Topic Stats

• 11 posts
  • 7 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by nikpinball
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

Has any of you ever used an Add-A-Ball game in a tournament or league setting? How would you suggest doing so?

Also, I feel like I've heard that Add-A-Ball games can be easily converted to replay and back; is that correct?

Game in question is a Pro Pool.

#2 8 years ago

Haven't used AAB in a tournament so can't comment.

As for Pro Pool, it is AAB all the way.

Gottlieb made, for the most part, separate games for the AAB market. Bally and Williams had some each that were convertible between replay and AAB.

#3 8 years ago

We use (mostly my) add a balls in the Detroit Pinball League with some regularity. You can come up with all kinds of scenarios why this won't work, but it has always been fine. The endless games we have had over the years have, without exception, been DMD games.

As far as scoring goes, we use a first, second, third, fourth place system, so you are playing against 3 other people on the same machine for a given round and score v them. For single player games, you simply write down your score at the end of your game.

Disabling AAB would be game dependent. Plus, it would really hose up the rule set. This was why we (DPL) moved away from plunging extra balls to playing them on EMs and early SS machines. That said, you could study the schematic and come up with something in short order. If you have a WOW variety, you could just unsolder the coil to stop up the WOW. 5 seconds of looking at a Subway schematic shows that unsoldering the "K" (add-a-ball) relay would do the same thing on this machine.

#4 8 years ago

Some AAB games have a setting for scoring or AAB. If the bg has numbers over 100,000 plus,(200,000-300,000 etc.) there is usually a jones plug(usually a single plug w/two ,'options') in back to put to a different setting which at this moment my mind is blank for the name!

#5 8 years ago
Quoted from Cash_Riprock:

there is usually a jones plug(usually a single plug w/two ,'options') in back to put to a different setting which at this moment my mind is blank for the name!

It is called novelty scoring. Since it is in a tournament, the appropriateness of using this feature would need to be assessed.

#6 8 years ago
Quoted from newmantjn:

It is called novelty scoring. Since it is in a tournament, the appropriateness of using this feature would need to be assessed.

Is this an option on Pro Pool?

#7 8 years ago
Quoted from newmantjn:

YES, could not think of it at that moment!

Not familiar w/the game but look at the bg for 100,00-200,00 etc. as I posted above. It would light up as you score.

#8 8 years ago
Quoted from Collin:

Is this an option on Pro Pool?

I don't own a Pro Pool. You will have to look at yours and/or your schematic.

#9 8 years ago

No novelty scoring on Pro Pool.

#10 8 years ago

No novelty on pro pool I owned one. Lucky Hand has the 100000 -900000 in the backglass.

#11 8 years ago

We use AAB in tournaments and they usually are the most fun. You just play your game out the way you would any wedgehead and play yourEBs until your game is done. Just don't use any of the infinite mode super easy ones.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist
Decals
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
Electronics
TheDudeMods
Electronics
$ 259.99
Cabinet - Toppers
Lighted Pinball Mods
Toppers
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/add-a-ball-games-in-tournamentleague and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.