Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
TAF ASIC socket (resized).png
WPC ribbon cable to reseat (resized).png
2019-01-26 16_53_00-simpsons haha meme - Saferbrowser Yahoo Search Results - Internet Explorer (resized).png
IMG_5477 (resized).JPG
IMG_5480 (resized).JPG
IMG_5478 (resized).JPG
IMG_5476 (resized).JPG
IMG_5474 (resized).JPG
IMG_5471 (resized).JPG
IMG_5472 (resized).JPG
IMG_5477 (resized).JPG
IMG_5480 (resized).JPG
IMG_5476 (resized).JPG
#1 5 years ago

My Addams Family has been working well for the past year or so but last night had a party and it crapped out. Played probably 10 games on it and then the DMD started to have dots all over it in an random pattern. I powered off the game and reseated the cables and then turned the machine back on. The DMD just has 6 or 7 dots lit up and no beep or menu. There is a faint whining coming from the speakers. The GI and Lamps turn on but I'm still unable to start a game. Any idea where to start?

IMG_1771 (resized).JPGIMG_1771 (resized).JPG
#2 5 years ago

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#LEDs_and_test_points_on_WPC-089_Power.2FDriver_Boards

Can you parse out how far the game is booting from the leds that are lit on the MPU and other boards?

#3 5 years ago
Quoted from YeOldPinPlayer:

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#LEDs_and_test_points_on_WPC-089_Power.2FDriver_Boards
Can you parse out how far the game is booting from the leds that are lit on the MPU and other boards?

Hmm, just doubled checked and it looks like all LED's are lit as they should be.

#4 5 years ago

If your game is in attract mode, then it is time to test the voltages at the DMD.
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Testing_DMD_Controller_Power

If the voltages are good at the DMD, press on the U9 ASIC chip on the MPU board.

#5 5 years ago

Can you post a better picture of the MPU board?

#6 5 years ago

What's going on in the upper right corner of the driver board? Might have something to do with it and wouldn't hurt to fix it properly for starters.

#7 5 years ago

Does it cycle the book case when you power it on? No cycle, GI, some dots on DMD makes me think +12VDC Logic

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from tullster:

What's going on in the upper right corner of the driver board? Might have something to do with it and wouldn't hurt to fix it properly for starters.

I was wondering the same.

#9 5 years ago
Quoted from tullster:

The photo is not the clearest but ... it looks like someone tried to fix a +5V reset issue by following the (out-of-date) mantra replacing BR2/C5. I'm guessing the through holes for C5 were destroyed forcing the person doing the repair to mount the capacitor upside down and wiring jumpers to the PCB as well as to the destination of the traces. To secure the capacitor zip ties were used.

I can't see what's going on under the electrical tape above the section of the board for lamp matrix ICs.

#10 5 years ago
Quoted from DumbAss:

The photo is not the clearest but ... it looks like someone tried to fix a +5V reset issue by following the (out-of-date) mantra replacing BR2/C5. I'm guessing the through holes for C5 were destroyed forcing the person doing the repair to mount the capacitor upside down and wiring jumpers to the PCB as well as to the destination of the traces. To secure the capacitor zip ties were used.

I can't see what's going on under the electrical tape above the section of the board for lamp matrix ICs.

What is even odder is it looks like LED6 (+18V) is out, yet I clearly see LED1 is lit signifying you have 12VR available for the switch matrix, this shouldnt be as the 12VR is derived from the +18V and you shouldn't this 12VR without your 18V. Please check the status of f114 (with a meter)

#11 5 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

this shouldnt be as the 12VR is derived from the +18V and you shouldn't this 12VR without your 18V.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/bsd-has-no-lamp-matrix-lights#post-2989449

#12 5 years ago

arrrgggghhhh....it should still be fixed right!

#13 5 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

With a Kahr board?

#14 5 years ago

Tried to take some better photos:

1) Yes, it does cycle the staircase when I power on.

IMG_5471 (resized).JPGIMG_5471 (resized).JPGIMG_5472 (resized).JPGIMG_5472 (resized).JPGIMG_5474 (resized).JPGIMG_5474 (resized).JPGIMG_5476 (resized).JPGIMG_5476 (resized).JPGIMG_5477 (resized).JPGIMG_5477 (resized).JPGIMG_5478 (resized).JPGIMG_5478 (resized).JPGIMG_5480 (resized).JPGIMG_5480 (resized).JPG
#15 5 years ago
Quoted from PinballManiac40:

Quoted from Pin_Guy:

With a Kahr board?

LOL .... now you are just pushing my buttons.

#16 5 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

LOL .... now you are just pushing my buttons.

2019-01-26 16_53_00-simpsons haha meme - Saferbrowser Yahoo Search Results - Internet Explorer (resized).png2019-01-26 16_53_00-simpsons haha meme - Saferbrowser Yahoo Search Results - Internet Explorer (resized).png

#17 5 years ago

There is a lot of scary here
pasted_image (resized).pngpasted_image (resized).png

#18 5 years ago

If your game is in attract mode, then it is time to test the voltages at the DMD.
http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Testing_DMD_Controller_Power
If the voltages are good at the DMD, press on the U9 ASIC chip on the MPU board.

Also reseat this ribbon cable and the one next to it.

WPC ribbon cable to reseat (resized).pngWPC ribbon cable to reseat (resized).png
#19 5 years ago

Though, I am concerned of this U9 socket.
TAF ASIC socket (resized).pngTAF ASIC socket (resized).png

#20 5 years ago

The FIRST thing I would do would be to cut off what appears to be 3 added parallel filter caps and toss them in the trash. I would then attempt to properly fix the board where C5 was "removed" from the board.

#21 5 years ago

Also reseat this ribbon cable and the one next to it.
[quoted image]

Reseated this cable, but unfortunately no change.

#22 5 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

There is a lot of scary here

I bet someone put an arcade switching power supply in there in the past to “fix” the +5V reset issue. Just “jam” the switching power supply output into those connectors and you’re good to go.

#23 5 years ago
Quoted from Pin_Guy:

The FIRST thing I would do would be to cut off what appears to be 3 added parallel filter caps and toss them in the trash. I would then attempt to properly fix the board where C5 was "removed" from the board.[quoted image]

Hmmm, I'm not the best with board repair but the machine was working well for a number of years. Would it be ridiculous to replace the entire power driver board? I was searching around for a replacement but didn't have much luck. Thanks again for everyone's help.

#24 5 years ago
Quoted from halomojo:

Hmmm, I'm not the best with board repair but the machine was working well for a number of years. Would it be ridiculous to replace the entire power driver board? I was searching around for a replacement but didn't have much luck. Thanks again for everyone's help.

Send it for repair if you are not comfortable doing it. It will be cheaper too.

#25 5 years ago

Send it for repair if you are not comfortable doing it. It will be cheaper too.

Do you have a recommendation of where I might send it in to?

#26 5 years ago

@chrishibler He will even be happy to install NVRAM on your MPU board to get rid of the batteries.

Other issue will be repinning the wired connectors.

#27 5 years ago

In the meantime is there anything else immediately apparent that I should check?

#28 5 years ago

Wow....that driver board has seen better days. I honestly wouldn't either bother to troubleshoot. You were on borrowed time with the number of hacks done...consider yourself fortunate. At this point you'll be chasing down rabbit holes. Send the boards off to a reputable person so you can start with a known working board set. More reliable and safer for the future.

#29 5 years ago

Just my 2 cents... had similar issues on my TAF and it turned out to be a bad RAM chip.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1,159.00
$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball

$ 1,059.00
$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 19.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
$ 27.99
Rubber/Silicone
Comet Pinball

$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 180.00
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 84.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

$ 159.00
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/addams-family-game-powers-on-but-no-dmd-amp-no-menu-can-t-start-game?hl=ryanbrooks and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.