(Topic ID: 276056)

Addams Family late model with mixed head and cabinet restore?

By Hobbies4Me

3 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by CLEllison
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20200131_005353153 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200131_005257372 - Copy (resized).jpg
IMG_20200826_114207763 - Copy (resized).jpg
IMG_20200131_005248187 - Copy (resized).jpg
IMG_20200826_114144532 - Copy (resized).jpg
#1 3 years ago

Hello, first post as I am in the planning stage of restoring my TAF machine. This is my personal machine with NO intention of ever selling it.

From my research it is a late model unit (routed but better than most) and it has a standard blue graphics head printing but a GOLD cabinet with gold legs and side rails. The play field is standard. Someone also put a Gold Rom in it.

The cabinets have some scratches/gouges/dings into the wood layer and heavy wear around the flippers (white showing). I need to glue some head cabinet plywood that is starting to de-laminate but nothing mechanically too serious. The insides are so black with filth it looks like it was in a coal mine.

My question is how should it be restored?
1) All matching Standard/Blue decals (regular model style and replacing all gold HW with Chrome)
2) All matching Gold decals (keeping/restoring all gold HW)
3) Try to keep the mixed build using new decals as it seems to have come from the factory. (I am presently not too fond of the mixed look.)
4) Skip new decals and just spot repair and hand touch up the existing artwork.

What would YOU do?

Thanks for your thoughts!

IMG_20200826_114144532 - Copy (resized).jpgIMG_20200826_114144532 - Copy (resized).jpgIMG_20200131_005248187 - Copy (resized).jpgIMG_20200131_005248187 - Copy (resized).jpgIMG_20200826_114207763 - Copy (resized).jpgIMG_20200826_114207763 - Copy (resized).jpgIMG_20200131_005257372 - Copy (resized).jpgIMG_20200131_005257372 - Copy (resized).jpg
#2 3 years ago

If it were mine. I’d redo the decals in all blue unless it a true gold Addams.

#3 3 years ago

If it is a real gold: gold

Otherwise standard.

Can you post a pf pic?

#4 3 years ago

I would go for option 4: keep it as is and do some touchups.
To me a machine is more valuable when still in original condition versus a game where everything got exchanged...the game has a soul that get´s lost by exchanging too many things

#5 3 years ago

I like your option 1 the best.

#6 3 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

If it is a real gold: gold
Otherwise standard.
Can you post a pf pic?

Here is a pic I had available, not well lit but mostly there. I am certain this is NOT a real gold machine. The main flaws I can see without stripping the field are the normal ones.
Chair hole wear, some minor planking in the clouds over the left magnet, right ball return drop position wear deep into the wood just above the rollover switch, some chipping around a few inserts. The UV serial number and the sticker serial number match. It is a CCC manufactured playfield. The date is not readable.

Someone put crappy black and white replacement apron stickers on as well, yuck.

Still on the fence deciding if I want to do a play field swap since I need to strip it all to clean it anyway.

IMG_20200131_005353153 (resized).jpgIMG_20200131_005353153 (resized).jpg
#7 3 years ago
Quoted from Hobbies4Me:

Here is a pic I had available, not well lit but mostly there. I am certain this is NOT a real gold machine. The main flaws I can see without stripping the field are the normal ones.
Chair hole wear, some minor planking in the clouds over the left magnet, right ball return drop position wear deep into the wood just above the rollover switch, some chipping around a few inserts. The UV serial number and the sticker serial number match. It is a CCC manufactured playfield. The date is not readable.
Someone put crappy black and white replacement apron stickers on as well, yuck.
Still on the fence deciding if I want to do a play field swap since I need to strip it all to clean it anyway.[quoted image]

I agree, most likely not a gold, unless someone went through a lot of trouble switching out the bookcase.

My guess: at some point an op cobbled together an Addams for route using a gold cab, standard pf and standard head. Have to remember that when the gold came out, the collector market was pretty much non existent. So make a functional game out of 2, stick that bad boy on route and make that money!

#8 3 years ago
Quoted from dsuperbee:

I agree, most likely not a gold, unless someone went through a lot of trouble switching out the bookcase.
My guess: at some point an op cobbled together an Addams for route using a gold cab, standard pf and standard head. Have to remember that when the gold came out, the collector market was pretty much non existent. So make a functional game out of 2, stick that bad boy on route and make that money!

The reason I think it might be as shipped is due to the following notes I found on the Internet Pinball Machine Database ( ipdb.org ), But it could very well be a Frankenstein build just as much! Either way this is one of my "grail" machines so it's going to get some TLC after all the hard work it's been through.

[quote]
Pat Lawlor comments further on these Later Production games:

The record breaking game was #20,232. That game is the one we all had our picture taken in front of, and then on the cover of Replay. The inside of the game was signed by every worker on the line that day, and is in the possession of Gene Cunningham.

Larry, you are correct that the final few games were made with the Gold. That's because you do not just make 1 cabinet when you are doing screen print production, you make many. Once the change was made, they just kept making them. Yes, there are mis-matched cabinets out there, probably orphans on the "hospital" line at the factory. That's the area where games with problems were kept until the techs could get around to fixing them for shipment. Another possibility is that Odd parts were sometimes assembled to get the last few games of any run out the door.
[end quote]

#9 3 years ago
Quoted from Hobbies4Me:

The reason I think it might be as shipped is due to the following notes I found on the Internet Pinball Machine Database ( ipdb.org ), But it could very well be a Frankenstein build just as much! Either way this is one of my "grail" machines so it's going to get some TLC after all the hard work it's been through.
[quote]
Pat Lawlor comments further on these Later Production games:
The record breaking game was #20,232. That game is the one we all had our picture taken in front of, and then on the cover of Replay. The inside of the game was signed by every worker on the line that day, and is in the possession of Gene Cunningham.
Larry, you are correct that the final few games were made with the Gold. That's because you do not just make 1 cabinet when you are doing screen print production, you make many. Once the change was made, they just kept making them. Yes, there are mis-matched cabinets out there, probably orphans on the "hospital" line at the factory. That's the area where games with problems were kept until the techs could get around to fixing them for shipment. Another possibility is that Odd parts were sometimes assembled to get the last few games of any run out the door.
[end quote]

I'd wager it came from the factory as it is. I've seen mix n match gold/blue games. The serial numbers should tell the story. I'd vote to keep as is. Clean it up, and enjoy the best selling flipper pin of all time.

#10 3 years ago

If you can determine that it left the factory that way, which it probably did, I would restore it as it left the factory.

#11 3 years ago

Look at this way. If a person goes to buy a TAF and the cabinet is pristine but the play field has been replaced does that mean it's worth less? There's no "bible" of hardliners to determine what increases or decreases value it's all subjective. Overall condition should be the price marker .... always. If you like the game then just grab a matching set and be done with it. Seriously, any modification you do qualifies it for "that's not how it came off the line". A nice TAF is a nice TAF. And there's no one other than you that would be able to tell that you changed from an "orphan". My .02

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 67.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 180.00
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 1,059.00
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 35.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball

$ 55.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 159.00
$ 19.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

$ 35.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 1,159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
Machine - For Sale
Livermore, CA
$ 26.99
Playfield - Other
Lee's Parts

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/addams-family-late-model-with-mixed-head-and-cabinet-restore?hl=harig and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.