpg
20240418_121351 (resized).jpg
There are 5,458 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 110.
#1251 3 years ago
Quoted from pinballinreno:

The only way is to attach the rear mounts and front hangers and see how it sets.
Make adjustments to the hangers as needed.
I also add black plastic washers to the pivots for both the head and the playfield to keep them centered so they dont scrape.
Getting these is mandatory so you font scrape up the cabinet during installation:
https://www.pinballlife.com/interior-cabinet-protector-blade-set.html

I think what he's going to need are measurements for the pivot bolts and nuts. Paul doesn't drill those holes. I have an empty TAF cabinet I take take those off of, if need be. Not sure how you'd determine where those go otherwise.

#1252 3 years ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

what do I need to make sure it's stable in there? I was toying around with doing this next, just to make it look a little more complete, but figured it was too soon.

You'll have to drill the sides of your cabinet for the bolts that hold the playfield in. You'll probably also have to drill holes in the top of the backbox for the cloud topper lights.

#1253 3 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I think what he's going to need are measurements for the pivot bolts and nuts. Paul doesn't drill those holes. I have an empty TAF cabinet I take take those off of, if need be. Not sure how you'd determine where those go otherwise.

Whoops. Didn't see your response that said the same...

#1254 3 years ago

Getting these is mandatory so you font scrape up the cabinet during installation:

https://www.pinballlife.com/interior-cabinet-protector-blade-set.html

Construction paper works just as well and is quite a bit cheaper.

#1255 3 years ago
Quoted from loneacer:

You'll have to drill the sides of your cabinet for the bolts that hold the playfield in. You'll probably also have to drill holes in the top of the backbox for the cloud topper lights.

does anything hold the cloud topper in, or does it just sit on top?

#1256 3 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Hi Bryan! Since so many restorers have different ways to go about things, e.g., guys like Chris (HEP) make adjustments to the OEM location, there's no 'right' way to pre-drill them. Imagine if they were in the 'wrong' spot. Ugh. Not what I want for either party. I can provide those hole locations, also, if needed. They aren't always the same from machine to machine either, making it more difficult at times. LOL

For the backbox GI board hinge, some guys like to raise them up a bit, so it doesn't hit their ColorDMD screens.

Quoted from loneacer:

He purchased a TAF cabinet, so the topper holes are already done. Same with WH2O, JD, etc.

#1257 3 years ago

I forgot to mention, we do GI boards, too. I have a TAF in stock, along with WH2O and TZ.

Some things I just haven't listed yet, as I don't feel right about adding more offerings, until we're caught up.

#1258 3 years ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

does anything hold the cloud topper in, or does it just sit on top?

I'm going to pretend you didn't ask if it just sits on top.

This is what's normally used but you could use any kind of screw.

https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/237-5947-00

#1259 3 years ago
Quoted from NoahFentz:

Hi Bryan! Since so many restorers have different ways to go about things, e.g., guys like Chris (HEP) make adjustments to the OEM location, there's no 'right' way to pre-drill them. Imagine if they were in the 'wrong' spot. Ugh. Not what I want for either party. I can provide those hole locations, also, if needed. They aren't always the same from machine to machine either, making it more difficult at times. LOL

Completely understand but if Shredder doesn't have an old cabinet to go by, he'd have no clue where to begin.

#1260 3 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I completely forgot that he would have to drill a couple holes.

Thanks!

An original cabinet measurement for the playfield pivots would definitely work.

The backbox hinge holes can easily be traced from an installed hinge.

Maybe set the hinges 1/8" out towards the edge from the factory location.

#1261 3 years ago
Quoted from NoahFentz:

He purchased a TAF cabinet, so the topper holes are already done. Same with WH2O, JD, etc.

Ok. I bought my TAF cabinet from you in 2015 and I had to drill the topper holes in mine.

#1262 3 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

Completely understand but if Shredder doesn't have an old cabinet to go by, he'd have no clue where to begin.

Totally with you on that. I was suggesting we both measure and compare notes.

Quoted from loneacer:

Ok. I bought my TAF cabinet from you in 2015 and I had to drill the topper holes in mine.

Our product has evolved and improved a lot since then. I'm thankful this hobby has awesome people that provide really helpful feedback. These cabs are really quite complete now, aside from the holes we've discussed. There was a time we didn't even do internal blocking. Now, it's all there.

#1263 3 years ago
Quoted from Bryan_Kelly:

I'm going to pretend you didn't ask if it just sits on top.
This is what's normally used but you could use any kind of screw.
https://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/237-5947-00

considering that toppers where probably the first to be lost or 'misplaced' at local arcades? They could have been held in by glue ;o).

I remember seeing a Topper on Turtles in Time that was huge when the game first hit, but then vanished everywhere shortly after .

Honestly, I would have thought that getting the playfield to fit on the swinging hinge would be the last thing to do. after all, you've got to take it back out to finish working on it.

#1264 3 years ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

Honestly, I would have thought that getting the playfield to fit on the swinging hinge would be the last thing to do. after all, you've got to take it back out to finish working on it.

Theres a little bit to it.

You want it to sit flat on the lockdown receiver and not scrape the sides when lifted for maintenance.

You also want it to lift "square" with the cabinet.

Otherwise the rear will scrape when it goes down inside.

Its way easier to check the fit with a blank playfield.

You might want to remove a bunch of stuff off your playfield to make it easier to work on the cabinet.

You will know a lot more when you get into it.

I spent a week getting a beat up Doctor Who playfield and cabinet to behave lol.

Its one of those things that seems simple on paper, but really annoying when it goes wrong.

#1265 3 years ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

considering that toppers where probably the first to be lost or 'misplaced' at local arcades? They could have been held in by glue ;o).
I remember seeing a Topper on Turtles in Time that was huge when the game first hit, but then vanished everywhere shortly after .

True.... but it would be easier to fit it while it’s slightly lighter vs complete and fully populated.

#1266 3 years ago
Quoted from NoahFentz:

We do any speaker panel you'd like.

NoahFentz This is fantastic!!!!! Thanks!

#1267 3 years ago
Quoted from Mbecker:

True.... but it would be easier to fit it while it’s slightly lighter vs complete and fully populated.

I would imagine a pulley system would help? Ive never done it, but thats how ive seen people pull play fields out, pulley system, then lower the cabinet with a lift table.

#1268 3 years ago

*drum Solo and trumpets*
Da da da DAAAAAA!

Dum du du dum da da dum da da da...

thank you paul . one day, whenever it gets to it's first fire up, it will be loved for years to come .

110015334_10158233642270211_6975315150384295972_n (resized).jpg110015334_10158233642270211_6975315150384295972_n (resized).jpg114248509_10158233677120211_6067548960298094334_o (resized).jpg114248509_10158233677120211_6067548960298094334_o (resized).jpg
#1269 3 years ago

I don’t know how everyone else does it, but I prefer to get the bottom 100% finished outside of the cabinet and then drop the game in and work on the top inside the cabinet. I don’t have a rotisserie though so that probably explains that.

#1270 3 years ago
Quoted from Jmckune:

I don’t know how everyone else does it, but I prefer to get the bottom 100% finished outside of the cabinet and then drop the game in and work on the top inside the cabinet. I don’t have a rotisserie though so that probably explains that.

I can understand working that way though. even if you have to clean up the bottom of the cabinet from any drilling

#1271 3 years ago

First issue of learning:

How to install a translite.

Step 1 - look up how to remove glass.

Step 2- realize you don't need to keep the original glass and that is where the translite goes.

Step 3- forget about thinking you need extra parts and install translite .,

baby steps here folks. I include the goof ups!

#1272 3 years ago

well, notice how I said we'd include screw ups?

my first in 5 months.

The plastic pieces came off the included glass easily. but for whatever reason would not go on the new glass. I thought maybe LIGHTLY tapping them with a screw driver on would get them in place. it worked with the top one. but the side? well, i'm ordering a new piece.

do they make these in plastic? :L)

114712282_10158233999860211_2162390880906410604_n (resized).jpg114712282_10158233999860211_2162390880906410604_n (resized).jpg
#1273 3 years ago

YIKES !

Quoted from Shredder565:

well, notice how I said we'd include screw ups?
my first in 5 months.
The plastic pieces came off the included glass easily. but for whatever reason would not go on the new glass. I thought maybe LIGHTLY tapping them with a screw driver on would get them in place. it worked with the top one. but the side? well, i'm ordering a new piece.
do they make these in plastic? :L)[quoted image]

#1274 3 years ago

That needs to go in the pinball horror pictures thread. Damn sorry to see it. At least it is widely available.

#1275 3 years ago

Bummer. Yeah the screen printed back glass is thicker than standard glass + translite film... so the standard trim doesn’t fit well

... but you already figured that out.

Sorry man... that’s a chunk of change.

You’ve got a great spirit!!!

#1276 3 years ago

Great example of tempered glass being susceptible to breaking when hit along its edges. You can hit the front with a hammer and likely not break it (don’t test this, just YouTube it), but a light tap on its edge and it explodes. Tempered glass is under high tensile stress along its edges.

#1277 3 years ago
Quoted from Ricochet:

Bummer. Yeah the screen printed back glass is thicker than standard glass + translite film... so the standard trim doesn’t fit well
... but you already figured that out.
Sorry man... that’s a chunk of change.
You’ve got a great spirit!!!

All I could do was laugh it off after the initial oh fudge moment!

I honestly thought I was doing it wrong somehow, as it fit on so easily and it looked the same width..

#1278 3 years ago
Quoted from shirkle:

Great example of tempered glass being susceptible to breaking when hit along its edges. You can hit the front with a hammer and likely not break it (don’t test this, just YouTube it), but a light tap on its edge and it explodes. Tempered glass is under high tensile stress along its edges.

Adding onto my tempered glass post to avoid any other smashes......
Don’t stand the playfield glass on a concrete floor. Sometimes just placing it lightly on its edge on the concrete will break it. It’s rare, but better safe than sorry. I always put mine on either a towel, or in a carpeted room.

#1279 3 years ago
Quoted from shirkle:

Don’t stand the playfield glass on a concrete floor. Sometimes just placing it lightly on its edge on the concrete will break it. It’s rare, but better safe than sorry. I always put mine on either a towel, or in a carpeted room.

Quoted from shirkle:

in this case, I had it on the wood bench.

So, whenever I get around to ordering a new one in late august....what edges do I need that will fit?

#1280 3 years ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

in this case, I had it on the wood bench.
So, whenever I get around to ordering a new one in late august....what edges do I need that will fit?

For printed backglass you only need the lift trim at the bottom.

If its CPR glass, get rhe 1/8" black plastic lift trim.

Measure the glass for lengrh. Like 27 or 27.5"

Glass trim cones in I/8" or 3/16" size depending on the glass thickness.

If loose use friction tape to hold it.

A 2" long piece in the center and at each end of the lift trim.

The sides and top plastics were to hold the translite on. You don't need them, unless you go back to a translite and clear glass.

Don't use metal tools on the glass it will explode.

I use wood blocks and a plastic hammer.

#1281 3 years ago

The sides and top plastics were to hold the translite on. You don't need them, unless you go back to a translite and clear glass.

you know, I was wondering about that...and figured I could try to fit it in without them. but I didn't want it to fall and break. irony

#1283 3 years ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

you know, I was wondering about that...and figured I could try to fit it in without them. but I didn't want it to fall and break. irony

Cosmetically the plastic adds a "framed" look, but i honestly think that it subtracts from the art.

Earlier games with inked glass only use a metal lift channel.

That said, TAF came with a translite and black trim all around.

So for a "pure" look, i guess people put trim on printed glass though its not needed.

My personal preference is to only use the bottom lift channel. I think it looks better, but maybe thats just me.

On my funhouse CPR glass, the cabinet is blue. I thought the black frame looked out of place.

On my Diner CPR glass, the trim looked ok but removing the trim made tbe glass look bigger and more impressive.

#1284 3 years ago

Cosmetically the plastic adds a "framed" look, but i honestly think that it subtracts from the art.
That said, TAF came with a translite and black trim all around.
So for a "pure" look, i guess people put trim on printed glass though its not needed.

damn. guess I should have taken the chance considering and saved myself $250 heh.

Well, with that public saftey out of the way..anything I should worry about trying to put the legs on to prevent future disasters?

#1285 3 years ago

Ya, I would recommend steel leg plates or your art will buckle...Sorry about that glass man, thats a bad day...

#1286 3 years ago
Quoted from Passave:

Ya, I would recommend steel leg plates or your art will buckle...Sorry about that glass man, thats a bad day...

My VirtuaPin cabinet came with those, but I think they were an add-on at the time.

#1287 3 years ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

damn. guess I should have taken the chance considering and saved myself $250 heh.
Well, with that public saftey out of the way..anything I should worry about trying to put the legs on to prevent future disasters?

Dont put the legs on without these:

https://www.pinballlife.com/metal-cabinet-protectors-set-of-4.html

Once they are on and fit properly, cut through the decal around them with a single edge razor blade or xacto knife.

You dont cut deep, just thru the decal.

Use tightened leg bolts to install and align them. They should not rest on the bolts, but be slightly above them.

If you strip the little screws out, put a piece of bamboo skewer or toothpick with a little titebond 3 in the hole and go again.

Put a drop of oil on the leg bolts when installing for the first time, DONT cross thread them.

Test the bolts before installing plates or legs. Run them thru a couple times.

I use a 8" hand ratchet wrench with a 5/8" socket for the first time. I hand set the bolts to the right torque, basically 1/4 to 1/2 turn after the bolt stops, you dont want to hear wood cracking or splitting too much.

Tighten again in a week or 2.

Powered impact wrenches tend to cross thread and strip.

#1288 3 years ago

looks like i've got my first set of buys in august.

#1289 3 years ago

looking up some YT videos...

looks like to fit the thing into the cabinet..I'll need
-two side rotators, one bottom latch on the playfield, one latch on the cabinet in the front...at least.

#1290 3 years ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

looking up some YT videos...
looks like to fit the thing into the cabinet..I'll need
-two side rotators, one bottom latch on the playfield, one latch on the cabinet in the front...at least.

The playfield mounts?

2 carriage bolts with washers
2 pivot nuts
Left and right playfield holder/brackets

2 front "Z" hangers

Drill tbe holes in the right place with the right drill bit.

Get hole locations from Bryan Kelly

#1291 3 years ago

Man, urge to buy again building. must maintain control for a few weeks ;o)

#1293 3 years ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

The Shopping list for late August
https://www.pinballlife.com/metal-cabinet-protectors-set-of-4.html
https://www.pinballlife.com/backglass-lift-channel-for-williams-system-11.html
2 carriage bolts with washers
2 pivot nuts
Left and right playfield holder/brackets
2 front "Z" hangers
amazon.com link »

I wouldnt necessarily get that rivet tool.

The hanson manual one, the tonka one and the pinrestore press are the ones i use.

I mostly use the Hanson one:

https://www.erivet.com/product_detail.cfm?itemNbr=HT-174

Its helpful to chuck a huge allen wrench in a vise, to use the bottom to hammer against as a dog or dolly.

I found a rusty 3/4" one at the flea market, works pretty good.

But any chunk of squarish metal that fits inside ramps will work.

A 6" piece of 3/4" or 1" steel bar stock is ideal.

#1295 3 years ago
Quoted from bssbllr:

That’s the one I use.

I find i have most control with the hanson hand clincher.

But it takes 2 people to hold a ramp for flaps.

This is where the tonka and press come in.

The tonka is a little weird to use but after a couple tries it works very well. Its especually good for tight places.

#1296 3 years ago

I sent you a PM 3 months ago "Saw your thread on the scratch build Addams. I have my playfield on a rotisserie while I restore the machine, if you need a picture of anything feel free to ask or text." Could have save you a lot of question posting. Playfield is now in the game but I do have a rivet press your free to use. I'm only 35 minutes from Hanover.

PRESS (resized).jpegPRESS (resized).jpeg
#1297 3 years ago

I find i have most control with the hanson hand clincher.
But it takes 2 people to hold a ramp for flaps.
This is where the tonka and press come in.
The tonka is a little weird to use but after a couple tries it works very well. Its especually good for tight places.

Haven’t used on the ramp flaps but did replace some targets and worked well.

#1298 3 years ago

given the current situation, traveling places to use things or sending things out isn't desired at this time ;o).

as for rivets...

I thought the hand one would be easiest for one person to use?

#1299 3 years ago
Quoted from Shredder565:

given the current situation, traveling places to use things or sending things out isn't desired at this time ;o).
as for rivets...
I thought the hand one would be easiest for one person to use?

The problem is getting it to fit in where you want to use it.

A lot of areas are tight. In fact the $300 rivet press won't work over half the time.

The Hanson always works but, you have to back it up with a metal post or anvil or someting not wooden.

This is where the tonka comes in.

No need for a press, anvil or backer post.

I have all 3 setups but use the Hanson the most.

Often i put a head die in my vise as a backer.

#1300 3 years ago

I find that a 1" square post chucked into my vise is very handy.

Use for rivets and pounding out ball dents in scoop assemblies.

When i lived in my apartment i used the wrought iron fence railing a lot!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 29.99
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 35.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 35.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

$ 45.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 26.99
Playfield - Other
Lee's Parts

$ 180.00
$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

9,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

There are 5,458 posts in this topic. You are on page 26 of 110.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/addams-family-scratch-build/page/26?hl=sk8ersublime and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.