Topic Stats

• 6 posts
  • 3 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 23 days ago by MercuryInc
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 47 days ago

I'm wondering if anyone has come across, or made and automatic plunger for The Addams Family? #The Addams Family

If not, I'd kind of like to see if there is anyone else interested and maybe use this space as a place to collect info and ideas.

So far, I've only thought about this and not really done any work, but here is what I've come up with so far.

I'd like to maintain the original plunger and have an auto plunger (like the way Stern's Iron Maiden works). That way skill shots can still be made, and if someone walks away from the machine it won't continuously search for the ball.

We'll need hardware and software to control it.

Hardware:
To make things simple, I think reusing a Terminator 2 plunger for the hardware should be doable. The machines are from the same basic time frame, and have a lot of similar parts.
Need to choose an output to control the solenoid.

Software:
Not really sure where to start here, so I'll list the requirements, but need to start working on the "how to" so a rom can be made/patched.

Rom needs a new setting to set the time the ball can sit on the plunger switch before its automatically kicked into play.
Rom needs to be modified so ball seek doesn't occur when the ball is sitting on the plunger switch.
Rom needs to be modified to include the automatic plunger in the ball seek process (in case of failure of the plunger switch)

Anyway, that's what I've got for now. Any thoughts, or guidance (especially in the software end) would be appreciated.

#2 47 days ago

Shouldnt be too hard. You could use the plunger assembly from sttng/t2/tz and modify accordingly. You could even borrow most of the code from tz with little or no modification. Ive thought about this myself on other games like roadshow. Would bring a new dynamic to the game.

#3 44 days ago

Thanks lurch. I think the hardware is no problem for me, and normally the code wouldn't be either, but I really haven't gone to deep into moding roms and code, just the electronics so far. Any pointers or references in making or modifying custom roms?

My really goal is to avoid walk offs, since this particular machine is in an office breakroom, and a walk off can leave the machine searching for balls clear through a weekend...

#4 44 days ago
Quoted from MercuryInc:

My really goal is to avoid walk offs, since this particular machine is in an office breakroom, and a walk off can leave the machine searching for balls clear through a weekend...

Interesting. You could just set a timeout for the ball search.

However, there are numerous ways to break down the ROMS for editing. Unfortunately, its programmed in Assembly so its not real well documented. You could start with "Hex-Rays" IDA PRO. That said, here is a good reference on the subject....

https://www.maddes.net/pinball/wpc_debugging.htm

#5 44 days ago
Quoted from MercuryInc:

Thanks lurch. I think the hardware is no problem for me, and normally the code wouldn't be either, but I really haven't gone to deep into moding roms and code, just the electronics so far. Any pointers or references in making or modifying custom roms?

Put the game on an internet enabeled smart plug and turn it off each evening at 6 remotely.

If the ball is in the shooter lane and the shooter lane switch works, why would it go into ball search?

3 weeks later
#6 23 days ago

lurch this is exactly what i'm looking for. Not afraid of Assembly, just need a jumping off point for addresses,checksum, pointers and the like.

pintechev part of the goal is to to prevent wear and tare from ball search, and yes, the lane switch works, but for some reason, the game occasionally goes into search mode anyway (mine does at least). An additional underlying reason I like to have a ball timeout is to prevent people from "pausing" their game for an hour while they eat lunch. Not a huge issue, but its frustrating when you want to play a quick game, and someone's left a ball hanging. You've got to plunge all their balls before you can get started.

This is certainly a minor inconvenience, but also seems like a simple upgrade once I get me head wrapped around the assembly.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 159.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
€ 3.70
$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 14.95
$ 20.00
Electronics
Yorktown Parts and Equip
$ 16.00
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball
$ 50.00
$ 38.99
Lighting - Interactive
Lee's Parts
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 17.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
BK Pinball
€ 18.95
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Navarre, OH
$ 24.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts
Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 8.50
Lighting - Led
Bright Lights Pinball
$ 25.00
Playfield - Decals
Metal-Mods
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside