“What Version is the Best to use?”

• L-3 GOLD 16 votes
    57%
  • L-5 Standard 12 votes
    43%

(28 votes)

#1 9 years ago

Hey Everyone!
Not sure if this is the place to ask, or if this even is allowed to ask. But I'm in the process of getting my very first pinball machine, The Addams Family, and I can't wait. In the mean time I've been doing some research and looks like there are several rom revisions. I first stumbled upon this on eBay where people are selling EPROM's with the ROMs on them. What's weird is I see someone list the L-3 as the latest version and another seller listing the L-5 as the latest.

So which one is the latest? The only difference between the two I can tell from the listing, is that the L-3 seller say "Addams Family GOLD" in his description, so it seems obvious thats the difference. That the L-3 may be the latest revision of the GOLD machine, and the L-5 latest for standard. But I'm completely new to this so I didn't just want to assume. Also I saw mentioned on the listings, that the ROM is written to a 4Mbit eprom. If I was to do the write code myself to a ERPOM, what chip should I get for this as well as the sound chips?

And my last question is, which version is better to use and why? the GOLD L-3 or Standard L-5?

Thanks everyone!!
~John

#2 9 years ago

According to ipdb, L-3 is indeed the latest Gold edition, and L-7 is the latest standard edition. Here you can see the revision history for each:

http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/20/Bally_1992_The_Addams_Family_Game_ROM_History.txt

http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/21/Bally_1994_The_Addams_Family_Special_Collectors_Edition_Game_ROM_History.txt

#3 9 years ago

The gold edition adds more gameplay features and modes to it and can be used on the standard pin as well. Great pin and congrats on your first purchase. It's a good one. I heard of the L3 version (which is the one I have) and I never heard of the other one, but I could be wrong.

#5 9 years ago

Thanks for the replies! Looking at the ipdb standard link, looks like L-5 is on there twice, theres a L-5 version made 2 months after the L-7 version, but looks like it removes "HOME" setting, what ever that is.

#6 9 years ago

pm sent

#7 9 years ago

I have tried both, don't get the gold, I like the original much better.

Search/Google the differences, and decide for yourself.

#8 9 years ago

I have been Googling around for a little bit here, and maybe this is a stupid question.

Where could I purchase an H4 Rom for Addams Family?

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from robbiedoo:

I have been Googling around for a little bit here, and maybe this is a stupid question.
Where could I purchase an H4 Rom for Addams Family?

http://www.thatpinballplace.com/eproms/wpc.html

Scroll down to the 'T' games...

#10 9 years ago

Gold rom sucks for competitive play. It gives random "cousin it" awards at the chair that completely unbalance a perfect game. Unfortunately you can't turn them off. It'd be nice to see someone make a hack for the gold roms that keeps the additional speech but loses these awards.

#11 9 years ago

Why dosen't it have a ball save??? My wife hates to play it just because of that...
She would really be pissed if she had to put money in it..

#12 9 years ago

I like the Gold. I enjoy the extra features and since I don't play against anyone but myself, the random prizes aren't an issue.

#13 9 years ago

I didn't play the Gold growing up so didn't want to change it. I am currently running L-5 with the LED fix.

#14 9 years ago

http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/21/Bally_1994_The_Addams_Family_Special_Collectors_Edition_Differences_between_TAF_and_TAFG.txt

>> Changes in game play

Cousin Its Hideout: When given a Mansion Room award, you will
sometimes also achieve Cousin Its Hideout (1-4 times per whole
mansion, operator adjustable).

The Hideout awards are (given in random order):
Cousin Its Hat (5M)
Cousin Its Hair Brush (5M)
Cousin Its Sunglasses (7M)
Cousin Its Car Keys (8M)
Cousin Its Hair Spray (10M)
Cousin Its Hair Dryer (15M)
Cousin Its Wristwatch (20M)
Cousin Its Gold Chain (25M)
Cousin Its Gold Pinball (light extra ball)
Cousin Its Bag of Gold (light special)

Wednesday and Pugsley's Secret Passage: When awarded the 3M Room
you will also get another random Room.

Super Seance: The Seance Room is sometimes replaced with Super
Seance, where each "knock" is worth 5M more than the usual Seance.

#15 9 years ago
Quoted from Honch:

I like the Gold. I enjoy the extra features and since I don't play against anyone but myself, the random prizes aren't an issue.

It's super annoying when you're in a heated match and someone gets the Cousin IT's gold chain and 25 million unearned points. There is zero skill in that achievement and it's 1/2 as many points as you get for a jackpot which takes considerably more skill.

#16 9 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

It's super annoying when you're in a heated match

I can't say that I ever get into heated matches. Besides, I like the luck of the draw, it works both ways.

#17 9 years ago

Hmm, thanks for all the input everyone. I was thinking about sticking standard, since that's what I grew up with. I never tried gold. If the EPROMS the same kinda chip I used to use when I made Super Nintendo reproductions of unreleased games, then I may already have the chips handy. I'll just try one way and swap the chip and try the next. If its just the 1 chip that needs to be swapped out (and the sound chips can work with either one) then I may just solder a easy lever release socket in the place of the eprom holder to swap them out.

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from JohnnyPhantom:

Hmm, thanks for all the input everyone. I was thinking about sticking standard, since that's what I grew up with. I never tried gold. If the EPROMS the same kinda chip I used to use when I made Super Nintendo reproductions of unreleased games, then I may already have the chips handy. I'll just try one way and swap the chip and try the next. If its just the 1 chip that needs to be swapped out (and the sound chips can work with either one) then I may just solder a easy lever release socket in the place of the eprom holder to swap them out.

no solder necessary, the eprom sockets are already socketed.

you can pt a zif socket into them and then use it's quick release.

The eproms are typically 27c040 style if that's what you have laying around, that and an eprom burner.

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from themadman:

no solder necessary, the eprom sockets are already socketed.
you can pt a zif socket into them and then use it's quick release.
The eproms are typically 27c040 style if that's what you have laying around, that and an eprom burner.

Perfect! thats exactly what I got. Thats what I meant, that I'd unsolder the socket and just put in a zif with a quick release

#20 9 years ago

Perfect! thats exactly what I got. Thats what I meant, that I'd unsolder the socket and just put in a zif with a quick release

You'd have space issues because of the other components on the board.

Just insert the ZIF into the ROM socket that's already on the board - that should also give you the height necessary to clear the surrounding components. And you're not subjecting the board to unnecessary heat, and if you ever wanted to return it to original condition all you'd have to do is pry off the ZIF.

Of course, I don't know anyone that changes the ROMs in their machine that often that they need a ZIF...

viperrwk

#21 9 years ago
Quoted from viperrwk:

You'd have space issues because of the other components on the board.
Just insert the ZIF into the ROM socket that's already on the board - that should also give you the height necessary to clear the surrounding components. And you're not subjecting the board to unnecessary heat, and if you ever wanted to return it to original condition all you'd have to do is pry off the ZIF.
Of course, I don't know anyone that changes the ROMs in their machine that often that they need a ZIF...
viperrwk

Yea, you're probably right, probably change it 2-3 times max, just enough to test gold vs standard.

#22 9 years ago

The gold roms can be fun and kooky(pun intended) but if you grew up on the standards, they'll leave a sour taste in your mouth. I speak from experience.

Then again, some people really like them.

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from Miguel351:

The gold roms can be fun and kooky(pun intended) but if you grew up on the standards, they'll leave a sour taste in your mouth. I speak from experience.
Then again, some people really like them.

Can you elaborate? Which do you prefer? Why?

#24 9 years ago

If its just the 1 chip that needs to be swapped out (and the sound chips can work with either one)

The sound chips from the gold roms will work with the standard roms but not vice versa. I believe theres an extra chip or two with the gold roms that contain the extra call outs.

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from Deez:

The sound chips from the gold roms will work with the standard roms but not vice versa. I believe theres an extra chip or two with the gold roms that contain the extra call outs.

Are you sure?

#26 9 years ago

I wasn't aware that a regular TAF ROM will work with TAFG sound roms. I don't think this is the case?

#27 9 years ago

Another vote for the standard ROM. The gold mansion awards just seem out of place.

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from johnwartjr:

I wasn't aware that a regular TAF ROM will work with TAFG sound roms. I don't think this is the case?

Works fine in my machine. YMMV.

#29 9 years ago
Quoted from leisure:

The gold mansion awards just seem out of place.

I'm surprised at how many people don't care for that feature.

#30 9 years ago

Whatever Jon Wart says will be the correct answer!

#31 9 years ago

I use the H4. Don't care for all that cousin it hideout crap

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Can you elaborate? Which do you prefer? Why?

I prefer the non-gold roms. I do like the "This is lunacy!" callout during multiball, as all hell is breaking loose with the Power magnets in play. It's quite fitting! But, the rest of the callouts are just a little too much for me. They're constantly going off in places they don't need to(like the "Not bad..." for the Million Plus ramp) and it just clutters up the game sonically. Then, there's all the free points from the hideout awards. Completely unnecessary. I think Bally did that just to give TAF more DMD animations to get it up to the level of the other games they were producing at the time.

And my best reason for not liking the gold roms: It's not the game I remember playing.

I'm happy playing the old stuff.

#33 9 years ago

Cangrats on one of the best games of all time!! My suggestion would be get both, roms are cheap enough to screw around with each set a bit and see which ones you prefer. The game your getting will most likely have standard roms in it unless the previous owner put gold in. Either way you will only need one set. As Pintucky mentioned John Wart is the guy to get them from. I played the standard roms a ton before I got my Addams, once I put the gold in the family preferred them much more as did I.

#34 9 years ago

Gold ROMs seem to be preferred somewhere around 8.

I've run both (don't have a TAF presently, but have had a couple), and the sounds and DMD animations are better on Gold.

A few hard core players do prefer the original ROMs, and that's fine, whatever floats your boat.

#35 9 years ago

I'm getting TAF soon - never thought about trying both.

The game I'm getting has gold ROMs/sound. If I want to try the non-gold, do I need to swap out tge sound chips too?

#36 9 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

If I want to try the non-gold, do I need to swap out tge sound chips too?

No,just a straight swap.I didn't like the gold rom.Those extra points is not a good look when talking high scores on TAF. It does add to the color dmd animations though.Plus,if I have 2 bad balls on 3 ball play,I like to do a quick restart.

4 weeks later
#37 9 years ago

I've been playing with the Gold Rom, and I kinda like it. I'm gonna play the standard soon and see what I like better. One thing I noticed is the "Buy in" option when playing a game, where it offers to add a ball, just press extra ball button, but theres no such button on TAF, I'm assuming you can turn this feature off.

#38 9 years ago

I'm assuming, if I play the gold version, and want to post my high score on this site, I post it under the gold editions page.

1 week later
#39 9 years ago

I've been playing both and I'm torn. I like gold for the extra sounds, the extra cousin it bonus points are... alright. The only issue I really have is that my machine is a TAF not a TAFG so when I post scores i do it on the TAFG side of the site and not TAF, and the machine being a TAF with a TAFG ROM feels kinda... dirty and unpure, almost like using a video game rom and emulator. It's not true to the system I feel. Sooooo do I go Gold for the Special Edition features, or keep it pure and lose some bonus cool sounds and animations. This is a tricky call... What I really need to do is get a TAFG machine and put it next to the TAF that way I can have balanced peace

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,159.00
$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

Cabinet Parts
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 27.99
Rubber/Silicone
Comet Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 320.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

9,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Rancho Cucamonga, CA
$ 29.99
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 159.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 180.00

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/addams-family-pinball-roms and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.