(Topic ID: 236249)

Add tilt "warning" option to Bally 6803 game

By newbieinKC

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

#1 5 years ago

I want to add the ability to "lightly" tilt my Eight Ball Champ once per ball, which has a plumb bob tilt switch, ball tilt, and two slam tilt switches. It currently tilts the first time any of the switches close. I figure there are a couple of elegant ways to accomplish my goal, but I wonder if my google-fu is broken and someone else has figured it out for me. Some modern games have the ability to give a warning for a plumb-bob tilt, if allowed by the machine owner. I would like to add this ability to my machine. That, and I believe that a little bit of bumping is part of pinball and we all could use a second chance if we get a little bit over-zealous in the excitement of a huge scoring opportunity.

First, I suppose it is possible to modify the ROM for the game. I haven't been able to find a lot of ROM customization help for 1985-era Bally games. I suspect that I would have a hard time reverse-engineering the code and re-writing it. I may have slept at a Holiday Inn Express recently, but I am not a programmer. I would need something like a C++/FORTRAN/BASIC/PASCAL base program to edit/re-compile in order to consider pulling such a thing off. I don't think Bally released their un-compiled programs.

Second, and more likely, is to use an Arduino rig to run some code that detects the plumb bob switch, buzzes for ~2 seconds once per ball, and then closes a relay that re-connects the plumb bob sensor and allows the machine to tilt after your one warning. I would leave the slam and ball tilts intact so that it is still illegal to violently bump the machine. The slam tilts end the game, and the ball/plumb-bob tilts end the ball and skips the bonus (which is where most of the points are scored). I am 100% confident that I can program an Arduino to accomplish my goal, but I don't really want to permanently dedicate a rig to the task if there is a more simple solution. It would be ironic but also a little bit "cool" to use an Arduino to perform a simple task to add functionality to a 30+ year old 6803 board. I just might hook it up for a few weeks, simply for the satisfaction.

Whaddya think?

#3 5 years ago

Nope. Seems like more work then its worth. Adjust the tilt bob and learn the feel of it.

#4 5 years ago

That sucks. I know Strange Science has a Tilt Warning Option. They must have added it a year after EBC was made.

#5 5 years ago
Quoted from Cdemuro:

That sucks. I know Strange Science has a Tilt Warning Option. They must have added it a year after EBC was made.

Strange science is a alphanumeric display EBC is not.

#6 5 years ago

I like this idea as a sort of plug in mod that would be universal for any game without a tilt warning. I think it could easily be accomplished without a micro controller, just a fairly simple circuit I think. The tricky part will be how to tap into the game to know when a new ball is served. Anyway, cool idea!

#7 5 years ago

I think for ebc you can simply just detect if a new ball is served since there’s no multiball but some games might be a little trickier.

#8 5 years ago

centaur had tilt warning and it was on the earlier -35 system. so does the later 6803 games like special force. flipping through the EBC manual... looks like no options for tilt warning....

they had it in 1981 and I guess did not bring back till 1985-86. Could it be in response to system 11 games with tilt warnings?

#9 5 years ago

Black belt has tilt warnings as well

#10 5 years ago

I triple-checked my registers for a tilt warning setting in EBC. Nothing available.

I figured out how to do it with an Arduino. I would use the outball switch to reset after every drain, run a program that sets off a buzzer for one or two seconds after first tilt bob switch indication then close a relay to "reconnect" the tilt bob for the remainder of the ball. Pretty simple thing to do, considering I think I can figure out how program an Arduino to autonomously fly a drone to deliver packages for Amazon.

I could probably do it with a more simple circuit, but I would have a hard time figuring out how to let the plumb bob ricochet a couple of times after the first bump and only provide a short buzz indication. I think I need something with a mechanism to "clock" the circuit.

There is a 120V AC plug in my cabinet, so it is pretty easy to power something.

It looks like I can probably make it happen for about $20-25 with an Arduino (those things continue to drop in price), so I think I will. If I could figure out how to hook into the "too much english" speech in the Squawk and Talk instead of the buzzer, that would be awesome. I am guessing it can be done.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Pinball Shark

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 32.00
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply

$ 33.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/add-tilt-warning-option-to-bally-6803-game?hl=wolv3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.