20200625_123936 (resized).jpg
20200625_123922 (resized).jpg
IMG_1656 (resized).jpg
IMG_1655 (resized).jpg
IMG_1654 (resized).jpg
IMG_1651 (resized).jpg
IMG_1649 (resized).jpg
IMG_1653 (resized).jpg
There are 111 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 3 years ago

Buyer beware! I bought what was advertised as a museum quality fully restored Addams family Pin. It was advertised as having a new old stock playfield that he found in a sealed box. This was one of the main reasons I purchased it.

I spent months waiting the arrival of this machine. Constantly dealt with delays in production. His shop was behind, he had other projects going on, it was too cold to paint......yada yada yada.

Finally after 5 months of waiting the machine came to me. The moral of the story, he went and bought a busted up machine and threw a quick coat of paint on it and sent it to me. The top rails are rusted, the graphics are bubbled where the legs are connected, the plunger wouldn't even send the ball to the top of the ramp because the casing was broken and the shaft was not aligned, the cabinet is completely misaligned/broken/cracked, the balls go into the vault and the game cannot find them later, the thing hand hits against the edge of the box and snaps over it, and worst of all the screws he used were too long and punched holes in the playfield. He ruined this new old stock playfield.

I called and was not happy with the condition in which the game was delivered. He then told me I could send it back to him and he "MAY" be able to put it on consignment and try and get what I paid for out of it. I wasn't even remotely going to consider that option. He then told me he could build another one which would take another 5-6 months, but given the condition in which I received the first one I wasn't going to go that route either.

He then told me that I could ship the machine back to him, but he doesn't have the money to refund me due to COVID. I had no other choice but to call my credit card company and file a fraud claim. The last four months has been a back and forth battle with the merchant claiming that all of the damage was caused in shipping. I filed a claim with the carrier and they denied it. Now the merchant has shut his business down. Complete and total scam artist.

John Ridgway
Game Room Treasures
http://www.gameroomtreasurescolorado.com/

IMG_1649 (resized).jpgIMG_1649 (resized).jpgIMG_1651 (resized).jpgIMG_1651 (resized).jpgIMG_1653 (resized).jpgIMG_1653 (resized).jpgIMG_1654 (resized).jpgIMG_1654 (resized).jpgIMG_1655 (resized).jpgIMG_1655 (resized).jpgIMG_1656 (resized).jpgIMG_1656 (resized).jpg

#2 3 years ago

That sucks and I'm sorry to hear it but...who is that we should beware of?

#3 3 years ago

send that crap back

#4 3 years ago

wow that is far from a "museum quality fully restored Addams family Pin"

#5 3 years ago

Pressure your credit card company. I would be calling them every minute.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from ReplayRyan:

Yes, please inform us.

Also, how much were you charged for this pin?

The concept of "museum quality" means different things to different people. Some (especially non-pinball people) think that it means "still mostly works". Others expect it to be NIB.

If you pay $2K and expect NIB, you are going to be disappointed... but if you paid $6K and got "mostly working", you have a right to be pissed.

#7 3 years ago

I paid just over $13k.......

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from toobitz:

13k for this? I paid like around 8k for a treasure cove restored one at the marketplace like 1 year ago.. looked like new.

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from ReplayRyan:

I assume it's this place, since he listed them in the post:

John Ridgway
Game Room Treasures
http://www.gameroomtreasurescolorado.com

Edit: Found a similar experience from a few years ago as well - https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/worst-pinball-buying-mistake-you-ever-made/page/5#post-1343125

#10 3 years ago
Quoted from toobitz:

You didn’t request pictures and gameplay video etc, before closing the deal?

#11 3 years ago

lesson learned. I searched for the right machine for a while and thought I found it. Dude is a total scam artist

#12 3 years ago
Quoted from toobitz:

Holy sweet Jesus, you got ripped off.
Call your company 24/7 this is awful. And that’s not NOS he definitely just bought a CPR playfield, NOS almost doesn’t exist anymore.

#13 3 years ago

Maybe they are into museum quality patina.
That thing is appalling.
Keep fighting with your card company and best of luck.

#14 3 years ago

So sorry this happened to you. 13k for that? If you need any local help, please reach out to me.

#16 3 years ago

I guess he's had 38 yrs planning to scam you. Sorry this happened

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OUR BUSINESS PHILOSOPHY: WE'RE HERE TO SERVE OUR CLIENTS, NOT JUST MAKE A SALE!

With over 38 years experience in the commercial and consumer game industry, we are all about customer service!

#17 3 years ago

Wow what a scam. When spending that kind of money I wld have did a ton of research and asked for detailed pics and videos of the game in question. Sld be hep quilty but instead got a quicky thrown together routed Addams with new decals and playfield that were not done correctly /well at all. Hopefully you can get your money back or at least half .... this is unacceptable. I'd like to see more pics of the game ...

#18 3 years ago

One of the worst I have seen and I have had some horrible TAFs come through here.

#19 3 years ago

20200625_123922 (resized).jpg20200625_123922 (resized).jpg20200625_123936 (resized).jpg20200625_123936 (resized).jpg

#20 3 years ago

I am so sick of these crooks that destroy such a great hobby for people! I hope you get some satisfaction with all this. Probably difficult to get something back from the credit card company as you actually did receive an item. How do you explain to them that it's not as advertised? Checked out his website and certainly doesn't scream high quality. Poorly designed site with only pictures of new cab artwork from what I could see. Smells of some rank amateur dude working out of his garage with minimal skills at best. Maybe you can recover some of your cash by selling and reinvest in something you will enjoy. My rule to live by is to always check out the game in person. Especially when you are dealing with that kind of cash.

#21 3 years ago
Quoted from TomN:

My rule to live by is to always check out the game in person.

Unless dealing with HEP.

Can you file some sort of police report, try and get this guy for wire fraud since I'm amusing it was over state lines, and most certainly misrepresentation by fraud?

#22 3 years ago
Quoted from Atari_Daze:

Unless dealing with HEP.
Can you file some sort of police report, try and get this guy for wire fraud since I'm amusing it was over state lines, and most certainly misrepresentation by fraud?

True...Chris is on another level for sure.

BTW...It states on his website that he offers a 30 day return policy for home use equipment he sells. Although, I'm sure he can simply refuse if he wants. Maybe call him out on that? Good luck

#23 3 years ago

$13k for a TAF

I don't even know that super minty ones go for that much. It would be top money for a TAFG.

Have every sympathy but you presumably knew you were paying top dollar, but you didn't ask for photos of everything for that price? And you'd surely research the name of the company too. Seems a couple of people did a cursory search and found some ominous stories on here alone.

What is the latest with the credit card chargeback, I assume they say they can't do anything?

#24 3 years ago

I actually thought about sending him a nasty email or calling him, but decided against as it probably wouldn't be all that much help. If you want we can all contact him directly and call him out. LOL...What a d-bag

#25 3 years ago

And it still took 5 months to deliver this poor quality game!

#26 3 years ago

The language and improper grammar in this add should have been HUGE RED FLAG

#27 3 years ago

What a sad looking pin. This is clearly not worth 13k. Hope it works out for you.

#28 3 years ago

Seems like nothing has changed. More from Google Groups...

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.games.pinball/vXme9ALsrFY

#30 3 years ago

In this case, your credit card company is your only friend. And only hope, sadly. I've had very good luck with chargebacks on scammers (100%) but, BUT--never 13k. I'm not sure if that'll matter, but it will certainly be more closely scrutinized because of the dollar amount. You might want to actually call the CC issuing bank and speak with someone there. Keep each and every document that you have. Make copies. Log phone calls and to whom you've spoken with with a time stamp. This is important! Also, if there is someone you can contact and pay a few $$ to confirm that this WAS NOT caused by shipping that would be a plus and move the CC company towards a decision. Best of luck and please keep us posted!

#32 3 years ago

I don't get why he puts gold decals on a reg Addams family, and somehow thinks that makes it worth 13k. Even if it were in good shape, and this one isn't, a reg addams doesn't command 13k. You were taken. also 5 months later is there even CC protection available? Most have time limits for filing disputes.

#33 3 years ago

Very sorry to see this....Perhaps the mods can consider a sticky reputation and feedback subforum to protect those of us out there (sorry if there is one already and I missed it). I hope you get some form of restitution.

#34 3 years ago

Sue his ass!

#35 3 years ago
Quoted from jake35:

also 5 months later is there even CC protection available? Most have time limits for filing disputes.

Which is probably why there were "delays" in getting the machine shipped in the first place.

Odds are the scammer knew that if he delayed long enough, the credit card protection would be beyond the time limit.

#36 3 years ago

credit card company is playing ball to a certain extent. I tried to ship it back and yes, I'm an idiot for buying it from this clown. A few too many beers that night when I spoke to him lol.

I'm already arranging shipping to Chris at High end pins for a real job. I'll never get the money back out of it, but at least it will be done right. By far, will be the most expensive one on the planet once it's done.

I asked him to return it and he said he couldn't even if he wanted to because COVID hit and he didn't have any cash to give me the money back.

#37 3 years ago
Quoted from toobitz:

credit card company is playing ball to a certain extent. I tried to ship it back and yes, I'm an idiot for buying it from this clown. A few too many beers that night when I spoke to him lol.
I'm already arranging shipping to Chris at High end pins for a real job. I'll never get the money back out of it, but at least it will be done right. By far, will be the most expensive one on the planet once it's done.
I asked him to return it and he said he couldn't even if he wanted to because COVID hit and he didn't have any cash to give me the money back.

Who cares if he has the cash or not, get your money back from the credit card company and let him deal with them. Credit card company made money off this transaction too. They should protect you.

#38 3 years ago
Quoted from toobitz:

please post pics after Chris gets done with it. It will be done nice for sure once he is finished. Shame this turkey made off with your cash.

#39 3 years ago

Your CC company can charge back. Push that

#40 3 years ago

I don't get him not even trying what are new rails $100? Like be bad at your job that's one thing but this is just stealing.

#41 3 years ago
Quoted from coz6:

I don't get him not even trying what are new rails $100? Like be bad at your job that's one thing but this is just stealing.

Sometimes you see things like this happen when businesses are failing. The owners lose sight of their normal ethics and attention to detail. Usually not long before they're gone completely.

#42 3 years ago

Well, you’re already 13k in... time to suck it up and send that game to a real restorer. It might end up being a 20k Addams but at least it will be a nice one. Sorry dude.

#43 3 years ago
Quoted from golfingdad1:

The language and improper grammar in this add should have been HUGE RED FLAG

The GeoCities website he has for his business should raise some eyebrows as well, especially if I'm going to shell out $13k for a game.

Hound your CC company. Really hoping they can do something for you, and it's clear you're not going to get anywhere by trying to deal with John.

#44 3 years ago

Those rails would infuriate me. That’s something that isn’t even hard to do yet you were left with rusty rails?

#45 3 years ago

Why does everyone think cc company should reimburse? He bought and recieved an item, different views on condition between buyer and seller. Sorry he got ripped off, but not visa or mc fault

#46 3 years ago
Quoted from Hayfarmer:

Why does everyone think cc company should reimburse? He bought and recieved an item, different views on condition between buyer and seller. Sorry he got ripped off, but not visa or mc fault

Most credit cards offer buyer protection for cases just such as this. Reminds me of a time I booked a place at Cape Cod. The photos looked great until I got there and the room looked like the city dump. I turned around and walked back to the desk clerk and demanded a refund. They told me they would issue me a refund but would keep a day for cancelling. I said fine, I'll dispute with my Credit card company and I did. Took about two months, but I got my money back. There's no ambiguity here. The ad paints the picture of a beautifully restored machine and he got a rusted piece of crap. Not only should he get a refund, the guy should be criminally charged with fraud.

#47 3 years ago

OP, did the seller send any pics before you paid? If so, can you share?

#48 3 years ago
Quoted from Jmckune:

Those rails would infuriate me. That’s something that isn’t even hard to do yet you were left with rusty rails?

What I really don't get, is he had to remove the existing rails to put the decals on. Did he really just put the old rusty ones back on? Wow.

#49 3 years ago
Quoted from Topcard:

Most credit cards offer buyer protection for cases just such as this. Reminds me of a time I booked a place at Cape Cod. The photos looked great until I got there and the room looked like the city dump. I turned around and walked back to the desk clerk and demanded a refund. They told me they would issue me a refund but would keep a day for cancelling. I said fine, I'll dispute with my Credit card company and I did. Took about two months, but I got my money back. There's no ambiguity here. The ad paints the picture of a beautifully restored machine and he got a rusted piece of crap. Not only should he get a refund, the guy should be criminally charged with fraud.

If he accepted pics of the machine he recieved it's on the buyer, not the cc co. My idea of restored and someone else's are prob way diff. ask for lots of detailed, dated pics. I recently sent a game from wa state to Georgia and made a vid with that days newspaper on top. Buyer was super happy to see that and loves his pin.

#50 3 years ago

If you look at his website, he is still listing this "one of a kind" AF as available for sale. I wonder how many of these he has already sold.

I had to do a charge back on my CC for a poorly done (non-pinball related) service. I had to jump through some hoops to do it, but I did get my money back (though it was only like $1200, not $13K).

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
$ 159.00
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 26.99
Playfield - Other
Lee's Parts

20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

$ 35.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 31.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 29.95
$ 84.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

$ 19.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 67.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

There are 111 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/addams-family-nightmare?hl=durzel and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.