10 days ago

Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 7 days ago by rolf_martin_062
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

0Hang-Glider-Work-02 (resized).jpg

#1 10 days ago

I have a Williams and Gottlieb cabinet and neither machine has diodes on the solenoids. My question is, should I add them? Logic would state that they’ve been this way for 40 years, but I noticed them on other machines and just wondered what the consensus was

Thanks
    Chris

#2 10 days ago

The coils flyback diodes are still there, they were just moved to the driver board or another location; the benefit of this is it there is no longer anyway to miswire your coils, which would damage to the drive transistor. Even though I personally disagree with this move from an engineering standpoint, I feel its best to just leave it as-is rather than adding the diodes.

#3 10 days ago

If coil has one, yes when replacing a coil put a diode on.

If coil doesn't have one, don't put one on, it's on a board somewhere.

With the exception of a flipper coil, if vibration broke them off and you find them laying in the game.

Manufacturers started leaving diodes off of two lug coils so if you replaced a coil, it didn't matter which side the wires go back on.

LTG : )

#4 10 days ago

Boards, diodes? Isn't this the EM subforum?

#5 10 days ago
    Quoted from LTG:

If coil has one, yes when replacing a coil put a diode on.
    If coil doesn't have one, don't put one on, it's on a board somewhere.

On my Getaway there was a diode on the kickback coil that looked out of place. For some reason, the plunger didn't always return. I knew most WPC coils had diodes on the board, so I snipped it off and it worked fine after that.

Quoted from jrpinball:

I have seen diodes or other solid state components on older EMS. Fun Park was one of them. Perhaps to work as some kind of delay feature. But they are few and far between.

#6 10 days ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

ACK! I'm a TDM guy...how did I even get here?

#7 10 days ago
    Quoted from o-din:

I have seen diodes or other solid state components on older EMS. Fun Park was one of them. Perhaps to work as some kind of delay feature. But they are few and far between.

Yes, but not on any coils. I recently made a boo boo when replacing an EM Bally coil. Apparently the one I put in was one I had from a parted out "Future Spa".
    After I installed it, the fuse kept blowing out. It took me half a minute to realize that I forgot to clip off the diode!

#8 10 days ago

On Fun Park it was a series of three solid state components I believe.

When you hit the spinners it would score as it should, but would add 50 points once the spinner finally stopped. I believe those SS components had to do with the delay required so it would not do that until it did stop spinning. The game has since left, so there is no way to verify that now.

#9 10 days ago

Yes. Same thing on several other games. "Spin A Card"/"Hearts and Spades", "Card Trix"/"Flip A Card", and a few others. Capacitor, diode, resistor delay circuit.

#10 10 days ago
    Quoted from jrpinball:

Yes, but not on any coils. I recently made a boo boo when replacing an EM Bally coil. Apparently the one I put in was one I had from a parted out "Future Spa".
    After I installed it, the fuse kept blowing out. It took me half a minute to realize that I forgot to clip off the diode!

Some EMs with DC coils do have diodes

#11 7 days ago

Hi Flyboybuster +
    I do not know SS-Pins - in an EM-Pin I would look up in the schematics. See the JPG - Bally Hang Glider is one pin that uses a diode on the (Thumper) DC-Bumpers --- strange: But not on the DC-Slingshots.
    Of course - 4 diodes are there when a Bridge-Rectifier is in the pin for to actuate DC-Bumpers as a Bridge-Rectifier is built with four diodes - the capacitor mounted on the Bridge-Rectifier is used to somewhat flatten the DC-Current.
    Just one diode used is a "cheap, rather lousy way" to get DC-Current (pulses, shots of --- but DC) - I know these used together with an capacitor then that wiring acts like a (car) battery running empty making the DC-Relay to stay pulling a bit longer (deactivating after some time has elapsed). Greetings Rolf

0Hang-Glider-Work-02 (resized).jpg
    Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
    $ 64.00
    $ 69.99
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    Lighting - Led
    Comet Pinball
    $ 6,995.00
    Pinball Machine
    Flip N Out Pinball
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    £ 49.00
    Lighting - Led
    PinballToys
    Eproms
    Matt's Basement Arcade
    $ 89.99
    Cabinet - Toppers
    Id Rather Play Pinball
    $ 11,500.00
    $ 48.00
    Cabinet - Other
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 159.99
    Lighting - Other
    Lighted Pinball Mods
    $ 42.00
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    $ 7,999.00
    Pinball Machine
    Nitro Pinball Shop
    $ 32.25
    Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
    The MOD Couple
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    Cabinet - Shooter Rods
    ModFather Pinball Mods
    $ 137.00
    $ 60.00
    Gameroom - Decorations
    The Pinball Vault
    $ 999.00
    $ 35.00
    Cabinet - Decals
    Pinball Haus
    € 8.40

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside