You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

Connection (resized).png
SPIKE2_Audio (resized).JPG
#1 2 years ago

hey guys,

so I want to upgrade the Spike 2 System (GOTG) with an amp and new Speakers.

I hope you can confirm the way i want to go, so that i don't fry the Node Board.

Here is how I would approach the cabling

Thank you for your help!

SPIKE2_Audio (resized).JPGSPIKE2_Audio (resized).JPG
#2 2 years ago

OK but where are you drawing power from for the amp?

Have you considered going with a pinwoofer setup? Its amplified and all the wiring is already nice and figured out for you.

#3 2 years ago

I'll have a installed a EU-Powerplug (230V) behind the powerswitch in all my machines. Also have a MeanWell RS-75-12 (75W 12V 6A) lying around.

The whole setup is round about $140 all incl. (depending on Subwoofer and Speakers). I also love to work on something

#4 2 years ago

Following

2 weeks later
#5 2 years ago

Any update?

#6 2 years ago

Update

So I added a cheap AMP (lepy lp-168s) today but with a little changes.

For power (230V) I found a "Clamp-Connector" in the Powerbox, between a bunch off cables leading to the power supply with unused "Ports" (phase and neutral conductor). You just have to push the Powercord in properly until the lock pinches them.

I also installed a high-/lowlevel converter between speakerout and AMP.

I used the existing Speakerwires and only needed new a RCA-Connector Cable.

I recommend a 2.1 AMP board with a highpass, cause the Bass comes now from all Speakers. I turned the Bass down for Speakers.

I'm fine with the result. The sound now is more voluminous and the bass really pushes.

I can do later some pictures, but this was really easy to install.
Connection (resized).pngConnection (resized).png

#7 2 years ago

Next I will try a 2.1-Channel AMP (TPA3116D2) with a 19V - 24V power supply.

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from MightyGrave:

Next I will try a 2.1-Channel AMP (TPA3116D2) with a 19V - 24V power supply.

I’ve got one of these sitting around I had planned to use. It’s basically the exact same amp heighway used in their games. ebay.com link: Lepy LP 838 20W Mini HiFi BASS 2 1 Car Audio Amplifier For Mobile PC Auto Sliver

#9 2 years ago

I planned on using this for the input from the cab speaker. This is about as far as I got heh, just to busy to mess w/ stuff anymore. https://www.amazon.com/AILTECK-RCA-Cable-Audio-Adapter/dp/B08DJCBLTD

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from MightyGrave:

Update
So I added a cheap AMP (lepy lp-168s) today but with a little changes.
For power (230V) I found a "Clamp-Connector" in the Powerbox, between a bunch off cables leading to the power supply with unused "Ports" (phase and neutral conductor). You just have to push the Powercord in properly until the lock pinches them.
I also installed a high-/lowlevel converter between speakerout and AMP.
I used the existing Speakerwires and only needed new a RCA-Connector Cable.
I recommend a 2.1 AMP board with a highpass, cause the Bass comes now from all Speakers. I turned the Bass down for Speakers.
I'm fine with the result. The sound now is more voluminous and the bass really pushes.
I can do later some pictures, but this was really easy to install.
[quoted image]

Is that a High/Low adapter, or just a wiring adapter? The High/Low is made to reduce the higher voltage required for speaker coils (up to ~10volts) down to 1V Maximum RCA Line levels. These high/low adapters are essentially 10-to-1 voltage reducers. It's MUCH better to use a full High/Low adapter or risk blowing out the amplifier. Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/Converter-BOSS-Audio-B65N-Systems/dp/B000LP4RMQ/ref=asc_df_B000LP4RMQ/

#11 2 years ago

Next I will try a 2.1-Channel AMPs (TPA3116D2) with a 19V - 24V power supply.

Quoted from Markharris2000:

Is that a High/Low adapter, or just a wiring adapter? The High/Low is made to reduce the higher voltage required for speaker coils (up to ~10volts) down to 1V Maximum RCA Line levels. These high/low adapters are essentially 10-to-1 voltage reducers. It's MUCH better to use a full High/Low adapter or risk blowing out the amplifier. Something like this:
amazon.com link »

It's a full high low adapter and works fine but you are right a full high low adapter is needed to not risking a blown amp

#12 2 years ago
Quoted from tilted81:

I planned on using this for the input from the cab speaker. This is about as far as I got heh, just to busy to mess w/ stuff anymore. amazon.com link »

This will work if you amp has the right input. If not you'll need probably an adapter/converter

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from tilted81:

I’ve got one of these sitting around I had planned to use. It’s basically the exact same amp heighway used in their games. ebay.com link: Lepy LP 838 20W Mini HiFi BASS 2 1 Car Audio Amplifier For Mobile PC Auto Sliver

The lepy Amps are basically the same. They are good, but a filter for lower frequencies at the Backboxspeakers will help against the deep Bass. That deep deep bass should only and always come from the cabinet

1 week later
#14 2 years ago

I have spent some time looking at the low end car amps and the Blaupunkt AMP1604 stood out at $65 (here in the US anyway) https://www.amazon.com/Blaupunkt-4-Channel-Full-Range-Amplifier-AMP1604/dp/B07Q28CNSN/ref=sr_1_1

It has speaker level input and separate high pass and low pass options. As mentioned it will need it's own 12v power supply. I would guess for pinball volume, a fanless 10A unit should do the trick. The only downside is that is on the large side.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 6,999.99
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

Machine - For Sale
West Chicago, IL
$ 130.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Dijohn

6,495 (Firm)
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

6,750 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
Berkeley Township, NJ
$ 6,999.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 15.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 9.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 22.50
$ 19.95
$ 24.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 29.99
Playfield - Decals
Cento Creations

$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 5.00
Lighting - Backbox
Gameroom Mods

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 6,995.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 24.00
Playfield - Protection
Pinhead mods

$ 27.95
Playfield - Protection
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

€ 99.00
Lighting - Under Cabinet
Watssapen shop

$ 125.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
G-Money Mods

$ 49.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/add-amplifier-to-spike2?hl=mightygrave and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.