IMG_5520 (resized).jpeg
DSC00548 (resized).JPG
IMG_5512 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5511 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5510 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5509 (resized).jpeg
IMG_5508 (resized).jpeg

#1 12 days ago

I own an Addams Family Gold pinball machine (411), and the 'extra ball' button lamp does not work. It appears this was never originally wired, but I've seen conflicting solutions on the Internet. Can you tell me if it's possible to make the 'extra ball' button lamp work, and if so what is the proper way to do it?"

#2 12 days ago

You are right. It isn't wired.

Go to single lamp test. Stop on extra ball button lamp. Hit the start button. Then start hitting the "+" diagnostic button. This steps you through wire colors, which pin on which connector, etc. etc.

Then get yourself some wire and wire it up.

LTG : )

#3 8 days ago

Greetings LTG,

Thank you for your reply. I followed your instructions, and I have some questions.

I'm guessing the "Extra Ball" button equates to "Buy In" (see attached image). The lamp location schematic indicates Lamp 41 is not used, so it makes sense this is probably the right lamp. I pressed the start button to display the wire colors, connectors and fuse information. I assume I connect a red-brown wire to J134-1, and a yellow-black wire to J137-4. Where are the connectors located? Do I need to do anything with the fuse information? Can you check the attached images to verify my thinking? What size wire, connectors, etc. do I need to buy and where should I purchase it?

I really appreciate your assistance and support.

IMG_5508 (resized).jpegIMG_5509 (resized).jpegIMG_5510 (resized).jpegIMG_5511 (resized).jpeg
#4 8 days ago
Quoted from todds:

I'm guessing the "Extra Ball" button equates to "Buy In"

Yes. That is correct.

Quoted from todds:

I assume I connect a red-brown wire to J134-1, and a yellow-black wire to J137-4. Where are the connectors located?

Lower right area of driver board in the head. The board is marked J134 and J137. The -1 and -4 are the position of the pin on the connector.

Quoted from todds:

Do I need to do anything with the fuse information?

No.

#5 8 days ago

134 might not have a connector - if not you'll need to make one.

#6 8 days ago

Greetings LTG,

I located J134 and J137, and I assume the numbering on the connector goes from left to right. Both have connectors (see attached image), but J134-1 and J137-4 already have wires attached. Do I need to trace these wires, or will I just be adding new wire on top to the existing wire? Can the connector accommodate two wires? Will it matter which wire connects to which side of the lamp?

Sorry for all the questions. I just want to get it right and not damage anything.

IMG_5512 (resized).jpeg
#7 8 days ago
Quoted from todds:

I assume the numbering on the connector goes from left to right.

You assumed wrong. See the "1" on the right side of each connector ? That is pin "1". To the left of it pin #2, to the left of it #3 , etc. etc.

Quoted from todds:

Can the connector accommodate two wires?

If there is already a wire there, a little distance from the connector I'd solder the new wire onto the existing wire.

Quoted from todds:

Will it matter which wire connects to which side of the lamp?

No. But you need a diode on it. Look at your other feature lamps. See which side of the diode ( black end or silver banded end ) goes to red wire or yellow wire. That is a feature lamp, not GI - which doesn't use diodes.

#8 8 days ago

You're absolutely correct. I assumed wrong. The numbering on the connectors go from right to left. So, on J137-4 there is a yellow-black wire, and on J134-1 there is a red-brown wire. I wonder where these wires go. Why would the lamp test tell us to use these connectors and wire colors, when they were already installed?

Let me look at the back of both the Start button and Extra Ball button. I don't remember seeing a diode.

Thanks again for your help. I'll be in touch.

#9 8 days ago
Quoted from todds:

Why would the lamp test tell us to use these connectors and wire colors, when they were already installed?

Check lamp matrix in the manual. Multiple uses.

Quoted from todds:

I don't remember seeing a diode.

There isn't one. You have to add it.

#10 8 days ago
Quoted from todds:

I located J134 and J137,

See my picture. J133, J134, and J135, can be in any of the same three spots.

J137 and J138, can be interchanged too.

At some point your connectors weren't put back in the correct spot, though they still work and don't hurt anything.

You can see in my picture where they are and where I added the wires.

DSC00548 (resized).JPG
#11 8 days ago

I followed the instructions here (thanks Waybackmachine!)

https://web.archive.org/web/20170612235719/http://www.home.earthlink.net/~pinball_stuff/TAFmod.htm

Maybe someone can setup this page somewhere for future reference.

Edit: Well, you can use some of the instructions here for TAFG; looks like it was mainly for adding an extra ball button to a regular TAF though.

#12 8 days ago

Greetings,

I appreciate all the instruction and advice. From the last couple of replies, I think I understand what I need to do.

Since I have an Addams Family Gold machine, the "Extra Ball" button and switch wiring is already in place (see image). To make the "extra ball" (Buy in) lamp to work, I need to connect a yellow/black wire (instructions suggested using the Swamp "Lock" lamp socket) and a red/brown wire (instructions suggested using the "Lite Advance X" lamp socket on the right in-lane). Is the wire 22 awg? Do I need to solder the wires to the lamp sockets, can I use alligator clips to test that all works correctly?

Before connecting the wires to the lamp terminals on the back of the pushbutton, I need to install a 1N4004 diode (correct one?)on the red/brown wire with the banded side towards the switch. It won't matter which wire connects to which side of the lamp.

Please let me know if I have understood everything correctly?

IMG_5520 (resized).jpegIMG_5521 (resized).jpeg
#13 8 days ago
Quoted from todds:

can I use alligator clips to test that all works correctly?

Yes.

Quoted from todds:

It won't matter which wire connects to which side of the lamp.

No

Quoted from todds:

I need to install a 1N4004 diode (correct one?)

That will work fine.

Quoted from todds:

I need to install a 1N4004 diode (correct one?)on the red/brown wire with the banded side towards the switch.

Right. Black end towards the lamp lug.

#14 8 days ago

Greetings LTG,

Thanks for confirming everything. By the way, the wire is 22 awg right?

I'll let you know how everything works out.

#15 7 days ago
Quoted from todds:

the wire is 22 awg right?

Sounds good.

#16 7 days ago
Quoted from LTG:

See my picture. J133, J134, and J135, can be in any of the same three spots.
J137 and J138, can be interchanged too.
At some point your connectors weren't put back in the correct spot, though they still work and don't hurt anything.
You can see in my picture where they are and where I added the wires.
[quoted image]

Hi LTG. I forgot to respond to this note earlier. Yes, I see where the wiring on J133, J134 and J135 is different. I never touched this, so it must have happened before I obtained the machine in 2005. Unless you recommend it, I just leave them alone since you mention it doesn't hurt anything. I also see where you added the wires.

Would you recommend changing the connectors and wire as you have done, or leave things alone and wire to the lamp posts as written in the other instructions?

#17 6 days ago
Quoted from todds:

Would you recommend changing the connectors and wire as you have done

I'd do that. It works.

#18 6 days ago
Quoted from LTG:

I'd do that. It works.

Thank you LTG. I assume the connectors in your machine are in the factory original position and will match the manual - right?

#19 6 days ago
Quoted from todds:

I assume the connectors in your machine are in the factory original position and will match the manual - right?

Yes. I uncrated the game when it was new. And haven't changed their position.

#20 6 days ago
Quoted from LTG:

Yes. I uncrated the game when it was new. And haven't changed their position.

Hi LTG, I think my AFG #411 originally was overseas (Germany?). From your picture it looks like my machine’s J133, J134, J135, J137 and J138 connectors were all put back in the wrong position. I can change all of them without a problem - right?

It also looks like you added one of the ‘buy in’ wires to J133-1, not J134-1. Is that correct or am I mistaken?

Thanks for your help and advice.

By the way, what number AFG machine do you have?

#21 6 days ago
Quoted from todds:

I can change all of them without a problem - right?

Yes.

Quoted from todds:

It also looks like you added one of the ‘buy in’ wires to J133-1, not J134-1. Is that correct or am I mistaken?

Probably. They are interchangeable so it works.

Quoted from todds:

No idea. It's in the back row. I'm up front. After 13 hours I don't feel like going to look.

#22 6 days ago
Quoted from LTG:

Yes.

Probably. They are interchangeable so it works.

No idea. It's in the back row. I'm up front. After 13 hours I don't feel like going to look.

No worries; I’d be tired too. Thanks for all your advice and guidance.

#23 6 days ago
Quoted from todds:

#24 1 day ago

I would like to send a big "THANKS" to LTG and mjenisen for their advice and for sharing the link to the extra ball instructions.

Rather than wire directly to the referenced connectors on the driver board, I opted to follow the instructions and connect to the lamp sockets on the bottom of the playfield using alligator clips. A diode was added to the red/brown wire and female quick connects were used to attach the wire to the lamp connections on the back of the extra ball (buy in) button. Finally, I stepped through the single lamp test to insure everything worked correctly.

The extra ball lamp on my AFG works perfectly. Thanks again fellow Pinsiders!

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside