• no 112 votes
    43%
  • NOOOOOOOO!!!, it's going to hurt the value of my game 10 votes
    4%
  • no, just get an original, they don't flip late. 29 votes
    11%

(260 votes)

Topic Gallery

One image has been uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

hddd (resized).jpg

There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 4 months ago

I've been contemplating getting an adams family, but with the remakes, I figured I'd wait.
I know Rick and Llyod have gone on record several times saying " no, that's a dumbass idea, they made to many". Then there is the other side of the coin that the majority of them that were made, were routed and beat to crap, at least the majority that I've seen.
Not saying there aren't nice examples, but personally I'd rather just get one NIB, if they are going to be about the same price for a descent example, why not. Restored ones are selling for 10 and 11k

even on a players condition 4-5k machine, to get it looking new your easily looking at another 1500-2k worth of parts and another 60-90 hrs of labor. Don't know about you, but I got to many projects as is. I used to not like everything using SMT, even the LED's. Now I've accepted it and will learn how to fix the crap when it breaks. (Just wish part numbers were easier to get, I also wish a certain company would release schematics.)

#2 4 months ago

I think the biggest issue getting this remade would be the licensing.

#3 4 months ago

It was the most produced game ever. With over 20k of them out there I wonder if they would be able to sell enough of them to make it worthwhile?

#4 4 months ago

I think the biggest issue getting this remade would be time....

#5 4 months ago
Quoted from Only_Pinball:

probably, you never know though. guess if they could sell enough of them to offset it.... maybe in another 10 years if cgc is still around.

not really dead set on waiting, was curious to see if there was enough interest. Obviously there are a lot of titles that deserve to come before it due to the production levels.

Quoted from Kiwipinhead:

I think the biggest issue getting this remade would be time....

yup, probably better off getting one of the originals.

#7 4 months ago

No. Got an original already.

#8 4 months ago

Really doubt Addams will be remade any time soon, if ever.

#9 4 months ago

Yes, I'd route it for the rest of my days!

#10 4 months ago

TAF is readily available for whoever wants one.
They are everywhere.

#11 4 months ago

just wanted to point out that with the price TAF sells for, IF a remake ever happened it would likely cause an increase in the cost of originals.

I assume a remake will be 7k+

That would push up the value of originals.

#12 4 months ago
Quoted from Elevatorman:

TAF is readily available for whoever wants one.
They are everywhere.

Sure. So are galagas and Ms. Pac-mans, they made hundreds of thousands of each originally and since.

Yet they continue to produce and sell brand new ones.

People here always forget there's a huge audience for pins outside of Pinside, people who don't want to buy an old game out of someone's basement from a weird hobbyist, they want a brand new one from the Billiard shop in town to place in their brand new game room.

#13 4 months ago

Farsight made it happen with a $97k goal kickstarter for licensing. When you're selling $5 apps that can take a while to recoup but $8k pinballs is just a cost of business.

#14 4 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

People here always forget there's a huge audience for pins outside of Pinside,

you are delusional if you really think there is some huge audience buying pinball machines to put in their homes and they are not on Pinside, FB groups, etc...

The vast majority of people buying pinball machines are online and at minimum lurk on these groups.

#15 4 months ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

you are delusional if you really think there is some huge audience buying pinball machines to put in their homes and they are not on Pinside, FB groups, etc...
The vast majority of people buying pinball machines are online and at minimum lurk on these groups.

False. I sell dozens of games a year and very few of these people have ever heard of Pinside.

I will agree that the vast majority of them are "online" as it's 2018.

#16 4 months ago
Quoted from frolic:

Farsight made it happen with a $97k goal kickstarter for licensing. When you're selling $5 apps that can take a while to recoup but $8k pinballs is just a cost of business.

Keep in mind, that was without Christopher Lloyd (Uncle Fester) and Jimmy Workman (Pugsly).

#17 4 months ago

Instead of remakes, let utilize the peoples skills and make good original pinball machines . Not games from the past.....

#18 4 months ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

False. I sell dozens of games a year and very few of these people have ever heard of Pinside.

Quoted from CrazyLevi:

People here always forget there's a huge audience for pins outside of Pinside, people who don't want to buy an old game out of someone's basement from a weird hobbyist, they want a brand new one from the Billiard shop in town to place in their brand new game room.

I would have thought also that it would make the most sense to remake the high cost low volume games, but you make a good point. It seems TAF is often at arcades next to MM, SM and IMDN so it‘s clearly in high demand.

#19 4 months ago

TAF is always a condundrum. For the worlds highest produced game, you don’t see them up for sale that often. At least now with playfield being out for a while, you’re starting to see a few restored examples. When I got mine, it was really trashed - after a PF swap and a bunch of work it’s easy to see why the game was so popular. Great layout and fun. Despite recently selling mine I would like to see a reproduction out there but it’s unclear to me if the game will have sufficient demand. Maybe it will - it’s hard to tell.

#20 4 months ago
Quoted from chad:

Instead of remakes, let utilize the peoples skills and make good original pinball machines . Not games from the past.....

Supposedly CGC is / was working on an original game and had a Whitewood. Let hope if this is still in the works that it's not Vacation America 2.

#21 4 months ago
Quoted from pintechev:

Despite recently selling mine I would like to see a reproduction out there but it’s unclear to me if the game will have sufficient demand. Maybe it will - it’s hard to tell.

When people ask me how or where I purchase pins, it seems like this title gets mentioned more then any other. Like mentioned in a previous post, most don't want to mess with a 25 year old machine. Usually I try to steer them away from craigslist, ebay or even pinside because if something goes wrong, they won't have a contact. When the retail value of an older pin is higher than a new one, then it seems like there is opportunity regardless of the production amount.

Doubtful a remake would ever happen, but I think CGC and PPS would be surprised.

#22 4 months ago

Never cared for it much.

#23 4 months ago
Quoted from heme:

even on a players condition 4-5k machine,

Where are these?

#24 4 months ago
Quoted from tilted81:

Where are these?

In the land of hopes and wishes from someone looking to buy...

#25 4 months ago
Quoted from tilted81:

Where are these?

I didn't bother looking at the archived sales thread.
Maybe you could get a trashed one for 4-5k, but your right I haven't seen one.

#26 4 months ago

I see these things all over. I'd be more interested in games that aren't out there in mass.

#27 4 months ago

I wonder what all the licensing would entail?
What I mean by that is that the translight and play field both use the likeness of most of the actors from the movie.
Getting the license from the movie company is one thing.
You might have a situation like back to the future where Michael J Fox didn't sign off on it (hence you have his face covered with glasses).
I'm not sure how that all works, but if you have to get each of the actors to sign off on using their likeness, then I doubt a remake would ever happen.
Not to mention Raul Julia is no long with us and you would be dealing with heirs or an estate.
Seems like there might be a lot more to remaking a game like this compared to others where its just one basic theme you have to get licensing for.

#28 4 months ago

Supposedly CGC is / was working on an original game and had a Whitewood. Let hope if this is still in the works that it's not Vacation America 2.

That's silly. They're clearly doing 60 Days In, designed by the Vacation America designer.

#29 4 months ago

exactly. Don't wait. Licensing on this title would be a b*tch given the likeness license they'd have to do for the actors on the backglass. I just don't see Addams ever being remade unless another reboot / feature film is done.

#30 4 months ago

you can't throw a dead cat without it hitting a Adams family. this is the one pin i've never had any problem finding on location. everyone knows this pin was mass produced. so i feel it would be a big waste, would much rather see a more rare pin be remade.

#31 4 months ago
Quoted from heme:

Maybe you could get a trashed one for 4-5k, but your right I haven't seen one.

The baseline price these days seems to hover around $5000-$6000 for an average or player's example that flips.

I got a game in good shape for much less than that, but it did take a considerable amount of hunting for several years before I finally got my hands on one last year.

The price is creeping up a little bit (along with most popular titles), with some nicer examples in the $6500-$7000 range. However, unless it hits close to $10k+ like some of the other titles that CGC remade, I don't think they will see it as worth their time if you can get an original example for a lot less than a new one (especially with more difficulty and higher costs with licensing this title, and the profit margin would be much smaller).

#32 4 months ago

I may sell mine. Good shape low kick out wear.

#33 4 months ago

What if there was a remake which was the same game, shots, rules, etc. but a different theme? This would involve new art, new callouts, music, but otherwise would be the same game. Would it be fun ? Would anyone buy it? Or would we constantly be thinking "on TAF, that's where Gomez says 'Greed...'" and the music is supposed to go X,Y, Z.... ?

#34 4 months ago

I think a TAF remake would sell incredibly well regardless what used ones go for. I prefer original but even though they made 20,000 of them, TAF is not that easy to find. Even when you find one, chances are they are heavily routed and expensive. If you could just pick up the phone and get a brand new one dropped on your doorstep, that's going to be attractive for a lot of people. Even if it's more expensive than the originals, paying a little extra for a brand new game with updated features like better lighting and a warranty is going to be worth it to most. It's a great game and has remained very popular over the years. Even non-pinheads recognize that game since chances are they have seen them in somewhere on location back in the day. It has to be considering the top classic pin from the 90s. Maybe not your favorite but the game that most people gravitate to.

#35 4 months ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

However, unless it hits close to $10k+ like some of the other titles that CGC remade, I don't think they will see it as worth their time if you can get an original example for a lot less than a new one (especially with more difficulty and higher costs with licensing this title, and the profit margin would be much smaller).

Kind of what I was thinking to, which is why I was confused to see TOM on the list.

Usually don't see that title selling for more then 6k maybe 6500. obviously there is no license like adams, but...

3 weeks later
#36 3 months ago

TAF is definitely on their list, but is down the list a bit.

2 months later
#37 49 days ago

Taf is on the top of my list. Taf (along with jjp toy story or jjp harry potter) would be my first NIB purchase and pre order!!!!! Come on CG lets do this!

#38 49 days ago

Top of my list too.

#39 49 days ago

And the number 1 pin any non-pinhead asks me about buying and/or if they could buy a new one is.............................................
...............................Drum roll please..................................................................................
..............................................................................................The Addams Family!!!!!!

#40 49 days ago

I would be a buyer day one for a remake if a very nice original doesn't come up first.

#41 49 days ago

Pinheads love it too!

2 weeks later
#42 35 days ago

I'd buy two: one for me and one for my nephew.

#43 35 days ago

I can't wait for this! Then all of those crazy overpriced beaten up AF will plummet in value and sell for what a beaten up game should.

#44 35 days ago

As an owner of an original since 1992, I think you can guess what I voted

Seems crazy to remake the most produced pinball of the modern age, but with Congo's going for $5K,(they couldn't give them away back in 96), nothing would surprise me in this crazy market!!

#45 35 days ago

Stern should have made The Munsters into a TAF clone. They missed a golden opportunity.

#46 35 days ago
Quoted from Squeakman:

I can't wait for this! Then all of those crazy overpriced beaten up AF will plummet in value and sell for what a beaten up game should.

Amen.

Either way I cant wait until a TAFr becomes a reality.

#47 34 days ago

Lots of these made but it is tough for me to buy a hashed game for 5k$ that needs a playfield.. this will sell if it’s made, people say to me “oh you have pinball machines, do you have addams family?” But they have never heard of any other machines. These need to be routed again too.. get it done!

#48 34 days ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

What if there was a remake which was the same game, shots, rules, etc. but a different theme? This would involve new art, new callouts, music, but otherwise would be the same game. Would it be fun ? Would anyone buy it? Or would we constantly be thinking "on TAF, that's where Gomez says 'Greed...'" and the music is supposed to go X,Y, Z.... ?

I think taf is so popular because it ticks all the boxes for most people, gameplay, theme, sounds, art. It all comes together pretty nicely

#49 34 days ago

I would get one in a heartbeat cause I want the updated display and a damn ball save! Please CGC, make it so and then pinballstar can TAKE MY MONEY!!

#50 34 days ago
Quoted from fxdwg:

I would get one in a heartbeat cause I want the updated display and a damn ball save! Please CGC, make it so and then pinballstar can TAKE MY MONEY!!

Ball save on TAF? Blasphemy! lol

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 48.00
Cabinet - Other
ModFather Pinball Mods
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
10,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Somerset, KY
$ 16.00
$ 24.99
Lighting - Led
Lee's Parts
$ 24.25
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
The MOD Couple
$ 10.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods
$ 1,099.00
$ 229.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 28.00
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
New York City, NEW YORK
$ 50.00
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 27.99
Playfield - Protection
Lee's Parts
$ 55.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Photos
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Lighting - Led
Comet Pinball
$ 29.99
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Lighted Pinball Mods
$ 58.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lermods
There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside