Topic Stats

• 33 posts
  • 25 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 years ago by jsandjs
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 8 years ago

All available for around the same price going next week to have a look at them and will most likly get one.

Happy with all 3 games.

If they are all in the same condition and around the same price what one would you pick and why.

#2 8 years ago

They are all great.

What theme do you like best?

Do you want a deep game that you will forever be trying to beat? LOTR

Do you want a real fun, great looking pin, but not so deep? SS

Or do you want an all time classic, bit more stop and go ? TAF

#3 8 years ago

Can't go wrong with any of them. I would take TAF,SS,LOTR in that order.

#4 8 years ago

All are great, but i'd prolly go LOTR just because that one has the deepest ruleset. TAF is a classic so you really can't go wrong there either, but the gameplay can get repetitive. Over time, SS seems to have the least lasting value for me.

I'm curious what the pricing is...$3500? If that's the case, condition is going to play a big part in what's the best value.

#5 8 years ago

I have 2 of the 3. I agree with tatman.

#7 8 years ago

See if you can swing a deal for two.

SS and TAF would be my choice.

Johnny

#9 8 years ago

Are you buying just for yourself, or do you have a girlfriend/wife/family that you hope to get addicted - er, who you hope will enjoy playing as well? TAF is my favorite and I think it appeals to most everyone (love the gameplay, quotes, music and lighting), while LOTR is more of a serious pinhead pin (deeper rules) or for someone who ready likes the books/movies (I enjoy it but the build quality really sends on the lower end - the parts just look/feel cheap to me). I'm not big on SS, but I've only played it a few times.

#10 8 years ago

TAF if you just want fun pinball (my choice).
LOTR if you want to work for your goals - not as fun but more rewarding when you succeed in what you're trying to achieve.

#11 8 years ago

I also have 2 of 3 and (FWIW) my vote would be SS, TAF, LOTR.

#12 8 years ago

The Addams Family, ba-da-de-bump.

#13 8 years ago

I don't think you can make a bad choice with the ones you listed, that being said, I own 2 of them and played all of them. Lord of the Rings is by far the deepest game, however when we have family and friends they all seem to gravitate to the Addams Family. As for me I enjoy Addams the best too, by a touch, just something about it. I am fortunate to have a restored one so it plays like its out of the box that may have something to do with it. They are two pins that will most likely never leave my collection. I have played Scared Stiff enough that while I enjoy it, I'm ok if I never get one. So my order would be The Addams Family by a hair, Lord of the Rings next, then a distant 3rd, Scared Stiff. Hope this helps.

#14 8 years ago
Quoted from The_Dude_Abides:

I would go in this order myself. LOTR SS TAF

I am with TDA on this one...
However SS's theme alone, puts it ahead of LOTR (for me). I wonder why???
But with that in mind- TDA is right on the money for pin-staying power!
I think the real default Pinside answer is still...
"BUY ALL THREE!"

#15 8 years ago

SS, TAF, LOTR. In order by pure fun (what pinball should be...)

#16 8 years ago

Prices

TAF $4000 available now
SS $4000 unable to get it till late OCT
LOTR $4200 Available now

Aus $$ and sold in Aus so for me these are really great prices to at a minimum take alook at them.

I am going to sell my Batman Forever(Weak Flippers does my head in) to get 5/8 of the way there and try to find the rest someplace.

SS is the way im leaning as my local has a LOTR - Been playing TAF in the last few days as im out of town at the moment and there is one close by but as its not in great condition its turned me of a little.

#17 8 years ago

LOTR in a landslide followed by SS in a distant second and TAF a very, very distant third.

LOTR's great theme and deep ruleset make it well suited to a home collection. To me it is the greatest pin ever made, so consider me a bit biased.

#18 8 years ago
Quoted from Jamesiewaimsy:

Been playing TAF in the last few days as im out of town at the moment and there is one close by but as its not in great condition its turned me of a little.

That is the exact problem I had with TAF. All the ones I played were rough I didn't get the draw. I finally played a pristine one and what a difference, like a whole different game it was the reason I went out and got one. Until you play a fully working one it is hard to appreciate how innovative and plain fun it is.

Quoted from jarjarisgod:

LOTR's great theme and deep ruleset make it well suited to a home collection. To me it is the greatest pin ever made, so consider me a bit biased

Very True JarJar it is up there for sure. Got mine New in box back in December 03, it is the one I've had the longest. What you said is why LOTR will likely never leave my house.

#19 8 years ago
Quoted from jsandjs:

Very True JarJar it is up there for sure. Got mine New in box back in December 03, it is the one I've had the longest. What you said is why LOTR will likely never leave my house.

That's awesome that you picked yours up NIB way back in '03. Wish I could say the same. Mine has some miles on it, but it still rocks!

#20 8 years ago

The upper flipper was useless had only 20% fight in it.

#21 8 years ago

LOTR easily, then SS and no way on TAF...

#22 8 years ago

your wishlist has lotr and ss but no taf. i would get lotr myself considering the size of your collection. ss is a pin i would consider if i had 10+ machines in my collection, as it is somewhat simpler. nothing wrong with any of those, maybe sell all 3 of your pins and get ss and lotr

one deep pin in lotr and one fun beer drinking pin in ss. that would be a nice duo.

#23 8 years ago

If your looking for just a pure fun pin then i'd go in this order: SS, TAF, LOTR

If you want a deep Rule sheet then: LOTR, TAF, SS

Gotta ask yourself what your looking for in your next pin.

#24 8 years ago

I cant sell Maverick its not in me to do so I have owned it since I was like 13(15yrs ago), I had a 1/5 share before buying out my 2 brothers and 2 sisters who are not into pinball at all.

Maybe I might upgrade my T2 but im still really enjoying it at the moment.

I love pinballs with a kicker also as a side note.

#26 8 years ago

SS if you want a crowd pleaser pin, because of the great theme (the humor and innuendo makes it more appealing - depending of course on the circles you run in). It's not very deep, but it's one of the best non-deep pins I've played. Interesting PF design, too. Whole machine just looks absolutely amazing.

LoTR if you never want to see the wiz mode, and like 20-30 minute long games. Also a visually impressive game, but somehow a bit less striking than SS IMO. Sounds and art is very polished.

TAF... mmm... I havn't had good experiences with it. I would say it's the most challenging in terms of the physical game (while LoTR has a very deep ruleset, the playfield isn't terribly challenging, while TAF was designed by Pat Lawlor, and as such has a fairly challenging playfield). Probably the best choice in terms of building your skills.

I'd probably pick SS or TAF....

#27 8 years ago

LOTR - TAF - SS in that order for me.

#28 8 years ago

For those prices, Scared Stiff. The most overpriced game on that list by far is AF. LOTR is closer to $3,600 and a nice SS is typically $3,800 - $4K.

Quoted from Jamesiewaimsy:

TAF $4000 available now
SS $4000 unable to get it till late OCT
LOTR $4200 Available now

#29 8 years ago

Scared stiff wins for me! SS, AFM, LOTR

#30 8 years ago

Scared Stiff is a game I'd actually pay market price for, hell I dont want to buy those other two anyways. I have a friend in town with a shit hot version of both and playing just a few games a year of each is enough for me.

#31 8 years ago

Ah Pinball

What a mix, I think its just about even with what people rate as the best to buy, what ever I get I will have it along side just my Maverick and T2 at this stage.

Will go down and try them out see what they look like and what work may need to be done on them.

Thanks everyone.

#32 8 years ago

No problem JW!
Glad we could confuse the hell out of a fellow Pinsider!!!

Good luck with the hunt!
In the end... Get the one that will compliment the other two games I would say.

#33 8 years ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

No problem JW!
Glad we could confuse the hell out of a fellow Pinsider!!! []

Good luck with the hunt!
In the end... Get the one that will compliment the other two games I would say. []

Well said NP! your comment brought a smile to my face.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Machine - For Sale
Cincinnati, OH

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside