Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 days ago by Oscilated
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

3.jpg
1.jpg
2.jpg
image.jpg

#1 5 years ago

I just completed upgrading my TAF with LEDs for the inserts. I was on the fence about it for a while because many of the 'upgraded' machines I've seen have either the colors intentionally changed or the LEDs look out of place (color is a shade off, varied brightness, etc.).

For anyone else on the fence about it because you like that "original" look, with the LEDOCD kit (which makes the LEDs fade like incandescent and allows you to control brightness per insert) and the right LEDs, it will look exactly like the original, but with brighter, more vivid inserts. I strongly recommend it.

I managed to color match virtually every insert to where you can't tell if it's the original incandescent or an LED....however, the 5 inserts that seem to be difficult are those not-yellow-but-not-orange mansion (gold?) inserts (Mamushka, Raise the Dead, etc.). I've found it very difficult to find an LED that both matches the original color and the brightness of the other LEDs in the mansion.

I found that Comet's "amber/orange" single SMD is spot on color-wise but not bright enough. Unfortunately, their "amber/orange" dual SMD is not a brighter version of the same color, it's much too orange.

The purpose of this post is twofold I guess - first, if anyone is considering the upgrade and wants to know the LEDs I used, I'm happy to tell you. Second, has anyone out there managed to find an LED that matches the color of those 5 gold mansion inserts and is also bright?

#2 5 years ago

I'd love to see a picture of this cause I hate most LED jobs people do. End up looking like a gaudy vegas slot machine vomiting a rainbow. It sounds like you put a lot of effort forth to make it nice.

#3 5 years ago

Don't color match. Inserts already have a color. You just need the right color temperature via cool white or warm white to bring it out. Granted on Addams I did use blue under blue, as the blue inserts were kind of faded to a gray.

Generally, this works:

Blue, green, = use cool white
Red, orange, yellow = use warm white
White = use cool if you want it "pure white" and warm if you want more of an incandescent look. Sometimes I mix and match depending on the inserts. For instance, on Stern Rolling Stones - I used cool White for the lanes and warm white for Album Multiball & the Notes in front of Mick.

Pink/Purple is the only one I occasionally color match, as there's quite a range of what color it becomes with either warm, cool, or pink under it.

#4 5 years ago
Quoted from mrgregb123:

has anyone out there managed to find an LED that matches the color of those 5 gold mansion inserts and is also bright?

When doing my brother's Funhouse, we ran into the same issue. For yellow, we used Comet warm white. For orange, we used a 3-LED Ablaze orange. The in-between, however, we ended up leaving incandescent, but they're not as bright as you would probably want.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from fattdirk:

I'd love to see a picture of this cause I hate most LED jobs people do. End up looking like a gaudy vegas slot machine vomiting a rainbow. It sounds like you put a lot of effort forth to make it nice.

Here's mine. I generally don't colorbomb - but a tasteful color here and there works well. A green in the swamp, a red under the red ramp and a blue under the blue ramp. I also added a spotlight above the bookcase and an extra "GI" behind the Bear Kick sign.

image.jpg

#6 5 years ago

Here are some pics guys - one is with the lights on the downstroke so you can better see the color representation.

I can provide the exact LEDs used if anyone is interested, but some tidbits:

- GI is still incandescent. I was worried it might look strange with LED inserts. It doesn't.
- Chair and pop bumpers are still incandescent. Liked the look better.
- All white LEDs used are warm white and were used for white and green inserts. White for the green inserts looks more like the original than green LEDs do.
- I used an icy blue LED for GRAVE.
- All yellow inserts use yellow LEDs.
- All orange inserts use orange LEDs but brightness was customized to color-match the original as some of the orange inserts are slightly different in hue.
- The red looks pink in these pics, but it's actually a dead-on red LED and looks really sharp.
- Those 5 gold mansion inserts are still incandescent - haven't been able to color-match them.

I wish just trusting the insert color to do the trick worked with a white LED, but sadly this is not the case. Using a white LED, for instance, behind those 5 gold mansion inserts makes them match the "Graveyard at Max" yellow - wrong color. Using them under GRAVE makes it basically a white insert (these GRAVE inserts seem to be a really faded blue), and using them under red makes it more of a pinkish-red. Sometimes color matching the LED gives a more accurate result, sometimes not.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

#7 5 years ago

Try a pink behind the yellow or orange inserts. Depending on the "shade" of insert it can actually make it match well and keep the brightness even among other inserts. The yellow and range LEDs are just so dim and thus can make those inserts a bit dim.

Make sure it's not one of the really deep colored pinks

5 years later
#8 3 days ago

Okay, I'm 5 years late, but now that I have a TAF, I'd like to get the details on the specific LEDs you used. My current machine has LEDs, but the GI is cool white and the playfield LEDs don't have an original look. I'd like to switch all the lighting out for LEDs that look as accurate to the original incandescents as possible (with maybe a bit more brightness).

#9 3 days ago

Thanks for the PM.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 50.00

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside