• 19 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 days ago by NPO
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 days ago

Hi All!
I'm from Australia and I'm new to the pinball world and to start last week I bought an Addams Family pinball that do not work (life is not good without challenges

I know a bit of electronic and I read few post here and there about pinball problems troubleshooting so I spent the last few days to try to figure out what it's going on. Now I'm after some suggestion because I'm stuck.

Pinball : Addams Family 1992 with 1994 gold eproms

Problems: Flash lights/solenoids/the vault and things do not work.
Things that works: Music/display/flippers works/ illumination lights
Self Diagnosis: all the LED on the boards are working as per manual. The initial test do not report any issue
Test: If I run the test from the menu on the flash/solenoids/vault or thing nothing happen (coin door open or closed)
Fuse: I checked all fuses and they are all good

I measure the voltage on J114 and I have 74-74-74-#-22-22 volts.
I measured the voltage on the solenoids and I have 73 volts each side
I quickly put to ground the transistors "head" and the solenoids work
4 of the 5 Transistors with the big heat sink on the power drive board get quite hot. Is it normal?

at this point the below could be possible root causes :

1) All transistors on the Power board are gone (unlikely)
2) all 74374 are gone
3) the CPU board do not send the signal to the 74374

I removed the board and I had a look to the pins soldering it looks all original but I was surprise because the quality is very poor

Anyone had this problem before? what should I do ?

I'm thinking to go over the pins soldering that do not look good but how can I check if the CPU send the correct signal?

Can the Gold eprom cause this kind of problems?

thanks for your help in advance

Simon

#2 8 days ago
Quoted from ditomagico:

Things that works: Music/display/flippers works/ illumination lights

"illumination lights" = general illumination ?

If so, can you measure continuity on the powerdriverboard from U1 pin1 to U2 pin1. (Machine powered OFF)

#3 8 days ago
Quoted from ditomagico:

Problems: Flash lights/solenoids/the vault and things do not work.

If you are running the coil/solenoid tests, try with the coin door closed.

#4 7 days ago

TAF doesn't have a HV bypass as far as I know. The Gold ROMs warn of it but don't actually disable anything (presumably on TAFG it actually does)

#5 6 days ago

Hi All,

thanks for the reply. I try to run the test with both door open and closed but same result

today I'll start to re-do some soldering that appears "cold" .

Zaza .. sorry yes I meant general illumination. what's U1 and U2?

#6 6 days ago
Quoted from Durzel:

TAF doesn't have a HV bypass as far as I know. The Gold ROMs warn of it but don't actually disable anything (presumably on TAFG it actually does)

Yes on my TAFG there is a HV interlock on the coin door. Original Addams do not.

#7 6 days ago
Quoted from jp1985:

Yes on my TAFG there is a 2 HV interlocks on the coin door. Original Addams has only one I think.

#8 6 days ago

Since you state you have voltage at the solenoids and they fire when you ground the transistor tab that eliminates the transistors and the HV bypass. Next would be the signal to the pre-transistors via u5 on the power driver board which gets its command thru j113. I would reseat J113 and make sure it is indexed correctly then check to see if you are getting the signal from the CPU.

#9 5 days ago

last I heard he had the boards out to take to a real pinball tech to test on the bench

#10 5 days ago
Quoted from ditomagico:

what's U1 and U2?

Page 2-8 item 45 in your AddamsFam manual. Page 2-9 for location

#11 5 days ago

Hi all

I checked the connectivity from U1 to U2 pin 1 and I measured ~9MOhm

I checked again the voltage on the PDB and where I supposed to have 50v I have 75V. is it normal?

I re-soldered all the pin that looked "cold"

I reinstall the board but still solenoid and flash not working . I was able to start a game and touching the switches i can increase the score

I think I'll take the boards to the shop to be checked

#12 5 days ago
Quoted from ditomagico:

I checked the connectivity from U1 to U2 pin 1 and I measured ~9MOhm

That should be zero Ohm. Install a jumper from U1-1 to U2-1 and test again.

Quoted from ditomagico:

I checked again the voltage on the PDB and where I supposed to have 50v I have 75V. is it normal?

That is normal

#13 5 days ago

Zaza .. i measured the resistance again and it 's 9 K Ohm

I jumper the pin and it works! Yesterday I noticed that the pin 1 of both U1 and U2 were very oxidised. i tried to resolder them but din change? what do u think is the circuit damaged?

thanks

#14 5 days ago

The capacitor C2 just above this ic has probably been leaking and the electrolyte has oxidized the trace of BLANKING-signal.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/show-off-your-board-repairs#post-3542652

#15 5 days ago

ok should I then bridge the pin on the back with a wire as final solution or should I try to resolder them?
P.S. thanks u a lot !

#16 5 days ago

If indeed the capacitor has been leaking, best is to clean that area from elektrolyte and replace parts where needed.
The capacitor (C2) and regulator (Q2) are part of the 12Volt for switches and you want this to be steady 12Volt.

For now you can leave the wire so you can first play a few games and test all solenoids/flashers/motors/lamps.

Quoted from ditomagico:

P.S. thanks u a lot !

You're welcome, cheers !

#17 5 days ago

Man, Zaza, when you're on point you are just insanely good!

#18 5 days ago

bridged the 2 pins on the back .

it's all working now thanks again Zaza!

I checked C2 and it looks ok .. no leaks. May be some previous problem with the big capacitors on the audio board...it has been changed. I'll use a small brush wet of CRC to try to remove the oxidation. I can see there is some green (copper oxide) behind pin 1 of U1

any suggestion where I can buy TAF electronic boards? On Marcospecialties they are out of stock

#19 4 days ago
Quoted from ditomagico:

bridged the 2 pins on the back .
it's all working now thanks again Zaza!
I checked C2 and it looks ok .. no leaks. May be some previous problem with the big capacitors on the audio board...it has been changed. I'll use a small brush wet of CRC to try to remove the oxidation. I can see there is some green (copper oxide) behind pin 1 of U1
any suggestion where I can buy TAF electronic boards? On Marcospecialties they are out of stock

As of now, all Rotendog distributors (that I checked) are OOS. They must keep like 1-2 on hand or something as RD is currently "experiencing manufacturing issues".

Your best bet would be to contact Chris Hibler or Rob Anthony both here on Pinside and see if you can send either of them your board for repairs.

https://pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/chrishibler
https://pinside.com/pinball/community/pinsiders/borygard

I had them fix a JM MPU board, and it was 100% worth it.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 14.95
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Fort Worth, TX
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 129.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
$ 38.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
$ 24.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 50.00
$ 999.00
€ 95.00
Lighting - Led
FlipperLED
$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 1,099.00
$ 369.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
€ 3.70
$ 17.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
BK Pinball
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Navarre, OH

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside