Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 5 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by KenLayton
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

The Escape button on my coin door service switch stopped working. All the other service switches work, but to escape out of a particular test, feature, utilities, adjustments, pricing menu, etc., I have to power cycle the game to escape.

Any ideas what to look for? I never experienced this problem on any of my WPC games in 10 years..

#2 8 years ago

Loose/disconnected wire on switch?

#3 8 years ago

Probably like smokey said or might need reflow solder,Reseat connectors on CPU board

#4 8 years ago

As suggested, check the wiring at the switch, check connector J205 on the cpu and if that's all good check for continuity from the switch to the board.

You can also go into switch edge test, remove J205 and then jumper pin 6 to ground to simulate a closing of the escape switch.

#5 8 years ago

Worst case is battery corrosion, the first thing that gets wacky is the settings in the coin door

#6 8 years ago

First look for a bad escape switch (test with a ohm meter).

Next look for a wire broken off the escape switch.

Next look for bad solder joints on the coin door interface board.

Next look at the CPU board for battery leakage damage.

I just repaired an Addams Family cpu board 3 weeks ago with the same exact problem you have (also happened suddenly). It turned out to be a broken trace underneath the U16 chip. The problem was not obvious until I removed the chip and performed a trace-to-trace continuity test with my ohm meter on the component side of the board. Even under a magnifying glass the trace physically looked fine, but the meter said otherwise. So I installed an IC socket and one jumper wire to restore the circuit. Popped a new chip in the socket and tested it out. All was good to go again. Problem solved.

#7 8 years ago

Thanks all. I will check all these things out and report back.

#8 8 years ago

I have resolved the problem.. I checked for continuity from the switch, thru the coin door interface board and to the J205 connector pin 6 in the backbox. I had good continuity all the way. I removed J205 from the CPU board, entered switch edges test and jumpered pin J205-6 to ground. I also tested the other pins for the diagnostic switch test this way also. All switch registered except pin 6 was intermittent. I removed the CPU board, took it to bench and tested traces for continuity from the J205 header pins all the way thru the U-16 LM339 chip and could not find any bad traces with the meter, but I went ahead and replaced U16 chip by cutting the old ship legs, desoldering each pin, clearing the thru holes, put in a new 14 pin machine socket and installed the new Lm339 chip. Re-installed back in game, booted game up, opened coin door and pressed the coin door switch test function, made game adjustments, etc, and the escape button worked fine. I played several games and re-entered the service/diagnostic tests, each time the escape button as well as all other buttons worked properly.

#9 8 years ago

Sounds like the chip had gone bad. Glad you got the escape switch problem corrected.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 67.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 159.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 1,159.00
$ 109.99
Lighting - Led
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 84.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
GMods

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

11,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Hanford, CA
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple

$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 27.99
Rubber/Silicone
Comet Pinball

$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 19.99
Lighting - Led
Mitchell Lighting

Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

$ 10.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/addams-family-escape-button-on-coin-door-service-switch-not-working and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.