Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 36 posts
  • 32 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by rad
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

tenor.gif
    #1 4 years ago

May be buying one of these soon.Adams is in great condition and May be HUO it’s that nice.It has one mod,uncle Lester and plays fine.Theatre is nice with clearcoated Playfield,mirror blades and Leds.Both are about the same price wth Adams $200 cheaper.Which one gets the nod under this scenario.And why are so many Theatres up for sale?Thanks

#2 4 years ago

Theatre of Magic is a good game but it gets old quick in a home setting. I owned mine less than a year and don’t miss it. I’d choose Addams Family out of the 2 that you mentioned.

#3 4 years ago

I never was a big Addams fan, but played the crap out of TOM in the arcades. In home use though, that music especially gets tiring pretty fast.

Although I don't care for Addams, there are plenty that probably think of it as the birth of pinball for them although T-2 was killing it on location before it came out, so if you buy it and don't like it, it shouldn't be too hard to unload and get your money back if you don't overpay for it.

#4 4 years ago

I own both and oddly enough they were purchased about twelve years ago at the same time. Both heavily routed and needed much work. Each game is a keeper in different ways.You cannot go wrong with either machine. I suspect that the rumours about TOM being remade by Chicago Gaming is pushing some owners into selling their games.

#5 4 years ago

Addams, some of the best call outs and theme integration in pinball. Good rule set too.

#6 4 years ago

Another Addams nod here. I think you’ll be happier long term.

#7 4 years ago

I'll vote for TOM, even in home use. Fun shots and great for kids/wives/friends who aren't super into pinball. There are some good scoring strategies that make it a good shooter for more advanced players, and there's a new ROM out there you can load that takes it up another notch. Excellent flow too!

#8 4 years ago

Owned both..addams

#9 4 years ago

Addams great theme and sound effects TOM gets boring left orbit.

#10 4 years ago

Twilight Zone.

Kidding.

That choice, I'd go Adams Family every time.

#11 4 years ago

Addams. Never leaving. Great flow. Classic! Played TOM. Not as good.

#12 4 years ago
    Quoted from drummermike:

Addams. Never leaving. Great flow for me. Classic! Played TOM. Not as good.

#13 4 years ago

Addams vote here as well. I do own one so I do have skin in the game but TOM in my humble opinion feels like a novelty pin. The theme makes you go "ooooohhh!" and the trunk is cool the first few times but after that the rest seems pretty darned mediocre. Doesn't mean it's not fun, just not as fun as TAF IMHO.
    BEST AUDIO CLIP IN PINBALL
    "It has to warm up, SO IT CAN KILL YOU...SHOWTIME!"

#14 4 years ago

Addams if I had to pick one. TOM is a great game though, just doesn't have longevity in my opinion. Buy whichever one comes up at a reasonable price first. When you get sick of it I doubt you'll lose much if any on either of these games.

#16 4 years ago

I've owned both - TOM left years ago. Get an TAF now, play it and then wait for CGC to do a remake of TOM. Doubt you'll ever see TAF remade due to licensing issues.....

#17 4 years ago

Addams!
    The topic needs a poll.

#18 4 years ago

TBH neither. Both are boring.

#19 4 years ago

SHOWTIME!

#20 4 years ago

Addams Family!!!

#21 4 years ago

Addams every day and twice on Sunday.

#22 4 years ago

I own both and to my surprise I tend to play TOM much more than TAF even after owning both for more than a year. Also, of my five pins TOM is the only one my wife really likes (so much that she paid for a new topper for it) so that fact only makes it a keeper for me.

I've also noted that many guests starts with TOM when choosing what to play first, so it does seem to have a great visual appeal. The cabinet art is just great and the magic theme is cool so I do understand them.

#23 4 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

Both are boring.

tenor.giftenor.gif
    #24 4 years ago

Any other choices? Lol. You have a great large collection so both wld be fine . Both are pretty easy and on the shallow side but they are super fun to play. Probably get taf as it wld be eaiser to sell down the road especially if its in amazing original shape.

#25 4 years ago
    Quoted from EricHadley:

neither. Both are boring.

Agree with this. Both are not good home games. Had Addams and sold it. Have not missed it at all.

#26 4 years ago

I've owned both and I could never get the Adam's out of here fast enough, never saw the fascination with that game.....UGH!! Theatre has been here for 17 years I think and will never leave, great everything. But you should decide for yourself.

John

#27 4 years ago

Addams all day and every day. Think about it this way. Which game has more variety of shots and harder shots. I personally really enjoy games with a 3rd (and 4th) flipper for that extra challenge. Hitting that side ramp while juggling the other balls in multi-ball keeps me coming back for more.

#28 4 years ago

Have both. Addams is a no brainer here.
    TAF, IMO, best DMD pin ever built.

#29 4 years ago

The Addams Family!

#30 4 years ago

Both are great games, but if its down to one, id go TAF

#31 4 years ago

Throwing out a good 3rd option.
    Johnny Mnemonic + $4k left over for beer.

#32 4 years ago
    Quoted from OldSchoolBlood:

Throwing out a good 3rd option.
    Johnny Mnemonic + $4k left over for beer.

Or even a Judge Dredd. You can buy a lot of beer with what is leftover after $1400.

#33 4 years ago

Addams all the way. I have owned both and TOM is gone and I dont miss it a bit.

#34 4 years ago

Both are great. Depends how much you play maybe, and how long you prefer a game to last.

TOM can become a grind, with marathon games that leave you out of breath and late for work or appointments.

TAF is much less forgiving and you'll rarely have marathon games / be late / overcook something because of a game that goes forever.

You can't go wrong either way, both are in high demand and you can sell/trade if you want to change it up.

#35 4 years ago

Had both twice sold both twice ...
    If I had to choose again ...AF ... best start to a multiball ever! ....Showtime...

#36 4 years ago

Addams for me as well. I've had both - sold both. I'd get another Addams - I have no interest in getting another TOM.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/adams-or-theatre?hl=guitarded and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.