By balboarules

7 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 7 years ago

Hey guys

I have an Addams Family that for some reason is randomly rebooting, I have done all the pinwiki troubleshooting on the driver board, it has an after market cpu in it, but was rebooting with original as well. I can play and hit the 2 flippers, and it does not reset, so far bridge rectifiers have been changed, cap at c4 changed, voltage regulator changed to new style with the adjustable pot, and 5V is solid in fact it is 5.10. Game can just be sitting turned on for hours, then randomly it will do a reset.. I am out of ideas what to do with this issue, It also has an after market dmd driver board, but again was doing random resets with original board as well.. Hooked up to a voltage regulator that keeps power at 120V. Any other thoughts I would appreciate it, I do not know what else to try or what else to replace.. I did not change the 2 upper BR's or the other 3 caps on the driver board, all connectors are good and clean, no burns or corrosion at all.

Thanks
Steve

#2 7 years ago

Not sure but would this help?

http://www.kahr.us/

#3 7 years ago

I am sure... this will help.

http://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Game_resets

You followed all the steps?? Report back the output from each. I bet someone will be able to spot the issue.
faz

#4 7 years ago

I am going to change the top capacitor and the C4 cap now, I had done the bridges already, checked all the solder points suggested, added a new voltage regulator to get it to 5 volts.. Going to try changing out those 2 caps now.

#5 7 years ago

C4 changed and upgraded, now I just sit and wait.. been an hour with no resets, that is the biggest problems with random issues.. you just never know for sure you got it!

#6 7 years ago

Subscribed to this one. Flipper resets we know what to know, but random....?

Very interested to know the conclusion.

#7 7 years ago

I will post updates, Several hours ago, game was just on, no one was playing, then it just rebooted itself, It has done this several times, I changed the Bridges, All the large caps, the voltage regulator, re soldered any questionable parts under the board, went through the pinwiki guide, only thing I forgot to change was C4, so I did. I wish I had a meter to test caps, just ordered one.

#8 7 years ago

Sorry if you already know this, but just in case. One of the "features" of these boards is through hole plates. A tiny conductive tube that connects the pad on the top of the board to the bottom of the board. These tubes are present in all the holes that component legs go through. The plate terminates at a pad on each side. Some times, there's just a pad (the circuit does not continue), other pads continue along a trace.

When removing a component like the BR/Caps it's super easy to drag the plates out with the component. Without the plate, the circuit is broken. Just having a component leg go through the hole does not do it. The only solutions I know to this is adding jumper wires to bridge the gap or add a stitch through the hole to replace the missing through hole plate.

Go over every component you removed/replaced and check the continuity between the top/bottom of the board.

I would not expect this to cause random resets, I would expect things to not work at all. Low power to the optos, machine gunning slings (personal experience here).

But, I'm just tossing this out there.

Best of luck,
faz

#9 7 years ago

Thanks Faz

I was aware of this, I have made that mistake in the past, I bought a desoldering gun, to make sure I do not destroy any boards again... because I have in the past!

#10 7 years ago

Well, 2 days in, I have left the game on all day, I have not been around the game the whole time, but I have not heard or seen a reset yet. I guess that last cap was the problem, I ordered a cap meter the other day, in a few weeks when it shows up, I will test the cap and know for sure.

2 weeks later
#11 7 years ago

Just an update, have not seen another reset since.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,059.00
$ 320.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 19.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 35.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 180.00
26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 84.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 1,159.00
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 29.99
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/addams-family-pinball-random-resets and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.