Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_6939 (resized).jpg
IMG_6944 (resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider skillshotexhibit.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 4 years ago

Hi all, I have a TAF that has been giving me some flipper troubles. The lower right flipper has been pretty weird, extra flips when pressing the button, sometimes dropping down unexpectedly. I made some adjustments to the button switches that seemed to work for a little while, the trouble came back and I was advised to re-seat multiple connectors, that worked well for a while then the problem came back again.

Everything really went downhill when I powered up the machine and the bottom Left flipper immediately went into the up position and the game would not fully boot up. I tried powering the machine up a few times and smelled a faint burning smell. I figured I was having a transistor issue so I swapped the Rottendog Fliptronics II board out with another spare Rottendog Fliptronics II board. The game works just fine now.

What could be blowing transistors on the Fliptronics board? I have some new flipper button switches on order, they are old and need to be replaced. I looked at many of the connectors in the backbox for burnt connectors or loose wires and did not see anything. Any advice on what could be causing this?

Thanks!

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Did you reseat the connectors with the power on ? If so that could do it.
Left flippers, lower and upper. Be sure both coils have two diodes on each one, and the legs aren't broken or anything.
LTG : )

I always shut the game off when working on anything, so it was off when the connectors were re-seated.

Both lower flippers have relatively new pincoil replacements, both coils have two diodes.

#5 4 years ago

I did just notice that one of the lugs on the right upper flipper coil looks to be broken off the plastic housing. Could that be causing the trouble?

IMG_6939 (resized).jpgIMG_6939 (resized).jpgIMG_6944 (resized).jpgIMG_6944 (resized).jpg
#6 4 years ago

Im not sure if that is a repair type situation or if would be better to just replace the coil. That anchoring ring is completely out of the plastic housing.

Thanks for the assistance BTW.

#8 4 years ago

I replaced the coil with a new one. The game is no longer having a boot-up issue with the left flipper sticking up. However, even with the new coil the right bottom flipper is making a kind of skipping effect, extra flips and the flipper unexpectedly drops down. My guess is that I need new flipper button switches, which are in the mail. I've tried to adjust them several times and it was no help at all.

Does it make sense that the flipper button switches could be causing the bottom right flipper to drop down unexpectedly and flip up and down frequently when pushing the button?
Thanks

2 weeks later
#11 3 years ago

Hi all, I have an update on my TAF and I'm hoping for some direction. I'm really out of ideas. The flippers are acting strangely. Sometimes all four work perfectly, sometimes the bottom right flipper doesn't work but the upper right does, sometimes all four work but feel a little weak, its all over the place. This is what I have done to address the situation:

All four coils just replaced with new, unused coils
Replaced the flipper button switches
replaced the Fliptronics board with a new Rottendow FLP 892 Fliptronics II board

I replaced all of these at the same time, and am still having the same problems. What should I look at next?

Thanks so much!

#12 3 years ago

Hi all, the flipper buttons on my TAF are original to the game. I made some adjustments to the leaf switches on the right flipper button and for now (fingers crossed) it seems that the extra flips are under control. On the left flipper Im still experiencing random problems such as the lower flipper flipping but not the upper, or the lower flipper flips twice and the upper flipper flips once than dies. When I push down on the left flipper button and kind of rotate the button, different things happen such as the left flipper flipping several times.

I'm wondering, could a worn out flipper button cause the problem by not consistently pressing on the leaf switches? The stem part of the button that comes into contact with the switches does not hit the switch directly on the center of the switch every time.

Has anyone had this experience or have any advice? Should I replace the flipper buttons next? It does not seem like you can repair them.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 26.99
Playfield - Other
Lee's Parts

$ 29.99
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

$ 159.00
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Loop Combo Pinball

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 84.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods

$ 180.00
$ 29.95
$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA
$ 67.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 19.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider skillshotexhibit.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/addams-family-fliptronics-woes?tu=skillshotexhibit and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.