Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

DT (resized).jpg
2017-09-20 15.34.26 (resized).jpg
2017-09-20 15.34.40 (resized).jpg
There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 6 years ago

Hi Everybody,

I will start printing TAF and TAFG playfields tomorrow. Following up the issues of colors I would like to get some feedback to my plan.

First - the art is completely redrawn to avoid same printing issues WMS had. There will be no bleeding of any colors around inserts - and there are several other issues which I fixed. Both versions use the same art. All playfields are made on the most modern machines - the inserts are glued in by a robot and all coatings are done by robots (even the mixing of the materials for the robot is done by special automated systems with 100% accurancy), so no human errors occur here. The goal is to have perfection... This is the reason why I do not have different quality levels.

I have two different versions of the playfield as the TAF production used different inserts than the TAFG production. On TAF we have the rectangles with more facetts (right on the pic) and on TAFG the newer style with less facetts. In addition to that the arrow on the production version is the older, smaller style (left on the pic) instead of the newer wider style used on TAFG.

Let's get to the color question for the playfields. After checking ipdb.org and my contacts to former WMS people it was wanted to have a different look on the playfield colors.

In the past I have shopped many TAF and TAFG games and still have some here. They do have one thing together - all prodcution TAF had a darker green and a less pregnant bordoux on the carpet and backside of the book. Beside that there are strong variations in the purple which goes from light blue to purple. This has to be a purple and differences are caused by wrong mixture of the old manufacturers and fading due to the age of the print.

So my question is how do you want the TAF playfields look like? Darker green and less visible bordaux as it was on the initial run or same as on TAFG with the brighter green and darker bodaux?

Next question - Is there a demand for a special edition with glittering effects? I have nice glitter in neon orange, green metallic and gold which could be used to highlight specific areas like the Addams logo in the center for example. Please let me know your thoughts...

I would love to start a poll here, but do not know how to put it in...

The timeframe is:

first ones will be able to ship early october.

Beside TAF and TAFG I have just finished Safecracker which will be availbale probably end of next week and the rerun of WH20 (errors are corrected). BK2K will print right after TAF/TAFG.

Thanks for your feedback!

Best Regards,
Mirco Steffen
www.facebook.com/mircoplayfields

2017-09-20 15.34.40 (resized).jpg2017-09-20 15.34.40 (resized).jpg

2017-09-20 15.34.26 (resized).jpg2017-09-20 15.34.26 (resized).jpg

#2 6 years ago

I'm a sucker for the bling Mirco So is would love to see a nice glitter/pearl effect on some colors to liven up the gold edition playfield.

#3 6 years ago

So maybe green metallic and gold in the logo? Neon orange as well? Just the center of course...

#4 6 years ago

The Price for the TAF and TAFG playfields will be 989 US$ shipped. 20$ off of each if you buy two playfields of any kind same time, 30$ off of each for 3 same time.

Regards,
Mirco

#5 6 years ago

This is great news!

#6 6 years ago

Do you plan to be at Expo this year?

#8 6 years ago

This is great news, but that little BK2K bomb at the end of your message made my day. Can't wait!

#9 6 years ago

The CPR Vs Mirco reviews will be fun to read.

#10 6 years ago

Shit now I need a BK2k. Thanks a lot. I'm trying to cut back

#11 6 years ago
Quoted from lordloss:

The CPR Vs Mirco reviews will be fun to read.

I would take a CPR clearcoat over Mirco any day unless he's changed it recently.

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from dgoett:

I would take a CPR clearcoat over Mirco any day unless he's changed it recently.

Out of curiosity, why do you say that? I've heard far more people sending out CPR playfields to be clear coated after the fact than Mirco playfields. There were some issues with the early WOZ playfields, but I haven't heard of any other problems.

#13 6 years ago

Mirco has had a number of recent problems with PF boards that themselves were not the correct size (FH 1" too long for example), registration issues, holes not drilling correctly or offset, and other errors (see upcoming re-run of Whitewater). His own post this morning leaves a bit of ? as well, asking for a vote on colors. I don't want a vote. I want a PF that looks EXACTLY like the manufacturer had intended as new. TAF PFs were outsourced all several different vendors resulting in variances with each other *and* internally with different runs. I want to know what the colors were supposed to be, and use them. It's what the designer wanted.

#14 6 years ago

edit: sorry, did not realize this was a licensed product. I was told differently by someone today.

#15 6 years ago

Just to be clear here: i do have official licence to do the playfields. I would never run any title without having the rights to.

And some of the first FHs were a few millimeter too long, but NEVER 2"!

The first WOZ were made by a different manufacturer. I did not have any problems on them.

Regards,
Mirco

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

too late, already bought the licensed official version from CPR as I had committed to them.
I got mine already and it looks really nice! Will be hard to top and you are better off not trying to fight this battle and hurt your name/business. Assuming yours is not ooficially licensed product, this is poor form to put it out to try and compete with the CPR officially licensed one.
I have to ask, why even do this and why do it now?
(I say this all as a person that has no problem buying unlicensed stuff when there is no alternative, but when there is then I support the real deal)

You are off your meds.

Mirco is an asset to the community. I have swapped 5 mirco's and 4 cpr's. No repros are perfect. It doesn't have to be a them against us thing. I'm thankful they're available. Rick/pps is the one who granted the license to two different repro companies for the same playfield. This isn't mirco's fault.

#17 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

too late, already bought the licensed official version from CPR as I had committed to them.
I got mine already and it looks really nice! Will be hard to top and you are better off not trying to fight this battle and hurt your name/business. Assuming yours is not ooficially licensed product, this is poor form to put it out to try and compete with the CPR officially licensed one.
(I say this all as a person that has no problem buying unlicensed stuff when there is no alternative, but when there is then I support the real deal)

Another Hilton witch hunt attempt. Now I want to buy a Mirco playfield. Thanks, Hilton!

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Fake News

#19 6 years ago

Oh this is prime Pinside drama. Don't let me down!!!!!!

DT (resized).jpgDT (resized).jpg

In all seriousness, I am very curious/interested to see the differences in these PFs. Anyone with the real life "unlimited funds" cheat code want to buy one of each for the edification of the forum?

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

this is poor form to put it out to try and compete with the CPR officially licensed one.

Mirco is licensed anyway - But there is NO COMPETITION -> CPR is sold out, and nobody can get one from them.
The only competition would be against people re-selling a CPR playfield for a profit.

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from T7:

Mirco is licensed anyway - But there is NO COMPETITION -> CPR is sold out, and nobody can get one from them.
The only competition would be against people re-selling a CPR playfield for a profit.

sorry, I edited as I was given bad info and told Mirco ones were not licensed.

CPR ones are plenty available. Seems odd to me that PPS would license to 2 makers at the same time for the identical product.

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

sorry, I edited as I was given bad info and told Mirco ones were not licensed.
CPR ones are plenty available. Seems odd to me that PPS would license to 2 makers at the same time for the identical product.

You really came in guns blazing. Maybe there's a lesson to be learned here.

#23 6 years ago

There is likely a huge demand for playfields. Likely won't hurt either company.

#24 6 years ago

Chances that Hilton was "given bad information"?

0%

Thanks Micro for running new playfields!

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from fosaisu:

You really came in guns blazing. Maybe there's a lesson to be learned here.

yeah, it was a dick thing to assume it was not licensed and not just ask first rather than believe.

my appologies to Mirco

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from ulmpharmd:

I'm a sucker for the bling Mirco So is would love to see a nice glitter/pearl effect on some colors to liven up the gold edition playfield.

Me too

#27 6 years ago

This is great news

#28 6 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

Seems odd to me that PPS would license to 2 makers at the same time for the identical product.

From Rick's (PPS) posting on potentially doing a TAF remake at some point, I would *speculate* that PPS finally decided against it due to the large volume of TAFs originally produced and opted simply take the licensing fee on the playfield repros. Given its continued popularity and availability, I would think the goal would be to reap licensing fees from at least a few thousand playfields over the next year or so. Probably beyond one vendors capacity or risk tolerance to do that many, so license to two vendors instead.

#29 6 years ago

I would guess that you can easily and legally license one manufacturer in one country and a second manufacturer in another.

As for a TAFr: I'm thinking somewhat on the other side of things. I think the recent glut of playfields coming from CPR and Mirco point to the possibility that all the previous licensing woes have been worked out. It makes more sense to make as much money as possible on playfields BEFORE you announce a whole new game. If you do it the other way around, some people would probably just ditch their old one cheap and buy a new TAFr. It'd save them 40+ hours worth of work, too.

The info from CPR has been that when it comes time to pay for your PF, you have the option to purchase more because they are allowed to make WAY more than their initial allotment. To me, that means that the original IPB order fulfillment agreement, which used to be somewhat of a concrete number, is long history. My guess is PPS has struck a new deal with WMS to make TAFr's, which includes all parts used in the game, i.e. new playfields.

If this is truly the case, TAF playfields will no longer be unobtainium. Although it may end up being that there will be two distinctly different versions: Mirco's and CPR's.

Note: This is all pure conjecture. I know nothing concrete and it's all just a guess.

#30 6 years ago

I reached out and asked just to check and there are ample CPR run to fullfill all needs of their customers. I had assumed that was the case as they said multiples are available if needed in the original release email blast.

I personally am very happy with what I got form CPR and think it is one of the best pfs I have seen from anyone.

The wood is definately the best quality reproduciton pf I have seen to date and the screens look original and spot on to me. There green is the correct green and even if it is not to some people, the brighter green fits the pallet better than darker and brightens up those dull areas.

#31 6 years ago

Hi!

Looks like the common feedback is that the regular version should be slightly darker than the GOLD edition. Thanks a lot for the feedback!

If you wish to comment there would be time till monday as green is one of the last colors to print...

Regards,
Mirco

#32 6 years ago

First of all let me state that I love custom stuff so this question is more out of curiosity. You say that the playfield art is redrawn and you were looking at doing some custom colors. How does this work with it being licensed? I would think that if you are licensed to remake something, it would have to be made like the original? Does your license give you the flexibility to do this?

#33 6 years ago

I would just add effects to existing colors and do not change any art or colors - so there is no problem at that point... Right now I think about adding gold glitter and maybe green metallic glitter to the main logo. I will do some tests on monday. But I would have to decide that right away as we can't hold on printing for answers...

#34 6 years ago

Mirco, I would really think that on the gold edition it would look great if you could add the metallic/pearl look to alot of the areas on the gold playfield. I have had this done on custom playfields before and it really takes them up a level when lighting hits them. If you could maybe make some of the accents in like a gold leafing look to give it a really bold rich look. I am thinking about doing a custom Theatre of magic playfield soon and having that done in some ares to add that rich depth to it. I don't believe you can mess up any of the colors that you are adding metallic too on the field as long as you dont make it too glittery like a bass boat finish...lol. If you want to reach out to me I can show you specific pics of the last monster bash restore I did and had the playfield done with alot of these effects on it....it was stunning.

#35 6 years ago
Quoted from pinlink:

Chances that Hilton was "given bad information"?

nah can say 100% that he was

#36 6 years ago

I would love to see the effect! Maybe you can email a few pics?

#37 6 years ago

pm and pics sent...glad to help

#38 6 years ago

also cool on certain titles to add in accents of neon uv reactive paints

#39 6 years ago

Is the Fester drawing between the flippers the same as the original, or as it been redrawn to look like the Pinball Arcade virtual version? I know they had to redo it due to likeness/licensing issues.

#40 6 years ago

It will be exact same art as the original.

#41 6 years ago

Yay!! I am in for a BK2K!!

#42 6 years ago

BK2K will be available mid November...

Regards,
Mirco

#43 6 years ago
Quoted from Highclasspinball:

Hi Everybody,
I will start printing TAF and TAFG playfields tomorrow. Following up the issues of colors I would like to get some feedback to my plan.
First - the art is completely redrawn to avoid same printing issues WMS had. There will be no bleeding of any colors around inserts - and there are several other issues which I fixed. Both versions use the same art. All playfields are made on the most modern machines - the inserts are glued in by a robot and all coatings are done by robots (even the mixing of the materials for the robot is done by special automated systems with 100% accurancy), so no human errors occur here. The goal is to have perfection... This is the reason why I do not have different quality levels.
I have two different versions of the playfield as the TAF production used different inserts than the TAFG production. On TAF we have the rectangles with more facetts (right on the pic) and on TAFG the newer style with less facetts. In addition to that the arrow on the production version is the older, smaller style (left on the pic) instead of the newer wider style used on TAFG.
Let's get to the color question for the playfields. After checking ipdb.org and my contacts to former WMS people it was wanted to have a different look on the playfield colors.
In the past I have shopped many TAF and TAFG games and still have some here. They do have one thing together - all prodcution TAF had a darker green and a less pregnant bordoux on the carpet and backside of the book. Beside that there are strong variations in the purple which goes from light blue to purple. This has to be a purple and differences are caused by wrong mixture of the old manufacturers and fading due to the age of the print.
So my question is how do you want the TAF playfields look like? Darker green and less visible bordaux as it was on the initial run or same as on TAFG with the brighter green and darker bodaux?
Next question - Is there a demand for a special edition with glittering effects? I have nice glitter in neon orange, green metallic and gold which could be used to highlight specific areas like the Addams logo in the center for example. Please let me know your thoughts...
I would love to start a poll here, but do not know how to put it in...
The timeframe is:
first ones will be able to ship early october.
Beside TAF and TAFG I have just finished Safecracker which will be availbale probably end of next week and the rerun of WH20 (errors are corrected). BK2K will print right after TAF/TAFG.
Thanks for your feedback!
Best Regards,
Mirco Steffen
http://www.facebook.com/mircoplayfields

Curious to see the end result!

1 week later
#44 6 years ago

How did that glitter effect look?

#45 6 years ago

I am really pleased that mirco has stepped up and not reproduced the williams f#ck ups in the artwork and hopefully fixed them properly.
In my opinion CPR should have done this also.

With updated/corrected artwork the mirco version should be better, as the mansion light bleed in the original williams playfields was just stupid.

2 weeks later
#47 6 years ago

Oddly enough, when I tried to purchase on of these through PP, I get an validation error that kicks me back to the login screen. Haven't had issues with PP anywhere else. Sent a PM as well.

#48 6 years ago

Hi.

Sorry for the issues. I don't know how the shop system works here and can't do much here. You can email me if you can't figure it out and we find a different way to order...

Regards.
Mirco

#49 6 years ago

Hi Mirco,

Could you please let us know to order? If it is via email, could you kindly give me your email address.

Thanks

Com

#50 6 years ago

You can email me at mircoplayfields at gmail dot com

Regards, Mirco

There are 54 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/addams-family-mirco-reproplayfields-taf-and-tafg and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.