6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 5 posts
  • 2 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 6 years ago by dsuperbee
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20160814_084947601_iOS (resized).jpg
    20160814_085001988_iOS (resized).jpg
    20160814_084938823_iOS (resized).jpg
    #1 6 years ago

I'm trying to help someone remotely adapt the new Stern autoplunger to replace the original data east autoplunger for Tommy. If someone has pictures of how they mounted the new set up or a detailed write up that would be great.

Thanks in advance

#2 6 years ago
    Quoted from surfsidedetail:

I'm trying to help someone remotely adapt the new Stern autoplunger to replace the original data east autoplunger for Tommy. If someone has pictures of how they mounted the new set up or a detailed write up that would be great.
    Thanks in advance

I can help, just completed this last night. Will work on this later tonight.

#4 6 years ago

First, I got a ton of good info from the following links:
    http://www.purcellvillepinball.com/DataEastSegaSternRepairs.html#Tommy
    http://s1097.photobucket.com/user/Pinsational/library/Tommy%20auto-plunger%20mod?sort=2&page=1

Since my pf was chopped to bits, I had to rebuild the end of the shooter lane, and filled all the holes to get a blank slate. You may or may not want to do this.

After stripping off all the old components (the switch was already broken, so I let it hang. The coil was bad, so I had to desolder it and let the wires hang) and filling the holes, I used a clamp and a lead weight to help hold the ball in place while determining where to mount the new bracket. The clamp held the bracket to the pf, but let me adjust it until the fingers lined up with the ball and the pf. (The lead weight held the ball in place against the fingers). The end of the bracket on my game was almost perfectly aligned with the end of the metal rail, maybe 1/32" off. (The pictures in the 2nd link appears to be about the same.)

Once I had it aligned, I marked the holes, drilled pilot holes, and mounted the bracket.

I reused an old Williams bracket I had laying around (the original coil bracket was twisted a bit.) again using the clamp, I adjusted the position of the bracket until the plunger slid smoothly and there was no binding. Once I had that in place, I marked the 2 left holes on the inside of the pf, drilled pilot holes, and screwed in the screws. With these in place I could do the outside holes that were covered by the clamp.

Final part was the rollover switch. Again I used a bracket I had laying about, and I had to order a new switch. I had an old arm for the switch I mounted that worked out well. If your original switch is in good shape, you don't need to do much. Go into switch test, and using something to hold the ball in place, move around the switch until you find a spot it lines up with when the ball is in the proper spot. Mark, drill pilot holes, mount. Done.

It really isn't too bad. I did mine without measurements since my lane was in poor shape. The links above are all that I used. You can see what my shooter lane looked like below, and the rebuild. Still needs paint and some Mylar

#5 6 years ago

Install pics from my friends game:

20160814_084938823_iOS (resized).jpg20160814_084938823_iOS (resized).jpg

20160814_085001988_iOS (resized).jpg20160814_085001988_iOS (resized).jpg

20160814_084947601_iOS (resized).jpg20160814_084947601_iOS (resized).jpg

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/adapting-stern-auto-plunger-to-data-east and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.