Topic Stats

• 10 posts
  • 6 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 months ago by Tonup69
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

#1 5 months ago

Hey everyone. I am digging into my newest pinball - a beautiful 1961 Gottlieb Aloha which is really dirty, but in pretty good shape. One thing I need to do, however, is replace the janky power cord someone installed with electrical tape and also add an on/off toggle switch. Now before we get all into electrical safety and lectures about ground wires - my house was built in 1905 and none of the outlets downstairs are grounded. Even if I replaced the plug with a three prong, I would have to use and adapter to plug it in. That said, I would like to know how to properly hook up a new two prong plug to the transformer and how to wire in the on/off switch. Also, it looks like this machine has no reset button either - do people just turn them on and off to start a new game in free play mode?

Thanks in advance,

LTR

#2 5 months ago

If one day you decide to sell the game or the house a 3 pin grounded plug on a new cable is the way to go. Use a 3pin (with ground) x 2pin adapter for your current house. A toggle switch is a smart safe way to set up your 60's games.

#3 5 months ago

You could just use a remote switchable power cord/bar. Some have a remote, to press, to get power on and off to the game. Some have manual switches.

There should be a 'Replay Button' on the coin door.

#4 5 months ago
Quoted from Darcy:

You could just use a remote switchable power cord/bar. Some have a remote, to press, to get power on and off to the game. Some have manual switches.

It may be a good option, but I have the game torn down a bit now so I think it's also a good time to put in the switch. I'm just looking for a schematic or something - even basic wiring diagram - that someone who has done this on an early machine could provide. Just don't want to hook up the switch to the wrong lead or something.

#5 5 months ago

I think that PinWiki has something like that in the EM Section. Possibly on Pinside a, 'Vids Guide to replacing the Power cord'.

#6 5 months ago

You can replace your non-grounded receptacles with GFCI type receptacles. This meets code and is cost effective when you just can't run an equipment grounding conductor in an existing house.

#7 5 months ago

Some info here. See section 3K.
http://www.pinrepair.com/em/index.htm

#8 5 months ago

Schematics at pbresource

#9 5 months ago

Found this from someone on an EM Facebook group. This is what I was looking for (step by step replacement of the cord and addition of a toggle to older 60's pinball). https://pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=EM_Repair&fbclid=IwAR39B_qxFuGuSdQLBqEQszD_x9-ctOg0uYZ2ELeMFp7RB14oEpSN266zVRI#Adding_an_On.2FOff_Switch_to_an_EM

#10 5 months ago
Quoted from Catch86:

Schematics at pbresource

Yes, thanks. I bought one from them.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Apparel - Men
Pinside Shop
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 25.00
Apparel - Unisex
Project Pinball Charity
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 1,099.00
$ 40.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Arcade Arts
$ 249.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Tilttopper
$ 55.00
Various Novelties
Pinball Photos
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Armor And Blades
PinGraffix Pinside Shop
$ 9.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Medisinyl Mods
$ 28.00
Playfield - Other
Pin Monk
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pinball Haus
€ 8.10
Flipper Parts
Buthamburg
$ 76.95
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
$ 4.49
Electronics
Yorktown Arcade Supply
$ 79.99
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 5.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball
$ 154.00
Cabinet - Toppers
Id Rather Play Pinball
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Sparky Pinball
$ 9,099.00
Pinball Machine
Little Shop Of Games

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside