Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 years ago by PlatinumPinMike
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 10 years ago

The lower right flipper on my machine sticks when used. The upper one is fine and the lower on goes back down when you flip the left flippers. The flipper does not stick in the up position when mannually moved there when the machine is turned off.

I would appreciate any advise on how to fix this.

Thanks Jay

#2 10 years ago

The first thing to check is the diode across the coil. I normally use 1N4004 diodes as replacements (You can find them at Radio Shack if needed). If you can't check it with a VOM just try replacing it. It could also be the coil or more likely the switch contacts. I bought new flipper switches for my old Phoenix from here even though they worked as they were worn and pitted.

http://www.lakesidepinballparts.com/switch.html

Just FYI for your understanding :

Flipper coils are a dual winding coil. The first coil does the big hard kick and then the switch disconnects that coil and connects a lower current coil that lets you hold the flipper in the up position. If it was just a single wound coil holding it up at the higher "kick" current would burn out the coil. Coils are simply big electro-magnets like when you were a kid and wound some wire around a horseshoe bolt and connected it to a battery.

#3 10 years ago

Thanks I will check it out.

#4 10 years ago

In looking at my flipper coils the number of diodes are not the same. One coil has 2 diodes, 2 have 1 diode, and 1 has none. Should I have 1 or 2 diodes?

#5 10 years ago

Sounds like you have a sticky plunger, or a weak spring. From what I've read, if a coil has 1 diode it is wound in a series, if it has 2 diodes it is wound in parrell. All replacements are wound in parrell. The banded side of the diode is the high voltage side.

Here a great guide that I use, http://marvin3m.com/fix.htm.

#6 10 years ago

Coils are either single or have a secondary (parallel) coil. Flipper coils are always the latter. The first coil provides the big kick and then the metal leaf switch disconnects the main coil and activates the secondary low current hold coil. Sometimes the diodes are not so noticeable and encased in a white silicone on one side or the other depending on the manufacturer (I know I have seen some "Quality Coils" that do the silicone thing). Use the website link mentioned by the member above and also www.pinrepair.com to learn how things work. I will never say I can't learn something new after all these years and that even a brand new posting member can't teach me something I did not know (this is in no way related to you being a newbie in any way jrrdw .. and thanks for trying to help out.)

BD

#7 10 years ago

It's all good. Both the links are GOLDEN for the "do it yourselfer" like me, so is this forum. I've rebuilt all 4 of my flippers thanks to the links mentioned and replace 2 coils and ran a multitude of test on my work in progress. Good luck with your machine tallgrass, and thanks for all your advice Brokedad. Good times!

2 weeks later
#8 10 years ago

Thanks brokedad it was the diode.

3 years later
#9 7 years ago

Thx to this Pinside forum , had the same problem with my TSPP lower left flipper , the diode was the problem too

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Manheim, PA
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside