(Topic ID: 233156)

Addams Family Automatic Plunger Mod

By MercuryInc

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mercuryinc.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 5 years ago

I'm wondering if anyone has come across, or made and automatic plunger for The Addams Family? #The Addams Family

If not, I'd kind of like to see if there is anyone else interested and maybe use this space as a place to collect info and ideas.

So far, I've only thought about this and not really done any work, but here is what I've come up with so far.

I'd like to maintain the original plunger and have an auto plunger (like the way Stern's Iron Maiden works). That way skill shots can still be made, and if someone walks away from the machine it won't continuously search for the ball.

We'll need hardware and software to control it.

Hardware:
To make things simple, I think reusing a Terminator 2 plunger for the hardware should be doable. The machines are from the same basic time frame, and have a lot of similar parts.
Need to choose an output to control the solenoid.

Software:
Not really sure where to start here, so I'll list the requirements, but need to start working on the "how to" so a rom can be made/patched.

Rom needs a new setting to set the time the ball can sit on the plunger switch before its automatically kicked into play.
Rom needs to be modified so ball seek doesn't occur when the ball is sitting on the plunger switch.
Rom needs to be modified to include the automatic plunger in the ball seek process (in case of failure of the plunger switch)

Anyway, that's what I've got for now. Any thoughts, or guidance (especially in the software end) would be appreciated.

#3 5 years ago

Thanks @lurch. I think the hardware is no problem for me, and normally the code wouldn't be either, but I really haven't gone to deep into moding roms and code, just the electronics so far. Any pointers or references in making or modifying custom roms?

My really goal is to avoid walk offs, since this particular machine is in an office breakroom, and a walk off can leave the machine searching for balls clear through a weekend...

3 weeks later
#6 5 years ago

lurch this is exactly what i'm looking for. Not afraid of Assembly, just need a jumping off point for addresses,checksum, pointers and the like.

pintechev part of the goal is to to prevent wear and tare from ball search, and yes, the lane switch works, but for some reason, the game occasionally goes into search mode anyway (mine does at least). An additional underlying reason I like to have a ball timeout is to prevent people from "pausing" their game for an hour while they eat lunch. Not a huge issue, but its frustrating when you want to play a quick game, and someone's left a ball hanging. You've got to plunge all their balls before you can get started.

This is certainly a minor inconvenience, but also seems like a simple upgrade once I get me head wrapped around the assembly.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 95.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens
Toys/Add-ons
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Boards
PinSound
Boards
10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Roselle, IL
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Pensacola, FL
$ 29.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos LLC
Decorations
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
Armor and blades
$ 29.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
$ 28.99
Playfield - Protection
Lee's Parts
Protection
$ 41.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Interactive
Machine - For Sale
Pleasant Hill, MO
€ 47.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
PPmods
Toys/Add-ons
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
Decals
$ 35.00
Various Other Swag
JK Pinball
Various other swag
$ 1.29
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Daddio's 3D Printed Mods
Toys/Add-ons
16,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Chicago, IL
Boards
Slap Save Creations
Boards
$ 399.00
Cabinet - Decals
Mircoplayfields
Decals
$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound
Electronics
$ 159.00
Cabinet Parts
Pinball Haus
Cabinet parts
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 29.99
Electronics
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Electronics
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Twisted Tokens
Toys/Add-ons
$ 15.00
Pinball Machine
Uberlaser
Pinball Machine
$ 24.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC
Various novelties
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
$ 54.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
Shooter rods
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider mercuryinc.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/addams-family-automatic-plunger-mod?tu=mercuryinc and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.