(Topic ID: 209336)

Add a Spinner to a Game?

By phil-lee

6 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

B24E20F0-DB03-4861-B855-4009CD0FA318 (resized).jpeg
    image-4 (resized).jpg
    image-5 (resized).jpg
    #1 6 years ago

I see a lot of Ems that could benefit from a spinner.Wide open left and right lanes with nothing going on. Any old photos or links where someone has done this?
    It could improve Play immensely but the "Keep it original" pressure is real.Nothing else would be changed.
    If it was done properly the value would stay the same or increase in my opinion. Kinda like a kit offered during the EM Era upgrading a machine when the new Technology was established.
    All opinions appreciated.

#2 6 years ago

I agree to some extent but in my opinion, it would only really be sweet if the spinner shot could be worth different points somehow. (Lit or unlit)

#3 6 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

All opinions appreciated.

Since you asked... I don't care for that kind of modification because it complicates future repairs because the schematic won't be correct.

#4 6 years ago

Also, for the most part, the Designers spent quite a bit of time "percentaging" the game's layout and ruleset so that average scoring was in the range of what the score reels could display.

A spinner, which in theory, would award multiple score steps each time the shot was made, would probably result in lots of roll-overs possibly even allowing for the replay levels to be awarded multiple times per game.

I guess it would all depend on what game you had in mind, and if said game could be "rigged" to compensate for the addition of the spinner in other ways.

#5 6 years ago

Myself and a buddy were recently talking about a Stars he saw many years back that had a spinner plopped down right in the middle of the pf, ostensibly tied into the advance bonus rollover button in the center pf. Good times. CrazyLevi

#6 6 years ago
    Quoted from phil-lee:

If it was done properly the value would stay the same or increase in my opinion.

It is too bad some machines had an opportunity for a spinner but those who designed the game decided not to use one for whatever reason, so it is what it is. If you modified the machine to the extent you are talking the Value would definitely decrease, as originality would be gone, along with balanced scoring, schematic issues, etc, etc. I would not buy a machine that has been modified to that extent. Just my 2 cents.

#7 6 years ago

I'd have no issue with someone adding a spinner to Chicago Coin's Gin. It could totally use a spinner on that left return lane.

image-5 (resized).jpgimage-5 (resized).jpg

image-4 (resized).jpgimage-4 (resized).jpg

2 years later
    #8 3 years ago

I'm thinking about this my self... I don't see why you couldnt link the leaf switch on the spinner to a small point leaf switch on the playfeild like a slingshot

#9 3 years ago

I always liked the idea of this on a game like Vulcan. There is a left orbit shot and 5 rollovers going up. They have a value unlit and lit so this would be a nice option to tie in.

#10 3 years ago

Not an EM but I always thought Power Play would benefit from a spinner or two immensely.

B24E20F0-DB03-4861-B855-4009CD0FA318 (resized).jpegB24E20F0-DB03-4861-B855-4009CD0FA318 (resized).jpeg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/add-a-spinner-to-a-game and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.