IMG_0529.jpg
IMG_0526.jpg
00505_jCvwFIfOc1d_600x450.jpg
00p0p_7CboPgmEY7I_600x450.jpg
00P0P_g7OSym4pyEP_600x450.jpg
00E0E_ug14Koj4sK_600x450.jpg

#1 8 years ago

Hey Everybody!

I need some help/advice on a local Addams Family. The guy has owned it for the past 8 years and bought it from an estate before that. It has never been shopped but he said he recalls having the rubbers replaced awhile back and has had minor service repairs while he has owned it. He said it currently is throwing a switch error but doesn't affect game play (not sure what exactly). Attached are the pictures from the ad and extra pictures I asked for. Looks a lot dirtier than I expected and the front cabinet/coin door are an eye sore. Asking price is $6000 and he said he already refused a $5000 offer. Think it would clean-up nice with some elbow grease / wax? And are the plastic targets easy to still purchase?

Thanks!

00E0E_ug14Koj4sK_600x450.jpg00E0E_ug14Koj4sK_600x450.jpg

00P0P_g7OSym4pyEP_600x450.jpg00P0P_g7OSym4pyEP_600x450.jpg

00p0p_7CboPgmEY7I_600x450.jpg00p0p_7CboPgmEY7I_600x450.jpg

00505_jCvwFIfOc1d_600x450.jpg00505_jCvwFIfOc1d_600x450.jpg

IMG_0526.jpgIMG_0526.jpg

IMG_0529.jpgIMG_0529.jpg

#2 8 years ago

From what I can see it looks pretty nice. It is always surprising how much things usually clean up. Switches and targets are available and easily replaced if needed. Be sure to check the boards for hacks and battery damage (usual buying advice). Make sure that Bookcase and Thing are working properly, there are tests in the test menu. Price wise its in the ballpark. If you have seen it, like it and its nearby that most of the battle.

#3 8 years ago

$6k is too much for an average, unshopped TAF. Nice shopped ones with mods and LEDs sell for $4.5-5.5k. $5k seems like a totally reasonable offer. Did this guy buy it for $1900 at an estate sale in 2007, not do any work to it, and is now expecting to get above market value? Totally not greedy...

#4 8 years ago

Not enough pictures and low resolution ones at that to tell. How is the house area in regards to wear? Notorious for wear around the inserts. I see some Factory Mylar edges in the picture. Is there Mylar over the House area? Look around drop edges and eject hole by thing.
Coin door looks to be touched up, missing bolt on top of coin door? Lots of scratches around the door. Agree it could be a diamond in the rough but would need a closer look. For 6K though I would expect it to at least be cleaned
If he refused 5K and it is in good shape try $5100. Doubt I would go 6K.

#5 8 years ago

LED's and shopped is OK at 6K but not in present condition. 5K-5.5K is right for this pin assuming no PF wear and all parts like bookcase and Thing work as mentioned.

#6 8 years ago

With the disclaimer that I knowingly over paid when I purchased my TAF given its particular condition, what made me go ahead with the deal was that it was local and available and I really wanted one even though it had magnet burn and some board issues. I guess it really depends on how badly you want that particular machine.

#7 8 years ago

This TAF looks to be in decent shape from the pictures shown. Targets are usually easy to find online and replace if needed. Looks like already has cliffy for electric chair!

#8 8 years ago

Looks like a 5k machine to me. Assuming everything works.

#9 8 years ago

I sold my Addams family that I owned for many years recently. Had Uncle Fester chair mod installed, train mod, decals for thing back box,
Under chair lighting, cliffy protectors, swamp light mod some tasteful LED's, new clear ramp installed and a color dmd. All for $6k. Oh
and recently shopped. I think a bare bones in this shape is $4500.00

#10 8 years ago

Just because he said he has refused $5000, doesn't mean he did

#11 8 years ago

If u have to buy one sight unseen and pay shipping your in the same ball park as this one that u can walk up to and touch.. Shoot for $5500 if u can't get your number u might pay more later feeling u missed out the first time!

#12 8 years ago

As others have said, we can't see the mansion area, which is where the most wear will likely be.

Assuming that area is ok, I think $5000 is more than fair and probably favors the seller. That being said, there's nothing wrong with overpaying if you understand you're overpaying and want it now.

#13 8 years ago
Quoted from DefaultGen:

$6k is too much for an average, unshopped TAF. Nice shopped ones with mods and LEDs sell for $4.5-5.5k. $5k seems like a totally reasonable offer. Did this guy buy it for $1900 at an estate sale in 2007, not do any work to it, and is now expecting to get above market value? Totally not greedy...

In all fairness the game does have GREED spelled on the PF.

#14 8 years ago

Agreed. That particular TAF ain't worth 6K, at least to me. Can't really tell what it's worth FOR SURE until you physically inspect it YOURSELF or have someone you trust who is knowledgeable about TAF look at it for you.

But then again, I got mine in 1997 for a fifth of what they're going for now.

Just my .02.............

Greg

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
#15 8 years ago

I agree with everyone.....that is not a 6k TAF. He should have taken the 5k.

If you really want it and since it's local, you could go a little high on it but I certainly wouldn't cross 5.5k.

#16 8 years ago

Thank you for all the replies and advice! I will be looking at it with confidence on Friday. I will let you all know how it goes and hopefully it makes it home with me.

Oh! Someone mentioned "factory mylar" . Where on the Addams Family was Mylar typically placed from the factory?

#17 8 years ago

pm sent

#18 8 years ago

I see wear by the swamp, so who knows how bad it is under the chair cliffy. The thing flip insert seems t be wearing at an edge, so I wonder how a close up of the mansion would look. Why is there no good mansion pic? The coin door has goo running down it and is missing the top bolt. Not a big deal on its own, but just shows little obvious thing wrong.

This is not a 6K machine.

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from YERFDOG:

Thank you for all the replies and advice! I will be looking at it with confidence on Friday. I will let you all know how it goes and hopefully it makes it home with me.
Oh! Someone mentioned "factory mylar" . Where on the Addams Family was Mylar typically placed from the factory?

From the factory there was a piece in the pop bumper area and I believe one in front of the graveyard scoop. On the playfield image I can see Mylar edges. Since there is no Mansion pic it is probably worn but there was a Bally produced central Mylar that was available that covered the Mansion section. I have one on mine. Prevented the typical Mansion insert edge wear.

This might be the same or a close copy. http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/03-7960-20017
The central piece was the optional one.

#20 8 years ago

Got a mansion picture!! Looks decent!! Other than being dirty. Going in the next hour or so to hopefully get a good deal. ha!

IMG_5842.jpgIMG_5842.jpg

#21 8 years ago

Well she's home! Paid a little more than I aimed but not above $5500. Looked better in person and will clean-up nice. Excited to get LED's and other mods down the road. Thanks again everybody!!

The Harbor Freight table cart worked great too!

IMG_5843.jpgIMG_5843.jpg

IMG_5846.jpgIMG_5846.jpg

#22 8 years ago

Wear looks minimal and should clean up nicely

#23 8 years ago

Congrats on your purchase!!
Enjoy!!

#24 8 years ago

Congrats! My first pin was a TAF as well. Please take a look at my mods, they will really brighten up your game. BTW they are on sale this weekend too

#25 8 years ago

Congrats, and TAF also got me hooked as my 1st.....Yours looks pretty nice from what I can see......a nice cleanup and enjoy!!!...mark

#26 8 years ago

I think it was my first high end if not DMD pin. Great condition. But paying $2,200 for a pin? That was huge. But it was also a long time ago.

I hope you enjoy yours as long and as much as I have mine.

#27 8 years ago

Just curious as I went to look at one over the weekend; is the magnet overlay above the mansion pretty much the standard on all the playfields? And what mylar was put down by the factory? This one had it over the mansion and towards the flippers. Wasn't very flat, could hear it as I ran my fingers over it and could see a crease in it also.

Passed on it because of this, but wondering how picky I need to be.

#28 8 years ago

If there is a magnet decal then it's there to cover burn damage. Not standard at all.

With regard to factory mylar:

Quoted from sc204:From the factory there was a piece in the pop bumper area and I believe one in front of the graveyard scoop.

Full playfield mylar was available separately. Mine has the full playfield mylar but it was applied some time after being in service in response to early signs of mansion insert wear. Mansion inserts commonly become raised/dropped which creates unevenness that is exacerbated by mylar.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Red Oak, TX
$ 44.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark
Shooter rods
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
$ 53.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 67.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts
Led
$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens
Toys/Add-ons
12,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Las Vegas, NV
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 26.99
Playfield - Other
Lee's Parts
Other
$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser
Pinball Machine
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
Boards
Slap Save Creations
Boards
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
Toys/Add-ons
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive
$ 119.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Loop Combo Pinball
Toys/Add-ons
$ 38.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Various novelties
$ 1,059.00
Flipper Parts
Mircoplayfields
Flipper parts
€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods
Toys/Add-ons
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pensacola, FL
$ 27.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/addams-family-buying-advice and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.