DSC_0064.JPG
DSC_0066.JPG
DSC_0061.JPG
DSC_0059.JPG
DSC_0056.JPG
DSC_0055.JPG
DSC_0057.JPG
#1 10 years ago

EDITED ORIGINAL POST TO REMOVE THE FIXED PROBLEMS...

I picked up my Addams Family today (thanks EABundy!).

I was forced to remove the backbox to navigate a very tight and narrow corner. I labeled everything... but a few labels fell off, and I'm left uncertain where a few of these things go...

2) This is J132 if I labeled everything right. It looks different on the schematic-- is it miswired? Where does the pulled out wire go? photo(64).JPGphoto(64).JPG

4) Lastly, on the DMD... I can't find anything that plugs into "thing" Is that part of the loom, or would it have been seperate? It *was* attached, I just don't know where it ended up... photo(66).JPGphoto(66).JPG

#2 10 years ago

The four black wire one should match up with the cable you have at the top with the coupler on it.

The display should have a big chunky cable that goes up to J604. It doesn't go anywhere else, so I guess you could have left it off without noticing holes, but it's usually in lots of clips. (Photo included)

image-6.jpgimage-6.jpg

J132 shows only having one wire in it at position 2 coloured Violet/Red. There is a Red/Grey wire at junction 133 position 9, so it would be worth checking if that is present, but it looks too thick a wire for that.

Hopefully someone will be able to look in their machine for you later and confirm that one.

#3 10 years ago
Quoted from Muppet_Man:

The four black wire one should match up with the cable you have at the top with the coupler on it.

Indeed! Thanks! It had gotten snarled up in the wiring loom and was on the opposite side of the backbox! I took care of it.

Quoted from Muppet_Man:

The display should have a big chunky cable that goes up to J604. It doesn't go anywhere else, so I guess you could have left it off without noticing holes, but it's usually in lots of clips. (Photo included)

Arrggghhh!!! I don't see this anywhere!

Can anyone confirm if the other end of this is J204? I don't have anything plugged into that either... so it may be laying in the bottom of the cabinet.

Quoted from Muppet_Man:

J132 shows only having one wire in it at position 2 coloured Violet/Red. There is a Red/Grey wire at junction 133 position 9, so it would be worth checking if that is present, but it looks too thick a wire for that.
Hopefully someone will be able to look in their machine for you later and confirm that one.

Thanks. Where are you seeing colors on the schematic? Dumb question (and be gentle... I'm new at this!)-- when you position 2, are you reading that L-R, or based on a schematic position?

#4 10 years ago

Ok... a few hours sleep and I'm thinking much more clearly. I think I'm in over my head here...

I went over everything again, and it looks like I'm almost there... I have no leftover plugs that I can find, and yet nothing plugged into the following:

J128
J129
J131
J204
J206
J208
and "Greed" on the DMD.
Starting to get really frustrated...

I also need a photo of the orientation of J124.

#5 10 years ago

I am available and have a TAF. I have no plug in J124

#6 10 years ago

Here are some pics.

#7 10 years ago

There is nothing connected in J124 on my Taf.

Addams_013.jpgAddams_013.jpg

#8 10 years ago

And for the dmd

Addams_018.jpgAddams_018.jpg

#9 10 years ago

I have nothing at

Connector 134 has the red/grey wire at position 9.

I am around so if you need pics let me know.
Keith

#10 10 years ago

and a last one, pm if you want more pictures

Addams_012.jpgAddams_012.jpg

#11 10 years ago
Quoted from drsfmd:

...."Thanks. Where are you seeing colors on the schematic? Dumb question (and be gentle... I'm new at this!)-- when you position 2, are you reading that L-R, or based on a schematic position?"

It's looking like the evening crowd are now in and some TAF owners are sorting you out which is great.

On the wiring, it's not a dumb question at all. If you don't know, it never hurts to ask. If you look where you plug the connectors in, you will see one end on the board will be marked with a small 1. This is the end to start counting from, so you know what position number your checking on.
In fact if you look on Kosmo's excellent photo above you can see the small number 1 on each connector place on the board.

Good luck and enjoy your Pin.

#12 10 years ago

Okay we're up and running! I have a single wire that is not connected to anything but doesn't seem to be affecting play. I have some work to do on Thing because it appears someone changed out screws at some point for screws that were too small and the holes that hold the assembly in are stripped. On my way back from the hardware store right now, I'll post a picture of the single wire later.

Thank you for all of your assistance.

#13 10 years ago

If the loose wire is the one in your pic above Red/Grey, Check connector 134 position 9 (far left of connector)

Keith

#14 10 years ago

Thanks Keith- that is the wire, and I will check it when I get home.

What does that one do? The game seems to be working perfectly otherwise.

#15 10 years ago

It appears to be a lamp circuit.

It looks like it could be J135 - 9 My connectors were in the same position as in Kosmos's picture. But in the schematic J135 appears to be the connector with the single wire going to it in location 9.
FYI - I swapped my connectors (J134 & J135) just to check and it does not appear to make a difference.

Keith

#16 10 years ago

Thanks. I'll play with it tomorrow (too busy playing the game right now! ). Could it be the left "power" lightning bolt? The bulb tests fine, but doesn't light in game play. It's the only thing I can find that doesn't light.

#17 10 years ago

Nope. Someone just posted the same issue with that wire. Went down and verified, J135 pin 9 is for the start button lamp.

Have fun. great game!

Keith

#18 10 years ago
Quoted from kpull:

Nope. Someone just posted the same issue with that wire. Went down and verified, J135 pin 9 is for the start button lamp.
Have fun. great game!
Keith

A belated follow up-- you were absolutely correct, and thank you!

The end of the wire was all mashed up (apparently had already been stuck into the hole before, and came out again.

I trimmed the end of the wire and tinned it. I couldn't figure out how to remove the pin from the connector, so I bent the plastic edge back just enough to expose metal, and I soldered the tinned wire in. Bent the edge of the plastic back, and reinstalled it... you'd never know a repair was made.

Worked great. Thanks again.

2 months later
#19 10 years ago

This thread has been a big help! I too had to remove the head from my TAF to get it in my basement. Unfortunately the door is about 1" too narrow to make it through. Well I have done this for various pins and I took pics just like I normally do but my Android has been sluggish lately so much that my pics are now being affected (need to wipe it for sure). Anyway, the result was a much longer than normal reassembly and I am left with questions about the pinLED fliptronics II board as J806/J906 and J901 are vacant and one spare connector that is a 6 pin connector near the bottom right of the power driver board it's the smaller size connector as far as pin spacing goes. The connector pinout is:

from pin 1 (right to left):

black/green
unused
black/blue
black/purple
black/gray
orange

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

#20 10 years ago

Take a look at these pictures, i would say J806

Addams 020.jpgAddams 020.jpg Addams 008.jpgAddams 008.jpg Addams 021.jpgAddams 021.jpg
#21 10 years ago

First of all thank you! So I moved the connector J806/J906 which is labeled EOS switch. The pic here show's all my connections. If that looks good I think I am ready to give it a whirl.

IMG_20131204_135950_125.jpgIMG_20131204_135950_125.jpg

#22 10 years ago

And another one for you to double check.

Addams 007.jpgAddams 007.jpg
#23 10 years ago

From what i can see on your picture, i'm not sure the connector with the two blue and the yellow/black one is located at the right place. Could you please double check this ! (Bottom right)

Or did you disconnect the j805 connector and hide it on the left behind the gray cables ?

#24 10 years ago

Hmm it looks like the connector on top of the right side of the fliptronics board is the 6 pin that I don't have connected at this point but that is way down on the bottom right corner of the backbox. Does it's pinout match this:

from pin 1 (right to left from your pic from top to bottom):

black/green
unused
black/blue
black/purple
black/gray
orange

#25 10 years ago

and if it turns out it is in that connector what J# is it in and what J# is the one below in? thanks!

#26 10 years ago

Yes it does.

Sans titre.jpgSans titre.jpg
#27 10 years ago

Awesome thanks! Not sure how the heck it ended up where it is.

#28 10 years ago

Well I thought I had it all figured out. Plugged it in. I see lights on every PCB except the pinLED Fliptronics board (4 lights by fuses didn't light up) and the DMD did not light up but the game started lights on the pf and sound. Fuses are all good still after power up. Back to the drawing board.

#29 10 years ago

Did you reconnect the ribbon cable that is disconnected on your picture ?

#30 10 years ago

yes as well as the two other connectors.

#31 10 years ago

Also the row of lights under the DMD are not lighting up

#32 10 years ago

I would check two things, the first, check the connectors to be sure that every one of them is located at the right place on every board, and the second check that none of them is misaligned, check every one of them with a flashlight.

If you did remove any ribbon cables, check them as well for misalignment and make sure that the red side is where it should.

#33 10 years ago

The row of lights under the dmd ("thing") is its own separate wiring harness. It connects from the "thing" light board to the driver board. I had to make one from scratch, as mine was missing. I will not be near the machine until this weekend, upon which I can take a photo if you still need it by then.

#34 10 years ago

From one of my earlier posts:

I know this is a long shot, but I am looking for part #H-15236-C. It is a wire harness that runs from the driver board to the speaker panel (to light up the T*H*I*N*G lights on TAF).

#35 10 years ago

Yeah I noticed that the row of THING lights went to the driver board. Kosmo - I checked all the connections and unfortunately that's not the problem although it's still possible I have something in the wrong spot somewhere but from all the pics I have looked at everything looks fine. I am going to have to check voltage tomorrow. Thanks for your help.

#36 10 years ago

Some more pictures for tdpin.

DSC_0047.JPGDSC_0047.JPG DSC_0048.JPGDSC_0048.JPG DSC_0049.JPGDSC_0049.JPG DSC_0050.JPGDSC_0050.JPG DSC_0051.JPGDSC_0051.JPG
#37 10 years ago

Another batch.

DSC_0057.JPGDSC_0057.JPG DSC_0052.JPGDSC_0052.JPG DSC_0054.JPGDSC_0054.JPG DSC_0055.JPGDSC_0055.JPG DSC_0056.JPGDSC_0056.JPG
#38 10 years ago

Some more...

DSC_0066.JPGDSC_0066.JPG DSC_0059.JPGDSC_0059.JPG DSC_0061.JPGDSC_0061.JPG DSC_0063.JPGDSC_0063.JPG DSC_0064.JPGDSC_0064.JPG DSC_0065.JPGDSC_0065.JPG
#39 10 years ago

And the last ones.

DSC_0072.JPGDSC_0072.JPG DSC_0074.JPGDSC_0074.JPG DSC_0067.JPGDSC_0067.JPG DSC_0068.JPGDSC_0068.JPG DSC_0069.JPGDSC_0069.JPG DSC_0070.JPGDSC_0070.JPG
#40 10 years ago

Kosmo, those are AWESOME! Thank you so much! I am going to use these to do another walk through. I will update in a bit. Thanks again!

#41 10 years ago

Okay so I went through and the only thing I found was J116 and J117 on the power driver board were reversed. I fired up, still no DMD, thing lights are working. No lights on fliptronics but flippers work so not too worried. Game functions fine minus DMD. I ran out of time so didn't check voltage out to the DMD that's next. The LED on the DMD driver board is lit.

#42 10 years ago
Quoted from drsfmd:

I trimmed the end of the wire and tinned it. I couldn't figure out how to remove the pin from the connector, so I bent the plastic edge back just enough to expose metal, and I soldered the tinned wire in. Bent the edge of the plastic back, and reinstalled it... you'd never know a repair was made.

You do not remove the pin, you use this punch tool.

PUNCH TOOL - IDC T HANDLE FOR .156"
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/77-IDC156

PUNCH TOOL - IDC T HANDLE FOR .100
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/77-IDC

detail.jpgdetail.jpg

#43 10 years ago

Okay so I am embarrassed but relieved to say that it was the ribbon cable running to the DMD. I have been using ribbon cables since the 80s but my eyes tricked me as I thought I saw 1 on the other side of the PCB (time for lasik or glasses!). So it's playing but I do have check switch F7 UL flipper eos and check switch F5 UR flipper eos errors which weren't there when I play tested the game before I packed it up. I found some write ups on checking these errors but since I am hoping/thinking this is a connection issue so was wondering if anyone had an idea of if perhaps I have a connection backwards or something simple. Thanks again for all the help!

#44 10 years ago

Did you rebuild the flippers recently? That is end of stroke switch errors on your upper left and upper right flippers. Flip the playfield up and look there should be a leaf spring on each one. Just sitting there there should be a small gap in the switch, and it should close when the flipper is fully extended. If that is ok, then I would check for a loose common wire.

#45 10 years ago

I had EOS errors on my TAF and it was just a loose connector on the fliptronics board not registering the switch closures. Throw the game into switch edge test and close all 4 of the flipper EOS switches and see if they register.
Check the connector on the right side of the fliptronics board in the UL corner of the backbox.

RussMyers

#46 10 years ago

Flippers weren't recently rebuilt. The game was moved and at that time the head was removed due to a narrow doorway. These errors occurred after the head was put back on and the game was setup which is why I am leaning towards it being a ground or loose connector. Thanks!

#47 10 years ago

I started a new topic since for the EOS errors (link below). Thanks again for all the help here! I am sure this thread will help many to come!

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/taf-eos-errors-after-reinstalling-the-backbox#post-1297684

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 159.00
$ 62.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods

$ 39.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts

$ 67.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields

$ 29.99
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™

Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

20,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Oakdale, CA
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

26,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Auckland, NZ
$ 145.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens

Machine - For Sale
Vancouver, BC
$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
Avid Creations Wireforms

$ 25.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts

$ 1,159.00
$ 65.00
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
arcade-cabinets.com

$ 79.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Arcade Upkeep

$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop

$ 28.99
Playfield - Protection
Lee's Parts

$ 140.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
pinballmod

10,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 180.00
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/addams-family-backbox-wiring-help and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.