• 12 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 10 days ago by LTG
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 20 days ago

Hi all,

I'm desperately looking for advice on how to fix some flipper problems on my TAF. All four flippers have had very intermittent, weird things happening that make the game unplayable.
At times the bottom right flipper does not respond at all when pressing the button but the upper right flipper does work, sometimes both work perfectly. Other times the upper left flipper does a double flip motion while the bottom left is fine. Ive also found that sometimes when I hold the left flipper button in all the way, both flippers activate and stay in the up position then the upper flipper goes down while I still have the button pressed, it does not happen every time however.

This is what I have done so far to fix the situation:

Replaced all four coils
Installed a new Rottendog Fliptronics II board
Installed new flipper button switches
Ive made every attempt to adjust all of the switches on the all four of the coils and the flipper button switches, the spacing looks correct as far as my eye can tell.
Ive re-seated every connector related to the flippers in the back box many times.
All of the solder points on the flipper button switches and coils look solid
All fuses are good

Any advice on what I should try next?

Thanks so much!

#2 20 days ago
Quoted from SkillshotExhibit:

Any advice on what I should try next?

Tests - Switch Edge - hold flipper button in - do both leaf blade switches register on the screen and stay on ?

Start by sorting out power or flipper button switches.

LTG : )

#3 19 days ago
Quoted from LTG:

Tests - Switch Edge - hold flipper button in - do both leaf blade switches register on the screen and stay on ?
Start by sorting out power or flipper button switches.

Thanks for that advice. I did to the Switch Edge test just now, all of the leaf blade switches register on the screen, however, the bottom right flipper is jumping up and down several times when I press the button, this does not happen every time, sometimes both flippers go up normally then the bottom right just drops down.

Sorry, what do you mean by sort out power or flipper button switches? The switches are brand new, solder joints are good and the switch gaps look correct to me when comparing to guides I have reviewed.

Thanks so much!

#4 19 days ago

BTW I have a back up Rottendog Power Driver board that I installed in the game about 30 minutes ago and that did not fix any issues.

#5 19 days ago

what do you mean by sort out power or flipper button switches?

Do the coils get power - yes-no ?

Do the switches work - yes - no?

One or the other. Not likely both.

the bottom right flipper is jumping up and down several times

The switches are brand new

You never had a new part fail ? On leaf blade switches, it is possible the contact on the end of each blade ( looks like a rivet ) might not be making a good electrical contact with the blade.

#6 19 days ago

It’s most likely in the switch itself, inspect and make sure the leaf switch for the lower flipper is continuous and makes good contact.

#7 12 days ago
Quoted from LTG:

Do the coils get power - yes-no ?
Do the switches work - yes - no?
One or the other. Not likely both.

You never had a new part fail ? On leaf blade switches, it is possible the contact on the end of each blade ( looks like a rivet ) might not be making a good electrical contact with the blade.

Quoted from jchristian11:

It’s most likely in the switch itself, inspect and make sure the leaf switch for the lower flipper is continuous and makes good contact.

Thanks so much to you both. I did another round of testing power is good to all four of the coils in the switch test. I also tested all of the leaf switches on the coils and the flipper buttons and those are working well.

I am still having random issues with all four flippers, flipper skipping, dropping down while button is pressed, sometimes not activating at all. One of these issues that really gets me is that when I push the flipper button in all the way the upper left flipper goes up before the bottom right.

Could I be having an issue with the flipper hold power? I assumed that replacing all four coils and the fliptronics board would address that issue.

Could I be experiencing these troubles due to a bad transistor on the power driver board? I also have been looking for info regarding the small "extra flipper power" board and wondering if that could be the cause.

I checked all of the connectors that go to the power driver board, the fliptronics board and the extra flipper power board and the connections all look good, the wires are in solid and I don't see any kind of burned connectors or anything like that.

Any idea what I should look into next?

Thanks!

#8 12 days ago

Also, I am trying to look for diagnostic info on the MPU board in my TAF. I know that the red flashing diodes can communicate an error with a certain number of flashes, although I can seem to locate info on what the flashes mean. I don't see it in the TAF manual. Any advice on that?
I have had the MPU serviced in the past, although I don't remember what was done to it. Im wondering if the trouble could be caused by MPU failure.

Thanks!!

#9 12 days ago

I actually found the info and all of the lights on my board, flash as they should according to this:
### **CPU LED’s Explained**

D19 – Blanking,
D20 – Diagnostic
D21 – +5VDC

D19 – At game turn on, this should be on for appx 3 seconds, then should go out AND STAY OUT! This indicates that the blanking circuit is disabled and therefore the machine cannot energise solenoids etc.
D20 – After D19 has gone out, this should stay flashing permanently while the game is on. This indicates (when flashing continuously that the CPU is running)
D21 – This should  ***always***  be on. This indicates that the 5VDC power is on the CPU board.

#10 11 days ago

Do you use the correct type of flipper switch?
Addams and HS2 shall have a special type of low-voltage flipper switch (SW-1A-192). Others had similar problems using the more common high-voltage switch (For non-fliptronics games). See link below:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/hs2the-getaway-intermittent-flipper-issue-flipper-switch-question

#11 10 days ago

Just came here to say I am having a similar flipper issue on my TAF but this is the first time I am seeing this issue after owning this pin for a few years.
Bottom right flipper falls down intermittently when holding in the flipper button. While holding the button in, sometimes the bottom flipper falls. Sometimes it stays down, sometimes it re-engages and flips back up. My guess is its a problem with the flipper switch but not sure how to troubleshoot it. Sorry to hijack the thread but wondering if its the same issue.

#12 10 days ago
Quoted from biscoseattle:

My guess is its a problem with the flipper switch but not sure how to troubleshoot it.

Tests - Switch Edge - Hold flipper button in, see if one open up. ( I doubt it )

Coil - could be a bad coil, broken diode leg on coil, poor solder joint on coil, or thin wire from one of the coil lugs going into the coil has a break or crack.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 17.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
BK Pinball
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside